daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 8th, 2014, 12:06 AM   #4621
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22539

more Miami

Port of Miami by Tim McManus, on Flickr

San Fran

SF Skyline by Tim McManus, on Flickr

Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2014, 02:49 AM   #4622
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10786

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Just curious, what is best source to accurately compare current construction in both Toronto and NYC of 100+ meter buildings?
I go to SSP. It's more up to date than the others sites when it comes to Canadian and US cities. At the top of the home page click on 'Diagrams' then fill in the appropriate parameters. It will spit out exactly what you want. Using that resource one gets the following:

# of 100m+ Buildings Under Construction
Toronto (not including Mississauga) 55
New York 48

# of 100m+ Buildings Proposed
Toronto (not including Mississauga) 131
New York 94

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; December 8th, 2014 at 02:59 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2014, 04:04 AM   #4623
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

I included relevant suburbs/satellite cities for Toronto and NYC to get a finer picture of what's going on.

# of 100m+ U/C:

Toronto (including Mississauga and Vaughan): 60
New York (including Jersey City, Fort Lee, New Rochelle): 60

# of 100m+ Proposals:

Toronto: 137
NYC: 113

So indeed, Toronto seems to be edging out NYC for new 100m+ building construction today. But on a per capita basis Toronto wins no doubt, which is pretty impressive.

Of course, it's debatable how much suburban construction really matters when comparing cities. Like Jersey City should definitely be included, imo, because it's right across the Hudson River and part of the cityscape, but cities like New Rochelle or Vaughan are pretty removed, so I guess whether that's important is up to you.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2014, 04:50 AM   #4624
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

ah, Scenic Gowanus... actually becoming scenic? Brooklyn

Scenic Gowanus (337/365) by flyingspores, on Flickr
Old December 8th, 2014, 05:02 AM   #4625
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I go to SSP. It's more up to date than the others sites when it comes to Canadian and US cities. At the top of the home page click on 'Diagrams' then fill in the appropriate parameters. It will spit out exactly what you want. Using that resource one gets the following:

Toronto (not including Mississauga) 55
New York 48

Toronto (not including Mississauga) 131
New York 94
Ah, cool. It is interesting to compare construction at different height ranges, it tells a story about the difference in the booms in the two cities. Toronto is really excelling in the 100m - 200m range, whereas NYC is excelling in the 200m+ range. Toronto has 113 proposals in the 100m to 200m range, insane! Anyway, numbers below:

# of 100m - 200m Buildings Under Construction
Toronto 47
New York 35

# of 100m - 200m Buildings Proposed
Toronto 113
New York 63

# of 200m - 300m Buildings Under Construction
Toronto 8
New York 11

# of 200m - 300m Buildings Proposed
Toronto 17
New York 18

# of 300m+ Buildings Under Construction
Toronto 0
New York 5

# of 300m+ Buildings Proposed
Toronto 1
New York 14

Just for fun, comparison of two satellite cities:

Mississauga (Toronto) 2
Jersey City (NYC) 9

Mississauga (Toronto) 6
Jersey City (NYC) 19

sbarn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2014, 07:39 AM   #4626
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31712

San Francisco, CA

San Francisco Photo Flight by Brian the Great, on Flickr
Old December 8th, 2014, 02:05 PM   #4627
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Calgary

Chinook in Calgary by MSVG, on Flickr
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2014, 05:17 PM   #4628
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodegavendetta View Post
Of course, it's debatable how much suburban construction really matters when comparing cities. Like Jersey City should definitely be included, imo, because it's right across the Hudson River and part of the cityscape, but cities like New Rochelle or Vaughan are pretty removed, so I guess whether that's important is up to you.
It was interesting to see those periphery areas added. I think Jersey City should be included as well. Vancouver is an extreme case of the numbers jumping significantly if one adds suburban development. Currently Burnaby (in Vancouver metro) is building more than Vancouver.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old December 8th, 2014, 05:30 PM   #4629
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Ah, cool. It is interesting to compare construction at different height ranges, it tells a story about the difference in the booms in the two cities. Toronto is really excelling in the 100m - 200m range, whereas NYC is excelling in the 200m+ range. Toronto has 113 proposals in the 100m to 200m range, insane!
Fun with numbers! I spent many hours over the last few years punching in different variables for cities around the world. After a while you develop a comprehensive summary of development. The level of activity in Toronto is actually down a little bit from 2011 if you can believe it.

One caveat: as with all resources I've come across the data for Chinese and Indian cities is far from accurate. Most of the rest seems to be good though.

Old December 8th, 2014, 08:38 PM   #4630
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

That is an extraordinary Calgary photo. The cluster is compact and the arrangement of height is harmonious from this vantage point. Watch out Toronto and Vancouver... Calgary is coming for you!

JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2014, 08:57 PM   #4631
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Seattle, WA

DSC_2779.jpg by David Elner, on Flickr
Old December 8th, 2014, 09:35 PM   #4632
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Vancouver, BC

DSC08824 - Grey Cup Weekend by gcD600, on Flickr
Old December 8th, 2014, 10:52 PM   #4633
fredcalif

Likes (Received): 1112

Vancouver So Beautiful along with SF and Seattle. West Coast rule

JuanPaulo, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
fredcalif está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2014, 11:44 PM   #4634
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
That is an extraordinary Calgary photo. The cluster is compact and the arrangement of height is harmonious from this vantage point. Watch out Toronto and Vancouver... Calgary is coming for you!
We've got our sights clearly in our rear view mirror! Calgary's skyline has already passed Vancouver's by number of 100m+ buildings. It really is a city that just continues to boom decade after decade after decade.

Bring it on Cowtropolis!

Old December 9th, 2014, 01:04 AM   #4635
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12196

Calgary has come a long way in a short time; only one century. But I think it has a long way to go before it could ever match the density and complexity of Vancouver's skyline. Maybe some day there won't be such a plethora of downtown surface parking lots... but I don't think it is anywhere close to being there yet. Some 60 of the 72 head offices in Calgary are related to the oil industry (which is rather nervously watching the price of oil drop as world supply increases), and they seem to all have headquarters now. To me Calgary is clearly behind both Vancouver and Montreal at this point. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ji-Ja-Jot View Post

To the right "The Bow", recently compleated and Calgaries highest building as someone explained to me. I don't know if he was working up there or a local who just wanted to talk.

The Stampede Area up in the right corner. Obviously no Stampede those days ...

... so the city apperead to me quite empty for a Metropolis with over one million inhabitants. Se guy explained it with the large scale of Calgary. People drive into CBD to work and leave CBD after mostly by car. From the tower the view on endless parking ranges was incredible. And at some areas people use the "15 up (?)" System. Several skybridges connecting buildings in the CBD.

Old December 9th, 2014, 02:17 AM   #4636
isaidso
the new republic

Montreal and Vancouver are definitely denser and have a richer urban fabric, but Calgary is catching up on both fronts quickly. Calgary goes through down periods every time oil prices drop, but always comes back bigger and stronger than ever.

The big difference this time around is that Calgary is starting to build a significant downtown population. Some may not agree, but I think it's just a matter of time before Calgary's urbanity improves as the downtown population soars. It's a work in progress, but you can feel it happening.

Let's not forget, downtown Toronto was chalk full of parking lots not too long ago. With intensification and condos came more vibrancy. The same thing is playing out in Calgary and many other cities across the country. A great number of those Calgary parking lots will be gone in 10-15 years.

Last edited by isaidso; December 9th, 2014 at 02:31 AM.
Old December 9th, 2014, 02:32 AM   #4637
Taller, Better
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

The big difference this time around is that Calgary is starting to build a significant downtown population. Some may not agree.
I'm afraid I am one of the ones who respectively disagrees. I think of the biggest Canadian cities, Calgary is definitely the least urban and with the least residential development downtown.... and by a long chalk. Toronto may have had surface parking lots as well, but its an older and much more established city with a much broader economic base. It would be a very, very, very long time of no progress elsewhere and prolonged progress in Calgary to even begin to catch up to the built environment of Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal. That doesn't mean I don't like Calgary, but it does mean I don't think its skyline is in the same category yet as some others.
Old December 9th, 2014, 02:45 AM   #4638
isaidso
the new republic

Urban vibrancy and skyline are 2 entirely different matters though. I think the discussion here was initially about skyline solely and not about things like neighbourhoods, pedestrian traffic, retail, etc. By skyline, Calgary has already matched Vancouver and Montreal. By urban vibrancy, it has lots of work to do but is heading in the right direction.

Old December 9th, 2014, 05:58 AM   #4639
Taller, Better
Administrator

Well, each to their own but I also think a skyline cannot be critiqued solely by counting the number of buildings over 100m.. their is a richness and depth to be considered, too. In the same vein whenever people muse about whether Toronto may eclipse New York City today, I rationalise that it might, but not within the next century, and not unless current trends completely change. New York has a richness and texture in its skyline that newer cities would have a very difficult time beating! Again, just my 2 cents
Old December 9th, 2014, 10:16 AM   #4640
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

TO (2013)

Toronto skyline by Antonio J. Fernandes, on Flickr

DSC_0347 by Antonio J. Fernandes, on Flickr