daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 9th, 2007, 07:53 AM   #461
WHITESTONE

Likes (Received): 0

chicago baby!
WHITESTONE no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2007, 08:20 AM   #462
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17827

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
To me, I prefre Seattle. Vancouver despite the impressive skyline doesn't have the supertalls that Seattle has plus their skyline is mostly residential condos.
Vancouver has a larger skyline as it has a lot of residentials along both the main and False Creek waterfronts. What makes it unique is the use of glass and the young age of so many of the buildings in the skyline. I don't like skylines that have disproportionate attention on a few very tall buildings if there is nothing else to accompany them. A skyline is about an entire built-up area. A supertall doesn't make a good skyline if it's very lonely. I don't think it's even fair to judge a skyline based on a few landmark buildings only.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 04:36 AM   #463
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2576

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Vancouver has a larger skyline as it has a lot of residentials along both the main and False Creek waterfronts. What makes it unique is the use of glass and the young age of so many of the buildings in the skyline. I don't like skylines that have disproportionate attention on a few very tall buildings if there is nothing else to accompany them. A skyline is about an entire built-up area. A supertall doesn't make a good skyline if it's very lonely. I don't think it's even fair to judge a skyline based on a few landmark buildings only.
It's not just the landmark buildings but I like Seattle's skyline because of it's nice cluster and it's surroundings.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 04:47 AM   #464
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
It's not just the landmark buildings but I like Seattle's skyline because of it's nice cluster and it's surroundings.
Actually, Seattle's mountain backdrop looks further away from the city centre than Vancouver. Vancouver's hills rise very quickly just north of the downtown core across the water. For example, Grouse Mountain offers a panoramic view of the whole city and it's reachable by city bus.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old January 10th, 2007, 07:51 AM   #465
seajer

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Actually, Seattle's mountain backdrop looks further away from the city centre than Vancouver. Vancouver's hills rise very quickly just north of the downtown core across the water. For example, Grouse Mountain offers a panoramic view of the whole city and it's reachable by city bus.
While Seattle's mountains are just a bit further away, the city has beautiful views looking west toward the Olympics, east toward the Cascades, south to Ranier and the isthmus that the city occupies is almost completely surrounded by water. I Love our skyline and I think it's even more impressive when considering the actual size of Seattle. Nice, sleek and modern mixed with historic and soon to be much more residential buildings. Architecturally more impressive IMO.

Last edited by seajer; January 10th, 2007 at 08:16 AM.
seajer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 08:15 AM   #466
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajer View Post
While Seattle's mountains are just a bit further away, the city has beautiful views looking west toward the Olympics, east toward the Cascades, south to Ranier and the city is almost completely surrounded by water. Vancouver's mountains are closer and therefore more dramatic, but only impressive looking toward the north and there is not as much water around the city. Both cities surroundings are great though.
Agree on all but the last part. Vancouver has a lot of waterfront settings. The main harbour area towards the north is a good vantage point with mountains on one side and the skyline on the other. Then there is False Creek in the south and more bays to the east towards Coquitlam. Then the Fraser River's mouth opens up further south of downtown in Richmond. The Strait of Georgia borders to the west, so there is quite a lot of water frontage. But then, the skyline looks best if viewed from a higher vantage point over Richmond looking north, capturing the skyline with the mountains. The view south from North Vancouver / Stanley Park captures the whole skyline, but is missing the mountain backdrop.

Old February 15th, 2007, 04:06 AM   #467
Quall

Likes (Received): 462

1. Atlanta
2. Chicago
3. TO
4. Seattle
5. Montreal

To be honest, I was never fond of the NYC skyline.
Quall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2007, 11:32 AM   #468
FrancisXavier
long live...

Likes (Received): 4

NYC
Chicago
Toronto

FrancisXavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2007, 11:42 AM   #469
QatPhils
DOH - AUH - Baguio :D

Likes (Received): 11

New York
Toronto
Las Vegas
QatPhils no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 03:49 AM   #470
MMH

Likes (Received): 22

New York
Chicago
Toronto
L.A
Miami
S.F
MMH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2007, 04:36 PM   #471
Kngkyle

Likes (Received): 21

Chicago
Toronto
New York (Will pass Toronto once WTC and others are built)
Seattle
Atlanta
Miami
Kngkyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 11:39 PM   #472
tigerboy

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonyj11 View Post
I would say Chicago has the more impressive skyline...nothing in New York really stands out anymore and I would even say that it is a little dated. NYC is still the coolest, most cosmopolitan city in the US though but I don't think its skyline is the best anymore...
Correct. As a city NY is clearly NA's greatest and there is really no argument or discussion there. However Chicago has a definitely superior skyline.

put it like this. From the top of the Hancock you look ACROSS at the Aon, the Sears and the Loop whereas from the ESB you look DOWN at Midtown. That's the difference. Chicago is taller.

I don't place toronto third. For me both Seattle adn vancouver have better skylines.

1. Chicago.
2 NY
3 Seattle
4. Vancouver.
tigerboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 11:08 PM   #473
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

In the 80's, Houston!

If this question was posed in the 1980's, Houston would be on a lot of these lists. But hardly anything tall has been built downtown since! Denver fits into this category as well.

In 2007, after NYC and Chicago: (in no particular order)

Atlanta (inc. midtown)
Los Angeles
Seattle
Vancouver
Toronto
Miami
San Francisco
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 09:47 AM   #474
Fede_Milan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

My top 3
  1. New York
  2. Chicago
  3. Seattle

Zefire liked this post
Fede_Milan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 12:34 PM   #475
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2576

Atlanta is one of my favourite NA skyline though it's not part of the top 3.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 12:44 AM   #476
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 168

I go back and forth between Seattle and San Francisco as to which city takes the number 3 spot, behind NYC and Chicago (in the US only).
Old March 18th, 2007, 12:22 AM   #477
Crizzy

Likes (Received): 5

chicago is good nyc is better!!!
Crizzy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 03:51 AM   #478
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Seattle overperforms!

It is quite interesting that Seattle shows up on a lot of these lists. (Not that I disagree), but Seattle's city and metro population are not even in the top 10 in the U.S.! I think the skyline is great, but the surroundings bring it up a notch. Plus, it is one of just a handful of U.S. cities that continue to build multiple large projects. And edge city, Bellevue, across Lake Washington, is quickly becoming a very dense and tall suburb...never will be Seattle, but I believe there is more office/residential built (and planned) in Bellevue than in all of downtown Portland, OR. (I guess Boeing, Microsoft, and Starbucks must be doing quite well!)
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 04:49 AM   #479
Mahratta
Ayatollah

Likes (Received): 17

1) NYC
2) Chicago
3) Toronto
4) Vancouver
5) Montreal (i love the mix of old and new)
Old March 22nd, 2007, 05:03 AM   #480
Battsman
America

Likes (Received): 0

1. Chicago
2. NYC
3. Toronto
4. Seattle
5. Vancouver
6. LA
7. SF
8. Minneapolis
9. Philly
10. Miami
11. Boston
12. Pittsburgh
13. Houston
14. Dallas
15. Detroit
16. Atlanta
17. Denver

Rest of NA skylines dont have enough height/arent big enough to bother.

Edit - Ah damn forgot Calgary, somewhere around 8 I guess.
Battsman no está en línea   Reply With Quote