daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 18th, 2012, 11:30 PM   #1601
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I love these ones. Shots half way up a skyscraper give a wonderful sense of verticality while still relating well to the ground. They usually make the most impressive city shots as you get a sense of both the skyline and the street. What Manhattan does better than any other is give one the sense of the never ending city. The straightness of the streets, and the canyon effect that seems to end in a blur makes one feel like you're in a city that just goes on forever.

I think Yonge Street in Toronto looking south from Bloor might end up with that same effect once it builds out. Bay would do the same, but it jogs east at Queen. University Avenue is bookended at College. Jarvis? That one could, but is bookended at Bloor.
Looks like you beat me to it. I was going to mention how great these two photos were too.

Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2012, 01:21 AM   #1602
Sarcasticity
Lost in the Big Apple

Likes (Received): 106

Manhattan's grid pattern gives it its canyon-appearance. One advantage Manhattan has is that these canyons can be viewed almost at any direction.

No doubt Toronto will have the same canyons when all those u/c buildings get done. Toronto's grid pattern is similar to New York that's why it's usually a stand in for NYC in movies.

Filipino working in NYC
Sarcasticity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 06:52 AM   #1603
GenericUser

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveclassicrock7 View Post
I love the CN tower, but the height of it makes the rest of the skyline look so small. Even if Toronto ever gets a building in the 300m+ range, the CN tower sort of cancels it out.

For example, without the CN tower, a 400m building would top the skyline, and make it look incredible. But with the CN tower, a 400m building would just look like an nice addition.

It is kind of hard to explain what I am trying to say, but because of this I have a bit of a love hate relationship with the CN tower. Nevertheless, it still adds a lot to the skyline, and Toronto easily makes my top 10.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Though, to be fair, a 400m building would actually be slightly higher than the big pod of the CN tower. The problem is that such a building would probably be built further back where the main cluster is with that bigger white building. This gives the illusion that the CN tower is even taller than it really is.
GenericUser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #1604
VitMos

Likes (Received): 1646

NYC
Chicago
Toronto
Vancouver
L.A.
Seattle
San Francisco
Philidelphia
Miami
Houston
VitMos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #1605
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Rare angle...

image hosted on flickr

Ring a Ring o' Roses Session Formation in Progress by mheidelberger2000 on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Infinite vertical possibilities by i. duke on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Empire State by i. duke on Flickr
Old June 19th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #1606
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenericUser View Post
I couldn't have said it better myself. Though, to be fair, a 400m building would actually be slightly higher than the big pod of the CN tower. The problem is that such a building would probably be built further back where the main cluster is with that bigger white building. This gives the illusion that the CN tower is even taller than it really is.
That is true, but the rest of the tower is so wide that it adds visual height just about all the way up, and the final pod and highest floor on the CN tower is also at 447 meters. They really need a building to break that barrier, but I don't really see a 600m building being built in Toronto within the next 50 years, especially since they don't have 300m building yet.

@HK999 - The ESB is starting to look pretty old, and it looks like it also needs new windows.

Last edited by iloveclassicrock7; June 19th, 2012 at 08:33 PM.
iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 04:17 AM   #1607
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10788

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasticity View Post
Manhattan's grid pattern gives it its canyon-appearance. One advantage Manhattan has is that these canyons can be viewed almost at any direction.

No doubt Toronto will have the same canyons when all those u/c buildings get done. Toronto's grid pattern is similar to New York that's why it's usually a stand in for NYC in movies.
Toronto does have a typical north American grid, but many of the streets veer off after 10-15 blocks then go straight again. Others terminate after 10-15 blocks. The only downtown street that stays straight for 30+ blocks and doesn't terminate is Yonge.

Some of the east-west streets are straight for a long time, but our skyline is north-south so those endless city vistas aren't realized due to these streets being mostly low rise.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #1608
VitMos

Likes (Received): 1646

New York so beautiful. the best skyline on a planet
VitMos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 02:12 AM   #1609
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

One of my favorite cities, and skylines in NA.

http://iflyattas.com/wphome/?page_id=220

[IMG]http://images.*******************/images-medium-large/1-boathouse-row-philadelphia-pa-skyline-aerial-photograph-duncan-pearson.jpg[/IMG]
http://*******************/featured/1...n-pearson.html

But few cities can compete with this...

http://timsklyarov.com/new-york-city-aerial/#more-1351

One more...

http://hisblog.ryanandheidi.com/

Last edited by yankeesfan1000; June 21st, 2012 at 02:17 AM.
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 07:00 AM   #1610
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
But few cities can compete with this...
I don't think any can. It's #1.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old June 21st, 2012, 07:21 AM   #1611
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I don't think any can. It's #1.
It is #1 or #2 in my book. Before 1 wtc it only had 1 true 300m+ building, but after this building boom it will have tons of 300m buildings.
Old June 21st, 2012, 04:46 PM   #1612
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

By the end of the summer it'll probably be #1. 1, 4 WTC, and One57 topping out. Then we'll get to watch Hudson Yards South start in October, and 105 57th, among others hopefully, and certainly others I'm forgetting.

ilovecr7, I know you prefer Chicago, which is perfectly fine, you see yourself putting NY as #1 anytime soon? Just curious.
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 06:29 PM   #1613
Eduardo L. Ramirez

Likes (Received): 911

Quote:
One of my favorite cities, and skylines in NA.

[IMG]http://images.*******************/images-medium-large/1-boathouse-row-philadelphia-pa-skyline-aerial-photograph-duncan-pearson.jpg[/IMG]
http://*******************/featured/1...n-pearson.html
Great pic, Philly looks almost like NYC
Eduardo L. Ramirez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 03:16 PM   #1614
MelboyPete
Proud Melbournian

Likes (Received): 195

NYC - in a league of its own followed by Chicago & Toronto (both amazing).
MelboyPete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 11:54 PM   #1615
Sarcasticity
Lost in the Big Apple

Likes (Received): 106

Philly's skyline, while one of my favorites, is pretty small for its size.

I didn't realize how built up New York is. It would be crazy if Manhattans skyline was contiguous from Midtown to Downtown

Filipino working in NYC
Sarcasticity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 12:18 AM   #1616
nebunul
Basarabia e Romania

Likes (Received): 476

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinterriket View Post

Timpul pentru Unire niciodată nu va veni de la sine, dacă nu-l vom face şi aduce fiecare dintre noi, cei care ne dorim Unirea cu adevărat.
“DACĂ VISUL UNORA A FOST SĂ AJUNGĂ ÎN COSMOS, EU VIAŢA ÎNTREAGĂ AM VISAT SĂ TREC PRUTUL” (GRIGORE VIERU)
nebunul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 07:28 AM   #1617
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelboyPete View Post
NYC - in a league of its own followed by Chicago & Toronto (both amazing).
That's spot on how I see it as well.

Old June 23rd, 2012, 09:43 AM   #1618
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Quote:

By the end of the summer it'll probably be #1. 1, 4 WTC, and One57 topping out. Then we'll get to watch Hudson Yards South start in October, and 105 57th, among others hopefully, and certainly others I'm forgetting.

ilovecr7, I know you prefer Chicago, which is perfectly fine, you see yourself putting NY as #1 anytime soon? Just curious.
I actually go back and forth between having NY or CHI as 1. Chicago has an extremely long skyline, but needs more density and width, but I absolutely love Chicago's architecture, it has so much style to it. NYC doesn't have as long of a skyline as Chicago, but it easily makes up for it with the insane density and overall massiveness, and dominates in size in every other area. I love NYC's art deco buildings, but I prefer Chicago's architecture, and overall variation and mix of buildings. With that said, I go back and forth all the time. I am going to wait and see what 1 WTC looks like finished.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 05:31 PM   #1619
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

I want to see an updated version of this...

image hosted on flickr

Joes NYC
Old June 25th, 2012, 08:09 AM   #1620
isaidso
the new republic

Hogtown

Original by Bastian

Courtesy of Mike Crisolago

Last edited by isaidso; June 25th, 2012 at 10:38 AM.