daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 27th, 2014, 08:02 PM   #4581
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22516

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post

Chicago vs Toronto - now that will be interesting to watch.
throw Miami into the mix as well.

plus a lot more than that as well.

Sponsored Links
Old November 28th, 2014, 01:10 PM   #4582
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10786

Vancouver

Photo by Beelz

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2014, 01:22 PM   #4583
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Between 2001 and 2011 it seemed that Chicago and Toronto were closing in on New York. New York just lost its Twin Towers and only a few tall buildings were built in that decade. But now the city is in the middle of a massive boom. The skyline is getting very tall (6 400m+ towers to the roof). One could say that New York is only competing with the big boys (Shanghai, Shenzhen, Hong Kong, Dubai etc.), because let's face it, in North America there's no real competitor for the foreseeable future.

Agree with all of that. New York has taken it up a notch or 2. Despite Toronto experiencing a historic boom the current scale of development won't put a dent in the gap. That said, the amount of growth in Toronto is staggering considering it's a metro one third the size of New York (6-7 million vs. 18-21 million).

From a Toronto POV it will be interesting to see if the city can graduate to 300-450m buildings from the 150-300m buildings that seem to dominate construction here currently. This is a fiercely pragmatic city, so it will only happen if Toronto's trajectory continues. Even if it does, Toronto won't see buildings on that scale for another 10 years or more. Land values and demand aren't high enough to make them economical right now.

New York remains in a class of its own. After that Chicago - Toronto will be interesting. I'm also looking at Panama City - Miami and then some outliers that are going to grow significantly: San Francisco, Calgary, Edmonton.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; November 28th, 2014 at 02:04 PM.
Old November 28th, 2014, 01:37 PM   #4584
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
Don't want to start a city v city, but what's the 200 meter building count in Chicago and Toronto? Both have similar lake settings, but Chicago's got the supertalls and have been building skyscrapers for a longer period of time, but Toronto has some serious momentum.
Chicago only started building skyscrapers a few years before Toronto, Montreal, Philadelphia, etc. In reality, most cities of any size in north America started to go vertical in the late 1890s. There's a perception that only New York and Chicago built them back then. What's more accurate is that those 2 cities built more of them, and taller than everyone else because they were the 2 biggest cities in north America 120 years ago.

Hunser answered your question, but it reminded me of a table I posted back in May. It's 6 months old now, but I'll re-post it below. I included the CN Tower as it does make a huge impact on the skyline despite being classified as a tower instead of building. As you can see, things might tighten up considerably between Chicago and Toronto over the next 4-5 years.

For shorter buildings (50-99m), Toronto is already ahead by a wide margin. It doesn't register in skyline shots all that much, but Toronto already feels like the bigger city when one leaves the downtown core. Where Chicago trumps Toronto is in 300m+ buildings. It could come down to personal preference before the decade is out.

Built, U/C, Proposed

# of Buildings 400m+
Chicago 2
Toronto 1

# of Buildings 300-399m
Chicago 5
Toronto 0

# of Buildings 200-299m
Chicago 32
Toronto 37

# of Buildings 100-199m
Chicago 301
Toronto 329

# of Buildings 50-99m
Chicago 651
Toronto 1105

Last edited by isaidso; November 28th, 2014 at 02:14 PM.
Old November 28th, 2014, 02:06 PM   #4585
BrickellResidence

Likes (Received): 6555

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Agree with all of that. New York has taken it up a notch or 2. Despite Toronto experiencing a historic boom the current scale of development will only keep it from falling further behind New York rather than closing the gap. That said, the amount of growth in Toronto is staggering considering it's a metro one third the size of New York (6-7 million vs. 18-21 million). From a Toronto POV it will be interesting to see if the city can graduate to 300-450m buildings from the 150-300m buildings that seem to dominate construction here currently. This is a fiercely pragmatic city, so it will only happen if Toronto's trajectory continues. Even if it does, Toronto won't see buildings on that scale for another 10 years or more. Land values and demand aren't high enough to make them economical right now. New York remains in a class of its own. After that Chicago - Toronto will be interesting. I'm also looking at Panama City - Miami and then some outliers that are going to grow significantly: San Francisco, Calgary, Edmonton.
Evryone seems to forget Mexico City that is also going to grow significantly and positioning to the americas top 5 in the near future

BrickellResidence está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2014, 03:28 PM   #4586
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickellresidence View Post
Evryone seems to forget Mexico City that is also going to grow significantly and positioning to the americas top 5 in the near future
You're quite right. Mexico City is way under people's radar in Canada/US, but agree that it will likely be a top 5 in the near future. I should have mentioned it under my 'outlier' category of interest.

Old November 29th, 2014, 07:50 AM   #4587
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 55237

Vancouver

Vancouver Skyline Panorama by Clayton Perry Photoworks, on Flickr

Rivaille, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 05:23 PM   #4588
isaidso
the new republic

toronto by MrShakya, on Flickr

4 km north of the lake in Yorkville the city is still quite built up. It might be wall to wall skyscrapers the whole length within 10 years.

