daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 1st, 2014, 09:33 PM   #3061
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10786

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
I like this photo of Vancouver a lot. I have no issue with all the glass condos. It's just that they are so short. If they were all over 150 meters tall. That would make a big difference to me as far as how I would rank Vancouver.
Vancouver is very photogenic and agree about the height. I'm wondering how much longer they can continue building stumps. The peninsula on which their downtown sits is close to built out. If they want to grow they have nowhere to go except up. Btw, it's Pittsburgh.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2014, 09:54 PM   #3062
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia183rd View Post
Right, and this coming from a guy who lives in a city that's tallest residential tower is 135M lol and talks about others being short and fat

It must be tough to get excited about a city with little to no new construction, don't hate, congratulate, like we would do for you
18 buildings here over 150m. Currently have a 190m residential U/C and 3 more (all residential) buildings over 180m fully approved and all expected to start within the next 1-2 years.

Also our current tallest residential is 145m. It's the tallest blue glass one in this pic and actually looks pretty good and uses high quality material. I am not a fan of the 2 residential buildings in the front left of this, and if they were twice as tall it doesn't mean I would suddenly call them good. They would just be more prominent pieces of crap.

Boston has also been "booming" for a couple years now on the lower levels, with an absolute ton of filler construction up to around 300'. These upcoming taller buildings (9 total from 400'-691' fully approved and expected to be built imminently, with more proposals on the table) will be a huge boost to an area already full of cranes.

In the below pic I love Wachovia (or whatever it's called now), the concrete brute in the background to the left of it, the Miami Tower which I think I can just see peaking out to the left of that, and am also a pretty big fan of that blue and green glass office tower. The 8 or so buildings in the foreground are absolutely awful, and the type that would be thinner, taller, and unabashedly criticized were they built in Dubai. The vast majority of buildings I truly like in the Miami skyline were all built in the 70's and 80's. That's why i rank it lower than its size. Even though many of these new buildings are huge, I wouldn't want them in my city or within 1000 miles of it.

(however, to defend it a little, the red-topped building towards the right is pretty cool, and I am marginally positive towards the 3 blocky blue glass towers to the left with the white grids)

Quote:

Last edited by DZH22; February 1st, 2014 at 10:02 PM.
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 09:56 PM   #3063
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
It must be tough to get excited about a city with little to no new construction, don't hate, congratulate, like we would do for you
I know! Be happy another North American city is in the process of getting a world-class skyline!

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Vancouver is very photogenic and agree about the height. I'm wondering how much longer they can continue building stumps. The peninsula on which their downtown sits is close to built out. If they want to grow they have nowhere to go except up.
But doesn't Vancouver also have height restrictions because of aviation interests?

Quote:
Btw, it's Pittsburgh.
Thanks!
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 10:08 PM   #3064
DZH22

Whether y'all agree with my list or not, everything on it is at least defensible. It's not like I said something like....
1. Hartford
2. Raleigh
3. NYC
4. Boston
5. Jacksonville
6. Winnipeg
7. Shanghai

Old February 1st, 2014, 10:44 PM   #3065
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
In the below pic I love Wachovia (or whatever it's called now), the concrete brute in the background to the left of it, the Miami Tower which I think I can just see peaking out to the left of that, and am also a pretty big fan of that blue and green glass office tower. The 8 or so buildings in the foreground are absolutely awful, and the type that would be thinner, taller, and unabashedly criticized were they built in Dubai.
Wachovia became Wells Fargo and consolidated into the blue/green glass tower. The tallest tower in my photo, which was Wachovia, has now gone back to its original name when it opened back in 1984 - Southeast Financial Center and remains my favorite building in Miami after 3 decades. It was designed by the prestigious architectural firm of Skidmore, Owings, and Merrill, btw. The Miami Tower was designed by I. M. Pei out of New York. We were lucky to get these two bulidings when we did, and they have aged well.

The buildings in the foreground on Brickell Key we pretty much all hate down here too, along with the three across the river from it. We're left wondering what the hell were they thinking.

Hopefully, we will get better designs in this decade with the condo madness of the last decade gone and a more substantial boom based on real demand underway in this decade.

