daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 7th, 2014, 11:14 PM   #4061
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
Well, I really don't care that much for Aqua in Chicago either, but I love Aura in Toronto.
See, and I only like the top half of Aura. I don't say everything HAS to be MY WAY. However, I am opinionated for sure, and I defend the heck out of my opinions. Come visit the Northeast and you'll find 40 million more *******s like me who are convinced they are right about everything.

The thing with skylines, is there are probably upwards of a dozen different categories to rank it by (height, density, quality, quantity, layout, etc etc etc.) Everybody is going to stress different aspects based on personal tastes. I just think it happens to be that you and I do not really overlap on the aspects that we stress as most important.

However, whether I am criticizing and hurting feelings or not, I do make a point of bringing up positive things I like about something. For instance, I have held up 8-10 buildings in Miami as ones that I really like, and also mention that the real life impact of all the new towers is probably more than I give it credit for in pictures. So yeah, maybe I do have some of those caustic undertones that are more characteristic of where I come from. (ever heard of Northern hospitality? me neither) But I'm not just some blind hater. I am consistent with what I like, I am consistent with what I don't, and I am willing to dole out praise and criticism in equal helpings.

In case you didn't notice, this last explosion of comments originated when I was trying to be positive about the outlook of MY city, and it somehow got turned around into THIS DISCUSSION. Also, supposedly I insulted NYC even though none of that rings a bell.

Take what I say with a grain of salt. I am one man with my own opinions, as are you, as is everybody else on this forum. I may not always/often agree with you, but I can respect the effort you put into your comments and I hope you can respect the research I put into mine.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2014, 11:25 PM   #4062
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

I do my aerials by plane. It's cheaper. Helicopters are too expensive. I prefer an FK9, which is a slow-flying, light-weight propeller plane which only seats two side-by-side (me and the pilot) and allows me to take the door off so that I have unobstructed views.

I really don't think you'll like the Miami skyline more in person because ground level interaction with the condos is lacking. Also, I think I manage to make it look better most of the time than it actually is. The Southeast Financial Center remains my favorite building even after 30 years. It's been First Union and Wachovia since then. Now it's back to being just the Southeast Financial Center. It was designed by Skidmore, Owings, and Merrill.

CSC_0093 by Quantum2010, on Flickr
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014, 11:34 PM   #4063
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31736

@DZH22

You have likely never lived in a high-rise building. And absolutely never lived in tropical weather.

Balconies are not the "great development" in structural engineering. In fact, tall buildings with balconies are designed the same way as those without. The issue here is climate. Balconies were never common, and will never be, on template latitudes because of climate. In the northeast and midwest USA where winters are harsh, balconies (with continuous concrete slabs) create a path for the cold to penetrate the occupied space. This is inefficient from an energy and environmental point of view. This is the number one reason why balconies are not prominent in these regions. At solution to this issue is to have balconies that are not continuous with the interior of the building like attached structural steel balconies with diagonal braces/hangers. the issue is that when temperatures are VERY cold for most of the year, it does not make economic sense to invest in an attached balcony when it will only be used for a handful of weeks a month.

That said, balconies are popular in tropical climates because they can be used year round. And if you live,or have lived, in a highrise building you will know that stepping outside for fresh air is a MUST.

I will not consider Aqua the epitome of balconies. While indeed in this case the balconies are the most defining feature of the building, there are many other examples where balconies are better integrated with the building's facade so that they go unnoticeable for the most part.
Old August 8th, 2014, 12:29 AM   #4064
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
@DZH22

You have likely never lived in a high-rise building. And absolutely never lived in tropical weather.

Balconies are not the "great development" in structural engineering. In fact, tall buildings with balconies are designed the same way as those without.
Where are you getting your information?
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Old August 8th, 2014, 12:32 AM   #4065
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
Where are you getting your information?
I am a licensed Structural Engineer.
Old August 8th, 2014, 12:36 AM   #4066
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
I am a licensed Structural Engineer.
But don't balconies and recessed windows on very tall buildings increase windload? That's my understanding, and now they can more precisely measure how much windload a building can take through computer technology, thus taller buildings with balconies.

My photo threads:

Old August 8th, 2014, 02:11 AM   #4067
hacci
Qué oso contigo wey

Likes (Received): 4337

Just discovered this thread, and I think it's full of unnecessary fights. Please stop it guys.

El que me diga cuántas pelusas se le ven a mis fotos se gana un desayuno conmigo en una taqueria callejera del sur de la Ciudad de México:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
hacci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2014, 03:37 AM   #4068
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacci View Post
Just discovered this thread, and I think it's full of unnecessary fights. Please stop it guys.
You just discovered this thread and they're over.

My photo threads:

Old August 10th, 2014, 07:54 AM   #4069
GdlMty
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8577

Cancun, Quintana Roo, Mexico.

GdlMty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2014, 09:42 AM   #4070
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 55286

Chicago

City In Red by player_pleasure, on Flickr
Old August 10th, 2014, 10:03 AM   #4071
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12198

Our moderator Marcanadian is a very talented photographer!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcanadian View Post

bodegavendetta liked this post
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2014, 10:10 AM   #4072
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
Our moderator Marcanadian is a very talented photographer!!
Yes, you're lucky to have hiim to showcase Toronto to the world.

My photo threads:

Old August 10th, 2014, 08:50 PM   #4073
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10788

I've always found that spot to be postcard perfect with the CN Tower framed as it is.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2014, 09:07 PM   #4074
Rdx MG

Likes (Received): 5575

New York and Chicago.
Rdx MG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2014, 09:33 PM   #4075
Marcanadian

Likes (Received): 2585

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I've always found that spot to be postcard perfect with the CN Tower framed as it is.
Yeah, I almost god eaten alive by mosquitoes, but I thought it was a great view.

Here's a couple more from that night:

Humber Bay Park by Marcanadian, on Flickr

I actually went down to see if I could get a photo of the International Space Station flying overhead, and this is the only decent one I got. You can see it in the upper right.

Old August 11th, 2014, 04:26 AM   #4076
RaymondHood
Retired Mohawk Ironworker

Likes (Received): 336

Thanks for a very useful insight.

As I look back on a peripatetic life, I can see that the thermally-attached concrete balconies and patios that I have lived with have all been in warm climates -- two in Los Angeles, and one each in Austin and San Jose.

The thermally detached ones -- three structurally independent wooden decks and balconies, and two bolted-on steel fire escapes -- were in colder climates such as New York and Seattle. (The fire escapes served as workable balconies.)

So now I know why. Nine data points, and they all fit your model.

Quote:
@DZH22

Balconies are not the "great development" in structural engineering. In fact, tall buildings with balconies are designed the same way as those without.

The issue here is climate. Balconies were never common, and will never be, in temperate latitudes because of climate. In the northeast and midwest USA where winters are harsh, balconies (with continuous concrete slabs) create a path for the cold to penetrate the occupied space. This is inefficient from an energy and environmental point of view. This is the number one reason why balconies are not prominent in these regions.

A solution to this issue is to have balconies that are not continuous with the interior of the building like attached structural steel balconies with diagonal braces/hangers. the issue is that when temperatures are VERY cold for most of the year, it does not make economic sense to invest in an attached balcony when it will only be used for a handful of weeks a month.

That said, balconies are popular in tropical climates because they can be used year round. And if you live,or have lived, in a highrise building you will know that stepping outside for fresh air is a MUST.

JuanPaulo liked this post

Last edited by RaymondHood; August 11th, 2014 at 05:16 AM.
RaymondHood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2014, 10:05 PM   #4077
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Panama City, Panama

Cinta Costera by epiac1216, on Flickr
Old August 12th, 2014, 10:24 PM   #4078
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Seattle, WA

IMG_3714 by thiendle, on Flickr
Old August 12th, 2014, 11:50 PM   #4079
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

This port is one reason why Miami is more important in world commerce than many people think and another reason why the skyline will continue to grow - Cruise Capital of the World, Cargo Gateway to the Americas.

http://www.miamidade.gov/portmiami/cargo-main.asp

PortMiamiRotated by Quantum2010, on Flickr

My photo threads:

Old August 13th, 2014, 12:12 AM   #4080
BrickellResidence

Likes (Received): 6568

Santa Fe District Skyline (Mexico City Suburb) New 234m skyscraper will crown this districts's Skyline (current tallest is 180m)

DSC03179 por in-dErick, en Flickr