daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 29th, 2015, 10:31 PM   #5761
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31736

Pittsburgh, PA

Waiting for twilight by Tim Baird, on Flickr

Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2015, 01:34 AM   #5762
xalapa2020

Likes (Received): 9

esa toma de toronto se ve muy hermosa

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
xalapa2020 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2015, 01:08 PM   #5763
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
I know people complain about glass towers but I like them; they add sparkle and colour and life to a drab and dated skyline......
The glass tower complaints are generally because:
A. There are too many look-a-like buildings being built in the same city, or
B. The glass looks cheap.

When I complain about Toronto's glass, it's because it falls into both of the above categories. At least the buildings have different sizes/shapes, but it often looks like 1 building ordered 10 times too much cladding, so the same skin gets used on like 10 straight towers. That's boring.

Shangri La and Four Seasons have really good looking glass. L Tower is partially good (curtain wall side). Aura has a decent top but disappointing cladding overall given the enormity of it. Most of the smaller towers are creating a sea of sameness. A taller sea of blue popping out of a shorter sea of beige. Toronto needs more buildings like Scotia to improve the color scheme.

Boston has built plenty of crap lately, but ***no 2 craps look alike.*** The large, skyline defining buildings coming here all appear to be extremely high quality. New beacons on the skyline to be proud of, with thoughtful designs and premium cladding.

Last edited by DZH22; June 30th, 2015 at 01:50 PM.
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2015, 01:19 PM   #5764
DZH22

Quote:
A bit of variety in colour and design of contemporary towers would really help a lot here.
Bad angle of the city, makes it look almost as boring as this. Talk about needing color.

Queens Quay Revitalization by Marcanadian, on Flickr

Contemporary isn't always better. This is about as charming as a 1960's doctor's office.

Downtown from Sugar Beach by Don Whittemore, on Flickr

Last edited by DZH22; June 30th, 2015 at 01:47 PM.
Old June 30th, 2015, 01:32 PM   #5765
DZH22

Some neat shots of Boston from flickr

Boston view from a South End roof deck by Joshua Weinberg, on Flickr

Boston Skyline by Ryan O'Shea, on Flickr

Old Boston at the South End by Thomas Logan, on Flickr
Old June 30th, 2015, 01:48 PM   #5766
DZH22

Wonderful picture! I love the layering, density, variety. A true metropolis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
Montreal, QB

IMG_3333 by Samuel L-G, on Flickr

plantagenet, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by DZH22; June 30th, 2015 at 03:03 PM.
Old July 1st, 2015, 05:20 AM   #5767
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22542

Seattle

Sunset from Kerry Park by Mir Isaamullah, on Flickr
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2015, 03:33 PM   #5768
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Another Midtown Blue Panorama (P6280102-Pano) by Michael Lee, on Flickr

Hamilton Park Blue View (P6280114) by Michael Lee, on Flickr

Lower Manhattan Sunset (P6280031-HDR) by Michael Lee, on Flickr
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2015, 03:10 AM   #5769
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Philadelphia

Skyline by Michael Enio Reali, on Flickr

Los Angeles

P6280750 by Jazmine Le, on Flickr

Seattle

A monster is created by Amtrak290, on Flickr

Last edited by Hudson11; July 2nd, 2015 at 03:28 AM.
Old July 2nd, 2015, 07:29 PM   #5770
BrickellResidence

Likes (Received): 6568

Monterrey, Mexico

BrickellResidence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2015, 08:48 PM   #5771
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12198

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
Aww inspiring, yet quite drab looking at the same time. The old buildings are all beige and forgettable. The new buildings are all shoddy-to-average blue glass and forgettable. Somebody needs to inform Toronto that variety is the spice of life. It's like the city's MO is to look as dull as humanly possible. The "Vancouverization" of Toronto!!!
Quote:
Bad angle of the city, makes it look almost as boring as this. Talk about needing color.
Wel....thats a lot of of the cuff and sweeping generalisations, so where would I begin? I'm sorry you find all the old buildings beige and forgettable and all the new buildings shoddy, etc...etc....etc... and generally have such a low opinion of the look of our city, but we are all entitled to our own opinions! I guess it is safe to say that Toronto just isn't your kind of city and that's okay with me.
I think we'd all love more colour in contemporary projects; not only in what goes up here but what is being built around the world so I completely agree with you on that point. Personally, I am loving the burst of change and activity and am pretty happy accepting the mix of towers that are popping up all around our city. There have been a tremendous amount of towers go up in the past decade and not all of them are ultra high end deluxe projects; many are built for regular people with ordinary jobs. Toronto is one of the fastest growing urban areas in all of North America; the Greater Toronto area population rose over 400,000 in the period between 2006 and 2011 alone. A lot of those people are moving downtown, so we have different challenges than a slow, or normal growth city. Thankfully they haven't just slapped up concrete commie blocks to house everyone. The old and the new is all part of a mix; you take the mid and lower range projects along with the deluxe high end projects.

People often talk as if every single project that goes up should have a sky high budget with unlimited funds. There is a huge difference between starter to mid range condo projects and head office towers for international banks or multinational corporations. The Four Seasons Hotel is the flagship for the entire international chain; of course it is going to use "better glass" than a starter condo that a couple is going to make their first investment on. I'm a bit surprised when people talk as if every tower going up should be built as deluxe as the headquarters of a 20 billion dollar empire. That is rather like asking why every car you see on a freeway does not look like a Maserati or a Ferrari, or why every woman doesn't wear Prada or Dior because it looks nicer. Budgetary constraints make the world go 'round! One does not have to be an economist to know that the amount of money you spend on the tower will be reflected in the final cost of the unit. Condos here are frightfully expensive enough as it is and the average young person simply could not afford a unit in a tower like the Four Seasons. I spoke earlier of our population boom; housing has to be for everyone and not only the very rich!

Quote:
Boston has built plenty of crap lately, but ***no 2 craps look alike.***
Don't forget, when you live somewhere you pay closer attention to projects and you see that they don't all look alike. Casual viewers on a site like this might glance at what is going up in Boston and instantly pronounce it all looks the same because they are not as familiar with it as you. I myself spent time in Boston last summer (it is a city I love), but I confess when I think back about the new construction I saw nothing really stands out in my mind. I'm just a casual visitor but when I go to Boston what interests me is the historical architecture. For newer construction nothing particularly jumped out at me, but I'm not going to be lazy and say they all looked the same because I really didn't study them very much.
For example, with this photo of a brand new neighbourhood in Toronto below, one person could glance at this photo and say they "all look the same" because they are all glazed towers built around the same time, but another person might notice differences in the styles. Bear in mind that a decade ago none of this existed. The area was all parking lots or derelict brownfields that have become a brand new neighbourhood with office towers, hotels and condominiums:

Any city's skyline represent projects of differing architectural periods, wildly different budgets that are intended for end users with wildly different incomes. In this first photo, the row of 5 shorter projects in the front closest to the camera where built in the 1980's and have a different look to what is going up now. The middle ground are more contemporary projects, and the background are mostly International Style office towers that were built in the 1970's/'80's by architects like Mies van der Rohe, I.M. Pei, and the like. To me, it's actually pretty easy to look at the different parts and guess what period they were built and how they were influenced by the popular "look" of the day:

Here are some downtown projects on the go here at the moment, representing a pretty broad spectrum of budgets and end users:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Smit View Post
Took this using my android phone sometime last week.

Aura by Agent Smit.., on Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterCopperpot View Post

The former derelict brownfields of City Place have a lot of towers that are built in a very similar style because they were all built within a ten year span. Sure we all wish there was more variety in the architectural styles and the colours of the glass in those new neighbourhoods. But when all is said and done you hope that overall a city will have rich layering of varying architectural and historical styles; not all cities will look the same, but that is what gives every city its own vibe!

nomarandlee, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2015, 05:45 AM   #5772
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

I think Toronto looks pretty good when viewed from the North facing the lake. You see more mid rises and fewer glassy condos which gives it some nice 'layering' and less of a Vancouver vibe.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2015, 06:39 AM   #5773
Taller, Better
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodegavendetta View Post
I think Toronto looks pretty good when viewed from the North facing the lake. You see more mid rises and fewer glassy condos which gives it some nice 'layering' and less of a Vancouver vibe.
Indeed! The area around the lake are the brand new neighbourhoods that have sprung up from the brownfields and old parking lots. They were all built within the same decade and have a lot of similarities. Many people who don't know the city assume that is all there is to architecture in Toronto, which is not the case:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Fair View Post
Another shot from Toronto. Sorry if it's a dupe Toronto Skyline by Giulio Calisse, on Flickr
Quote:
A photo of Toronto taken at midtown and looking south toward downtown along Yonge Street:

http://thejack-condos.ca/

This shot is rarely seen; it is taken from the east side of the Harbourfront and misses the Central Business District altogether:

the shot was taken to the east and looking north over the old St James Church and St Lawrence Hall:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkitexture View Post
Anyhow, enough about Toronto. Rather than derail the thread further I'll let it get back to photos from other North American cities!!
Old July 3rd, 2015, 09:11 AM   #5774
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

San Francisco

PG&E's Cable Laying Barge 6-2015 by Dave R, on Flickr
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2015, 04:12 PM   #5775
DZH22

Quote:
Don't forget, when you live somewhere you pay closer attention to projects and you see that they don't all look alike.
Thank you for the long, detailed response. Of course each individual tower doesn't look exactly alike. Different shades, different indentations, curved/blocky, office glass vs resi glass. It doesn't change the fact that everything you posted to prove your point instead proves mine. It's all still blue glass at the end of the day. (except that podium thing) Much too much of it. A sea of it.

I hear the new tallest proposal (quoted from Chestercopperpot) has already been redesigned and lost the cross-bracing. Is that true?

I see where you are coming from when you talk about building more affordable housing and not just towers for rich people. However, it's always been my contention (and an argument made in my city) that more height should be able to bring more profit, and thus allow a little more of those original costs to be spent on higher quality materials. **The more impact a building will have on our skyline, the better we expect it to look.** All of the crap blends in at a lower level, while the skyline-redefining towers are cognizant of their aesthetic impact.

I also level the same charge at Miami, although that's mostly white painted condos and not blue glass. Basically, they built shoddy looking towers near the same height/size as their best ones (like Wachovia/SWFC and Miami Tower). So the redefining elements were tacky, low quality, and detracted from the overall look of the skyline even while adding an impressive amount of mass.

The last thing I leave you with is that you should reexamine your screen name here, Taller Better. Because you're right, in that Taller SHOULD BE Better. Many cities have lost sight of that. Many haven't, and are now building their tallest (high quality/standout design) towers in years/decades/ever. (San Francisco, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Boston, and Montreal for starters)

1000 glass towers, and yet not one of them is on par with (or can even hold a candle to) the original giant reflecting mirror:

Old July 3rd, 2015, 05:03 PM   #5776
Taller, Better
Administrator

Quote:
I hear the new tallest proposal (quoted from Chestercopperpot) has already been redesigned and lost the cross-bracing. Is that true?
No, hope not to disappoint you but if you are referring to the Norman Foster project you have heard wrong. The latest design is the second last photo (rendering) I posted. The new configuration of cross-bracing is different than the first proposal.

Quote:
It doesn't change the fact that everything you posted to prove your point instead proves mine.
Of course! I would have been surprised if you had received it in any other way. I think we've hashed it out thoroughly and its time to let the thread get back to what it was intended for and that is photos of North American cities.

Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2015, 05:44 PM   #5777
DZH22

Quote:
No, hope not to disappoint you but you have heard wrong. The latest design is the second last photo (rendering) I posted. The new configuration of cross-bracing is different than the first proposal.
I like it, particularly that metallic color that is different than other buildings you see in Toronto. Just don't surround it with 50 smaller, metallic cross-braced clones and you'll be doing OK.

Old July 3rd, 2015, 06:00 PM   #5778
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Jacksonville, Florida

Jacksonville, Florida by Mark Kortum, on Flickr
Old July 4th, 2015, 01:21 PM   #5779
jetmty1

Likes (Received): 2984

little monterrey mx

Last edited by jetmty1; July 4th, 2015 at 01:26 PM.
jetmty1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2015, 05:28 PM   #5780
victor209

Likes (Received): 57

Monterrey looks promising!

victor209 no está en línea   Reply With Quote