Quote:
Whether y'all agree with my list or not, everything on it is at least defensible.
One way your list is defensible is in that just about all of the cities you've placed above Miami, except for Boston and San Francisco, there are more buildings over 200 meters tall if that is a criterion any one wants to use, and San Francisco's skyline is complimented by its suspension bridges. Miami has a ton of buildings in the 150-200 meter height range, but only 3 above 200 meters. That will change in this decade starting this year.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Old February 1st, 2014, 11:24 PM   #3066
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31694

San Francisco, USA

image hosted on flickr

San Francisco from Twin Peaks by Sarmu, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

San Francisco view from Protero Hill by Rafael Ramirez Photographer, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

San Francisco, on and on... by 'Mick's Pics', on Flickr

JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 04:34 AM   #3067
rafark
Mirador SSC México

Location: no importa el país, somos humanos viviendo en un mismo lugar.
Likes (Received): 4439

Quote:
Early 2014 rankings:
1. NYC
2. Chicago
3. Toronto
4. LA
5. Philly
6. Atlanta
7. Houston
8. Boston
9. Seattle
10. San Francisco
11. Panama City
12. Dallas
13. Miami
14. Montreal
15. Calgary
16. Pittsburgh
17. Mexico City
18. Minneapolis
19. Vancouver
20. Detroit
21. Charlotte
22. Denver
23. Cleveland

Obviously there is a lot of separation between the top 3 and the rest of the crowd.

Before you complain that City X has more skyscrapers than City Y and therefore should be higher, I also consider overall height, depth, density/proximity, QUALITY (especially at the top), and layout.
Then why the ***** is doing Panama in that list?

La grandeza de mexico esta en su futuro.

iPhone Juegos Mas

¡ NO AL FLÚOR !

sergio_235 liked this post

Last edited by rafark; February 2nd, 2014 at 04:43 AM.
rafark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 07:26 AM   #3068
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafark View Post
Then why the ***** is doing Panama in that list?
There are many factors that go into judging a skyline. Panama City has the quantity and height to sit comfortably as the #4 skyline in North America. Obviously, I ranked it much lower than that. Check this out. It's not perfect, but probably the best mathematical ranking system I know of. You'll see Panama City's skyline is almost the size of Toronto.

http://tudl0867.home.xs4all.nl/skylines.html

Old February 2nd, 2014, 07:40 AM   #3069
rafark
Mirador SSC México

Location: no importa el país, somos humanos viviendo en un mismo lugar.
Likes (Received): 4439

Quote:

There are many factors that go into judging a skyline. Panama City has the quantity and height to sit comfortably as the #4 skyline in North America. Obviously, I ranked it much lower than that. Check this out. It's not perfect, but probably the best mathematical ranking system I know of. You'll see Panama City's skyline is almost the size of Toronto.

Height and quantity are amazing, but the quality of the skyscrapers it's not something I'd call beautiful, or at least acceptable; it's like a mini-Dubai. The changes the city have had over the past years are outstanding, and have brought really positive things to the city, which I'm glad, but in terms of skyline, I

La grandeza de mexico esta en su futuro.

iPhone Juegos Mas

¡ NO AL FLÚOR !
rafark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 07:45 AM   #3070
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
But doesn't Vancouver also have height restrictions because of aviation interests?
Their height restrictions have to do with protecting view planes of the mountains enjoyed by wealthy condo owners. It's not about safety or protecting views for regular Vancouverites.

You can only see the mountains if you look down a street canyon that terminates on the water with the mountains in the distance. This is all about catering to a few rich people to the detriment of the overall city.

They already have absurdly high real estate prices, but continue to build stumps. If these 30 floor residential buildings were built 120 floors instead, housing would be far more affordable. Eventually city planners will have to come to their senses.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Old February 2nd, 2014, 07:48 AM   #3071
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31694

Panama City, Panama

image hosted on flickr

Panoramica Ciudad de Panama-Reducida by Bernai Velarde, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Panama Skyline by chexuhr, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Panama Skyline hdr by Insology.com, on Flickr
Old February 2nd, 2014, 08:15 AM   #3072
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Their height restrictions have to do with protecting view planes of the mountains enjoyed by wealthy condo owners. It's not about safety or protecting views for regular Vancouverites.

You can only see the mountains if you look down a street canyon that terminates on the water with the mountains in the distance. This is all about catering to a few rich people to the detriment of the overall city.

They already have absurdly high real estate prices, but continue to build stumps. If these 30 floor residential buildings were built 120 floors instead, housing would be far more affordable. Eventually city planners will have to come to their senses.
That's ashame, because some very tall towers would look spectacular against that natural scenery!

My photo threads:

Old February 2nd, 2014, 08:19 AM   #3073
isaidso
the new republic

It will happen eventually or Vancouver's growth will come screeching to a halt due to a market no one can afford to live in.

Old February 2nd, 2014, 09:25 AM   #3074
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12192

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvitor2012 View Post
I like the North American skyline, are fascinating!

Hello everybody, my name is João(Jonh) and i am from Brazil.
Hi!
Old February 2nd, 2014, 09:33 AM   #3075
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
Hi!

My photo threads:

Old February 2nd, 2014, 02:38 PM   #3076
isaidso
the new republic

Calgary, Alberta

http://digitalartist.smugmug.com/Galleries/Calgary/

mia183rd, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; February 2nd, 2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 02:49 PM   #3077
Denjiro
Heathen

Likes (Received): 7095

Toronto, Ontario

image hosted on flickr

Hey ducks, you are in my shot! by Jackman Chiu, on Flickr
Old February 2nd, 2014, 03:14 PM   #3078
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
It's not perfect, but probably the best mathematical ranking system I know of. You'll see Panama City's skyline is almost the size of Toronto.

I find that resource offers an excellent starting point. Statistics strip out personal preferences so one can see how subjective criteria like architecture, quality, familiarity, and iconic structures alter our views.

I thought I'd compile a list of north America's biggest skylines from that study:

01. New York
02. Chicago
03. Toronto
04. Panama City
05. Miami

06. Houston
07. Los Angeles
08. Atlanta
09. Mexico City
10. San Francisco

11. Las Vegas
12. Dallas
13. Philadelphia
14. Calgary
15. Boston

16. Seattle
17. Vancouver
18. Montreal
19. Honolulu
20. Minneapolis

Old February 2nd, 2014, 06:11 PM   #3079
mia183rd

Likes (Received): 270

Quote:
18 buildings here over 150m. Currently have a 190m residential U/C and 3 more (all residential) buildings over 180m fully approved and all expected to start within the next 1-2 years.

Wow

Also our current tallest residential is 145m. It's the tallest blue glass one in this pic and actually looks pretty good and uses high quality material. I am not a fan of the 2 residential buildings in the front left of this, and if they were twice as tall it doesn't mean I would suddenly call them good. They would just be more prominent pieces of crap.

I thought your tallest residential building was 135 M based on this link

http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?cityID=145

Thanks to you I now know the tallest residential building is 145M, once again lets give it up

Boston has also been "booming" for a couple years now on the lower levels, with an absolute ton of filler construction up to around 300'. These upcoming taller buildings (9 total from 400'-691' fully approved and expected to be built imminently, with more proposals on the table) will be a huge boost to an area already full of cranes.

Again congrats

In the below pic I love Wachovia (or whatever it's called now), the concrete brute in the background to the left of it, the Miami Tower which I think I can just see peaking out to the left of that, and am also a pretty big fan of that blue and green glass office tower. The 8 or so buildings in the foreground are absolutely awful, and the type that would be thinner, taller, and unabashedly criticized were they built in Dubai. The vast majority of buildings I truly like in the Miami skyline were all built in the 70's and 80's. That's why i rank it lower than its size. Even though many of these new buildings are huge, I wouldn't want them in my city or within 1000 miles of it.

Appreciate the props but about the buildings in the foreground, they are built on a small island just off our downtown streets and were built to be a bit different, whole different feel / vibe like small village off the busy streets a small get away for those residents, they have no office towers like you enjoy, just residential, 2 of the buildings on that small island are taller then your tallest residential building at 145 M maybe that's where your jealousy comes into play

(however, to defend it a little, the red-topped building towards the right is pretty cool, and I am marginally positive towards the 3 blocky blue glass towers to the left with the white grids)

Next you make your list don't forget the facts

mia183rd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 06:53 PM   #3080
DZH22

Quote:
Next you make your list don't forget the facts
I didn't realize I needed to write 300 words about every city I want to rank in a personal list that is just as subjective as it is objective. I can defend the placement of any city on my list, but I'm not going to preemptively write a novel just because (random person) may not agree with me on something.