daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 2nd, 2012, 06:12 AM   #1301
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10786

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
^ Needs more talls. The Ritz is really the saving grace of that skyline. Looks impressive, but doesn't have the scale of many of the other cities on this thread. (all the residential towers with their high floor counts give off a nice illusion though) Is that twisting 600' tower still going to happen?
I agree with that. Vancouver looks great from most angles, but it needs some large skyscrapers. I still have it in my north American top 10, but only barely. I believe that twisty tower will be built.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2012, 05:32 PM   #1302
Eduardo L. Ramirez

Likes (Received): 908

New York

image hosted on flickr

IMG_0972 - Version 2 by Aussie Browne, on Flickr
Eduardo L. Ramirez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 10:08 PM   #1303
Eduardo L. Ramirez

Toronto

by HungarianSM http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6804464924/
Uploaded with imageshack.us

Boston

by jds56 http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnstudio/6950995295/
Uploaded with imageshack.us

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old March 4th, 2012, 10:16 PM   #1304
dnh310
nahum

Likes (Received): 390

Miami

image hosted on flickr

Miami at Night por kirbsmc, en Flickr

dnh310 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 05:15 AM   #1305
superbigshow1997
what an awesome person.

Likes (Received): 2

Milwaukee skyline vs. Memphis skyline

Ok so recently I saw some photos of memphis and wanted to compare one of my favorite cities with it, Milwaukee. so I found some different photos for you guys to look at and wanted to know your opinion, which city has a more impressive skyline? Love to hear all your comments! (these are not my pix all thanks to the people who took them)

Milwaukee

Memphis

What do you think?

superbigshow1997 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 07:18 AM   #1306
kingchef

Likes (Received): 4

good clarity and definition on milky, one good shot off of hernando-desoto bridge in memphis. obviously, you weren't going for the downtown frontage in memphis, which is about 5.5 miles on the 4 bluffs. pretty buildings of what was shown in milky, but not representative of the business district nor the downtown area. memphis wiki photo is terrible re: clarity and inclusion. 32 story pyramid building and st. jude medical center, harbortown and pinch district in north memphis left out of shot, downtown medical center left out of shot, rivermark building, horizon building, the triple bridges, bluffhaus, and south main district downtown left out.

try bill cobb, urban photos, memphis, and then try new shots by checking collierville photography, downtown aerials, south, north, east, and west. chuck is the photographer. he also has some on memphis forum in photos by chuck, CD. i know these have some new buildings in the portfolio. let us know. kingchef
kingchef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 12:08 AM   #1307
superbigshow1997
what an awesome person.

Ok, I get all that but iw as still wondering which skyline is more impressive?
Old March 6th, 2012, 12:59 AM   #1308
kingchef

Likes (Received): 4

i went back to review what cobb has on urban photos. memphis has several things missing, as most of the shots are from 2005. milky probably has the same situation. however, though memphis has completed some major development in downtown, south forum district, and the river front, i would have to say that some of the shots that i viewed of downtown milky, the promenade, river front, and the obviously new highrises made milky my favorite, for now.

i love memphis's old stock buildings, and i appreciate the preservation of buildings, but memphis needs to promote the cbd and get some corporations and private investors to build some impressive skyscrapers. much of memphis' business district is located in the second core of the city, about 11 miles east of the river. too, there have been huge corporate office parks built, which cover huge amounts of acreage. these are not industrial parks, and they are not inclusive of several corporations. fedex is a massive corporate headquarters, and it has its presence in other places in the city, including the sorting facility at the airport. ups is similar, medtronic, service master, lenox office park, etc. could have easily been large skyscrapers downtown, but they chose to spread to campus-style settings. the same w/ international paper. it built three beautiful buildings in blue glass and steel. two are about 10 stories and one is 11 or 12. it would have been nice to see this building as a highrise/scraper.

memphis needs a real change to its skyline. currently, downtown has construction started, approved, or planned to begin this quarter: 11 story luxury hilton and a 11 story mixed use retail/parking garage. the lst 2 levels will be for retail. the marriot-covention center is due to begin a 160 room addition to the current building. the pyramid is being renovated, and a 7 story hotel will be connected to it. st. jude is beginning a 2nd mirror image of a 3 yr old building, 8 stories, which will be connected by an 8 story atrium.
the renovation of a 21 story downtown medical center building from a closed holiday inn to a extended stay hyatt, the new bio-defense lab is under construction at the downtown baptist research park, along w/ the 4 8 story towers, w/ which the lab will connect. 3 story school of nursing and biotech building for southwest college. 4 story mirror addition to the downtown cancer research building, connected by a large atrium. a 6 story family practice center for the downtown medical center for the u of tn, floor additions to the new va med center hospital, 2 9 story parking garages for the va hospital. 2 additional floors to the college of optometry in midtown. current building of 9 4 story residential housing on the island. completion of the last phase of the riverfront project underway.

memphis does have at least 5 known "on hold" projects for highrises from 22 to as many as 42 stories. 1 beale street is currently overdue by more than 2 years. i have been told that it could be another 5 years to see it begin. who knows? there is a great deal of building, but everything seems to be stuck at 16 stories or less. some say it is because of the euclidian laws memphis proper has imposed, others say it is politics, developers, land speculators, etc. probably a little of all.

i love the old german architecture of milky. it has been a long time since i lived there, and about 10 years since my last visit. i am a native of chicago, so when i visit, i remain in chicago. nevertheless, milky and memphis do have some sections that are very similar, but i have to give the overall to milky. props.
kingchef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 04:44 AM   #1309
superbigshow1997
what an awesome person.

I didnt know that memphis had new developments and proposed ones either which is exciting to me because i would love to see memphis grow. also the same with milwaukee, many new skyscrapers, buildings and differents attractions waiting to be approved and already are some in progress, such as The Moderne, and proposed projects like washington sqaure complex. I hope to learn more about these developments and find new pictures to post to see which skyline is now currently more impressive. personally i love the city of milwaukee i used to live there myself and know how cool and "homey" the city is and personally i love "milkys" skyline. new posts to come tell me what you guys think about these 2 awesome cities!!
Old March 6th, 2012, 06:10 AM   #1310
keck
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Who took the vision a good thing.
keck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 09:51 AM   #1311
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 55237

Sorry! skyline vs skyline discussions are not allowed in the photos forum. I'm going to merge this thread with the "Discuss: Best North American Skyline" thread in the Urban Hall of Fame forum where you can continue your discussion.

Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 02:58 PM   #1312
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
Sorry! skyline vs skyline discussions are not allowed in the photos forum. I'm going to merge this thread with the "Discuss: Best North American Skyline" thread in the Urban Hall of Fame forum where you can continue your discussion.
And..... this would explain why the last 10 posts have been Memphis vs. Milwaukee. Clearly, Milwaukee has the better skyline, but neither of them have any business on this thread (even if you were to extend it to top 25 or 30).

DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 10:59 PM   #1313
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Philly

http://www.nathanielpopkin.net/essays

desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 04:20 AM   #1314
superbigshow1997
what an awesome person.

im gonna say milwaukee becuase in my own opinion i dont love cities that have tons of skyscrapers and everything i like quality class and beauty milwaukee has the all of that.
Old March 8th, 2012, 12:07 PM   #1315
isaidso
the new republic

Montreal

Courtesy of Vince B

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old March 8th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #1316
Eduardo L. Ramirez

Los Angeles

image hosted on flickr

0574 The Angels by SBA John Wiley, on Flickr

San Francisco

image hosted on flickr

State of the City, 2012 by Telstar Logistics, on Flickr

Old March 9th, 2012, 12:45 AM   #1317
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

SF needs some supertalls to make it to the next level.

Old March 9th, 2012, 01:05 AM   #1318
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
SF needs some supertalls to make it to the next level.
One's in the works!

desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 01:14 AM   #1319
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

which one and how tall?

Old March 9th, 2012, 09:00 AM   #1320
isaidso
the new republic

I thought they cancelled Trans Bay?