daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 26th, 2012, 02:08 AM   #1441
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
It's best if you ask someone else next time.
Says the guy from Toronto. Dude, I am not trying to put down your city, its a great city, one of the best to live in, and its got a great skyline, that you should be proud of. But its not on Chicago's level, but it is in the top 10. I can send you links from sources proving what I am saying.

Last edited by iloveclassicrock7; April 26th, 2012 at 02:29 AM.
iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2012, 02:36 AM   #1442
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 563

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveclassicrock7 View Post
Says the guy from Toronto. Dude, I am not trying to put down your city, its a great city, one of the best to live in, and its got a great skyline, that you should be proud of. But its not on Chicago's level. I can send you links from professional sources proving what I am saying.
Good lord man, it's his/her opinion let it go. Toronto's skyline has things to offer that Chicago doesn't, and visa versa. It's an opinion. You guys don't agree, who cares, move on.

Back to topic! I agree on Detroit, sad to see some of those buildings neglected. You've got to think things can only get better for Detroit at this point.

And thanks for the photos on Commerce Court North isaidso, I'd never heard of it! Too bad it doesn't have a prominent spot in the skyline where it's more visible, but definitely looks like a beauty.
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 02:56 AM   #1443
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
Good lord man, it's his/her opinion let it go. Toronto's skyline has things to offer that Chicago doesn't, and visa versa. It's an opinion. You guys don't agree, who cares, move on.

Back to topic! I agree on Detroit, sad to see some of those buildings neglected. You've got to think things can only get better for Detroit at this point.

And thanks for the photos on Commerce Court North isaidso, I'd never heard of it! Too bad it doesn't have a prominent spot in the skyline where it's more visible, but definitely looks like a beauty.
Yeah, your right. Anyways, about Detroit, it used to be a really great city, but it's really fallen over the past decades. I would love to see it rise from the ashes. The buildings it has are great, hopefully it will start to get demand back.

On another note, check out what NYC will look like after 1 WTC finishes [IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by iloveclassicrock7; April 26th, 2012 at 03:45 AM.
Old April 26th, 2012, 04:08 AM   #1444
MDguy

It will look great!

Here's one of my favorite underrated skylines, Kansas City

Photos by Bill Cob at urban-photos.com

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 05:01 AM   #1445
koolio

Likes (Received): 1558

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy View Post
It will look great!

What is this cool building? KC has had a lot of great projects recently. I love Sprint Center too.
Old April 26th, 2012, 05:06 AM   #1446
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

kansas city looks great, another city that has some great architecture is Tulsa, my city. The tallest building in our downtown is a half size version of the world trade center.

The tallest building is the williams tower at 203 m, our next tallest is the cityplex tower, its the gold building. Our population is 400,000, and a million in the metro. So, i would say our skyline is good for our size. We also have some art deco gem's

TULSA
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by iloveclassicrock7; April 26th, 2012 at 05:21 AM.
Old April 26th, 2012, 12:56 PM   #1447
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10970

Quote:

No problem. Before the big bank towers went up in the 1960s it was very prominent on the skyline. Like other cities on the continent, the old beauties slowly became hidden behind taller modern structures. They usually open Commerce Court North up to the public in an annual event called 'Doors Open' aimed at reconnecting Torontonians with their buildings/history. Is there a similar event in New York? If there isn't, there should be.

Detroit. I'd kill to have more buildings like exist there so it's really sad to watch them slowly deteriorate. Maybe the State of Michigan can step in to save some of their gems till long term uses can be found for some of those buildings? They must be saved somehow.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; April 26th, 2012 at 03:50 PM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 01:19 PM   #1448
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDguy View Post

Thanks for posting those. KC has a good stock of quality buildings. Very nice! Is that a train station in the 1st photo?

Speaking of under rated skylines. I'd put Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland in there. The US mid-west is littered with cities with lots of nice pre-war building stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolio View Post
I love Sprint Center too.
One of the world's best arena design firms is based in Kansas City. I believe they designed the Sprint Center. I consider it the best arena on the continent. The new one in Edmonton will probably beat it though.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; April 26th, 2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old April 26th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #1449
isaidso
the new republic

Montreal, PQ

image hosted on flickr

http://www.mtlurb.com/forums/showthr...-Montr%C3%A9al

Source: http://gsmontreal2012.com/shopping

image hosted on flickr

Montreal par twiga_swala sur Flickr.

image hosted on flickr

Montreal par twiga_swala sur Flickr.

Last edited by isaidso; April 26th, 2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old April 26th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #1450
isaidso
the new republic

The 'red' stone building in the middle is often regarded as Canada's first skyscraper. It was built in 1888.

Old April 26th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #1451
Dralcoffin
Proud Midwesterner

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Detroit. I'd kill to have more buildings like exist there so it's really sad to watch them slowly deteriorate. Maybe the State of Michigan can step in to save some of their gems till long term uses can be found for some of those buildings? They must be saved somehow.
Fortunately, just about all of the buildings over about 15 floors are being used, and one of the last vacant skyscrapers (the David Broderick Tower, the taller building on the left edge) is being renovated and will reopen this year as condos. It's the shorter buildings, around ten floors, that are left empty and disappearing. Downtown Detroit is seeing quite a revival; it's the >95% of the city outside of downtown that is bleeding out.

However, right outside of downtown there is a sea of parking lots where low rise neighborhoods are simply gone.

Last edited by Dralcoffin; April 26th, 2012 at 07:16 PM.
Dralcoffin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #1452
yankeesfan1000

Quote:
No problem. Before the big bank towers went up in the 1960s it was very prominent on the skyline. Like other cities on the continent, the old beauties slowly became hidden behind taller modern structures. They usually open Commerce Court North up to the public in an annual event called 'Doors Open' aimed at reconnecting Torontonians with their buildings/history. Is there a similar event in New York? If there isn't, there should be...
That sounds pretty interesting. I'm not aware of anything like that in New York, but most of the more well known buildings have parts that are accessible to the public, like observation decks or lobbies that are at least partially open to the public, like the Woolworth Buildings lobby which is so unbelievably gorgeous, or the Citigroup Center has a public lobby. But I don't think there's anything comparable to that. Sounds like it'd be a must see!
Old April 26th, 2012, 10:27 PM   #1453
Jay

Likes (Received): 1864

While Toronto will certainly put itself ahead into the next category, Chicago is still more than double the size in terms of big skyscrapers. Chicago has 4 ~350 meter+ supertalls, and Toronto has the CN Tower

Toronto needs supertalls before it can be compared to Chicago

But I'm clearly speaking of size, asthetics is a whole other thing and I do like T-dot's skyline very much so.

Last edited by Jay; April 27th, 2012 at 03:09 AM.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 04:15 AM   #1454
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
While Toronto will certainly put itself ahead into the next category, Chicago is still more than double the size in terms of big skyscrapers. Chicago has 4 ~350 meter+ supertalls, and Toronto has the CN Tower

Toronto needs supertalls before it can be compared to Chicago
I was just debating this with I saidso. If your a Chicagoan you should be proud, I was looking around the net, and just about every professional list and poll has Chicago in the top 3 world skylines, and i can't get enough of the sears and Trump international. Regarding Toronto, its got a lot of potential, and the way CN tower dominates everything looks awesome, I could definitely see it moving up if it has a big building boom, I don't see it moving up to Chicago's level, but only God knows, for all I know it may have an insane building boom and move to the very top. I am really hoping Toronto will get some high quality architecture, something like the Sears tower, Empire State building, or petronas tower

I also really wish that the motor city would rise from the ashes. It has a small skyline, but its still a great looking small skyline.

@ Isaidso, i like your pics of Montreal, its got a nice skyline! Also, I hope there aren't any hard feelings, i am a competitive person, especially when it comes to proving a point!

Last edited by iloveclassicrock7; April 27th, 2012 at 04:32 AM.
Old April 27th, 2012, 09:11 AM   #1455
isaidso
the new republic

No problem. It just felt like you were more interested in proving me wrong than listening to my explanation. I don't mind vigorous arguments as long as people avoid insults and accept that some things don't have a right answer. People can put Anchorage in #1 if they want.

Toronto is in year 6 of a construction boom so it's natural that skyline comparisons are going to be made with the city on the next rung up. For Toronto that's Chicago. That these are both Great Lakes cities makes the comparisons all the more predictable.

I should add that it's usually only in terms of skyline and population that Torontonians make comparisons to Chicago. As Canada's alpha city and biggest metropolis, Torontonians look to other primary cities of countries: New York, Mexico City, Madrid, Seoul, Sydney, Paris, Tokyo, Sao Paulo, Moscow, London, Istanbul, Singapore, etc. No offense intended, but Chicago usually doesn't enter the conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralcoffin View Post
Fortunately, just about all of the buildings over about 15 floors are being used, and one of the last vacant skyscrapers (the David Broderick Tower, the taller building on the left edge) is being renovated and will reopen this year as condos. It's the shorter buildings, around ten floors, that are left empty and disappearing. Downtown Detroit is seeing quite a revival; it's the >95% of the city outside of downtown that is bleeding out.

However, right outside of downtown there is a sea of parking lots where low rise neighborhoods are simply gone.
That's some good news at least.

Quote:
That sounds pretty interesting. I'm not aware of anything like that in New York, but most of the more well known buildings have parts that are accessible to the public, like observation decks or lobbies that are at least partially open to the public, like the Woolworth Buildings lobby which is so unbelievably gorgeous, or the Citigroup Center has a public lobby. But I don't think there's anything comparable to that. Sounds like it'd be a must see!
Doors Open Toronto is now in its 12th year. It's been a big success with the public and has done wonders for civic pride in the city. This year's event is March 26th & 27th. There are usually about 150 buildings of historic, architectural, social, or cultural interest opened up and staffed with guides.

Last edited by isaidso; April 27th, 2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old April 27th, 2012, 05:37 PM   #1456
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
No problem. It just felt like you were more interested in proving me wrong than listening to my explanation. I don't mind vigorous arguments as long as people avoid insults and accept that some things don't have a right answer. People can put Anchorage in #1 if they want.

Toronto is in year 6 of a construction boom so it's natural that skyline comparisons are going to be made with the city on the next rung up. For Toronto that's Chicago. That these are both Great Lakes cities makes the comparisons all the more predictable.

I should add that it's usually only in terms of skyline and population that Torontonians make comparisons to Chicago. As Canada's alpha city and biggest metropolis, Torontonians look to other primary cities of countries: New York, Mexico City, Madrid, Seoul, Sydney, Paris, Tokyo, Sao Paulo, Moscow, London, Istanbul, Singapore, etc. No offense intended, but Chicago usually doesn't enter the conversation.

That's some good news at least.

Doors Open Toronto is now in its 12th year. It's been a big success with the public and has done wonders for civic pride in the city. This year's event is March 26th & 27th. There are usually about 150 buildings of historic, architectural, social, or cultural interest opened up and staffed with guides.
Actually Chicago is higher up on the Global City List - It is considered an alpha+ city,

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/gawc/world2010t.html

and has the 3rd highest GDP in the world, above London

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/job...ld/109/#slide4

Its also ranked as the 4th most powerful economic city. Toronto is 12# on the list

EDIT - Just realized my city,Tulsa, is on the sufficiency list, I guess thats something

Last edited by iloveclassicrock7; April 27th, 2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old April 27th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #1457
Dralcoffin
Proud Midwesterner

Likes (Received): 25

But Chicago also is in a deep, deep shadow that Toronto isn't -- New York. Toronto gets to be the dominant player in a G-8 economy that Chicago does not get to enjoy. That no doubt has powerful effects in influence, investment, and perception.
Dralcoffin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 08:59 PM   #1458
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralcoffin View Post
But Chicago also is in a deep, deep shadow that Toronto isn't -- New York. Toronto gets to be the dominant player in a G-8 economy that Chicago does not get to enjoy. That no doubt has powerful effects in influence, investment, and perception.
Right, But if you have one of the top 3 GDP's in the world then you part of the elite and are world class. money=power, and is what matters, money is what speaks. Its also very known for some bad things like Al Capone, and the Klu Klux Klan movement. Everyone is able to have an opinion, but when you look at it Chicago is an Alpha+ City, and Toronto is an alpha city, Chicago shouldn't try to be a NYC, and Toronto shouldn't try to be a Hong Kong,Chicago, or Shanghai. Its not like it makes one city better, its just who's more powerful. Speaking of the shadow, America is the most powerful country in the world. NYC isn't the only known city in America. Their is Chicago and New York which are the the economic mega cities of America - Chicago is the transportation hub and center for top companies, NYC is wall street our economic center, then there is LA which is the film industry of America.
Old April 28th, 2012, 01:53 AM   #1459
yankeesfan1000

This is getting really close to a city v city...

But, just in your last post ilcr I think you're forgetting about LA which has the third largest GDP in the world, and the second largest in the US. Chicago has the third largest in the US and fourth largest in the world. And those US GDP rankings are very cemented with huge percentage gaps between each of them. In fear of starting a rabid city v city I'll just post the link and not the actual statistics. Just wanted to make sure you didn't forget about LA!

But skyline's are not always indicative of economic might, which I think is the point you were making though, please correct me if I'm wrong though. It's definitely an interesting correlation, but I think it's more a combination of economic output, history, and geography all thrown in together.

Edit: I should probably explain that Space Shuttles don't usually fly into NY on the back of a NASA 747, it's being flown in to be shown temporarily at the Intrepid Air and Space Museum until this is built across the street where it'll be housed permanently:

Source

How about some photos?

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

All photos courtesy of NASA

Last edited by yankeesfan1000; April 28th, 2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old April 28th, 2012, 02:05 AM   #1460
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
This is getting really close to a city v city...

But, just in your last post ilcr I think you're forgetting about LA which has the third largest GDP in the world, and the second largest in the US. Chicago has the third largest in the US and fourth largest in the world. And those US GDP rankings are very cemented with huge percentage gaps between each of them. In fear of starting a rabid city v city I'll just post the link and not the actual statistics. Just wanted to make sure you didn't forget about LA!

But skyline's are not always indicative of economic might, which I think is the point you were making though, please correct me if I'm wrong though. It's definitely an interesting correlation, but I think it's more a combination of economic output, history, and geography all thrown in together.

All photos courtesy of NASA
First off, those pictures are amazing, I can't wait to see that view once 1 WTC is finished. It will be absolutely astonishing.

Also whenever i said GDP, i mentioned the wrong figure, I was trying to say economic output, which Chicago has the 3rd highest. On this list, its the 4th most powerful city in the world, but has the 3rd highest economic output http://www.theatlanticcities.com/job...ld/109/#slide3

Last edited by iloveclassicrock7; April 28th, 2012 at 03:42 AM.