daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 15th, 2014, 03:38 AM   #4701
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10788

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yohja View Post
Toronto has an astounding North-South corridor, but I'm wondering why there isn't as much East-West development, especially along the lake shore. I'd love for Toronto to maybe reallocate some of its boom laterally. To any Torontonians out there, is there a clear cut reason to this particularity, or is it a combination of more latent factors?
Victorian/industrial Toronto turned its back on its water ways. They were almost entirely areas with rail yards, highways, port facilities, utilities, and factories. Rivers were seen as disease infested. Toronto either paved over them to create new land for housing (underground rivers still exist under the city), or were severely narrowed like the Don River.

It may surprise some but, as recently as 2000, Toronto was still heavily industrial along the lake shore. All that land where Southcore and City Place sit was barren industrial land just 15 years ago. Toronto is late to the game but is reconnecting with its water ways. The lakeshore has seen a massive amount of investment not only in buildings but an investment in the public realm. It's being tackled section by section. Any one who's been to Queens Quay will realize that it's one giant construction zone (and its been like that for a number of years so far).

Attention is also turning to the Don River. The narrowing of the Don and destruction of the wetlands has largely negated the natural defenses against floods. The wetlands are being restored and plans under way to reconnect the city to the river itself. River City is a large condo development largely finished at the mouth of the Don while East Bayfront and the Pan American Games village are other developments in that same vein.

So in conclusion, Toronto is developing east-west. We'll end up with a 'T' shaped skyline with lots of density from the Don Valley in the east to Liberty Village (adjacent NW of where BMO Field is) in the west. Then more density following the Yonge subway north (and away from the lake) all the way to North York City Centre and York Region. Below shows ~ 4 km of the central waterfront. You can see the mouth of the Don River on the extreme upper right corner. Liberty Village would be just out of frame on the left. It will be quite dense from one end to the other within 10 years:

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Yohja liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; December 15th, 2014 at 04:53 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 15th, 2014, 04:01 AM   #4702
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
I think people are conflating the word "urban" with the existence of tall buildings.
That's partly my fault. On the previous page I posted that I found cities with lots of dense clusters (nodes) spread around the metropolitan area feel bigger or more expansive. People inferred that I was making a correlation between having nodes and a city being more urban. That wasn't my intention as it's obviously not true.

Psychologically one does feel like one is in a bigger place when you can see a tall cluster out in the distance and then another one even further out. Whether these clusters develop some urbanity is another matter. I think NYCC here in Toronto is already there while the rest are, in fact, heading in that direction.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; December 15th, 2014 at 04:07 AM.
Old December 15th, 2014, 04:56 AM   #4703
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22542

San Francisco Bay - Nob Hill & Fincancial District by Arthur Lombard, on Flickr

San Francisco Bay - Russian Hill & Financial District by Arthur Lombard, on Flickr

San Francisco Bay - Richmond District by Arthur Lombard, on Flickr
Old December 15th, 2014, 05:05 AM   #4704
isaidso
the new republic

Gorgeous pics.

Old December 15th, 2014, 05:06 AM   #4705
nyarch21

Likes (Received): 801

Nice pictures of San Fran! The perspective has me exited for the future of the skyline! I can picture the salesforce tower already!

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
nyarch21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2014, 06:12 AM   #4706
linum

Likes (Received): 658

San Francisco - when you include the buildings + waterways + bridges + hills = beautiful... but a bit like Sydney in Australia - the skyscrapers themselves - some a pretty average, some are impressive though!!!!

linum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 12:14 AM   #4707
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31736

Two skylines in one!!!

Oakland and San Francisco, CA

metro bay by patrick boury, on Flickr
Old December 16th, 2014, 10:07 AM   #4708
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Would Chicago have something similar to NYCC? Do big retail strips in the Loop continue on well outside the Loop?
In terms of a built up "node" of skyscrapers and transit feeling somewhat connected to downtown and not a detached suburb, again, maybe only Evanston, the Illinois Medical District, or Des Plains. Other areas, imo, are too far out to be considered or are simply too small. But I'm not *too* familiar with the Chicago area (or Toronto for that matter) so take my words with a grain of salt.

Yes for retail strips. The idea of long, unbroken strips of activity that go through different neighborhoods definitely exists in Chicago. Milwaukee, Devon, Halsted, Lincoln, Clark, and Belmont, among others, are pretty well known and act as the social and commercial anchors for neighborhoods. Technically not all of these originate from within the loop (most are close, though) but the point is there is activity that radiates well beyond downtown. Nothing like on the scale of Yonge Street, but instead perhaps St.Clair or Bathurst.

isaidso, ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by bodegavendetta; December 16th, 2014 at 10:19 AM.
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 10:16 AM   #4709
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

Some glamour shots of New York's great mix of architecture! With cities either going the mega flashy Asian/Middle Eastern route or new Miami-style condo route, I increasingly appreciate New York's (and Chicago/Montreal/Boston,etc) older style. Not that the new skylines aren't great, but as those skylines get more common, classic North American skylines becomes more unique, imo.

https://500px.com/dedmaxopka
Old December 16th, 2014, 09:06 PM   #4710
LCIII

Likes (Received): 2713

Obviously doesn't compete with the likes of NYC, Chicago and other much larger cities, but Seattle sure does fight well above its weight class.

Crane City, Seattle [OC] [2048x653] by sokomalone0305, on Flickr

Seattle Panoramic Skyline by Justin_Watts, on Flickr

Untitled by Benjamin Lukoff, on Flickr

20141203 5DIII Seattle WA 260 by James Scott S, on Flickr
Old December 16th, 2014, 09:07 PM   #4711
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Panama City, Panama

Vista de la ciudad de Panamá desde el hotel Hilton by usf1fan2, on Flickr
Old December 16th, 2014, 09:10 PM   #4712
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Miami, FL

Miami Skyline II by jeme.2009, on Flickr
Old December 16th, 2014, 10:22 PM   #4713
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

SF

Hustle and Bustle by Tim Gupta, on Flickr
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 12:26 AM   #4714
fredcalif

Likes (Received): 1112

SF is Amazing, in a few years it will be changed so much with all the new buildings UC

fredcalif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 02:41 AM   #4715
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodegavendetta View Post
Some glamour shots of New York's great mix of architecture! With cities either going the mega flashy Asian/Middle Eastern route or new Miami-style condo route, I increasingly appreciate New York's (and Chicago/Montreal/Boston,etc) older style. Not that the new skylines aren't great, but as those skylines get more common, classic North American skylines becomes more unique, imo.
I'm with you there. Perhaps it's just my north American bias, but I find the flashy gimmicky buildings going up in Dubai, London, etc a result of how new they are to the skyscraper game. They're kids in a toy store attracted to the shiniest object while places that have been at it for a century+ have developed a taste for traditional, classic designs. London's skyline looks like a dog's breakfast, but I'm hoping that as time passes their penchant for buildings that look like cheese graters and walkie talkies passes.

You showed a lot of pre-war towers, but even the modern towers in north America tend to be conservative rather than trendy. Trendy designs will look dated quickly while these 'safer' designs will stand the test of time.

Last edited by isaidso; December 17th, 2014 at 02:55 AM.
Old December 17th, 2014, 09:13 AM   #4716
isaidso
the new republic

Vancouver

Courtesy of Andrew Maw

Old December 17th, 2014, 09:18 AM   #4717
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12198

For a wonderfully mixed skyline, New York's is in a class of its own. In my opinion other skylines can and are outgrowing NYC, but it will likely always be my favourite!

Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 10:12 AM   #4718
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 55286

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Vancouver

you can see two distinct skylines in this photo, downtown Vancouver and Metrotown of Burnaby.

Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 08:49 PM   #4719
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Miami, FL

Brickell South by XT Inc., on Flickr
Old December 18th, 2014, 01:14 AM   #4720
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
you can see two distinct skylines in this photo, downtown Vancouver and Metrotown of Burnaby.
So this is looking southeast and that green patch next to the Burnaby skyline is where SFU is?