IMG_4274 by Sweet One, on Flickr

Old November 29th, 2014, 07:34 PM   #4589
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12192

The bottom photo is taken from midtown, which is my neighbourhood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcanadian View Post
CHAZ by Marcanadian, on Flickr

CHAZ by Marcanadian, on Flickr

MDguy, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Taller, Better está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 08:53 PM   #4590
BrickellResidence

Likes (Received): 6555

Mexico City from a new Perspective

by israel486, on Flickr

BrickellResidence está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 10:28 PM   #4591
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31694

Vancouver, Canada

Vancouver Skyline Panorama by Clayton Perry Photoworks, on Flickr

JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2014, 10:36 PM   #4592
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31694

Atlanta, GA

ATL from "The Condo" by DancingTerrapin, on Flickr

JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2014, 12:48 AM   #4593
Major Deegan

Likes (Received): 3991

Minneapolis from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by achybo View Post

Minneapolis by JackSilver, on Flickr

Major Deegan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2014, 12:51 AM   #4594
isaidso
the new republic

Montreal

Courtesy of the Financial Post

Old December 1st, 2014, 12:04 AM   #4595
RASEC33

Likes (Received): 148

Dallas Texas!

Dallas TX!
Uptown to Omni view of Downtown Dallas by rasec33, on Flickr
Dallas from sylvan dark with lit buildings by rasec33, on Flickr
Skyline trail view of Dallas Downtown from levee by rasec33, on Flickr

Rivaille, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
RASEC33 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2014, 03:14 PM   #4596
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

A04_8363.jpg by Nao Okawa, on Flickr
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2014, 05:37 PM   #4597
ChuckScraperMiami#1

Likes (Received): 22079

Wow !!, Is that the Skyline of Chicago ?? QuantumX, Our SSC Friendly Family World Super Moderator and # 1 Miami Forum Friend to Everyone !!
Steve,. Fantastic Photo, and welcome back , How was your Thanksgiving ??
Looks like Chicago from It's Lake there to me,
But NO, It's the Whole City of Miami Skyline from a Cruise Ship about 4 miles out on the Ocean !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
Let's Go Miami and North American City Skyline Cranes !!
ChuckScraperMiami#1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2014, 05:39 PM   #4598
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Awesome Miami photo Quantum. You offers a good look at how the metro is laid out.
I wish I could take credit for such a great photo. That one is definitely beyond my capabilities. There is a lot more of the Miami metro southwest of what's in that photo that would be off to the left with Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, South Miami, and Dadeland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
throw Miami into the mix as well.
After it's all said and done, I still think it's going to be New York, Chicago, Toronto, and Miami in that order on the North American continent. As booming as Miami is right now, we are hampered by the proximity of MIA and the FAA.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Manitopiaaa liked this post
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2014, 09:06 AM   #4599
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22516

OKC

Oklahoma City skyline by .Kayne., on Flickr

Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2014, 07:38 PM   #4600
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10272

Quote:
Between 2001 and 2011 it seemed that Chicago and Toronto were closing in on New York. New York just lost its Twin Towers and only a few tall buildings were built in that decade. But now the city is in the middle of a massive boom. The skyline is getting very tall (6 400m+ towers to the roof). One could say that New York is only competing with the big boys (Shanghai, Shenzhen, Hong Kong, Dubai etc.), because let's face it, in North America there's no real competitor for the foreseeable future.

Looked up how many over 200m buildings each city added. Chicago and New York were neck and neck but I don't recall there ever being a feeling of other cities closing in. New York underperformed per capita compared to Chicago, but nothing too bad. It's only in a brief period from 2009 to 2011 that Chicago and Toronto brought a lot of skyscrapers on board and actually passed New York in added skyscrapers that year. But even in those years we had major supertall projects under construction in New York (stuff that other North American cities didn't have). Yeah, New York now has 7 supertalls and 25+ more in the pipeline (with 10 starting construction next year). I don't think any city in the Americas can ever come close, simply because no other city in the Americas could ever have such a demand for so many tall buildings.

200m+ built 2000-2009
New York (11-2: 9): Trump World, 383 Madison Avenue, Random House Tower, Bloomberg Center, Time Warner Center x2, Times Square Tower, 7 World Trade Center, New York Times Tower*, Barclay Tower, Bank of America Tower*
Chicago (9): Park Tower, 111 South Wacker, Hyatt Center, 340 on Park, Trump International Hotel and Tower*, Acqua, 300 North LaSalle, One Museum Park, Waldorf Astoria Chicago
Atlanta (2): 1180 Peachtree, Sovereign
Miami (2): Marquis Residences, Four Seasons Hotel Miami
Philadelphia (1): Comcast Center
Toronto (1): Bay Adelaide Centre

Places like San Francisco and Miami built a few in the 190-199m range that weren't counted btw

0 Group
Boston
Dallas
Detroit
Houston
San Francisco
Washington

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)

Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote