daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 11th, 2015, 05:46 AM   #5141
3521usa

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
I posted the picture of Miami and was waiting for his comment. Then I found the news about his passing on the Miami forum. So sad to see a dear SSC friend go. You will be missed, QuantumX.
I rarely post on here but I'm a frequent visitor to the site and I've always enjoyed QuantumX's posts and pictures. He was very dedicated to Miami and that really resonated with me as I always appreciate when people show pride for their city.

I do recall him posing something about being sick and not having much time and his desire to see the changes coming to the Miami skyline. Well, I hope he gets to see those changes from above. R.I.P QuantumX, you will be missed!

nomarandlee liked this post
3521usa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2015, 06:51 AM   #5142
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10786

I'll suggest this on the Miami thread as well, but perhaps we should find a great QuantumX photo and submit it for the SSC banner and ask if it can remain up there for a while. It's the least we can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Streetcar or subway?? Suburbs are best served by commuter expressrail. Think of Paris RER or SF BART. Expecting hundreds of thousands of people living in suburbs to use that type of service is in no way unreasonable as it happens every day in many dozens or even hundreds of cities. Btw, check out RER C and imagine that replacing the Lakeshore East and West lines.
What makes sense in one city doesn't necessarily make sense in others. Solutions should always be tailored to the individual city as factors are rarely identical. The investments we're making in rail are vital and should continue full steam ahead, but a city's optimal transportation strategy is one that's multi-pronged: walking, bicycles, buses, LRT, subways, ferries, and cars.

Mayor John Tory is promoting express rail on already built lines. It should alleviate congestion but we'll still need the Gardiner. I don't think people are being realistic if they believe a massive investment in rail will make the highway system unnecessary.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; February 11th, 2015 at 07:15 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2015, 07:18 AM   #5143
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12196

Yes, I've been devastated all day. Poor Steve; we will all miss him here.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, nomarandlee liked this post
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2015, 07:46 AM   #5144
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 307

Yes it was so sudden. I can remember him mentioning that he was fighting an illness, but I honestly didn't get the impression that it was life threatening. But I suppose most of us wouldn't want to publicly air the details of our personal struggles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
What makes sense in one city doesn't necessarily make sense in others. Solutions should always be tailored to the individual city as factors are rarely identical. The investments we're making in rail are vital and should continue full steam ahead, but a city's optimal transportation strategy is one that's multi-pronged: walking, bicycles, buses, LRT, subways, ferries, and cars.

Mayor John Tory is promoting express rail on already built lines. It should alleviate congestion but we'll still need the Gardiner. I don't think people are being realistic if they believe a massive investment in rail will make the highway system unnecessary.
I'm afraid that without stating specific differences that we need to tailor the solution too, simply saying that a city cannot use a strategy proven in many others just sounds like a cop-out.

Is there really any reason why high frequency (10 minute or greater at peak) suburban express rail cannot serve a city like Toronto? I mean, the Lakeshore West line serves 60,000 riders per weekday as it is, so if the service frequency tripled and its ridership also tripled, that extra 120,000 people is already more than the Gardiner carries and that's not even counting capacity increases on other GO lines. I really think people over estimate the efficiency of highways. They look very busy and congested and that makes people assume that they're transporting an amazing volume of people and goods, but in reality it's a false impression and they aren't actually very efficient at all.

Not that an urban highway doesn't have its uses, but for one that's aging and would require huge investments to maintain or replace, one must really consider where to invest the limited funds.

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2015, 08:43 AM   #5145
isaidso
the new republic

I'm saying that investment in rail doesn't negate the need for highways. Some cities can get away with one or the other, Toronto needs both. That's not a cop out but a recognition that Toronto isn't Paris. The Gardiner does dissect the downtown but arguing for its demolition without planning for an alternative route underground isn't wise imo. We'd be in a heap of trouble.

I don't have a background in transportation analysis but more options are always better than fewer. We shouldn't be in a rush to destroy infrastructure simply because it's fallen out of favour with the current generation. We did that with rail, almost to our detriment. Rail is now making a comeback.

Even if you were correct and rail could 100% replace highways for trips within the city, Torontonians still need a way out of the city by car as does the trucking industry. Funneling it through city streets? Be careful what you wish for.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; February 11th, 2015 at 09:05 AM.
Old February 11th, 2015, 09:25 AM   #5146
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

In the wiki page for the Gardiner, this paragraph particularly struck me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gardiner_Expressway

The highway has not been expanded since its initial construction. Today, commuting traffic into and out of the downtown core moves very slowly during the rush hours, which has led to growth in commuting by other modes. Introduced in the 1960s, the province's GO Transit has increased train frequency and capacity along the Lakeshore route to the point where GO now carries 19% of inbound commuters to downtown, while the Gardiner carries 8%. The TTC carries 47% of commuters and other auto routes account for 26% of inbound commuters, according to 2006 figures.[45]
It goes to show that the vast majority of people entering downtown already use other methods and the percentage has increased as the circumstances warranted. You've made the statement that "Toronto needs both" but provided no reason why other than that Toronto isn't Paris. What exactly are these insurmountable obstacles that Toronto faces that Paris (and Vancouver, and London, etc.) doesn't?

- MysticMcGoo

Old February 11th, 2015, 02:39 PM   #5147
isaidso
the new republic

Leaving Vancouver by car is a nightmare I wouldn't want vastly more populated Toronto to emulate. London severely restricted when trucks can deliver product. They also resorted to extreme measures to get cars off the road. It's turned into a luxury for the monied like many other things in that city. London is extremely expensive to live in for a reason.

We seem to be beating a dead horse, but I'll leave it at this. I'd much rather Toronto had that one extra piece of infrastructure that Vancouver and London go without. You disagree. Then again you might change your mind when you see how many Torontonians leave the city on Friday for cottage country. A similar summer exodus in London just doesn't exist.

The Stampede City

http://www.stockaerialphotos.com/-/g...algary-skyline

http://www.stockaerialphotos.com/-/g...algary-alberta

Foggy Calgary by MSVG, on Flickr

Last edited by isaidso; February 11th, 2015 at 03:20 PM.
Old February 11th, 2015, 03:01 PM   #5148
isaidso
the new republic

Montreal

http://www.stockaerialphotos.com/-/g...ontreal-quebec

http://www.stockaerialphotos.com/-/g...ontreal-quebec

Last edited by isaidso; February 11th, 2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old February 11th, 2015, 06:45 PM   #5149
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Leaving Vancouver by car is a nightmare I wouldn't want vastly more populated Toronto to emulate. London severely restricted when trucks can deliver product. They also resorted to extreme measures to get cars off the road. It's turned into a luxury for the monied like many other things in that city. London is extremely expensive to live in for a reason.

We seem to be beating a dead horse, but I'll leave it at this. I'd much rather Toronto had that one extra piece of infrastructure that Vancouver and London go without. You disagree. Then again you might change your mind when you see how many Torontonians leave the city on Friday for cottage country. A similar summer exodus in London just doesn't exist.
Just because someone is arguing a particular position doesn't necessarily mean that that's their own personal opinion. It might seem disingenuous to some, but it's really just a form of recreation.

But yes I agree that we've been somewhat going in circles. I haven't made up my mind whether or not the Gardiner should be torn down, but I will say that I 100% believe that using a private vehicle in the centre of a major city should be a difficult prospect. If it isn't then the city is just not using good planning principles. So it being hard to get in and out of Vancouver by car is actually a feature, not a bug.

My preference is to simply ban private vehicles from the downtown core during rush hour, say 7:30am - 9:30am and 4:30pm - 6:30pm (as opposed to a congestion fee) and only allow commercial vehicles who have bought a special permit, or private vehicles that have a temporary exemption after proving they have a special need to be there.

The commute modeshare in Canada is much less geared toward private cars than in the US, but much more so than in Europe. Changing this requires "extreme measures" as these are major fundamental characteristics of how our society functions. You're normally the last one who'd shy away from extreme measures so your "That's just the way things are" type responses seemed surprisingly uncharacteristic of you. You're usually the one to challenge naysayers who are claiming something cannot be achieved because we simply aren't "X, Y or Z city"

I can just imagine this conversation in the 50s or 60s:

Visionary: "Wouldn't it be amazing if Toronto had an iconic, tall, landmark observation tower in the center of town?" It would become world famous, attract thousands of visitors and be a defining symbol of our city!"

Naysayer: "That might work in some places but it just isn't realistic for us. After all, this isn't Paris."

- MysticMcGoo

Old February 11th, 2015, 11:01 PM   #5150
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22539

Jersey City (and two famous islands nearby) - it looks tiny from the harbor, doesn't it?

The Staten Island Ferry by santisss, on Flickr

Star Light, Star Bright by Keith Michael NYC, on Flickr

Last edited by Hudson11; February 12th, 2015 at 02:29 AM.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2015, 03:12 AM   #5151
skyscraperhighrise

Likes (Received): 1084

R.I.P. QuatnumX, you will be missed by all of us.

Democrips and rebloodlicans aka democrats and republicans, two wings of the same bird of prey

thankfully i'm a libertarian constitutionalist.

#standwithrand

R.I.P. QuantumX, you will never be forgotten.

Rivaille, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
skyscraperhighrise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2015, 02:18 PM   #5152
lg9856

Likes (Received): 997

594261683100569 by alviesunkel2666, on Flickr

Bby15a25 Burnaby Heights View of Vancouver by CanadaGood, on Flickr

Living Shangri-la & Vancouver Skyline at Sunset by globetrekimages, on Flickr
Old February 12th, 2015, 05:48 PM   #5153
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

In honor of Quantum teaching me how to post from flickr... Miami

PortMiami by Kim Drotz, on Flickr

Last edited by DZH22; February 12th, 2015 at 09:32 PM.
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 09:23 PM   #5154
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

Appleton, Wisconsin.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mrlaug...22357/sizes/k/

bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 09:24 PM   #5155
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31712

Appleton? Hmmmm......

JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 09:37 PM   #5156
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
Appleton? Hmmmm......
Referring to the error on today's banner

bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 04:41 AM   #5157
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Miami (RIP Q)

Sunrise Skyline by ruimc77, on Flickr

Downtown Miami by ruimc77, on Flickr

Last edited by Hudson11; February 14th, 2015 at 04:46 AM.
Old February 15th, 2015, 01:20 AM   #5158
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31712

This one is for you Quantum. RIP.

Miami, FL

Miami from above by jason.lamonica, on Flickr
Old February 15th, 2015, 01:48 AM   #5159
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

one more from Miami

Downtown Miami by hemanth810, on Flickr
Old February 15th, 2015, 02:26 AM   #5160
isaidso
the new republic

Goodbye Steve (QuantumX). You've been in my thoughts all day.