daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 18th, 2014, 10:51 AM   #4721
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10786

Calgary

Calgary is developing decent density south of the Beltline (rail tracks). The city's tallest is currently under construction and will rise to 247m. Telus Sky should break ground soon and will be 3rd tallest when completed. When both get built I might have to consider putting Calgary in my north American top 10.

Calgary, a growing city by Robert Albertin, on Flickr

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; December 18th, 2014 at 10:57 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 18th, 2014, 11:13 AM   #4722
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Seattle

From Salty's in Alki.jpg by daave266, on Flickr
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 11:26 AM   #4723
apinamies

Likes (Received): 714

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I'm with you there. Perhaps it's just my north American bias, but I find the flashy gimmicky buildings going up in Dubai, London, etc a result of how new they are to the skyscraper game. They're kids in a toy store attracted to the shiniest object while places that have been at it for a century+ have developed a taste for traditional, classic designs. London's skyline looks like a dog's breakfast, but I'm hoping that as time passes their penchant for buildings that look like cheese graters and walkie talkies passes.

You showed a lot of pre-war towers, but even the modern towers in north America tend to be conservative rather than trendy. Trendy designs will look dated quickly while these 'safer' designs will stand the test of time.
Although I'm not that big fan of North American cities urban style in general, I think North American skylines are best. They have big variety of styles and not that much like you said walkie talkie tacky skyscrapers.
apinamies no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 01:06 PM   #4724
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Calgary

calgaryskyline by Adrian stoness, on Flickr
Old December 18th, 2014, 09:04 PM   #4725
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31712

Tampa, FL

Tampa by Kmilesbrown, on Flickr

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 09:13 PM   #4726
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Boston, MA

IMG_9425_1 by pixelsand, on Flickr
Old December 18th, 2014, 09:13 PM   #4727
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Pittsburgh, PA

Pittsburgh63 by tinprit, on Flickr
Old December 18th, 2014, 09:47 PM   #4728
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22539

Seattle

Rizal Park 2 by daave266, on

Salty's in Alki.jpg by daave266, on Flickr
Old December 19th, 2014, 06:31 AM   #4729
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

San Francisco

distributively oversimplifying lyrist by bhautik joshi, on Flickr
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 07:27 AM   #4730
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22539

Brooklyn on the right

Manhattan Arrival at Sunrise by CrapulePHL, on Flickr
Old December 19th, 2014, 01:40 PM   #4731
Disturbing Reality
Noxious

Likes (Received): 412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
For a wonderfully mixed skyline, New York's is in a class of its own. In my opinion other skylines can and are outgrowing NYC, but it will likely always be my favourite!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodegavendetta View Post
Some glamour shots of New York's great mix of architecture! With cities either going the mega flashy Asian/Middle Eastern route or new Miami-style condo route, I increasingly appreciate New York's (and Chicago/Montreal/Boston,etc) older style. Not that the new skylines aren't great, but as those skylines get more common, classic North American skylines becomes more unique, imo.
What makes New York City's skyline standout, IMO, is its lots of character that shows history, modernity, diversity and harmony altogether.

Disturbing Reality no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2014, 04:31 PM   #4732
hpal3

Likes (Received): 4015

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckScraperMiami#1 View Post
Wow !!, Is that the Skyline of Chicago ?? QuantumX, Our SSC Friendly Family World Super Moderator and # 1 Miami Forum Friend to Everyone !!
Steve,. Fantastic Photo, and welcome back , How was your Thanksgiving ??
Looks like Chicago from It's Lake there to me,
But NO, It's the Whole City of Miami Skyline from a Cruise Ship about 4 miles out on the Ocean !!

Let's Go Miami and North American City Skyline Cranes !!

That shot is amazing. It's almost as if the city is showing off..."Look at Me, look how big and bad I am"...

hpal3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2014, 05:17 PM   #4733
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpal3 View Post
That shot is amazing. It's almost as if the city is showing off..."Look at Me, look how big and bad I am"...
I had to go back 7 pages to figure out what you were talking about. This is actually both the Miami and the Miami Beach skyline from out at sea. This perspective is going to change radically over the next few years with what's already under construction. I bought a copy of the 2015 World Almanac and Book of Facts yesterday, and the Miami list is quite impressive with more scheduled to start construction next year. There is even more under construction now that didn't make the cutoff before the book went to press.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1, hpal3 liked this post
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2014, 05:23 PM   #4734
ChuckScraperMiami#1

Likes (Received): 22079

STEVE , This is Great , because I lost my book, Walmart is sending me another, It' got lost in the Mail !!
QuantumX, Our SSC Friendly Family World Super Moderator and # 1 Miami Forum Friend To Everyone,
Please tell me How High is PanoramA Tower Please in your Book of FacTs World Almanac !! the Floors and Height Listed there PleASE AND tHANKS !!
Quote:
I had to go back 7 pages to figure out what you were talking about. This is actually both the Miami and the Miami Beach skyline from out at sea. This perspective is going to change radically over the next few years with what's already under construction. I bought a copy of the 2015 World Almanac and Book of Facts yesterday, and the Miami list is quite impressive with more scheduled to start construction next year. There is even more under construction now that didn't make the cutoff before the book went to press.

Let's Go U and all the North American Cities !!, and All Of U of Miami Cranes in 2015 !!
ChuckScraperMiami#1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2014, 05:39 PM   #4735
ChuckScraperMiami#1

WOW the Photo of the day !!~! and Just Taken Too , that newest Tower Just opened to it's Newest Residents !!
WOW !! Wow wow JuanPaulo, Our SSC Friendly Family World and North American Cities Great Photo Friend !!

Please from What Tower or Plane didi you get that Great Angle of Brickell Part of Downtown Miami ?? UNBELIEVAVLE Shot !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
Miami, FL

Brickell South by XT Inc., on Flickr
Old December 20th, 2014, 05:50 PM   #4736
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckScraperMiami#1 View Post
STEVEPlease tell me How High is PanoramA Tower Please in your Book of FacTs World Almanac !! the Floors and Height Listed there PleASE AND tHANKS !!
It's listed at 831 feet or 253.3 meters and 83 floors. The shot above is not one of mine.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1, hpal3 liked this post
Old December 20th, 2014, 05:57 PM   #4737
ChuckScraperMiami#1

WOW and Okay Steve, Now this Is ALL Of MIAMI ,Taken by you again Just 6 Months Ago, Thanks Again and Again QuantumX, Our SSC Friendly Family World Super Moderator and # 1 Miami Forum Friend to Everyone !!

Quote:
MIAMI
Hot off the press. Just taken today.
CSC_0855 by Quantum2010, on Flickr
Another 100 Towers still to Rise in the Next 4 Years, Wow Miami 2020 Here we Come !!
Let's GO ALL The Great North American Cities Skylines and Fantastic Photos of the ever growing Miami Cranes in 2015 !!
Old December 20th, 2014, 06:04 PM   #4738
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

According to the 2015 World Almanac, after Toronto and New York, Miami has more tall buildings under construction than any other city on the North American continent. New York is just a monster in that book, taking up one-and-a-half pages, three solid columns. Chicago takes up a little over one-and-a-half columns. Toronto is approaching a full column. Miami takes up a little over half a colum. We might have a full column by the end of this decade.

My photo threads:

Old December 20th, 2014, 06:19 PM   #4739
ChuckScraperMiami#1

WOW Steve, Your So Very Right QuantumX, Miami Is really # 3, when it comes to North American City Skylines Under Construction , You and I will Both be here in 2020 to Buy our 2021 World Almanac , Book Of Facts , # 1 New York Times Bestseller by the end of 2020 for Sure Our SSC Friendly Family World Super Moderator and # 1 Miami Forum Friend To Everyone !!

Quote:
According to the 2015 World Almanac, after Toronto and New York, Miami has more tall buildings under construction than any other city on the North American continent. New York is just a monster in that book, taking up one-and-a-half pages, three solid columns. Chicago takes up a little over one-and-a-half columns. Toronto is approaching a full column. Miami takes up a little over half a colum. We might have a full column by the end of this decade.
Let's Go All SSC Friendly Family Friends Photos of the Great North American Cities Skylines and Their Tower Construction Cranes in 2015 !!
Old December 20th, 2014, 07:48 PM   #4740
hpal3

Likes (Received): 4015

Philadelphia

https://www.google.com/search?q=phil...8%3B1200%3B797

http://www.datatechlab.com/wp-conten...iladelphia.jpg