daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 25th, 2014, 01:57 PM   #3341
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

One North American city that doesn't have density problems outside of the core... Boston
(I would also add NYC, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Montreal, and Baltimore to the short list)

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2014, 02:15 PM   #3342
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10806

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
One North American city that doesn't have density problems outside of the core... Boston
(I would also add NYC, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Montreal, and Baltimore to the short list)
There are lots besides those.

Foreigners see a big drop off from the central core and what's beyond and erroneously conclude that it's all low rise suburbia. In many cases, it just looks sparse in comparison to the downtown cluster. In reality, there's good density for quite a distance. It's just 3-10 floors instead of 30-80 floors.

Montreal

image hosted on flickr

Montréal by Jean-Michel Villanove on Flickr

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; March 25th, 2014 at 02:35 PM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2014, 02:32 PM   #3343
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
There are lots besides those.
Yes, but I would put those as the top 6, top tier dense (big) cities. Add Mexico City too, which I tend to forget is even part of North America!

Second tier would probably be.... Pittsburgh, Seattle, Washington DC (no real skyline so doesn't *really* fit), ummmm.... I don't know.

Also under consideration... Toronto, Vancouver, Chicago, and maybe Detroit? KC? Cincinnati? Milwaukee? Minneapolis?

However, anything outside the top tier is going to water down the list and play to the arguments of foreigners.

Old March 25th, 2014, 02:44 PM   #3344
isaidso
the new republic

Both photos and data would suggest that Toronto is denser than Boston. Vancouver might be as well. These 2 also have high rise clusters throughout their urban footprint.

Boston's central city is 232 sq km, has 636,479 people, and a density of 2,743 people sq km. Toronto's central city is 630 sq km, has 2,791,140 people, and a density of 4,430 people sq km. Not only is Toronto denser, but over an area almost 3 times the size. As a point of reference, New York City is 786 sq km, has 8,336,697 people, and a density of 10,606 people sq km. Vancouver is 115 sq km, has 603,502 people, and a density of 5,248 people sq km.

Boston has good density beyond the downtown core, but you're discounting what exists in quite a number of other cities. 7 km north of the lake, you'll still find this type of density in Toronto:

image hosted on flickr

TTC Near Eglinton by beinntoaig, on Flickr

3 km to the east of the CN Tower the density is still quite good. It's the same to the west of the CN Tower for a good 4 km or a 7 km stretch.

image hosted on flickr

King & River par pəruse, sur Flickr

10 km east of the CN Tower the density is considerably lower, but still decent:

image hosted on flickr

Fireball by woodrow walden, on Flickr

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; March 25th, 2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old March 25th, 2014, 03:02 PM   #3345
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Both photos and data would suggest that Toronto is denser than Boston. Vancouver might be as well. These 2 also have high rise clusters throughout their urban footprint.

Boston's central city is 232 sq km, has 636,479 people, and a density of 2,743 people sq km. Toronto's central city is 630 sq km, has 2,791,140 people, and a density of 4,430 people sq km. Not only is Toronto denser, but over an area almost 3 times the size. As a point of reference, New York City is 786 sq km, has 8,336,697 people, and a density of 10,606 people sq km. Vancouver is 115 sq km, has 603,502 people, and a density of 5,248 people sq km.
Boston is 48 square miles, or 124 square km. That would put its density over 5000 people per sq km. Unless, of course, you think it's fair to measure the water area as well, which makes up about half of Boston's total area? (ocean, river, etc)

Boston's inner ring suburbs are denser than Boston itself. Somerville (the densest) is over 7200. Just saying.

Old March 25th, 2014, 03:05 PM   #3346
DZH22

Wherever you are from, this is probably denser than your city

Old March 25th, 2014, 04:25 PM   #3347
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Boston is 48 square miles, or 124 square km. That would put its density over 5000 people per sq km. Unless, of course, you think it's fair to measure the water area as well, which makes up about half of Boston's total area? (ocean, river, etc)

Boston's inner ring suburbs are denser than Boston itself. Somerville (the densest) is over 7200. Just saying.
The City of Toronto includes tons of water and parkland as well. If you want to use a smaller catchment area, Toronto could too. The 'Old City of Toronto' is 97 sq km and has about 800,000 people today or 8,250 people sq km.

Quote:
Wherever you are from, this is probably denser than your city
That looks good, but it's not denser than where I live. My census tract was 24,333 people sq km in 2011, the next one over was 25,916 people sq km in 2011, the next one was 30,148 people sq km in 2011 .... and no that's not a typo. I think you'll find Toronto is denser which ever way you want to slice it. I live in this frame and none of the census tracts I mentioned includes that tall condo under construction.

