daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 1st, 2014, 04:19 AM   #3821
MDguy

Memphis

Madison Hotel Rooftop by Sean Davis, on Flickr

ChuckScraperMiami#1, desertpunk liked this post
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2014, 04:20 AM   #3822
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
Quantum, after seeing Toronto's skyline in person, would you rank it as third in North America after New York and Chicago?
Of course, always did, always will. Toronto is not going to stand still for Miami. I was hoping it would, but it ain't gonna happen! And I thought the design of the residential buildings was far superior to Miami. I wish more of Miami's residential buildings looked like Toronto's.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 04:25 AM   #3823
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31736

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
Of course, always did, always will. Toronto is not going to stand still for Miami. I was hoping it would, but it ain't gonna happen! And I thought the design of the residential buildings was far superior to Miami. I wish more of Miami's residential buildings looked like Toronto's.
Glad to hear that my photographic impressions confirm what you have decided based on viewing all these skylines in person. So overall, what was your impression of the Toronto skyline? Can it easily be viewed from different places in the city? Placement of the buildings? Quality vs quantity?

JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 04:47 AM   #3824
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Glad to hear that my photographic impressions confirm what you have decided based on viewing all these skylines in person. So overall, what was your impression of the Toronto skyline? Can it easily be viewed from different places in the city? Placement of the buildings? Quality vs quantity?
Yes, the Toronto skyline can be easily viewed from different parts of the city, but it would look better if the northern end of the skyline were more balanced with the southern end (financial district) to give it more that Chicago look. This is beginning to happen. There is a 257.3-meter building under construction now near the northern tip of the skyline in their shopping district. It will give the Toronto skyline quite an impressive spread, along with other projects that are under construction as we speak. Residential is of very good quality compared to the financial district. I don't mean it's bad. I just prefer the residential buildings in Toronto over the commerical buildings. I was impressed with a lot of the residential buildings in Toronto compared to Miami.

And Isaidso, now that I know where the Mississauga skyline is in relation to Toronto's, I too think Miami should get credit for Sunny Isles Beach if Toronto gets to count Mississauga.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Last edited by QuantumX; July 1st, 2014 at 04:54 AM.
Old July 1st, 2014, 04:57 AM   #3825
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Is there a thread here on SSC for that 257-meter tower under construction? You got me curious to see what it will look like.

JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 05:01 AM   #3826
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Is there a thread here on SSC for that 257-meter tower under construction? You got me curious to see what it will look like.
Here it is!

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...55159&page=192

My photo threads:

JuanPaulo, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old July 1st, 2014, 09:14 PM   #3827
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

More New York City

From Sunset Park, Brooklyn.
view west from 23rd St. by Tom Rupolo/Urban Landscape Photography, on Flickr

Midtown.
Manhattan Skyline by http://kahwailin.com/, on Flickr

From Queens.

Downtown.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/janas59/with/13954461603/

Uptown.

http://www.reddit.com/user/Vlad-Bad

Downtown.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrperry/9363787528/

Midtown from Ramsey, NJ.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/viaduck/with/12500789674/

Last edited by bodegavendetta; July 1st, 2014 at 11:47 PM.
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2014, 09:32 PM   #3828
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

San Francisco, California

20140629_121415 by anthonynachor, on Flickr
Old July 2nd, 2014, 02:11 AM   #3829
Disturbing Reality
Noxious

Likes (Received): 412

This is the original photo of the NYC banner we had a few days ago..

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6e4560d6.jpg

QuantumX, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Disturbing Reality no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 02:14 AM   #3830
Disturbing Reality
Noxious

3 of NYC's iconic structures.

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7443259f.jpg

Old July 2nd, 2014, 02:15 AM   #3831
Disturbing Reality
Noxious

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2a751249.jpg

Old July 2nd, 2014, 02:17 AM   #3832
Disturbing Reality
Noxious

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3a5f5d1d.jpg

Old July 2nd, 2014, 05:52 AM   #3833
Frockling
BANNED

Likes (Received): 818

Top 10 North American skylines in my opinion

1. New York city 9.95/10
2. Chicago 9.4/10
3. Toronto 9.35/10
4. Houston 9/10
5. Vancouver 8.5/10
6. Seattle 8.4/10
7. Miami 8.2/10
8. Calgary 8/10
9. Minneapolis/St.Paul 7.9/10
10. Mexico city 7.9/10
Frockling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 06:19 AM   #3834
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frockling View Post
Top 10 North American skylines in my opinion

1. New York city 9.95/10
2. Chicago 9.4/10
3. Toronto 9.35/10
4. Houston 9/10
5. Vancouver 8.5/10
6. Seattle 8.4/10
7. Miami 8.2/10
8. Calgary 8/10
9. Minneapolis/St.Paul 7.9/10
10. Mexico city 7.9/10
Give Miami 5 more years! Also, Toronto has a lot of stuff still under construction and still yet to start construction. I'd like to go back after all that stuff is completed because the skyline is going to look completely different. I'd also like to stay longer and get more angles on the city.

I love visiting cities as an urban/architectural photographer. After all these years now, I really have an idea of how I want to slice up and serve up a city photographically. It reminds me of the excitement I used to feel flying to somewhere in the Caribbean just go scuba diving. It's something I never imagined myself doing when I was a boy. Now I fly places just to photograph a city, and I get very excited about it.

My photo threads:

Old July 2nd, 2014, 11:45 AM   #3835
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10788

Quote:
There is a 257.3-meter building under construction now near the northern tip of the skyline in their shopping district. It will give the Toronto skyline quite an impressive spread, along with other projects that are under construction as we speak.
The drop off in the skyline as one head north from the CBD was quite drastic. Four Seasons (2011) and AURA (2014) were the first skyscrapers further north and kick started the expansion of the skyline's footprint. It's a 3 km stretch from the CBD to Yorkville, but it seems to be filling in at break neck speed.

You likely didn't notice, but the skyline is also making big moves west all the way to the Don Valley. It's going to be quite something when it all gets stitched together.

Quote:
I was impressed with a lot of the residential buildings in Toronto compared to Miami.
With so much competition in the condo market developers started paying far more attention to design to woo buyers. Residential condo architecture has made huge strides over the last 8 years and continues to get better each passing year. The current crop of condos going up are much nicer than what was being built just 2 years ago.

Quote:
And Isaidso, now that I know where the Mississauga skyline is in relation to Toronto's, I too think Miami should get credit for Sunny Isles Beach if Toronto gets to count Mississauga.
Ha ha! When I realized where Sunny Isles was, it was plain as day that it should be treated the same as Mississauga and Toronto. It's bizarre. I make a point of adding it when I quote Miami... it's only fair.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 12:10 PM   #3836
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

It's amazing how much development Toronto has all over the place. You can see a lot of it in this photo. This is what I was telling you I saw from the air that made a dramatic impression on me that you rarely see in photos.

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cookedphotos/9449622323/

My photo threads:

Old July 2nd, 2014, 01:13 PM   #3837
Disturbing Reality
Noxious

I'm really impressed how the CN tower made Toronto's skyline the second most iconic city in North America after NYC. Too bad no other building in the city can draw that amount of attention leaving Toronto on the 3rd spot next to NYC and Chicago. On the other hand, Chicago should step up its game to stay at number 2, but hopefully it won't do that with the Chicago spire because it's going to ruin the whole skyline.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 01:35 PM   #3838
KlausDiggy

Likes (Received): 8763

I find that the Chicago Spire is a real enrichment to the Chicago skyline. The tower will rather emphasize the city by the other.
Much worse, I find those ugly thin towers in New York, such as 432 Park Avenue or worse, 111 West 57th Street. Sorry, I hate this buildings.
These buildings have no architectural value and ruin the skyline of NY.

Last edited by KlausDiggy; July 2nd, 2014 at 03:19 PM.
KlausDiggy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 03:43 PM   #3839
Frockling
BANNED

Likes (Received): 818

agreed, New York although will by far have the best skyline in the world if hudson yards is completed/ WTC, till then it's in a competition with shanghai/honk kong/dubai
Frockling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 06:30 PM   #3840
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frockling View Post
agreed, New York although will by far have the best skyline in the world if hudson yards is completed/ WTC, till then it's in a competition with shanghai/honk kong/dubai
By the time this happens, Shenzhen and Guangzhou will likely be the top competitors. HK is standing still, Shanghai has relatively little going on (aside from Shanghai Tower) compared to these 2 cities, and Dubai needs to fill in a lot more to truly be in consideration.

However, barring something catastrophic, no city in North America will challenge NYC in our lifetimes.

DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote