daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 2nd, 2014, 06:58 PM   #3841
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12198

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post

However, barring something catastrophic, no city in North America will challenge NYC in our lifetimes.
I would tend to agree with that, due to the wonderful mix of architecture that New York has, with buildings like the Chrysler and the Empire State.

Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2014, 07:29 PM   #3842
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11210

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
San Francisco, California

20140629_121415 by anthonynachor, on Flickr
That's one of my thousands of photos on Flickr! I'm very glad you picked one of my newer On the Bay pics to represent San Francisco... I was on board a special ferry bound for AT&T Park (for a SF Giants game) when I took that pic. And I used my smartphone to take it!

As for my Flickr, yes, I use my real name as my ID there... anthonynachor = fieldsofdreams here.

Woodside
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 09:08 PM   #3843
RaymondHood
Retired Mohawk Ironworker

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
I would tend to agree with that, due to the wonderful mix of architecture that New York has, with buildings like the Chrysler and the Empire State.
I've never heard of those buildings --
could you tell me a little bit about them?
Thanks.

Last edited by RaymondHood; July 2nd, 2014 at 09:25 PM.
RaymondHood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 09:15 PM   #3844
RaymondHood

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
... now that I know where the Mississauga skyline is in relation to Toronto's, I too think Miami should get credit for Sunny Isles Beach if Toronto gets to count Mississauga.

That's perfectly fine with me because I'm getting ready to count Oakland and San Francisco as part of San Jose, because we're bigger and don't have any real skyscrapers of our own.

Last edited by RaymondHood; July 2nd, 2014 at 09:26 PM.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 09:21 PM   #3845
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondHood View Post

That's perfectly fine with me because I'm getting ready to count Oakland and San Francisco as part of San Jose, because we's bigger and don't have any real skyscrapers of our own.
Boston is going to start counting NYC and Canada. Hey Philly, we just caught you guys!

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 09:30 PM   #3846
RaymondHood

Quote:
Boston is going to start counting NYC and Canada. Hey Philly, we just caught you guys!

I'll let you have Providence and Worcester,
but not NYC and Canada.
There's a 50-mile limit.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 09:47 PM   #3847
Marcanadian

Likes (Received): 2585

Canada Day Fireworks Toronto 2014 by Duncan Rawlinson. Duncan.co, on Flickr
Old July 2nd, 2014, 09:48 PM   #3848
Taller, Better
Administrator

Quote:

And Isaidso, now that I know where the Mississauga skyline is in relation to Toronto's, I too think Miami should get credit for Sunny Isles Beach if Toronto gets to count Mississauga.
I know you saw Mississauga when you flew in, but I'm not sure if you saw also that it is within a continuously built up metropolitan area. There is no undeveloped land between the two but rather a continuous urban development. This is not the same as Hamilton which is separated somewhat (although not a lot) from the GTA. Although it is close, Hamilton is not considered part of the Greater Toronto Area. Politically, Mississauga is a separate city of its own and has its own mayor and city council, but there is no question of it not being part of the GTA for measurement of metropolitan population. I don't know an exact comparison, but I'd say it is like Brooklyn or the Bronx to New York City.

So, if Sunny Isles Beach is completely within the developed greater city of Miami, I see no reason why it should not already have been counted as such! I could be mistaken, but I think Metropolitan Miami is considered
to include Fort Lauderdale, Pompano Beach, West Palm Beach, and Boca Raton.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_metropolitan_area
Old July 2nd, 2014, 09:56 PM   #3849
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31736

Quote:
I know you saw Mississauga when you flew in, but I'm not sure if you saw also that it is within a continuously built up metropolitan area. There is no undeveloped land between the two but rather a continuous urban development. This is not the same as Hamilton which is separated somewhat (although not a lot) from the GTA. Politically, Mississauga is a separate city of its own and has its own mayor and city council, but there is no question of it not being part of the GTA for measurement of metropolitan population.

So, if Sunny Isles Beach is completely within the developed greater city of Miami, I see no reason why it should not already have been counted as such!
It is indeed a continuous develop area [Miami - Sunny Isles]. In fact, he entire southeast coast of Florida is one massive continuous urban development between say, Kendall/South Miami in the south to Palm Beach in the north. [the urban area covers the three counties of Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach.]

JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 10:00 PM   #3850
Taller, Better
Administrator

So, is Sunny Isles not considered part of Miami for the Metropolitan population, yet Fort Lauderdale is? How odd!
Old July 2nd, 2014, 10:43 PM   #3851
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondHood View Post

I'll let you have Providence and Worcester,
but not NYC and Canada.
There's a 50-mile limit.
Ehhhhhh, but really, different cities, different skylines. The only city with substantial build-up that I would consider part of Boston is Cambridge. The skylines literally connect by the Science Museum / North Station area.

Really unsure about the Mississauga / Toronto link. I mean, sure, they're damn close, but they're still ~20 miles away from each other! Is it really the SAME skyline? I'm not necessarily taking one side or the other, just wondering where you draw the line for some of these cities.

I guess where I'm from, I'm just not used to this type of "skyline sprawl". For comparison, Mississauga would be located outside the 95/128 belt of Boston (we have 2 belts, this is the inner, 495 is the outer). If we, say, built a 150m building in Weston, just outside 95, nobody in their right mind would act like that's Boston's tower. (except everybody who isn't from here, apparently) It's just an oversized building in a suburb. Nothing built outside the inner belt would be, or should be, considered "Boston". Metro, yes, but city itself? Definitely not.

Old July 2nd, 2014, 11:03 PM   #3852
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
So, is Sunny Isles not considered part of Miami for the Metropolitan population, yet Fort Lauderdale is? How odd!
TB, this is what Isaidso and I are talking about. This source below includes Mississauga as part of Toronto's tally, yet they are quite far apart, yet it includes Miami Beach as part of Miami's tally and not Sunny Isles Beach. It counts SIB separately. So what we're wondering is if Toronto gets to include Mississauga, why doesn't Miami get to include SIB?

http://tudl0867.home.xs4all.nl/skylines.html
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 11:24 PM   #3853
Marcanadian

Likes (Received): 2585

I don't think it makes sense to include Mississauga. If you include Mississauga, then Brampton, Markham, Vaughan and all the other municipalities in the GTA should be included as well. But that's just it, they're completely different cities with their own mayors and councils. Toronto is Toronto and only buildings located within the border should be included. Either that, or include the entire GTA. It doesn't make sense to include two cities within the GTA and exclude all the others.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 11:24 PM   #3854
DZH22

Quote:
TB, this is what Isaidso and I are talking about. This source below includes Mississauga as part of Toronto's tally, yet they are quite far apart, yet it includes Miami Beach as part of Miami's tally and not Sunny Isles Beach. It counts SIB separately. So what we're wondering is if Toronto gets to include Mississauga, why doesn't Miami get to include SIB?

Email the guy. He's pretty responsive. I emailed him and told him about Devon in OKC and he thanked me and updated. He'd probably combine SIB with Miami if you ask nicely.

Old July 3rd, 2014, 12:18 AM   #3855
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

Quote:
I know you saw Mississauga when you flew in, but I'm not sure if you saw also that it is within a continuously built up metropolitan area. There is no undeveloped land between the two but rather a continuous urban development. This is not the same as Hamilton which is separated somewhat (although not a lot) from the GTA. Although it is close, Hamilton is not considered part of the Greater Toronto Area. Politically, Mississauga is a separate city of its own and has its own mayor and city council, but there is no question of it not being part of the GTA for measurement of metropolitan population. I don't know an exact comparison, but I'd say it is like Brooklyn or the Bronx to New York City.
Not a good comparison. Brooklyn and the Bronx are part of the City of New York, just as Manhattan.
sbarn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2014, 12:32 AM   #3856
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Email the guy. He's pretty responsive. I emailed him and told him about Devon in OKC and he thanked me and updated. He'd probably combine SIB with Miami if you ask nicely.
He probably considers the Sunny Isles Beach skyline large enough to be counted on it's own. With what's already under construction, we're talking 11 buildings over 500 feet tall.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Last edited by QuantumX; July 3rd, 2014 at 03:44 AM.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 07:07 AM   #3857
Taller, Better
Administrator

Quote:

Toronto and Mississauga seamlessly join in non-stop urban development. Their respective "downtown" skylines may be "far apart" because the two cities are quite vast, but there is no break between Toronto and Mississauga. Politically they are separate cities, but for the purposes of measuring metropolitan populations they are added together, as is commonly done in measuring Metropolitan populations. I think what is confusing some people here is that Mississauga has developed its own "downtown" skyline in the past generation, through a concerted area to create a "downtown" where none existed. Many suburbs in big American cities that would be the equivalent to Mississauga just don't have a notable downtown "skyline".
I'm afraid I know nothing about Sunny Isles, and am not maintaining that it shouldn't be part of the Greater Miami population figures; in fact I had never heard of it until today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcanadian View Post
But that's just it, they're completely different cities with their own mayors and councils.
But, this frequently happens in the measuring of "Metropolitan Areas". Technically Mississauga is a completely "separate city", but the reality known by all of us who live here is that it is a de facto suburb of Toronto.

Hamilton, on the other hand, is physically separated from Toronto (albeit not by much), so it cannot be lumped into the GTA population statistics.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 07:44 AM   #3858
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
I'm afraid I know nothing about Sunny Isles, and am not maintaining that it shouldn't be part of the Greater Miami population figures; in fact I had never heard of it until today.
TB, it's the second largest skyline in Florida and it's right in Miami-Dade County north of Miami Beach. It has 8 buildings over 150m and 3 more under construction that approach 200m. In shots of Miami from the southwest, you can see it on the horizon in the distance right above the Miami skyline.

My photo threads:

Old July 3rd, 2014, 07:06 PM   #3859
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

Austin

Austin, Tx by NCMorrisPhotography, on Flickr

JuanPaulo, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2014, 08:58 PM   #3860
desertpunk