daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 2nd, 2015, 09:28 AM   #5441
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10970

I didn't realize the Space Needle was that far inland.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2015, 09:54 AM   #5442
isaidso
the new republic

Calgary

That's the Calgary Stampede happening in the lower part of the photo. It's a 10 day rodeo, exhibition, and celebration of 'Western' culture (ranching, cowboys, First Nations)
that happens every July. It's the biggest annual event in western Canada. It regularly draws well over 1 million attendees.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; April 2nd, 2015 at 10:06 AM.
Old April 2nd, 2015, 03:19 PM   #5443
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

I don't know but there's something I really like about Calgary. Its skyline is very nice, I already mentioned that. But apart from that the city seems to be very sympathetic and livable. I could see myself living there.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2015, 05:15 PM   #5444
isaidso
the new republic

A lot of people go for a 2-3 year stint but end up moving there permanently. I visited southern Alberta (and Calgary) for the first time 2 summers ago and loved it. Gorgeous landscapes, down to earth people, prosperous, pro business, and no sales tax. I found myself wondering if I'd end up there one day so agree that there's something very attractive about the place.

Cowtonian, hunser liked this post
Old April 2nd, 2015, 07:33 PM   #5445
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
A lot of people go for a 2-3 year stint but end up moving there permanently. I visited southern Alberta (and Calgary) for the first time 2 summers ago and loved it. Gorgeous landscapes, down to earth people, prosperous, pro business, and no sales tax. I found myself wondering if I'd end up there one day so agree that there's something very attractive about the place.
How are the Winters? I feel like the place would be almost uninhabitable from December through March, but honestly have no idea.
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2015, 08:12 PM   #5446
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
How are the Winters? I feel like the place would be almost uninhabitable from December through March, but honestly have no idea.
Winters on the prairie are typically extremely cold and pose the only significant negative. Two things counteract that. It's a far sunnier and drier part of the continent than the Great Lakes and US northeast/Maritimes. I didn't think it would make a difference but it does help more than I thought. You don't get endless dreary grey days out there, but it is a lot colder. I spent 4 weeks in northwest Ontario in the dead of winter. It was -30C the whole time but the sun/blue skies really did make a big difference. I almost preferred it to winters in the east.

The second positive is exclusive to southern Alberta and called a 'chinook'. It's a phenomenon due to proximity to the Rockies that results in extreme bursts of rapid warming. They happen many times each winter and temperatures can quickly rise 20 to 40C. Calgary can go from -20C to +10C in a few hours. It then stays warm for a few hours up to a few days. Lethbridge gets 30-35 chinook days each year. They offer a reprieve from the cold and make winters there more tolerable. When you move further north to Edmonton it becomes more problematic as chinooks don't occur there. The most rapid warming ever recorded occurred in Pincher Creek to the west of Lethbridge. The temperature rose from -19C to +22C (-2F to +72F) in 1 hour.

That said, I'm not going to sugar coat it. The central portion of America has a continental climate and temperature extremes are the norm. Would I trade a Chicago/NY/Boston/Toronto winter for a Calgary winter? I might.

Where Chinooks Occur Most Frequently

Cowtonian liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; April 2nd, 2015 at 09:07 PM.
Old April 2nd, 2015, 09:42 PM   #5447
Cowtonian

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
Calgary winters are like a person with Bi-Polar disorder lol! You can get some crazy nice weather here, and sometimes it's nasty cold. It's a bit different from the other prairie cities, in that the really cold weather doesn't usually last very long. sometimes only a couple of days, and then it's reasonably mild for a while. Statistically speaking the winters are warmer than say, Minneapolis...of course people in the U.S. would think of Minnie as really cold

Here are some examples just for comparison sake.

Chicago

Calgary

Minnie

Winnipeg - This is a typical prairie winter climate
Cowtonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2015, 09:45 PM   #5448
Cowtonian

Likes (Received): 58

That's a great pic. I've never seen that one before.

Quote:
Calgary

That's the Calgary Stampede happening in the lower part of the photo. It's a 10 day rodeo, exhibition, and celebration of 'Western' culture (ranching, cowboys, First Nations)
that happens every July. It's the biggest annual event in western Canada. It regularly draws well over 1 million attendees.
Cowtonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2015, 11:34 PM   #5449
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtonian View Post
That's a great pic. I've never seen that one before.
Agree. I'm impressed with how built up the belt line is.

Old April 3rd, 2015, 12:07 AM   #5450
Luisomad

Likes (Received): 162

PUEBLA, México
Luisomad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2015, 12:41 AM   #5451
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 32152

Boston, MA

DSC09440 by antoniseb, on Flickr

KlausDiggy liked this post
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2015, 03:30 AM   #5452
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 23027

Philly

IMG_2514 by jacorbett70, on Flickr

Center City Skyline by cmyhsi, on Flickr
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2015, 05:45 AM   #5453
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Panama City, Panama

Untitled by Federico, on Flickr

isaidso, KlausDiggy, Manitopiaaa liked this post
Old April 3rd, 2015, 06:19 AM   #5454
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Panama City's skyline is way more expansive than many think!

fredcalif, KlausDiggy liked this post
Old April 3rd, 2015, 06:38 AM   #5455
DZH22

Thanks for the info on Calgary isaidso and cowtonian.

By the way, to the far left of this shot you can see the U/C Millennium Tower. It's Boston's tallest in the last 40 years and will be 3rd overall in the city (soon after to drop to 4th, with all 3 taller buildings out of view to the right). You can't tell here, but it has probably the best glass I have ever seen on a residential skyscraper! The first of many game-changers Boston will build over the next 5-10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
Boston, MA

DSC09440 by antoniseb, on Flickr
I took this shot the other day. It's over 20 floors.

Old April 3rd, 2015, 01:40 PM   #5456
isaidso
the new republic

To someone like me who's not been to Boston I always have a hard time figuring out from what angle I'm looking at the city due to the varied shoreline. Am I looking west or am I looking east with Beacon Hill in the foreground? Of is this another angle altogether like to the southwest from where Charlestown Navy Yard is? I'm looking at Google Maps and still can't figure it out.

And np regarding the Calgary info. It's one of the great things about SSC. You can learn about other places just by asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
Panama City's skyline is way more expansive than many think!
Agree. When joining SSC I was astonished to find a big skyline like that in central America. It gets criticized for its architecture and low quality but it's still an impressive skyline and one of the best in NA.

Last edited by isaidso; April 3rd, 2015 at 02:05 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 02:26 PM   #5457
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53484

Austin

13 (1 of 1) by 512crew, on Flickr
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2015, 05:22 PM   #5458
DZH22

Quote:
To someone like me who's not been to Boston I always have a hard time figuring out from what angle I'm looking at the city due to the varied shoreline. Am I looking west or am I looking east with Beacon Hill in the foreground? Of is this another angle altogether like to the southwest from where Charlestown Navy Yard is? I'm looking at Google Maps and still can't figure it out.
These are both taken from across the Charles River, on Memorial Drive in Cambridge. (actually the first one is above it, you can see it at the bottom of the shot) Definitely the MUST SEE road for any skyscraper fans visiting Boston. I can't speak for the other one but mine is taken from near the Longfellow Bridge (but still between that and the Mass Ave/Harvard Bridge).

Basically taken from here: https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.3...44.11,,0,10.76
Zoom out and you might understand it a little better. The skyline is almost shaped like a boomerang. It's extremely confusing, but the city feels much larger from street level because you can't just look down straight roads and see where they end. It's more of a maze: curvy, hilly, extremely narrow streets, packed with "tall" (5-6 story average) low-rises, lots of water.

Beacon Hill is the dense lowrise section rising up towards the left of the shot. Most of the skyline is behind the hill, so looks a bit shorter due to the hill blocking the first 10-12 floors of most of the highrises.

Here's a few pics panned a bit more to the left, and zoomed in on Beacon Hill.

bodegavendetta, isaidso liked this post

Last edited by DZH22; April 3rd, 2015 at 05:34 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 09:21 PM   #5459
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 23027

Charlotte

On top of a parking deck by mastergee280, on Flickr

KlausDiggy, Jeanf1990 liked this post
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2015, 10:42 PM   #5460
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!