daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 13th, 2014, 11:33 AM   #4081
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10786

It's wonderful seeing Mexico City modernizing as it is. It's one of America's great cities and is surely a city on its way up.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2014, 12:40 PM   #4082
Bligh

Likes (Received): 796

One of my favourite Cities I have ever seen and a gorgeous skyline is San Francisco. It's beautiful, especially while driving from the Bay Bridge.

The Top 5 are probably; NYC, Chicago, Toronto, L.A., and San Francisco. Maybe also Seattle or Vancouver. There's so many to choose from!

If someone said I HAD to choose a number 1 spot then I'd probably give it to NYC for numerous reasons.
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2014, 01:29 PM   #4083
Georgia777
მე მიყვარს ბათუმი

Likes (Received): 130

New York

Philadelphia

iamtheSTIG liked this post
Georgia777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2014, 01:31 PM   #4084
Georgia777
მე მიყვარს ბათუმი

Likes (Received): 130

Calgary

iamtheSTIG liked this post
Georgia777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2014, 05:28 PM   #4085
hacci
Qué oso contigo wey

Likes (Received): 4337

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
It's wonderful seeing Mexico City modernizing as it is. It's one of America's great cities and is surely a city on its way up.
There's a massive amount of projects going on at the moment in the city, it will keep transforming.

El que me diga cuántas pelusas se le ven a mis fotos se gana un desayuno conmigo en una taqueria callejera del sur de la Ciudad de México:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

BrickellResidence liked this post
hacci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 02:15 AM   #4086
isaidso
the new republic

I believe Mexico City is 3rd in construction activity in NA behind Toronto and New York. Miami's very close behind in 4th.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

BrickellResidence liked this post
Old August 14th, 2014, 06:13 AM   #4087
ainvan

Likes (Received): 17069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia777 View Post
Philadelphia
Who can't forget this skyline from the Philadelphia movie and Bruce Springsteen's Street of Philadelphia? Totally love Philly's skyline.

Zaz965 liked this post
ainvan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 06:14 AM   #4088
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
I believe Mexico City is 3rd in construction activity in NA behind Toronto and New York. Miami's very close behind in 4th.
With Miami and Mexico City, I think it's the other way around according to the CTBUH data base. Also, New York is well ahead of Toronto with 10 buildings over 200m tall under construction, three of which are supertalls, so from the CTBUH data, the list would read as follows in terms of who is currently seeing the most construction in North America.

1. New York
2. Toronto
3. Miami
4. Mexico City

http://www.skyscrapercenter.com/crea...=on&list_year=
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by QuantumX; August 14th, 2014 at 06:38 AM.
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 06:42 AM   #4089
isaidso
the new republic

CTBUH isn't reliable and what ranking you get depends on what criteria you use. I use SSP, it's far more up to date. By 100m+ buildings U/C Toronto has been in the #1 spot for a very long time and still is. Toronto has 65, New York has 51. By 200m+ U/C, Toronto has 9 buildings to New York's 14.

So by 200m+ U/C New York has moved into the #1 spot. By 100m+ U/C Toronto is still #1. Toronto has more towers U/C than New York, while New York's lower count is more concentrated in tall towers.

Last edited by isaidso; August 14th, 2014 at 07:08 AM.
Old August 14th, 2014, 07:20 AM   #4090
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

But do those 100+m buildings under construction in Toronto add up to the height of all the 200+m buildings in New York and all those between 100 and 200m under construction in New York? Are you simply counting all the 100+m buildings without taking into account their individual heights?

For Miami, CTBUH is actually more accurate than SSP. I guess it all depends on who is updating the websites. I actually help update CTBUH. I take pictures and submit info to them.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Last edited by QuantumX; August 14th, 2014 at 08:08 AM.
Old August 14th, 2014, 09:08 AM   #4091
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
But do those 100+m buildings under construction in Toronto add up to the height of all the 200+m buildings in New York and all those between 100 and 200m under construction in New York? Are you simply counting all the 100+m buildings without taking into account their individual heights?
It's a count of the number of buildings U/C; that's how most people count the level of construction in a city. Adding the height of buildings together is not standard methodology and I've only ever seen one study tabulate that way (although I do like it).

If that's the methodology you're interested in, we'll have to wait till they update their database. I know the site you're referring to and it's going to be very close between Toronto and New York. Toronto has more buildings U/C while New York has a some very tall ones. It could go either way.

Quote:
For Miami, CTBUH is actually more accurate than SSP. I guess it all depends on who is updating the websites. I actually help update CTBUH. I take pictures and submit info to them.
It's different for every city. Mexico City and Panama City have no listings on SSP at all. I know for Toronto, SSP is far more accurate than CTBUH. I believe SSP is based in Canada, so that might have something to do with it.

Last edited by isaidso; August 14th, 2014 at 09:18 AM.
Old August 14th, 2014, 08:31 PM   #4092
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12196

Where did the arbitrary figure of 200m come from? So, is this not a tower because it is only 182 meters?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip View Post

Developer: Cresford Developments
56 storeys

Looks like a tower under construction to me. Doesn't it get a bit complicated if we start adding up all the total heights of towers in any city? It is one
way of massaging statistics, but it seems a bit odd to me.
Old August 14th, 2014, 08:37 PM   #4093
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
Where did the arbitrary figure of 200m come from? So, is this not a tower because it is only 182 meters?

Looks like a tower under construction to me. Doesn't it get a bit complicated if we start adding up all the total heights of towers in any city? Isn't a tower
under construction a tower under construction?
In the World Development News section, there is a forum called Skyscrapers that starts at 200m. Not sure where they got that idea from, but a number of buildings under construction above a certain height to me does translate into more construction. In my mind a 100m building and a 200m building are not equal, but three 100m buildings under construction equal one 300m building. Yes, it does get a bit complicated if we start adding up all the total heights of towers in any city, but that is the way I prefer to do it.

My photo threads:

Last edited by QuantumX; August 14th, 2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old August 14th, 2014, 09:25 PM   #4094
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

Quote:
In my mind a 100m building and a 200m building are not equal, but three 100m buildings under construction equal one 300m building.
With that logic, would you say that Miami would get a bigger impact out of building 4 new 100 meter towers vs 1 new 300 meter tower?

Same with Toronto. At this point, if somebody offered to build you 10 new buildings between 100-110m, or one new 350 meter tower, which are you going to pick?

It's worth noting that our most agreed upon method subtracts out the first 90 meters from each building. Thus, each 100 meter tower is only worth 10 points, so the Miami "proposition" would be 40 points vs 210 for the supertall, while Toronto's "proposition" would be approximately 150 points vs 260 for their larger supertall.

Personally, I would argue that a supertall is worth significantly more to a skyline (particularly well developed skylines like these 2!) than a larger amount of smaller towers.

I have always liked the 150m mark myself as a measuring stick. Anything below that barely makes a dent in my city, which at this point is significantly smaller than Toronto and Miami (skyline-wise). 200 meters is too exclusive. Are we really going to say that Vancouver's skyline is the equivalent of a field of grass? However, 100m for top 30 world cities is kind of ridiculous. Does it really tell you anything if City A is building 70 100m towers, and City B only 50? What if City A's only average out 115 meters, and top out at 210, while City B's average 170 meters per tower, and top out over 400 meters? (think Toronto's boom vs New York's boom as prime example, I realize these aren't at all the exact numbers but which city has the more impressive construction here?)

Just my 2 cents. There's no real right or wrong answer, but I think some of them are closer to the "truth" than others in terms of real-life impact and extractable, useful information.

Aceventura, bodegavendetta liked this post
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2014, 12:38 AM   #4095
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
With that logic, would you say that Miami would get a bigger impact out of building 4 new 100 meter towers vs 1 new 300 meter tower?
I don't like the logic either. I'm just trying to get Isaidso to better understand where I'm coming from. No, 4 new 100 meter towers versus 1 new 300 meter tower would not make the same impact on the skyline, but it seems where Isaidso and where Taller,Better are coming from, one building under construction is equal to one building under construction. I don't really see it that way. I prefer the 150m threshold myself.

Remember, I did say this previously "But do those 100+m buildings under construction in Toronto add up to the height of all the 200+m buildings in New York and all those between 100 and 200m under construction in New York? Are you simply counting all the 100+m buildings without taking into account their individual heights?"

My photo threads:

Old August 15th, 2014, 04:21 AM   #4096
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Where did the arbitrary figure of 200m come from?
It is arbitrary, but a quantitative measure requires that you pick a number. 100m+, 200m+ etc. are obvious choices imo.

Old August 15th, 2014, 04:24 AM   #4097
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
It is arbitrary, but a quantitative measure requires that you pick a number. 100m+, 200m+ etc. are obvious choices imo.
I consider 150m the Goldilocks threshold.

My photo threads:

Old August 15th, 2014, 04:26 AM   #4098
isaidso
the new republic

I find Americans seem to like that number. I think there have been a number of US studies that used 150m so that explains that.

Quote:
So, is this not a tower because it is only 182 meters?
That's precisely where lots of people misuse statistics. They use one benchmark then leap to an absurd conclusion. You only get an accurate assessment of what's going on when you look at lots of benchmarks and lots of data then compile it altogether.

The most absurd case was this one guy trying to tell me that Vancouver had no skyline because it has zero buildings over 200m. He was clearly someone who didn't understand how to use statistics.

aarhusforever liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; August 15th, 2014 at 04:32 AM.
Old August 15th, 2014, 04:44 AM   #4099
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
I find Americans seem to like that number. I think there have been a number of US studies that used 150m so that explains that.
When I first became a skyscraper enthusiast decades ago before personal computers, I consulted the World Almanac and Book of Facts, which used the 100m threshold roughly for every city in the U.S. except Chicago and New York. Back then, they started at roughly 137m for Chicago, and then they started at 152m for New York because New York always had so many. That is when the 150m threshold or 500 feet and above became the New York standard for a tall building as far as I was concerned, and so for me, I've always considered a tall building to be over 150m ever since then. Now, the World Almanac and Book of Facts only counts buildings 500 feet tall or taller in cities throughout North America. I'm talking about 1975. This is how far back that threshold goes for me.

My photo threads:

Old August 15th, 2014, 04:46 AM   #4100
BrickellResidence

Likes (Received): 6563

Quote:
With Miami and Mexico City, I think it's the other way around according to the CTBUH data base. Also, New York is well ahead of Toronto with 10 buildings over 200m tall under construction, three of which are supertalls, so from the CTBUH data, the list would read as follows in terms of who is currently seeing the most construction in North America. 1. New York 2. Toronto 3. Miami 4. Mexico City http://www.skyscrapercenter.com/crea...=on&list_year=
Believe me theres no way that miami is listed above mexico city in constructions developments , I live in Mexico City but I travel to Miami four times a year and I see the double of cranes on Mexico City than in Miami ... Even if you count in that way "200m gets extra points" mexico city still beats miami by the points it gets by all the +100-200m constructions....

BrickellResidence está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote