daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 14th, 2015, 06:50 AM   #4901
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

Houston's got quite a spine of skyscrapers (at least in that last shot lol). I think it's a bit underrated. The downtown is also a modernist's dream. I don't know where I read it but someone described downtown Houston as "the Miesian ideal, a downtown so elegant it's barely there." Too bad it has no street life, though.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2015, 07:51 AM   #4902
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31804

Panama City, Panama

Fly Away by landeroc, on Flickr
Old January 14th, 2015, 08:00 AM   #4903
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31804

San Francisco, CA

DSC_2050 by mpjoynt, on Flickr
Old January 14th, 2015, 08:05 AM   #4904
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10806

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodegavendetta View Post
Houston's got quite a spine of skyscrapers (at least in that last shot lol). I think it's a bit underrated. The downtown is also a modernist's dream. I don't know where I read it but someone described downtown Houston as "the Miesian ideal, a downtown so elegant it's barely there." Too bad it has no street life, though.
I love Mies but Houston's skyline always leaves me feeling its missing something. Perhaps you hit the nail on the head when you said it's so elegant it's barely there. Modernism, even the best examples of it, needs other buildings around it that offer warmth, texture, and embellishment. A sea of stripped down buildings can become sterile and austere.

The best looking skylines in my eyes are those that offer great architectural diversity and layering. It's one area where Asian and European skylines fall down a little. Most of them have next to nothing pre 1990.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; January 14th, 2015 at 08:22 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2015, 11:59 PM   #4905
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22571

Downtown Toronto .... Toronto, Ontario, Canada by Greg's Southern Ontario, on Flickr

.... Twilight Zone Toronto .... "Explored" by Greg's Southern Ontario, on Flickr
Old January 15th, 2015, 05:08 AM   #4906
fredcalif

Likes (Received): 1112

San Francisco Skyline

For someone who think MIami Skyline is larger and denser than SF

Old January 15th, 2015, 05:25 AM   #4907
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Who said the Miami skyline was more dense than San Francisco's? I would certainly never argue that. I used to live there. Miami is now statistically larger, however, in terms of number of tall buildings over all (see the link I provided). Statisticians support this, not what people want to see in a photo.

http://tudl0867.home.xs4all.nl/skylines.html

Downtown Miami by Jon Bowles, on Flickr
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 06:24 AM   #4908
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22571

_MG_1669 by stevenschelling, on Flickr
Old January 15th, 2015, 04:09 PM   #4909
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

From Staten Island ...

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Bbe...DEER_019.0.JPG

hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2015, 05:03 PM   #4910
isaidso
the new republic

Vancouver

Photo by Gord Makenna

This one looks like it's been stretched to make the buildings appear taller than they are but a good photo nonetheless:

Ominous sky over Vancouver
by MiloVoschPhotography, on Flickr

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old January 15th, 2015, 09:09 PM   #4911
fredcalif

Likes (Received): 1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumX View Post
Who said the Miami skyline was more dense than San Francisco's? I would certainly never argue that. I used to live there. Miami is now statistically larger, however, in terms of number of tall buildings over all (see the link I provided). Statisticians support this, not what people want to see in a photo.

http://tudl0867.home.xs4all.nl/skylines.html

Downtown Miami by Jon Bowles, on Flickr
Miami Skyline is growing, it just need to add more density. some skylines look better with more mid high rise building than a few tall buildings
Old January 15th, 2015, 11:43 PM   #4912
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredcalif View Post
Miami Skyline is growing, it just need to add more density. some skylines look better with more mid high rise building than a few tall buildings
I think we have enough mid-rise buildings. Anyway, as you can see, statistics bear me out. I don't just make things up or decide what is what on my own.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Old January 16th, 2015, 02:07 AM   #4913
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Gotham City

IMG_1046 by kz1000ps, on Flickr
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 05:01 AM   #4914
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

Quote:
I think we have enough mid-rise buildings. Anyway, as you can see, statistics bear me out. I don't just make things up or decide what is what on my own.
Just curious, do the statistics include Miami Beach (and other beachside municipalities)? Or only Miami proper?

Edit: Just hit that link, looks like they do. So basically a fairly sizable part of the skyline isn't pictured in the photo above, right?

sbarn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 06:04 AM   #4915
isaidso
the new republic

The figures for Miami used to exclude Sunny Isles but now includes it. Miami Beach was always included.

Old January 16th, 2015, 06:24 AM   #4916
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Wow, that is spectacular! It looks like one large Manhattan skyline and includes many of the most famous landmarks all in one shot!

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo

Last edited by Nouvellecosse; January 17th, 2015 at 04:09 AM.
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 03:02 PM   #4917
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Just curious, do the statistics include Miami Beach (and other beachside municipalities)? Or only Miami proper?

Edit: Just hit that link, looks like they do. So basically a fairly sizable part of the skyline isn't pictured in the photo above, right?
That's correct! It's very difficult to get it all into one photo. This is the best I've been able to do.

]

My photo threads:

Old January 16th, 2015, 05:46 PM   #4918
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 55336

https://www.flickr.com/photos/104654...n/photostream/
Old January 16th, 2015, 07:56 PM   #4919
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

Quote:
That's correct! It's very difficult to get it all into one photo. This is the best I've been able to do.
Its interesting because it kind of creates an apples and oranges situation when comparing Miami to other U.S. skylines. Since it is spread such a large geographic area, it is difficult to compare it to a city like Seattle, San Francisco or Philly - where nearly all the tall buildings are clustered in the CBD area. I wonder how the statistics of just downtown Miami & the Brickell area would compare to other U.S. downtowns.

sbarn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 08:14 PM   #4920
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Its interesting because it kind of creates an apples and oranges situation when comparing Miami to other U.S. skylines. Since it is spread such a large geographic area, it is difficult to compare it to a city like Seattle, San Francisco or Philly - where nearly all the tall buildings are clustered in the CBD area. I wonder how the statistics of just downtown Miami & the Brickell area would compare to other U.S. downtowns.
You could argue that Southern vs Northern cities is apples to oranges. Miami is more comparable to the multi-node skylines of say, Houston and Atlanta.

There's also the apples to oranges comparison of Canadian cities, which tend to have many more 100m residential towers, but much less in the 150m+ range (except Calgary, punching well above its weight class).

This is why the pure statistics should only serve as a starting point in people's rankings. Every city can stand out by framing the argument specifically towards that city, just like every city can fall short by framing the argument differently. (except NYC, which kind of just owns every argument)

Some different statistical measures to consider include:
# of 100m+ towers
# of 150m+ towers
# of 200m+ towers
# of supertalls
Top 10/Top 25 Average Height (ie "tallest" skylines)
Pure Floor Count (favors residential skylines, many shorter resi's worth more points than taller office buildings)
And of course, this sucker http://tudl0867.home.xs4all.nl/skylines.html

That's just a start. Other innovative (but difficult to measure) stats would include:
# of square footage/meterage above a certain threshold (rewards larger footprint towers)
Measures that include vs exclude spires (ie occupiable/roof height, and how much extra boost does a city gain through spires?)
Including antenna (Willis Tower anybody?)
Exponential points for increased height (say 150m "baseline", where 150m tower = 150m/150*150 = 150 points, where 100m = 100m/150*100 = 67 points, 200m = 200m/150*200 = 267 points....)
How about points for every 10 meters, starting at 100m? (100 buildings over 100m = 100 points, + 90 of those buildings over 110m = 90*1.1 = 99 points, + 70 of those buildings over 120m = 70*1.2 = 84 points..... etc and then add the point totals at the end)

There are literally infinite ways to measure a city's skyline, and the rankings are going to be different depending on how you do it.

Last edited by DZH22; January 16th, 2015 at 08:23 PM.
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote