daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 9th, 2015, 02:39 AM   #4841
3521usa

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiCityAtty11 View Post
Quantum X is feeling insecure I see
I don't think Quantum meant anything negative by posting that picture. Btw, I think the picture is pretty neat.
3521usa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2015, 02:53 AM   #4842
Disturbing Reality
Noxious

Likes (Received): 412

On the contrary, that's actually one of the most amazing pictures of any city there is..

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Disturbing Reality no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2015, 03:09 AM   #4843
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19049

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3521usa View Post
I don't think Quantum meant anything negative by posting that picture. Btw, I think the picture is pretty neat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbing Reality View Post
On the contrary, that's actually one of the most amazing pictures of any city there is..
That's why I posted it. It's a very interesting shot. What would I be feeling insecure about? I'm pretty baffled by that comment.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2015, 03:20 AM   #4844
ChiCityAtty11

Likes (Received): 474

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
That's why I posted it. It's a very interesting shot. What would I be feeling insecure about? I'm pretty baffled by that comment.
Well, you are from a beach city right? Miami's very identity is strongly connected to their beaches... whereas with Chicago, access to our beaches is something we grow up with, utilize and know that we have, but our identity is not tied to them. I would say that our identity is more tied to being what our nickname says that we are - "the city of broad shoulders."

We value our world economic power (estimated by numerous sources to be the 4th most powerful economic city in the world) http://www.citylab.com/work/2011/09/...ld/109/#slide6... we value sophistication, our Board of Trade, our history, our diverse architecture, the arts and our museums, our tall buildings and the idea and essence of being the powerful city that we are. Our beaches are just extra. I thought you might have posted the picture of Chicago in the dead of winter in response to me exposing a pretty well kept secret of Chicago - that we have beaches and that we have a vibrant beach life. I have had that happen before by another poster.

We enjoy our beaches as I said before, and they are a part of our culture, but we do pretty much consider them as just something extra. Although active and vibrant, they are not a focus for us. Miami is much more of a beach city than Chicago will ever be.

If I was mistaken in my assumption about your post, no hard feelings, my apologies.

Last edited by ChiCityAtty11; January 9th, 2015 at 07:55 AM.
ChiCityAtty11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2015, 04:00 AM   #4845
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Well, you are from a beach city right? Miami's very identity is strongly connected to their beaches... whereas with Chicago, access to our beaches is something we grow up with, utilize and know that we have, but our identity is not tied to them. I would say that our identity is more tied to being what our nickname says that we are - "the city of big shoulders."
I'm not from a beach city. Miami is on a bay, not a beach. Miami Beach, which is its own, separate, independent city is on a beach. This nickname for Chicago that you've mentioned above, "the city with big shoulders," I've never heard before. I've heard "The Windy City" and "The Place of the Onion," a Native American name from the way the place used to smell.

Miami Beach's nickname is "The Fun and Sun Capital of the World."

Nicknames for Miami are "The Magic City," "The Cruise Capital of the World," "Cargo Gateway to the Americas (Port of Miami)." Seems to me you were the one feeling insecure because of your assumption.

Quote:
We value our world economic power (estimated by some reputable sources to be the 4th most powerful economic city in the world)... we value sophistication, our Board of Trade, our history, our diverse architecture, the arts and our museums, our tall buildings and the idea and essence of being the powerful city that we are. Our beaches are just extra. I thought you might have posted the picture of Chicago in the dead of winter in retaliation for me exposing a pretty well kept secret of Chicago - that we have beaches and that we have a vibrant beach life. I have had that happen before by another poster.
All the things you value about Chicago, I value too. I would live there if it didn't get so cold in the winter. I'm a native Floridian, and I just don't think I could handle it. Luckily for me, Miami is looking more like Chicago every day.

Quote:
We enjoy our beaches as I said before, and they are a part of our culture, but we do pretty much consider them as just something extra. Although active and vibrant, they are not a focus for us. If I was mistaken in my assumption about your post, no hard feelings, my apologies.
I was on vacation in Chicago during the summer of 2012. I was shocked that I could actually walk to the beach from my hotel in downtown Chicago. I thought I was in South Beach. Ohio Street Beach was one of the great surprise discoveries of the trip.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Last edited by QuantumX; January 9th, 2015 at 07:43 PM.
Old January 9th, 2015, 04:39 AM   #4846
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 23027

Quote:
Originally Posted by softee View Post
I don't believe that to be true, just within Canada the greater downtown/central cities of both Toronto and Montreal have a higher density than downtown/central Vancouver.
those two cities may have more taller buildings, but Vancouver has a much more dense center.

Downtown Vancouver aerial by Stephen Rees, on Flickr

Toronto Aerial View by MeowMixed, on Flickr

Hélico-08 by Guy Plante, on Flickr

Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2015, 05:07 AM   #4847
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
those two cities may have more taller buildings, but Vancouver has a much more dense center.
Pretty sure it's still less dense than San Francisco, Philadelphia, and Boston, to name 3.

Edit: Looks like it barely beats out Boston (and also Philly). However, Boston's inner suburbs (specifically Cambridge and Somerville) are actually denser than Boston itself, so tough call there. That's just population though. I'd say Philly and Boston both have denser streets and buildup, but unsure how that is measured exactly.

Last edited by DZH22; January 9th, 2015 at 06:00 AM.
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2015, 05:14 AM   #4848
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post

No it just happens to look denser based on the angle of some pictures. It is denser in terms of population and number of highrises compared to Montreal but less than Toronto. Especially if you're mainly just comparing the Toronto financial district with all of central Vancouver like in the pictures above.

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2015, 06:10 AM   #4849
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 313

Of course it's also easy to find one that show Toronto's density.

Aerial view of Toronto at sunset by episa

Toronto skyline by Steph A

toronto from the air by Dave

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2015, 09:12 AM   #4850
ChiCityAtty11

Nicknames for the city of Chicago: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...es_for_Chicago

As you can plainly see... "City of Broad Shoulders"

Or you can say it like they say it in the Watchdogs video game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9yNUOA8RAk

Last edited by ChiCityAtty11; January 9th, 2015 at 04:26 PM.
Old January 9th, 2015, 09:22 AM   #4851
ChiCityAtty11

Quantum X ... no need for the snarky comments my friend. Lest you forget, Chicago invented the skyscraper. Miami will never have the history, culture and great architecture that Chicago has. Its like comparing apples to oranges... you really can't compare the two. Chicago was building skyscrapers when Miami was just a bug infested swamp. Besides, enough with this city v. city stuff anyway. Lets get down to brass tax. NY and Chicago compete with each other - that's kind of the way its always been. Over 100 years of back and forth between those two. Both cities have great architecture, great history and both are big, dense and urban. Los Angeles is more comparable to Houston - big, sprawling and spread out with more of a suburban feel. And Miami competes with the Atlanta's of the world.

C'est la vie my friend...

Last edited by ChiCityAtty11; January 9th, 2015 at 04:17 PM.
Old January 9th, 2015, 05:33 PM   #4852
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Quantum X ... no need for the snarky comments my friend. Lest you forget, Chicago invented the skyscraper. Miami will never have the history, culture and great architecture that Chicago has. Its like comparing apples to oranges... you really can't compare the two. Chicago was building skyscrapers when Miami was just a bug infested swamp. Besides, enough with this city v. city stuff anyway. Lets get down to brass tax. NY and Chicago compete with each other - that's kind of the way its always been. Over 100 years of back and forth between those two. Both cities have great architecture, great history and both are big, dense and urban. Los Angeles is more comparable to Houston - big, sprawling and spread out with more of a suburban feel. And Miami competes with the Atlanta's of the world.

Dude, what is wrong with you? I really don't care. Get off your high horse already.

My photo threads:

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
Old January 9th, 2015, 06:48 PM   #4853
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2111

Quote:

New York vs Chicago is over. It's NYC in a landslide, and that gap is widening every day. Also, you'd better keep looking over your shoulder, because Toronto is coming for you!

By the way, as long as you're talking about Chicago over Miami superlatives, don't forget crime! Chicago has both the higher murder rate, and the most murders of any US city! Congratulations! No wonder your insecurities are showing.

Quantum, ignore this guy. Nobody here should care about the opinions of a 10 year old anyway.

Oh and since it seems like you were, in fact, born yesterday, here's some food for thought. 30 years ago Shenzhen didn't even exist as a city. Today, the skyline is now larger than Chicago's. Things change. Someday when you grow up you will realize that 2004 wasn't the first year in human history, even if it was the first year in yours.

DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2015, 07:21 PM   #4854
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
New York vs Chicago is over. It's NYC in a landslide, and that gap is widening every day.
Yes, the New York skyline is over twice as big as Chicago's and continues to grow at a much faster pace.

Quote:
By the way, as long as you're talking about Chicago over Miami superlatives, don't forget crime!
I don't even know what got him started with this. All I said is Miami is looking more like Chicago every day, meaning I can enjoy living in a city with a big skyline without freezing in the winter. That's all!

Quote:
Quantum, ignore this guy. Nobody here should care about the opinions of a 10 year old anyway.
I kind of got the impression he was very young.

My photo threads:

Old January 9th, 2015, 07:35 PM   #4855
ChuckScraperMiami#1

Likes (Received): 22119

And To Add QuantumX, I Believe He or she Hit a Low here, I Don't think he or she Knows you are a 5 Year SSC Friendly Family World Super Moderator and Capable Of giving Him a Warning's Notice by PM or He don't Know what could Happen to Him breaking the SSC Rules here

Quote:
Quantum X is feeling insecure I see
He or she has been Out for over 3 Hours, maybe already warned
I really see a Problem starting here soon,
ChuckScraperMiami#1 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2015, 07:41 PM   #4856
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Well, as long as he/she doesn't persist in the kind attitude he's already manifested, I won't take any kind of disciplinary action.

My photo threads:

Old January 9th, 2015, 08:31 PM   #4857
Jay

Likes (Received): 1864

I love Chicago <3

Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2015, 09:01 PM   #4858
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I love Chicago <3
So do I! Here are a few pictures from my trip.

My photo threads:

Old January 10th, 2015, 12:05 AM   #4859
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 23027

Jersey City - it's easy to be overshadowed when there's a skyline like that right across the river

Untitled by Dan Freeman Photography, on Flickr
Old January 10th, 2015, 05:34 AM   #4860
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 32152

Panama City, Panama

20141222 - 11 25 33 - Panama City.jpg by XtopheC, on Flickr

Panorámica hacia el sur by Candilejas Fotografía, on Flickr