daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 13th, 2014, 04:30 AM   #3541
GdlMty
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8577

Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by GdlMty; May 15th, 2014 at 04:50 AM.
GdlMty no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2014, 05:24 AM   #3542
Hia-leah JDM

Likes (Received): 11304

MIAMI

Miami in the Morning by through the magic lense, on Flickr
Old May 13th, 2014, 05:32 AM   #3543
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12207

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
Toronto, Ontario

I'm Back by Acid_Punk, on Flickr
Great picture. Yes, new glass buildings are a big part of the mix because we have been going through one of the biggest booms of our history this past decade, but they are still only part of the mix. There are plenty or building types and finishes in the city, but people seem to be focused only on glass.

JuanPaulo liked this post
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 06:43 AM   #3544
Faisal Shourov
Bleach lover

Likes (Received): 4250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
Great picture. Yes, new glass buildings are a big part of the mix because we have been going through one of the biggest booms of our history this past decade, but they are still only part of the mix. There are plenty or building types and finishes in the city, but people seem to be focused only on glass.
Glass buildings are the new trend...after 30 years something else will replace glass as exterior of building
Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 10:31 AM   #3545
*GoldFish*

Likes (Received): 665

San Francisco, California

Cujas, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
*GoldFish* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 02:09 PM   #3546
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

Quote:
There are plenty or building types and finishes in the city, but people seem to be focused only on glass.
The focus is on glass because the vast majority of buildings built in the last 10 years, U/C now, and proposed are all glass towers. The buildings with different exteriors were already there before the boom started. The best illustration is to look at a "new" area of the skyline, ie the harborfront. The only break from the blue glass there is a little bit of blue-green glass. It looks like a scene out of a dystopian future. Some nice individual buildings, but the sum (of the waterfront skyline) is less than the parts.

I made the comparison a while ago to ice cream. Mint chip is my favorite flavor, but I also like/love probably 100 flavors of ice cream. While mint chip is technically the "best", I'm not always in the mood for it. Can't forget oreo, raspberry, vanilla, cookie dough, etc..... Point is, I enjoy other types, and it prevents me from getting sick of my favorite flavor. It seems like Toronto decided that all they have needed for the past 10+ years is just the mint chip. In this case, I think it's too much of a "good thing". Try some other flavors, Toronto!

DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 02:36 PM   #3547
Mojeda101
IG: UrbanLosAngeles

Likes (Received): 1283

Los Angeles

final by mojeda101, on Flickr

DZH22, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Mojeda101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 02:53 PM   #3548
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

Unbelievable picture of LA! This is my #4 skyline in North America. Tall, classy, powerful.

DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 09:55 PM   #3549
ChuckScraperMiami#1

Likes (Received): 22079

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
Miami

MrnStd_010.jpg by fjblanco8320, on Flickr

QuantumX, Our SSC Friendly Family Miami Moderator and Friend,
Thanks To Yellow Fever, Our SSC Friendly Family North American Threads Moderator and Friend,
This Is the Banner Jan would Post for Miami,The Post is # 3368 on page 10 , of this thread Its perfect and can be cropped into a banner , with the trees included , its a perfect City skyline banner !!

Thanks Yellow Fever and QuantumX
ChuckScraperMiami#1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 10:01 PM   #3550
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Chuck, I think I like this one better. What do you think? In the one above, the trees on the right kind of ruin it for me.

MrnStd_003.jpg by fjblanco8320, on Flickr
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1, New_Balto liked this post
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 10:15 PM   #3551
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Chuck, what about this one? We wouldn't even have to ask permission to use this one.

"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Old May 14th, 2014, 12:08 AM   #3552
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31804

Panama City, Panama

Panama Canal: Pacific Entrance by Jasperdo, on Flickr

JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 05:32 AM   #3553
softee

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
The focus is on glass because the vast majority of buildings built in the last 10 years, U/C now, and proposed are all glass towers. The buildings with different exteriors were already there before the boom started. The best illustration is to look at a "new" area of the skyline, ie the harborfront. The only break from the blue glass there is a little bit of blue-green glass. It looks like a scene out of a dystopian future. Some nice individual buildings, but the sum (of the waterfront skyline) is less than the parts.

I made the comparison a while ago to ice cream. Mint chip is my favorite flavor, but I also like/love probably 100 flavors of ice cream. While mint chip is technically the "best", I'm not always in the mood for it. Can't forget oreo, raspberry, vanilla, cookie dough, etc..... Point is, I enjoy other types, and it prevents me from getting sick of my favorite flavor. It seems like Toronto decided that all they have needed for the past 10+ years is just the mint chip. In this case, I think it's too much of a "good thing". Try some other flavors, Toronto!
There's no doubt that blue/green glass towers are dominating this current building boom, but keep in mind that over the last 10 years so many towers have been built and are currently under construction in Toronto that there have still been more non blue/green glass towers built and U/C here than the total number of towers that most other cities have built in that time all together.

softee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 05:47 AM   #3554
ChuckScraperMiami#1

Likes (Received): 22079

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
Chuck, what about this one? We wouldn't even have to ask permission to use this one.

That's The One and Only The Best one yet QuantumX, Our SSC Friendly Family Miami Moderator and # 1 Photo banner Friend,
Jan, Our SSC Friendly Family Founder and Administrator and Friend, Will Like this Great Photo of Yours the Best of Miami and The Beaches !!
It's Great Steve, and Let's Go Miami Cranes !!
ChuckScraperMiami#1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 05:49 AM   #3555
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Thanks, Chuck! I love the color in this one!

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1, New_Balto liked this post
Old May 14th, 2014, 08:19 AM   #3556
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12207

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post

If you check out the international development sections you will see that glass clad structures have been a bit of a trend right around the world. Toronto just happened to get a lot more construction during this period than most other cities, and therefore got a lot more glass clad buildings. There are lots of new projects going up or under proposal now in Toronto and they are bringing something new to the table. My point is that people focus, and often even obsess on the brand new neighbourhoods like City Place or Southcore ( I suppose because of the natural tendency to photograph the city from the Toronto Islands) that used to be wasteland and brownfields a mere decade ago, whereas there is a lot more to Toronto than just those new neighbourhoods. In other words they are part of the mix, but they are not even close to being the entire mix as some people seem to assume.
Old May 14th, 2014, 10:01 AM   #3557
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
If you check out the international development sections you will see that glass clad structures have been a bit of a trend right around the world. Toronto just happened to get a lot more construction during this period than most other cities, and therefore got a lot more glass clad buildings.
And blue and green glass at that. I like the trend!

My photo threads:

Old May 14th, 2014, 10:44 AM   #3558
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

SAN FRANCISCO

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tobyharriman/

My photo threads:

Old May 14th, 2014, 09:57 PM   #3559
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31804

Great SF picture! WOW!

JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 02:14 AM   #3560
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!