daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 6th, 2014, 06:46 AM   #4041
Marcanadian

Likes (Received): 2584

I found Chicago's skyline to be very imposing, which is great. It just kind of takes you over wherever you are, and it's got some of the best quality of architecture in the world. Here's some pics I took back in 2011:

Chicago by Marcanadian, on Flickr

Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2014, 07:16 AM   #4042
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcanadian View Post
I found Chicago's skyline to be very imposing, which is great. It just kind of takes you over wherever you are, and it's got some of the best quality of architecture in the world.
Their skyscrapers are refreshingly unapologetic. Rather than attempt to escape detection, they're the star attraction. I've always found the idea that buildings need to be set back from the lot line and/or incorporate glass at the top so it 'disappears' (The Berczy) to be an affront to architecture. Buildings should be celebrated, not apologize for existing. Vancouver is an especially bad offender.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

JuanPaulo, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2014, 08:28 PM   #4043
skyscraper 500
Viva Mexico!

Likes (Received): 772

Chicago is for me one of the most esthetic skylines in the world!
Beautiful City!

One of Mexico City Reforma Avenue Skyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratteciel View Post

KlausDiggy, Major Deegan liked this post
skyscraper 500 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2014, 10:02 PM   #4044
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
It's about time. I've always found the skyline didn't match the status of Boston.
According to our favorite ranking system, we could be talking upwards of a 25% points increase over the next 4-5 years, with more to come!

The problem with the majority of the skyline is that it's full of powerful, but mostly unremarkable buildings. For instance, I think Boston has 50% more 500' towers than Philadelphia, but doesn't have the showstoppers at the very top besides its big 2.

Too many background buildings that add excellent mass/density, but not enough main attractions. Also it's obviously stuck as a plateau across downtown, which is unlikely to change so much as become a much BIGGER plateau, with 2 new towers in particular dominating the view from the north. Back Bay is too sparse, but CSC and Copley Place towers will turn that into a whole different animal, and there are plans in the works for more 400'+ towers in that area.
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2014, 10:25 PM   #4045
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 32127

Miami, FL

Miami Skyline by Raul's Photography, on Flickr

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2014, 11:58 PM   #4046
mia183rd

Likes (Received): 270

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
According to our favorite ranking system, we could be talking upwards of a 25% points increase over the next 4-5 years, with more to come!

The problem with the majority of the skyline is that it's full of powerful, but mostly unremarkable buildings. For instance, I think Boston has 50% more 500' towers than Philadelphia, but doesn't have the showstoppers at the very top besides its big 2.

Too many background buildings that add excellent mass/density, but not enough main attractions. Also it's obviously stuck as a plateau across downtown, which is unlikely to change so much as become a much BIGGER plateau, with 2 new towers in particular dominating the view from the north. Back Bay is too sparse, but CSC and Copley Place towers will turn that into a whole different animal, and there are plans in the works for more 400'+ towers in that area.

Talk about race to the bottom, Boston is the king of that, well thats if it makes anybodys list at all

25% increase, dude you're a dreamer, please you have 1 600 footer out of the ground, as of now Sunny Isles has 3 and all taller then your 3rd tallest with more to come, now I see where your hate comes from, what a joke

This is the same guy that took a backhanded shot at New York a lil while back saying that Bostons 600 footers are all roof height and dont have spires or some bs like that

And please give it a rest with the Boston pics, same shots year after year after year

mia183rd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014, 12:32 AM   #4047
isaidso
the new republic

If you don't agree with him that's fine, but please refrain at taking personal shots at other members. Politeness goes a long way.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

JuanPaulo, bodegavendetta liked this post
Old August 7th, 2014, 01:18 AM   #4048
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19049

Quote:
If you don't agree with him that's fine, but please refrain at taking personal shots at other members. Politeness goes a long way.
Consider the source and what people from the Miami forum have to put up with constantly from DHZ22 and others like him. It's constant Miami and Sunny Isles Beach bashing. No, politeness does not go a long way in this case, but two wrongs don't make a right is what I would tell mia183rd and to ignore the Miami/Sunny Isles Beach haters. We have a lot of new stuff to look forward to down here and I know it just gripes a lot of people who don't have as much going on where they are.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014, 01:46 AM   #4049
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia183rd View Post
Talk about race to the bottom, Boston is the king of that, well thats if it makes anybodys list at all

25% increase, dude you're a dreamer, please you have 1 600 footer out of the ground, as of now Sunny Isles has 3 and all taller then your 3rd tallest with more to come, now I see where your hate comes from, what a joke

This is the same guy that took a backhanded shot at New York a lil while back saying that Bostons 600 footers are all roof height and dont have spires or some bs like that

And please give it a rest with the Boston pics, same shots year after year after year

HAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAAAAHHAHAAAAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOD I REALLY ALMOST JUST FELL OUT OF MY SEAT LAUGHING AAAAAAAHAAAAAHAHAAHAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

Ok, first of all, a backhanded shot of New York? Huh?! That has been THE definitive skyline in my lifetime, and I used to see it every year growing up. It's pretty close. How the heck is my statement of BOSTON hitting most of its heights to the roof a shot at NEW YORK??? Please explain that one to me.

A few posts ago I criticized Panama City for having too many terrible white-painted slabs and said I have it just outside my top 10, despite it being around the size of Toronto's skyline. (aka huge) I'm not a fan of the style.

I would never be jealous of Miami. I love my city, and feel very safe here. It's an amazing walking city! Currently rated 3rd, and on pace for #1. This pace is due to a huge amount of new development, which hasn't been as tall as Southern Floridas by a long shot, but has drastically improved areas and started sewing neighborhoods together. Boston/Cambridge has combined for approximately 40 new 200'+ buildings since 2000, amazingly more than San Francisco and Philadelphia. So there has been a lot of building going on. Ever heard of the Big Dig? We buried the highway and are sewing the city back together.

Also, I'll never get enough of this: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bo...7cbf240162e8a0

Sunny Isles has incredibly impressive buildup going on. However, there are a couple of things I don't like about it. The first is the layout itself, and the direct juxtaposition to where I'm from. This link is a snippet of the main street these skyscrapers are on. I scrolled through and it looks like the beach on one side (cool) but then private pools/facilities surrounding the buildings, half with parking behind them, all fronting a 6 lane major thoroughfare. I prefer urban. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Su...e74db7a5da487a

Secondly, I just think most of the buildings are very ugly. I'm not a fan of balconies, and I'm definitely not a fan of the Dubai-at-its-worst multi-clashing-colored towers. As a whole it looks weird, foreign, alien, actually pretty neat, but not really "city". I guess I just don't really understand it, but most southern cities that matured after the automobile developed in a way that is counter to the cities up here.

Oh and yes, 25% increase is possible. 5 years is a pretty long time and everything is starting to go. A 420' tower that had no news for over a year just started out of nowhere this week. 3 more 600'+ towers will give an average of 100+ points on this http://tudl0867.home.xs4all.nl/skylines.html
Plus, we now have a much smaller skyline on that because so much of the recent buildup has been down below in the 50-100m range, so it takes less to hit that 25%. I also said "upwards of 25%" but I think 5 years is reasonable.

Last edited by DZH22; August 7th, 2014 at 05:23 AM.
Old August 7th, 2014, 02:02 AM   #4050
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
Consider the source and what people from the Miami forum have to put up with constantly from DHZ22 and others like him.
I'm not familiar with any of that back history. If what you're saying is true, retaliation isn't the route to go. There is no excuse for rudeness and it needs to be nipped in a bud. This is supposed to be a pleasant enjoyable place for people to visit and want it to remain so.

Last edited by isaidso; August 7th, 2014 at 02:08 AM.
Old August 7th, 2014, 03:05 AM   #4051
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Sunny Isles Beach, Florida

Warm Skies, Cool Evenings by Jason Sha'ul, on Flickr

Old August 7th, 2014, 03:12 AM   #4052
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
I'm not familiar with any of that back history. If what you're saying is true, retaliation isn't the route to go. There is no excuse for rudeness and it needs to be nipped in a bud.
And I have addressed this already.

Quote:
This is supposed to be a pleasant enjoyable place for people to visit and want it to remain so.
Of course it's supposed to be. Of course I want it to remain so.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Old August 7th, 2014, 08:16 AM   #4053
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12272

Nice shots of Toronto, sourced by Chris!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
Old August 7th, 2014, 08:17 AM   #4054
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12272

Nice shots of Toronto, sourced by Chris!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
Old August 7th, 2014, 09:07 AM   #4055
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

San Francisco, CA

San Francisco Sunrise Colors by davidyuweb, on Flickr
Old August 7th, 2014, 07:44 PM   #4056
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Sunny Isles has incredibly impressive buildup going on. However, there are a couple of things I don't like about it. The first is the layout itself, and the direct juxtaposition to where I'm from. This link is a snippet of the main street these skyscrapers are on. I scrolled through and it looks like the beach on one side (cool) but then private pools/facilities surrounding the buildings, half with parking behind them, all fronting a 6 lane major thoroughfare. I prefer urban.
It's a beach town. Of course it's different from where you're from and what you grew up with and what you prefer. The problem I have with you and others is that you seem to preach what you're used to and where you're from and what you prefer as if it's the holy gospel when people from different regions do things differently and that's all it is. Don't let your own personal bias get in the way of things that are no more than cultural or regional differences.

Quote:
Secondly, I just think most of the buildings are very ugly. I'm not a fan of balconies, and I'm definitely not a fan of the Dubai-at-its-worst multi-clashing-colored towers. As a whole it looks weird, foreign, alien, actually pretty neat, but not really "city". I guess I just don't really understand it, but most southern cities that matured after the automobile developed in a way that is counter to the cities up here.
If the architectural styles are weird and foreign to you, then you should just say that rather than constantly putting them down. From what you've told me about architectural styles in the past that you've liked, they simply would not work in a place like Sunny Isles Beach. This isn't the northeast, which is what you're used to and what many people are used to.

Also, as I have already said many times until I'm almost blue in the face, balconies on very tall buildings represent advancement in structural engineering because of more precise calculations made possible by computer technology. Balconies increase wind load on a building and before the computer technology that we have today, it was feared that a very tall building with balconies in a windstorm would be racked apart and collapse, so very tall buildings with balconies are quite futuristic. With the earth's increasing human population, very tall residential towers are the wave of the future.

My photo threads:

Old August 7th, 2014, 09:23 PM   #4057
ainvan

Likes (Received): 17129

Chicago

Chicago's Near North Side by vxla, on Flickr
Old August 7th, 2014, 09:34 PM   #4058
ainvan

Likes (Received): 17129

Toronto

Moon Set by Sandra Herber, on Flickr

Zaz965 liked this post
ainvan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014, 09:38 PM   #4059
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
It's a beach town. Of course it's different from where you're from and what you grew up with and what you prefer. The problem I have with you and others is that you seem to preach what you're used to and where you're from and what you prefer as if it's the holy gospel when people from different regions do things differently and that's all it is. Don't let your own personal bias get in the way of things that are no more than cultural or regional differences.

If the architectural styles are weird and foreign to you, then you should just say that rather than constantly putting them down. From what you've told me about architectural styles in the past that you've liked, they simply would not work in a place like Sunny Isles Beach. This isn't the northeast, which is what you're used to and what many people are used to.

Also, as I have already said many times until I'm almost blue in the face, balconies on very tall buildings represent advancement in structural engineering because of more precise calculations made possible by computer technology. Balconies increase wind load on a building and before the computer technology that we have today, it was feared that a very tall building with balconies in a windstorm would be racked apart and collapse, so very tall buildings with balconies are quite futuristic. With the earth's increasing human population, very tall residential towers are the wave of the future.
Frankly, I'd rather stop talking about Miami, but some people just won't let things die. (referring more to your thin-skinned fellow Miami forumer here)

The balcony technology is certainly a solid invention. However, as I have already said many times until I'm almost blue in the face, I still don't think they LOOK good, especially on skyline-defining buildings. We are having an argument on the Boston threads about this (do we want more new resi's with balconies?) and I went so far as to call Aqua completely overrated. I saw it in person and that was my gut reaction. As we both know, that's pretty much the epitome for balcony buildings, so if I'm "blah" on that then it's probably just not something I'm ever going to be into.

You are right that architectural styles don't always work across regions. Our closest "Miami-type" building in this city is also the one I have hated the most for my entire life: http://www.emporis.com/building/trem...-boston-ma-usa
If it was half as wide and twice as tall, I wouldn't be happy about another 650' tower. I would probably vomit in my mouth every time I saw what the bastard did to the skyline!

I think I am pretty consistent about my taste. It would be hypocritical if I was on other threads talking about how much I love skylines like Panama City and Manila, while bashing Miami for the same style. But I'm not a huge fan of those skylines either, even if I can acknowledge that the level of buildup is incredible. I don't think I have ever mentioned this, but here is one of my favorite buildings in Miami: http://www.emporis.com/building/step...r-miami-fl-usa

Simple, powerful, unapologetic. I'm sure plenty of people hate this one, but I would take office towers like this, One Biscayne, or even something like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_Center
anyday over the hoards of balconied residentials you have surrounded them with. I will always prefer skylines dominated by office towers (ala Miami 1990's) over skylines dominated by residentials (Miami today).

Can we just agree to disagree, or are we destined to argue until our blue faces turn purple? (ie we're dead)

Old August 7th, 2014, 10:45 PM   #4060
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
However, as I have already said many times until I'm almost blue in the face, I still don't think they LOOK good, especially on skyline-defining buildings. We are having an argument on the Boston threads about this (do we want more new resi's with balconies?) and I went so far as to call Aqua completely overrated. I saw it in person and that was my gut reaction. As we both know, that's pretty much the epitome for balcony buildings, so if I'm "blah" on that then it's probably just not something I'm ever going to be into.
Well, I really don't care that much for Aqua in Chicago either, but I love Aura in Toronto. If you don't think high-rises with balconies look good, that's fine, but you act like everything has to be your way.

Quote:
Can we just agree to disagree, or are we destined to argue until our blue faces turn purple? (ie we're dead)
Of course we can agree to disagree, but Sunny Isles Beach and Benidorm are in a race to the bottom. Come on, man! I don't think statements like that are called for. It's not as ridiculous as Beniform has a more impressive skyline than Miami, but it seems this kind of negativity is where you're always coming from. Isaidso said this is supposed to be an enjoyable place for people to visit, but I really don't think you're a help there. There are lots of buildings I don't like and lots of things about skylines around the world that I don't like, but I don't spit venom like some other people because everybody has different tastes and I respect that. You don't seem to. It just doesn't have to be that way.

My photo threads: