daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 12th, 2012, 05:05 PM   #1401
Eduardo L. Ramirez

Likes (Received): 911

Very impressive!
I don't like 4 though (looks like a giant chimney next to the ESB on the pic)

San Francisco

image hosted on flickr

SF Skyline by Minabud, on Flickr

L. A.

image hosted on flickr

LA Sunset by Phu Dui, on Flickr
Eduardo L. Ramirez no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 19th, 2012, 11:21 PM   #1402
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

image hosted on flickr

Fire in the Sky | New York City Sunset by MichaelTapp on Flickr
Old April 20th, 2012, 12:04 AM   #1403
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10786

That New York 2030 render is crazy good. New York will likely need to develop like that if it's to remain on its perch globally. In north America it's going to be safe. I can't see any city toppling it skyline wise. Maybe 50 years from now, but nobody else is close right now.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 03:32 AM   #1404
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
That New York 2030 render is crazy good. New York will likely need to develop like that if it's to remain on its perch globally. In north America it's going to be safe. I can't see any city toppling it skyline wise. Maybe 50 years from now, but nobody else is close right now.
In America, its just New York and Chicago which both are part of the big 3 skylines of the world, then every other city in America pales in comparison. When it comes to comparing Chicago and New York its hard for me in a way. New york is more impressive, but I find Chicago more aesthetically pleasing. New York has a lot of buildings, including the magnificent and timeless Chrysler building and ESB, but Chicago has taller buildings, and I am in love with the sears and Trump international. I love new yorks art deco look with a mix of some modern, and I love Chicago's modern look with a mix of some art deco. I guess I am torn between them. They are also both so different and unique, so i just put New York as 1. and Chicago as 1B

Also the comment about every other city paling in comparison just refers to skyline, their are a lot of other places in America that are absolutely beautiful, such as San Francisco.

btw,that 2030 render looks pretty freaking sweet! I love almost all of those buildings, and am hoping the cladding will be good on 432 park. But, its kind of sad to see the ESB looking so small in comparison to the new buildings

Last edited by iloveclassicrock7; April 20th, 2012 at 03:49 AM.
iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 05:29 AM   #1405
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgood View Post
You're right.
Can't see the picture

also. I was thinking, we should find a way to get the USR building from I robot built! image hosted on flickr

Last edited by iloveclassicrock7; April 20th, 2012 at 05:39 AM.
Old April 20th, 2012, 06:42 AM   #1406
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveclassicrock7 View Post
In America, its just New York and Chicago which both are part of the big 3 skylines of the world, then every other city in America pales in comparison.
For me the 'Big 3' are New York, Shanghai, and Hong Kong.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old April 20th, 2012, 07:50 AM   #1407
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
For me the 'Big 3' are New York, Shanghai, and Hong Kong.
delete

Last edited by iloveclassicrock7; April 20th, 2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old April 20th, 2012, 09:57 AM   #1408
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveclassicrock7 View Post
Generally the Big 3 are known as NYC,HK,and CHI.
Been on here and SSP for 5 years and that's the first time I've heard someone suggest their was a consensus on that. Any way, back to skylines.

The Big Smoke

Last edited by isaidso; April 20th, 2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old April 20th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #1409
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Been on here and SSP for 5 years and that's the first time I've heard someone suggest their was a consensus on that. Any way, back to skylines.

The Big Smoke
I guess I have just heard a lot of people say it, but it doesn't really matter. Shanghai has a awesome skyline. Also, thats a great pic of Toronto
Old April 21st, 2012, 12:33 AM   #1410
isaidso
the new republic

It's a great time to be living in Toronto for a skyscraper enthusiast.

Old April 23rd, 2012, 06:16 PM   #1411
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

image hosted on flickr

WTC Rising by Mike McLaughlin Photo on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Sunset on an Empire by coyote86 on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Manhattan - From top of the Rock by KP Tripathi on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Manhattan - From Brooklyn Heights by KP Tripathi on Flickr
Old April 24th, 2012, 01:28 AM   #1412
Eduardo L. Ramirez

Likes (Received): 911

Some nice shots of
San Francisco

image hosted on flickr

San Francisco Skyline by SkylineScenes, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Bay Bridge and the San Francisco Skyline by SkylineScenes, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Bay Bridge and the San Francisco Skyline by SkylineScenes, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

San Francisco Skyline by SkylineScenes, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Downtown San Francisco by SkylineScenes, on Flickr

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Eduardo L. Ramirez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 06:26 AM   #1413
isaidso
the new republic

San Francisco looks much bigger in those shots than the typical photos I've seen here on SSC.

Old April 25th, 2012, 03:37 AM   #1414
Sarcasticity
Lost in the Big Apple

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
San Francisco looks much bigger in those shots than the typical photos I've seen here on SSC.
I was about to say that as well. We usually don't get pictures of SF's skyline this close. It almost look like the buildings are bigger, taller and the skyline denser than it is (?) or maybe older pictures just didn't do SF any justice just like how in certain vantage point, Toronto's skyline also looks "smaller" than how it is in reality

Filipino working in NYC
Sarcasticity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 05:34 AM   #1415
MDguy

Great to see San Francisco finally getting some color in their skyline!

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 05:38 AM   #1416
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:

I don't think there will be a single city that can top what NYC will have in the up coming decades, a few may be in the same running, but NYC will still arguably be the highrise capital.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #1417
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasticity View Post
I was about to say that as well. We usually don't get pictures of SF's skyline this close. It almost look like the buildings are bigger, taller and the skyline denser than it is (?) or maybe older pictures just didn't do SF any justice just like how in certain vantage point, Toronto's skyline also looks "smaller" than how it is in reality
It's likely the angles like you suggest. We don't usually get close up photos of San Francisco's downtown from the air. These 'close up' 45 degree angles downward tend to be the most flattering angles.

Toronto's skyline looks bafflingly 'small' from many angles and just monstrous in others. It truly is a chameleon in that sense. I think a lot of is due to how spread out the core is. The CBD is many blocks from the lake so the perspective from the lake makes the buildings look smaller than they are. Views from the Don Valley have a similar effect. When the East Bayfront, West Don Lands, Southcore, and Midtown build out, the eye won't be fooled quite so easily.

Last edited by isaidso; April 25th, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old April 25th, 2012, 02:45 PM   #1418
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I don't think there will be a single city that can top what NYC will have in the up coming decades, a few may be in the same running, but NYC will still arguably be the highrise capital.
It will be interesting to watch unfold. Personally, I'd prefer to see other cities meet the challenge be it Dubai, Shanghai, Tokyo, or some dark horse like Mumbai. Within north America, the more interesting comparison will be Chicago-Toronto. Despite a 5 year construction boom in Toronto, Chicago is still ahead by a significant margin. Another 10 years of frenetic building and it could get very interesting.

Courtesy of Wikipedia

image hosted on flickr

The New NYC by Neil Ta | I am Bidong, on Flickr

Old April 25th, 2012, 04:35 PM   #1419
Sarcasticity
Lost in the Big Apple

Likes (Received): 106

Yes, I think watching Toronto and Chicago in this decade is more exciting than what NYC has to offer with its supertalls. Both cities are always compared and have arguably the next best skylines. I think its safe to say right at this moment, density-wise Toronto already is way ahead of Chicago, but Chicago still is way ahead in height and it's core still looks more impressive. But Toronto is just experiencing a construction boom that Chicago hasn't have had for a decade.

Filipino working in NYC
Sarcasticity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 05:43 PM   #1420
Dralcoffin
Proud Midwesterner

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasticity View Post
Yes, I think watching Toronto and Chicago in this decade is more exciting than what NYC has to offer with its supertalls. Both cities are always compared and have arguably the next best skylines. I think its safe to say right at this moment, density-wise Toronto already is way ahead of Chicago, but Chicago still is way ahead in height and it's core still looks more impressive. But Toronto is just experiencing a construction boom that Chicago hasn't have had for a decade.
I would agree with this, although Chicago has a vast number of pre-war skyscrapers that Toronto can't match, which is a strong point in Chicago's favor for me, and one of the reasons Chicago still has a large lead on Toronto among my favorite skylines. However, the recession hit Chicago much harder than Toronto, so while I think we'll see another huge boom in Chicago, it won't be until towards the end of the decade.
Dralcoffin no está en línea   Reply With Quote