Courtesy of Razz

Last edited by isaidso; March 25th, 2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old March 25th, 2014, 04:59 PM   #3348
DZH22

On the other hand, defining density solely by population doesn't tell the whole story. Look at the main core of Toronto, aka the area surrounding FCP/Scotia Plaza. Would you say that it lacks density due to containing giant office towers and not residentials?

If you took 1000 people, and stuck them into a skyscraper that was otherwise in the middle of a field, would that area have the same "density" as a jam packed lowrise area that also contains 1000 people?

Please show me the numbers that prove the 63k/km. I have not been able to find corroborating evidence for this claim. Are there actually 63,000 people in that square km, or are you basing this off of extrapolating a much smaller area?

Old March 25th, 2014, 05:29 PM   #3349
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
On the other hand, defining density solely by population doesn't tell the whole story. Look at the main core of Toronto, aka the area surrounding FCP/Scotia Plaza. Would you say that it lacks density due to containing giant office towers and not residentials?

If you took 1000 people, and stuck them into a skyscraper that was otherwise in the middle of a field, would that area have the same "density" as a jam packed lowrise area that also contains 1000 people?
Those are valid points. The Toronto CBD is one of the least dense neighbourhoods in the core. It does lack a large residential population, but it's also registering one of the biggest spikes in residential population in the whole metropolitan area.

Trump, L Tower, and Shangri-La were the first major residential towers built in the CBD in years, but will be joined by INDX and 88 Scott... currently under construction. Massey Tower, 2 Queen West, and Yonge + Rich will likely break ground this spring/summer. In Southcore, Toronto's new CBD, the residential population will likely hit 20,000 people within a few years. In that area directly north of the CN Tower, roughly 30 condo towers are rising to compliment an already substantial residential population.

Quote:
Please show me the numbers that prove the 63k/km. I have not been able to find corroborating evidence for this claim. Are there actually 63,000 people in that square km, or are you basing this off of extrapolating a much smaller area?
Shit, I mixed up sq km and sq mile so I'll fix the above post. Sorry about that.

The data is from Statistics Canada. Census tracts are very small, but when you combine 3-4 adjacent tracts you start to see that the density is consistently high where I live. You can google 'Statistics Canada Census Tract 5350066.00' and you should get a quite detailed analysis. Below I've listed my census tract followed by the next 2 over.

Census Tract 5350066.00 bounded by Jarvis, Wellesley, Parliament, and Carlton contained 8,030 people in 2011. Its area is 0.33 sq km giving it a population density of 24,333 people/sq km or 63,039 people/sq mile. Below I've listed the population of this census tract over the past 3 censuses:

2001: 6,965
2006: 7,120
2011: 8,030

Census Tract 5350063.01 bounded by Yonge, Bloor, Church, and Carlton contained 8,293 people in 2011. Its area is 0.32 sq km giving it a population density of 25,916 people/sq km or 67,140 people/sq mile. Below I've listed the population of this census tract over the past 3 censuses:

2001: 6,846
2006: 7,299
2011: 8,293

Census Tract 5350063.02 bounded by Church, Bloor, Jarvis, and Carlton contained 6,934 people in 2011. Its area is 0.23 sq km giving it a population density of 30,148 people/sq km or 78,104 people/sq mile. Below I've listed the population of this census tract over the past 3 censuses:

2001: 5,494
2006: 6,098
2011: 6,934

As Somerville (75,754 people) is 10.9 sq km you'd need to string together about 35 adjacent census tracts to get a similarly sized area. There's really no other way to find a comparably sized area in Toronto. Census tracts are the best way to go, but takes a lot of work to tabulate. It's also tricky picking tracts that form a compact block that makes sense.

Last edited by isaidso; March 25th, 2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old March 25th, 2014, 05:44 PM   #3350
DZH22

1 square mile = 2.59 square km, so definitely a bit of an error there!

Look at Boston on this link. It has a tract with 110,000 people per square mile, one of only 4 US cities to have an area this dense.
http://beyonddc.com/?p=4808

Old March 25th, 2014, 05:54 PM   #3351
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
1 square mile = 2.59 square km, so definitely a bit of an error there!
Yep, a big error.

Quote:
Look at Boston on this link. It has a tract with 110,000 people per square mile, one of only 4 US cities to have an area this dense.
http://beyonddc.com/?p=4808
Thanks for the link. 110,000 people/sq mile is very dense. We have a few crazy bits like that as well. St. Jamestown just a few blocks northeast of me is the densest tract in Canada. A new proposal (7 tower 1 Yonge) southwest of the CBD will become the densest in Canada if it gets built. Here's a rendering of it:

http://www.toronto.ca/planning/lower...1and7yonge.htm

St. Jamestown: Census Tract 5350065.00 bounded by Bloor, Parliament, Wellesley, and Sherbourne contained 13,974 people in 2011. Its area is 0.23 sq km giving it a population density of 60,756 people/sq km or 157,399 people/sq mile. Below I've listed the population of this census tract over the past 3 censuses:

2001: 16,225
2006: 14,666
2011: 13,974

As you can see, its density is declining. That's a rarity in Toronto, but it seems to have stabilized. There are plans to build quite a few new towers in this census tract so its population density could spike back up to about 200,000 people/sq mile if it all gets built.

http://geodepot.statcan.gc.ca/GeoSea...2&boundaryType

Last edited by isaidso; March 25th, 2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old March 25th, 2014, 06:23 PM   #3352
DZH22

I will admit that I am still impressed with Toronto's density, even if I knew that your initial numbers looked a bit preposterous.

I think the other main difference (density-wise) between Boston and Toronto is the way that the cities were constructed. Boston had over half a million people by/before 1900, and had much of the city's footprint developed prior to cars, subways, and other motorized means of transporation. Thus, the city seems to be as slammed together as humanly possible, with the density emanating out of the core in all (land) directions. It is one brilliant, walkable urban area (#3 big city in the US, with its inner 'burbs including Somerville and Cambridge ranking even higher).

Toronto, on the other hand, came into its own more recently, and is dominated by specific major streets (such as Yonge I think) and transit nodes. These areas are very dense, but I think the density sort of relaxes when you leave these major roads and transportation hubs. Toronto's skyline definitely sprawls out much further due to this.

They are both dense cities in their own right, and models for historic and modern urban planning.

Old March 25th, 2014, 07:16 PM   #3353
isaidso
the new republic

Yes, Boston was a much bigger city than Toronto 100 years ago and the built form reflects that. Boston was easily much denser than Toronto for most of the last 150 years, but that's not really the case any more. Density only started spiking in the 1970s with high rises going up in many places outside of downtown Toronto.

The biggest changes have occurred since 2007 and I suspect the city is only witnessing the tip of the iceberg. The demands resulting from population growth will need to be met on already developed land rather than a building out onto farmland. Density levels are heading much much higher.

You're quite right in that Boston and Toronto differ significantly in how the density is spread around. Boston seems to have more uniform high density while in Toronto it varies quite a bit. The lower density areas are witnessing intensification, but there's quite a strong backlash from long time Toronto residents. As much as the attention is on Toronto's skyscraper boom, the key to meeting the demands for new residential and office space lie in low and mid rises. We'll need 1000s of buildings like the one below:

Origami Lofts, Bathurst Street

Courtesy of Teeple Architects

Btw, I used to live in Montreal and people always seem to make comparisons between it and Boston. The walkability of Boston is well know amongst Canadians. That said, I do think Toronto deserves to be part of the conversation when one talks about dense cities beyond the core. The city has changed a great deal and there's lots of intensification efforts throughout metropolitan Toronto.

Old March 25th, 2014, 09:53 PM   #3354
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31804

Philadelphia

In all its glory by ValentinLiteratus, on Flickr

JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2014, 05:01 AM   #3355
GdlMty
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8577

Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico.

GdlMty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2014, 03:52 AM   #3356
GdlMty
BANNED

Leon, Guanajuato, Mexico.

image hosted on flickr

Old March 27th, 2014, 03:54 AM   #3357
GdlMty
BANNED

Acapulco, Guerrero, Mexico.

image hosted on flickr

Leu, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old March 27th, 2014, 05:15 AM   #3358
Leu
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

-_______México

Leu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2014, 05:33 AM   #3359
DCFC1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 221

New York, Chicago and San Francisco ..

American cities descend waaaay too quickly into a bunch of car lots and a flat desert of residential nothingness.. ..

These three cities kinda escape that ..
DCFC1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2014, 05:36 AM   #3360
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCFC1 View Post
New York, Chicago and San Francisco ..

American cities descend waaaay too quickly into a bunch of car lots and a flat desert of residential nothingness.. ..

These three cities kinda escape that ..
Does this mean you don't agree with DZH22 regarding Boston?
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote