daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 7th, 2012, 09:39 PM   #1181
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasticity View Post
I think it's unfair to a city like Chicago to always play second fiddle to NYC and to some extent, LA. I mean, its nickname is the Second City. Chicago would be the premiere city of ANY country in the world.
With all due respect to Chicago, it would still be the 'second city' in a number of other countries besides the United States. Even in Canada, it would likely take that role despite being larger than Toronto. If Chicago were in Canada, it would have a near impossible challenge wrestling top spot away from Toronto. Toronto is the city Canadians look to, it's where you go to 'make it', its where half the nation's immigrants settle, and where the levers of power lie (Ottawa excluded). Its position is entrenched and growing stronger each passing year.

It would be akin to turning an ocean liner 180 degrees while the captain pushes straight ahead.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; January 7th, 2012 at 09:57 PM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2012, 09:52 PM   #1182
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralcoffin View Post
I think he might be referencing the past five years that have seen the skyline nearly double in terms of tall buildings; right now is a severe lull from the credit crash although there's starting to be a new surge in proposed projects.

That's true. I sincerely hope CHI can experience another boom this decade. Btw I dug up some interesting facts about NY: Since 2001 there have been 108 buildings over 100m completed in NY. Quite a number for an American city.
Old January 7th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #1183
isaidso
the new republic

11/year is pretty good.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old January 7th, 2012, 11:17 PM   #1184
Dralcoffin
Proud Midwesterner

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK999 View Post
That's true. I sincerely hope CHI can experience another boom this decade. Btw I dug up some interesting facts about NY: Since 2001 there have been 108 buildings over 100m completed in NY. Quite a number for an American city.
Chicago is not far behind at 80 buildings meeting that criteria (and 7 under construction). Third place in the States is Miami at 66, but Toronto has completed 78 since 2001, and is building no fewer than 55!

And poor Los Angeles has built six.

Last edited by Dralcoffin; January 7th, 2012 at 11:45 PM.
Dralcoffin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2012, 11:45 PM   #1185
Dralcoffin
Proud Midwesterner

North America's 100+ meter towers completed from 2001 on: 954
United States: 581
New York: 124
Chicago: 80
Miami: 66
Atlanta: 25
Houston: 22
San Francisco: 11
Seattle: 11

Canada: 145
Toronto: 78
Vancouver: 22
Mississauga: 15
Calgary: 11
Rest of Canada: 30

North America's 100+ meter towers under construction: 142
United States: 36
New York: 16
Chicago: 9
Rest of US: 11

Canada: 69
Toronto: 55 (twenty more than all of US)
Mississauga: 6
Rest of Canada: 5

Source: SkyscraperPage diagrams

Last edited by Dralcoffin; January 8th, 2012 at 06:28 AM. Reason: add source
Old January 8th, 2012, 06:13 AM   #1186
Sarcasticity
Lost in the Big Apple

Likes (Received): 106

Wow, 16 is quite low for NYC

Filipino working in NYC
Sarcasticity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 06:27 AM   #1187
Dralcoffin
Proud Midwesterner

Quote:
That number also counts the new World Trade Center as four separate buildings; however New York cleans up in supertall under construction buildings. The main thing I took from that list is that Toronto seems to be a bit of Asia in North America, in that the housing/credit bubble seems to have done nothing to it.
Old January 8th, 2012, 06:30 AM   #1188
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53484

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyboo View Post
Whats the construction boom going on in chicago? i have only noticed 1 or 2 buildings U/C and they wont be impacting the skyline.
There are a lot of high rises planned or under construction right now but not many skyscrapers and just one supertall. The banks have only just begun financing construction projects and mainly just rentals at that. In a year, Chicago should be buzzing.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #1189
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Nice list Dralcoffin, thanks for posting it.

Quote:
Well, better 4 supertalls and 200m+ skyscrapers U/C than some 50 100m+ buildings. Also, 3 towers in the 200m range are currently on hold: 99 Church Str, 56 Leonard Str and 50 West Str. All three are very likely to resume construction this year and the progress will be quite fast, because the foundations are done. Also, another 4 supertalls will begin contruction this year: 432 Park Ave, Tower Verre, Hudson Yards South and North. And from SSP you can get the info that there are dozens of 100m+ buildings either proposed / approved / on hold or already in preparation. All in all it looks very good for NY this year, and generally speaking this decade.

About Toronto: Yeah, the boom is amazing. I read somewhere there are over 130 buildings over 100m U/C and approved for construction. No wonder the skyline looks already so differently when compared to summer 2008 (where I visited Toronto).

Last edited by HK999; January 8th, 2012 at 12:24 PM.
HK999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 03:00 PM   #1190
isaidso
the new republic

This is the data I found for Toronto. I'm not sure if that covers it all. Maybe there are some that are approved, but ground hasn't broken yet.

100-199 m U/C: 47
200-299 m U/C: 8

100-199 m proposals: 72
200-299 m proposals: 6

Total: 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralcoffin View Post
The main thing I took from that list is that Toronto seems to be a bit of Asia in North America, in that the housing/credit bubble seems to have done nothing to it.
Canadian banks are rock solid and never got into those shady sub prime deals that US banks did. The Canadian economy remained remarkable resilient despite of the economic problems facing the US and Europe. In Toronto, construction continued as if nothing had happened.

Last edited by isaidso; January 8th, 2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old January 8th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #1191
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Damn, 55 buildings over 100m U/C in Toronto... if I'm not mistaken that's about the same number (or even more) for HK.

Exciting times for Toronto, that's for sure. I guess Toronto forumers must be pretty busy keeping all the projects updated.

Let's hope the boom continues and brings us some supertalls in a couple of years. I'm planning a visit this decade, so you better have a nice supertall till then!
Old January 8th, 2012, 05:58 PM   #1192
Sarcasticity
Lost in the Big Apple

The numbers for New York seems incorrect.. some are in prep stage still. But nonetheless, it's an exciting time for many Canada and US cities this year

Filipino working in NYC
Old January 8th, 2012, 06:02 PM   #1193
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK999 View Post
Damn, 55 buildings over 100m U/C in Toronto... if I'm not mistaken that's about the same number (or even more) for HK.

Exciting times for Toronto, that's for sure. I guess Toronto forumers must be pretty busy keeping all the projects updated.

Let's hope the boom continues and brings us some supertalls in a couple of years. I'm planning a visit this decade, so you better have a nice supertall till then!
I'm on the Toronto boards almost every day and still have trouble keeping track of everything. There's almost a new announcement every other day. It's to the point that people are getting jaded and buildings that would get loads of attention elsewhere barely register here. With a construction boom 11 years and counting, it's a super tall that most of us covet. We'll try to have 2-3 of them U/C by the time you get here.

Hong Kong has that many U/C? Crap, how are we supposed to catch you if you keep building like that.

Old January 8th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #1194
Sarcasticity
Lost in the Big Apple

Well to be fair, the NYC boards is pretty deserted other than for a few major projects - hence some projects go unnoticed. That's why I always find myself in other boards 'cause they seem to be more busy over there

Filipino working in NYC
Old January 8th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #1195
bennyboo

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
There are a lot of high rises planned or under construction right now but not many skyscrapers and just one supertall. The banks have only just begun financing construction projects and mainly just rentals at that. In a year, Chicago should be buzzing.
there's still a supertall planned? you're not considering post office right?
bennyboo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #1196
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Quote:
Well to be fair, the NYC boards is pretty deserted other than for a few major projects - hence some projects go unnoticed. That's why I always find myself in other boards 'cause they seem to be more busy over there
Well If you have some fancy supertalls on the way, almost nobody gives a crap about a 100m+ building. The exception being the Gem tower, because of its unique facade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I'm on the Toronto boards almost every day and still have trouble keeping track of everything. There's almost a new announcement every other day. It's to the point that people are getting jaded and buildings that would get loads of attention elsewhere barely register here. With a construction boom 11 years and counting, it's a super tall that most of us covet. We'll try to have 2-3 of them U/C by the time you get here.

Hong Kong has that many U/C? Crap, how are we supposed to catch you if you keep building like that.
Wow, 11 years! Do you have a pic before the boom? It would be great for comparison. A link to a thread would do it too.

About HK: There's just no way to keep track of all 100m+ buidlings going up. To save time, I decided only to track 200m+ towers. Thing is, there are many threads about HK towers but with no height figures. Developers sometimes release the final height when a project is finished. But it's pretty safe to say that any tower >35 floors is at least 100m tall.

EDIT: Also, noone cares in HK about some regular residential towers going up like these 4, see green buildings in the pic.

Source

--- (not posting many pics, because this thread ain't about Asian cities lol...) ---

Last edited by HK999; January 8th, 2012 at 08:38 PM.
HK999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 04:45 AM   #1197
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10394

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
That's fair. Chicago's skyscrapers are all concentrated downtown. It makes for a more impressive core, but you don't really encounter other significant nodes like one does in metro Toronto (Mississauga, North York City Centre, Scarborough City Centre, etc.)
This is what I meant, although I guess it all builds upon Chicago's hypercentralized nature which sets it apart from even NYC. It doesn't have a North York Centre or Downtown Brooklyn equivalent outside it's downtown or highrise clusters in general outside the lake. But Chicagoland is vast regardless.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 05:13 AM   #1198
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2111

Boston should come up anywhere from about #6-15 depending on your criteria.

Showin' off the goods

DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 06:49 AM   #1199
MDguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
One of my misgivings of Chicago's skyline...it just dies the further inland you go. It's good when it comes to pics and contrast views but compared to NYC or even Toronto, it's highrises are very concentrated. Once you get past I-90/94, there are barely any.
That's actually one of my favorite parts of Chicago. I dont find an endless sea of ugly condo towers pleasing. I like the concentrated nature of cities without endless seas of ugly. It gives it a much more dramatic look.

MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 08:09 AM   #1200
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10394

Different strokes for different folks.

Boston has a very good skyline with lots of density, but it's big failing is the fact that (IMO) it's Tallest buildings (John Hancock and Prudential) are ugly.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote