daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 6th, 2014, 08:52 AM   #3881
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcanadian View Post
I really like the CN Tower as the focal point of the skyline and I feel that if another huge tower were built it may look awkward.
That's the crux of it right there. People who want the CN Tower to remain the only focal point forever will find 375-450m too tall. Those who want the CN Tower to integrate into the skyline like Willis does with Chicago's skyline and ESB does with Manhattan's skyline would find shorter buildings than 375m just won't accomplish the goal.

I'm firmly in the latter camp and have been waiting for the skyline to grow up to the CN Tower. Eventually I'd want 5-6 peaks in the 375-600m range scattered throughout the core, the CN Tower being just one of them. I find the idea that nothing should compete with the ESB in Manhattan as bizarre a concept as nothing should compete with the CN Tower.

Skylines should continually re-invent themselves. If we didn't think like that the CN Tower never would have gone up in the first place because it would have taken away from what ever was the focal point before it.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; July 6th, 2014 at 09:02 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2014, 09:23 AM   #3882
Marcanadian

Likes (Received): 2584

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
That's the crux of it right there. People who want the CN Tower to remain the only focal point forever will find 375-450m too tall. Those who want the CN Tower to integrate into the skyline like Willis does with Chicago's skyline and ESB does with Manhattan's skyline would find shorter buildings than 375m just won't accomplish the goal.

I'm firmly in the latter camp and have been waiting for the skyline to grow up to the CN Tower. Eventually I'd want 5-6 peaks in the 375-600m range scattered throughout the core, the CN Tower being just one of them. I find the idea that nothing should compete with the ESB in Manhattan as bizarre a concept as nothing should compete with the CN Tower.

Skylines should continually re-invent themselves. If we didn't think like that the CN Tower never would have gone up in the first place because it would have taken away from what ever was the focal point before it.
I guess it's just a preference of mine to have observation towers as the dominating figure in a skyline. It's their slenderness and unique design that makes them really stand out. For example, I think the Calgary skyline looks a bit awkward with the Calgary Tower being one of the shorter major structures in the city, same with Seattle and Shanghai. So if I lived in Chicago, I wouldn't mind something taller than Willis, because it isn't strictly an observation tower.
Old July 6th, 2014, 05:20 PM   #3883
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19049

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
That's the crux of it right there. People who want the CN Tower to remain the only focal point forever will find 375-450m too tall.
I think buildings between 375-450m in downtown Toronto would bring the CN tower more in scale with the rest of the skyline while still allowing it to remain the only focal point. Right now, it's too out of scale with the rest of the skyline, IMO. Buildings approaching 600m would be too much in competition with it, I think.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2014, 05:47 PM   #3884
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 313

Quote:
I guess it's just a preference of mine to have observation towers as the dominating figure in a skyline. It's their slenderness and unique design that makes them really stand out. For example, I think the Calgary skyline looks a bit awkward with the Calgary Tower being one of the shorter major structures in the city, same with Seattle and Shanghai. So if I lived in Chicago, I wouldn't mind something taller than Willis, because it isn't strictly an observation tower.
Exactly. I don't view this type of structure as just being another an element in the skyline; it is special, like a type of monument that embodies the spirit of a city. I compare it more to the Stature of Liberty than the ESB.

That being said, I have no issue with some taller buildings being added, I'd just prefer they not crowd the tower too much. Which is why I don't mind the situation in Seattle too much but do find the Calgary situation akward. IF a supertall was visually integrated into the main cluster or even to the west more aligned with the Cityplace cluster, that might be pretty cool.

Actually I'd consider the best spot for a really large supertall (400m+) would be around the world's largest bookstore or old bus terminal sites, or the empty lot near Armoury and chestnut streets. Along with Aura, it would add some bulk to a somewhat sparse part of the skyline in east/west views, be tall enough to complement the main cluster from the lake, but be far enough from the CN to not visually crowd it from most common angles.

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2014, 06:14 PM   #3885
Marcanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Exactly. I don't view this type of structure as just being another an element in the skyline; it is special, like a type of monument that embodies the spirit of a city. I compare it more to the Stature of Liberty than the ESB.

That being said, I have no issue with some taller buildings being added, I'd just prefer they not crowd the tower too much. Which is why I don't mind the situation in Seattle too much but do find the Calgary situation akward. IF a supertall was visually integrated into the main cluster or even to the west more aligned with the Cityplace cluster, that might be pretty cool.

Actually I'd consider the best spot for a really large supertall (400m+) would be around the world's largest bookstore or old bus terminal sites, or the empty lot near Armoury and chestnut streets. Along with Aura, it would add some bulk to a somewhat sparse part of the skyline in east/west views, be tall enough to complement the main cluster from the lake, but be far enough from the CN to not visually crowd it from most common angles.
Yeah, I'm definitely not against a huge tower being built, it would just have to be in the right location. There's a sizable lot behind City Hall that could use a supertall and it would complement Aura too.
Old July 6th, 2014, 09:52 PM   #3886
Disturbing Reality
Noxious

Likes (Received): 412

This.
Quote:
Yeah, I'm definitely not against a huge tower being built, it would just have to be in the right location. There's a sizable lot behind City Hall that could use a supertall and it would complement Aura too.
The thing about Toronto is that CN tower is what makes its skyline special and recognizable. Just like the Space Needle is to Seattle. Location is definitely a factor to consider.
Old July 6th, 2014, 09:56 PM   #3887
Dmerdude

Likes (Received): 1854

Quote:
I don't see a huge tower being built in the foreseeable future anyway, due to economic reasons. Still lots of places to build cheaper and shorter buildings for office space.
Dmerdude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2014, 10:12 PM   #3888
Marcanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmerdude View Post
I don't see a huge tower being built in the foreseeable future anyway, due to economic reasons. Still lots of places to build cheaper and shorter buildings for office space.
Well we are getting our first supertall if the Gehry project is approved, so the city is definitely growing upwards. But I don't think we'll get anything over 400 metres anytime soon, maybe next decade or so.
Old July 7th, 2014, 07:28 AM   #3889
SoaD
Another world

Likes (Received): 9799

SEATTLE

Seattle por NW Vagabond, en Flickr

SoaD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2014, 08:35 PM   #3890
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12279

Took some photos from Polson Pier last night, looking over at downtown Toronto:

MDguy liked this post
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2014, 09:51 PM   #3891
Kangaroo MZ

Likes (Received): 9599

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoaD View Post
SEATTLE

Seattle por NW Vagabond, en Flickr
I want to eat that!

Seattlelife, LCIII liked this post
Kangaroo MZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2014, 11:28 PM   #3892
wino

Likes (Received): 1238

I hope you have very strong teeth and stomach.

Kangaroo MZ liked this post
wino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2014, 05:48 AM   #3893
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2111

Few of Boston from the other day

Old July 8th, 2014, 07:30 AM   #3894
koolio

Likes (Received): 1558

Superb pics. What park is that btw?
Old July 8th, 2014, 11:15 AM   #3895
RaymondHood
Retired Mohawk Ironworker

Likes (Received): 345

Does Boston have a height limit?
If so, is it a product of the nearby Logan Airport?
RaymondHood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2014, 12:47 PM   #3896
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolio View Post
Superb pics. What park is that btw?
Thanks, it's called Robbins Farm Park in Arlington, just off Route 2, marked on the left side of this map.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ro...f82f6dc6ed7373

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondHood View Post
Does Boston have a height limit?
If so, is it a product of the nearby Logan Airport?
Boston as an overall city doesn't have a strict height limit, at least not one that has been fully reached. However, most areas do have some sort of limit, and yes it is due to the extreme proximity of the airport.

For instance, the financial district by the water has a height limit around 600'. Currently, there are 5 buildings between 590'-614' in the heart of the financial district (left side of the skyline in the above pics, 3rd-7th tallest buildings in the city) so that's about the limit until buildings draw closer to the Back Bay. (illustrated by below map)
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ne...a63d8ad6157d49

The Millennium Tower, which is currently out of the ground(!!!), will slightly raise the financial district peak, (to at least 625', possibly more like 650' with mechanicals) with another 600' tower coming at North Station, and a couple talls planned for the near future in Back Bay. (includes a 699' + mechanicals, so low 700's by the Pru, supposed to start by end of this year) Boston already has mass and decent height (18 buildings over 150m, 16 over 500'), but will add quite a bit more to both in the near future.

For an example of a stricter height limit in town, I give you the seaport. This is developing at an extremely rapid rate, but the tallest buildings are either 225' or 235'. Unfortunately, so much construction has been concentrated here (and other lower height areas, such as Kendall Square in Cambridge) that it almost seems to shrink the skyline, until the new larger towers show up at least! Then I think the last few years' worth of construction will all come together and the city will look much bigger. Currently, It's losing a bit of its verticality, due to newer smaller towers "stepping up" to the rest of the skyline.

Seaport compared to the rest of the skyline

Last edited by DZH22; July 9th, 2014 at 01:20 AM.
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2014, 04:48 AM   #3897
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
I guess it's just a preference of mine to have observation towers as the dominating figure in a skyline. It's their slenderness and unique design that makes them really stand out.
That's a view held by many, but eventually cities outgrow their observation towers. It's happened in Calgary, starting to happen in Seattle, and will happen in Toronto as well. I don't see the wisdom in restricting a city's development by the desire to have one structure the tallest forever.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Old July 9th, 2014, 04:57 AM   #3898
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
I think buildings between 375-450m in downtown Toronto would bring the CN tower more in scale with the rest of the skyline while still allowing it to remain the only focal point. Right now, it's too out of scale with the rest of the skyline, IMO. Buildings approaching 600m would be too much in competition with it, I think.
Agree, but Toronto won't need to concern itself with 600m proposals for a very long time. Over the next 2-3 decades Toronto will start seeing those 375-450m buildings you mentioned and they will do wonders for integrating the CN Tower into the skyline.

My only hope is that we see them scattered about the core. I'd hate to see them all earmarked in and around the CN Tower.

Old July 9th, 2014, 06:43 AM   #3899
RaymondHood
Retired Mohawk Ironworker

Likes (Received): 345

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
Boston as an overall city doesn't have a strict height limit, at least not one that has been fully reached. However, most areas do have some sort of limit, and yes it is due to the extreme proximity of the airport.

For instance, the financial district by the water has a height limit around 600'. Currently, there are 5 buildings between 590'-614' in the heart of the financial district (left side of the skyline in the above pics, 3rd-7th tallest buildings in the city) so that's about the limit until buildings draw closer to the Back Bay. (illustrated by below map)
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ne...a63d8ad6157d49

The Millennium Tower, which is currently out of the ground(!!!), will slightly raise the financial district peak, (to at least 625', possibly more like 650' with mechanicals) with another 600' tower coming at North Station, and a couple talls planned for the near future in Back Bay. (includes a 699' + mechanicals, so low 700's by the Pru, supposed to start by end of this year) Boston already has mass and decent height (18 buildings over 150m, 16 over 500'), but will add quite a bit more to both in the near future.

For an example of a stricter height limit in town, I give you the seaport. This is developing at an extremely rapid rate, but the tallest buildings are either 225' or 235'. Unfortunately, so much construction has been concentrated here (and other lower height areas, such as Kendall Square in Cambridge) that it almost seems to shrink the skyline, until the new larger towers show up at least! Then I think the last few years' worth of construction will all come together and the city will look much bigger. Currently, It's losing a bit of its verticality, due to newer smaller towers "stepping up" to the rest of the skyline.
Thanks for the detailed explanation.
It looks like Boston will have a medium-height skyline (in comparison with the city's national importance) as long as the airport operates.
The much stricter limits at the seaport are a lot like downtown San Jose's (a city of a million), where all buildings are under 290'.
RaymondHood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2014, 04:37 PM   #3900
skyscraper 500
Viva Mexico!

Likes (Received): 773

edit

Last edited by skyscraper 500; July 9th, 2014 at 11:35 PM.
skyscraper 500 no está en línea   Reply With Quote