daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 11th, 2016, 04:30 AM   #7821
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31804

Boston, MA

onwards by winnie wong, on Flickr
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2016, 04:39 AM   #7822
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31804

Montreal, QC

Fin d'automne à Montréal by Armeline73, on Flickr
Old November 11th, 2016, 04:43 AM   #7823
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

Boston from flickr

NECA 2016 Boston by National Electrical Contractors Association, on Flickr
DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2016, 05:41 AM   #7824
linum

Likes (Received): 658

Does Boston have height restrictions? I was in Boston Nov. last year and it's a wonderful city but it was obvious how 'short' the skyline was?

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
linum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2016, 07:06 AM   #7825
ainvan

Likes (Received): 17082

Vancouver

Lehigh Hanson

Stanley Park View by David Ward, on Flickr
ainvan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2016, 01:46 PM   #7826
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by linum View Post
Does Boston have height restrictions? I was in Boston Nov. last year and it's a wonderful city but it was obvious how 'short' the skyline was?
It has an airport right by downtown, and a strong NIMBY presense that was catered to by the last mayor's (20 year!) administration.

Worth noting that the 3 tallest buildings in the city (all taller than anything in, say, Vancouver or Montreal), as well as 5 out of the top 10 are missing from the above picture.

A new 2nd tallest is under construction, with 2 more 200m+ buildings supposed to start up over the next year.

Boston also currently has 19 buildings over 150m, among the best in North America. Essentially a very solid "supporting cast" of buildings. It won't look so short once there are some new peaks.

By the way, Boston STILL has a taller building than anything in Sydney. (not counting cheating spires) I do realize this is about to change, but it has been true for 40 years.

Old November 11th, 2016, 05:26 PM   #7827
StoJa9
BANNED

Likes (Received): 274

To echo what DZH22 said - there are height restrictions downtown because Logan airport is right across the bay but in the Back Bay area there are none, which is where all the tallest buildings are (and proposed).

StoJa9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2016, 07:46 AM   #7828
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10806

It's worth noting that the 3 cities mentioned (Vancouver, Montreal, and Sydney) all have height restrictions as well. The skylines of those 3 and Boston are all quite comparable although I like Vancouver's the best of the 4.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2016, 06:15 PM   #7829
scarer

Likes (Received): 522

scarer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2016, 08:40 PM   #7830
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
It's worth noting that the 3 cities mentioned (Vancouver, Montreal, and Sydney) all have height restrictions as well. The skylines of those 3 and Boston are all quite comparable although I like Vancouver's the best of the 4.
If things hold up, by 2020 Boston will have 5 buildings taller than anything in Montreal and 6 taller than anything in Vancouver. It's a big if, but the 4th one is about to pop out of the ground and the other 2 should start next year. (with more in the pipeline)

Note that I'm not giving Montreal credit for 1250 as the "taller" building, regardless of the official designation. I consider that Montreal's second tallest. The spire is barely even visible a lot of the time. Also, Four Seasons is 756' and not 755' anyway.

Capture by David Z, on Flickr

But as we all know with skyscrapers, a bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush. No better example of this than 1980's Hartford. Right before the recession hit, it was a monster insurance hub with 4 buildings proposed to go over 700', including 2 over 800'. Big plans don't always come to fruition....

Old November 12th, 2016, 09:40 PM   #7831
ainvan

Likes (Received): 17082

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
If things hold up, by 2020 Boston will have 5 buildings taller than anything in Montreal and 6 taller than anything in Vancouver.
We're honoured that Vancouver is considered as a comparison for Boston, but Vancouver is only a mid-sized city with only 2.4 million people, similar in size to San Antonio and Orlando, while Boston is a large city with 4.8 million people.

Maybe in twenty or thirty years, Vancouver would be in the same alpha league as Boston, but for now, Vancouver doesn't have the economic clout of an alpha city, it's only a beta city

Sydney, Montreal, San Francisco and Boston are in the same league for comparison (4-5 million people).
ainvan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2016, 02:06 AM   #7832
linum

Likes (Received): 658

Quote:
Sydney definitely has a height restriction but Sydney airport is further away from downtown than Logan is..... and Sydney has a tower over 300m too.
linum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2016, 03:24 AM   #7833
isaidso
the new republic

Sydney Tower?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
If things hold up, by 2020 Boston will have 5 buildings taller than anything in Montreal and 6 taller than anything in Vancouver.
Which goes to show that having the tallest doesn't always translate to having the best. I prefer Pittsburgh over Charlotte, for instance. Best is subjective any way.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old November 13th, 2016, 03:35 AM   #7834
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainvan View Post
We're honoured that Vancouver is considered as a comparison for Boston, but Vancouver is only a mid-sized city with only 2.4 million people, similar in size to San Antonio and Orlando, while Boston is a large city with 4.8 million people.

Maybe in twenty or thirty years, Vancouver would be in the same alpha league as Boston, but for now, Vancouver doesn't have the economic clout of an alpha city, it's only a beta city

Sydney, Montreal, San Francisco and Boston are in the same league for comparison (4-5 million people).
I've looked at 1000s of photos of Vancouver over the years but nothing beats seeing it in person. I finally visited last week for the first time. I've been a critic of the sea of glass condos but have to say that Vancouver is, by a considerable margin, the most beautiful city I've ever been to.

I had to search high and low to find something shabby. Walking around the West End in autumn is a treat, Stanley Park a gem, and even in areas further out the neighbourhoods were gorgeous. Everything just seems a little cuter, a little nicer, a little lusher.

Vancouver may not have the economic heft, cultural influence, or energy of other cities yet but is endowed with things one just can't manufacture. When Vancouver grows to 4-5 million it will be hard to compete with imo.

fredcalif liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; November 13th, 2016 at 03:41 AM.
Old November 13th, 2016, 07:32 AM   #7835
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 309

^ Wow, didn't see that one coming...

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2016, 12:54 PM   #7836
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
^ Wow, didn't see that one coming...
I didn't either. Vancouver is too small for me but was impressed nonetheless.

Last edited by isaidso; November 13th, 2016 at 01:01 PM.
Old November 13th, 2016, 06:03 PM   #7837
DZH22

Quote:
Which goes to show that having the tallest doesn't always translate to having the best. I prefer Pittsburgh over Charlotte, for instance. Best is subjective any way.
Pittsburgh's tallest is very close to Charlotte's tallest. It's much easier to ignore 1 taller building than it is to ignore 5-6. Having been to both, Pittsburgh has the better skyline and a substantially better city from an architectural and "bones" standpoint.

Last edited by DZH22; November 13th, 2016 at 10:15 PM.
Old November 13th, 2016, 08:50 PM   #7838
RandomDude01

Likes (Received): 104

Portland Oregon:

techniques1200s, Taller, Better liked this post
RandomDude01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2016, 08:01 PM   #7839
StoJa9
BANNED

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
a bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush
What the hell does that mean....?
StoJa9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2016, 08:27 PM   #7840
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12207

I'd really like to visit Portland one day.