daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 25th, 2006, 04:26 AM   #161
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17797

1. New York

With Chicago in 2nd place.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2006, 05:01 AM   #162
Quickdraw
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Well I gotta go wit Chicago, they invented this steel building skyscraper sh-t that they even do in NY so there it goes. You cant duplicate or fake being them. Plus CHI has 3 buildings in the top 20 of the World's Tallest while the ESB is NY's only building in the Top 20. In fact if you narrow it and to just North America Chicago has 6 in the top 10, NY has 2. You do the math, thats 2/3. Its not which skyline is in the most movies its bout substance and a clean look and Chicago looks cleaner less junkier than Manhattan. NY is real stuffed and nothing really sticks out cuz it looks like a big booooggggg. Other than NY and CHI I dunno cuz those are the only cities I am aware of to have 1,000+ skyscrapers, and thats not even counting the smaller high rises. But compare panoramas, (I dunno if they have been post since I havent read past page 4) Chicago might be longer than NY's. Plus the Loop is only like 50% of Downtown Chicago and maybe less than 50% of the total skyline that stretches for miles and you'd need to combine (Lower) Downtown Manhattan wit Midtown for Lower Manhattan to be bigger than The Loop. Thats just the facts on the ground I guess.

Zefire liked this post
Quickdraw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 05:02 AM   #163
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2571

Chicago's skyline is very impressive but is certainly not better than New York. Chicago, though has a impressive layout and collection of skyscrapers, it does not have the density that New York has. New York has more skyscrapers than Chicago and also a great collection of individual buildings as well. New York has the iconic classics such as The Empire State building, which is considered by many as the greatest skyscraper ever, The Chrysler building, Rockefeller Centre and many more. New York has a the classic from every period whether Art Deco or Post Modern.

New York deserves no.1, Chicago 2 and Toronto 3

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 05:06 AM   #164
Jules

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw
you'd need to combine (Lower) Downtown Manhattan wit Midtown for Lower Manhattan to be bigger than The Loop. Thats just the facts on the ground I guess.
What the **** are you babbling about? Midtown is far larger than the Loop, you should get your facts straight.
Jules no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 05:06 AM   #165
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Well I gotta go wit Chicago, they invented this steel building skyscraper sh-t that they even do in NY so there it goes. You cant duplicate or fake being them. Plus CHI has 3 buildings in the top 20 of the World's Tallest while the ESB is NY's only building in the Top 20. In fact if you narrow it and to just North America Chicago has 6 in the top 10, NY has 2. You do the math, thats 2/3. Its not which skyline is in the most movies its bout substance and a clean look and Chicago looks cleaner less junkier than Manhattan. NY is real stuffed and nothing really sticks out cuz it looks like a big booooggggg. Other than NY and CHI I dunno cuz those are the only cities I am aware of to have 1,000+ skyscrapers, and thats not even counting the smaller high rises. But compare panoramas, (I dunno if they have been post since I havent read past page 4) Chicago might be longer than NY's. Plus the Loop is only like 50% of Downtown Chicago and maybe less than 50% of the total skyline that stretches for miles and you'd need to combine (Lower) Downtown Manhattan wit Midtown for Lower Manhattan to be bigger than The Loop. Thats just the facts on the ground I guess.
Are you sure about New York has only one on the top 20? Have you heard of Chrysler, Rockefeller Centre or The Citicorp Centre?

Old January 25th, 2006, 05:16 AM   #166
Jules

^He's right about that, ESB is the only NY building in the top 20. Chrysler is 21, Citicorp and Rockefeller are way farther down.
Old January 25th, 2006, 05:24 AM   #167
Quickdraw
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjoeda
Acctualy Toronto has 1,634 skyscrapers and Chicago only has 1,048. That means Toronto has 586 more skyscrapers.

Also Toronto skyscraper development is much more active then. Chicago has 81 proposed, 41 approved and 32 under construction; while Toronto has 206 proposed,88 approved and 59 under construction.

Also Toronto has the tallest building in the world, the CN Tower. It may not be a skyscraper but its still a marvel of engineering.

You see how its really no.2. NYC is the clear winner with 5,474 skyscrapers and then its Toronto with 1,634. IMO Toronto's skyline is more impressive than Chicago.
Im not saying a lot Canadians are dumb but mayyybe jsut hella corny and stuck in a fantasy world. Chicago's skyline is so big half the people in its city have never seen the ENTIRE thing. And I doubt you have either since you speak this garbage madness. Seriously, you should get banned for this dumb sh-t. I wont tell you Ill show you.

Puff your last one, put the blunt down. Raise your r-i-g-h-t hand and put it on your mouse, now pull your mouse to the link, press your finger down on the command to open the link. Now put your mouse on the right arrow on the bottom right side of your screen and click to till you get to the end of the pic.

Zefire liked this post
Old January 25th, 2006, 05:26 AM   #168
Quickdraw
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP1
What the **** are you babbling about? Midtown is far larger than the Loop, you should get your facts straight.
I said add Midtown to Lower Manhattan because Lowe Manhattan by itself is not larger than The Loop. I didnt say the Loop was bigger than Midtown. Dont join a website if your ignorant ******* ass cant read boy.

Zefire liked this post
Old January 25th, 2006, 05:40 AM   #169
Jules

Quote:
I said add Midtown to Lower Manhattan because Lowe Manhattan by itself is not larger than The Loop. I didnt say the Loop was bigger than Midtown. Dont join a website if your ignorant ******* ass cant read boy.
Umm no you never said that. You said add Lower Manhattan and Midtown Manhattan, and addition is commutative meaning that the opposite of that is also true, thus you need to clarify. Apparently you're the ignorant ******* ass that can't read what you yourself wrote.

You're the reason why Chicago's schools are so looked down upon.

Last edited by Jules; January 25th, 2006 at 06:27 AM.
Old January 25th, 2006, 05:41 AM   #170
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP1
^He's right about that, ESB is the only NY building in the top 20. Chrysler is 21, Citicorp and Rockefeller are way farther down.
The number of supertalls built in Asia over the past years pulled down Chrysler's position on the top 20!

Anyway, Chicago may have developed the skyscraper but New York defined the skyline. It may sound silly but other skyline cities are always reffered to New York. Like LA being called New York West, Sao Paulo as New York of Latin America, Hong Kong as New York of The East and Frankfurt as Mainhattan

Old January 25th, 2006, 05:44 AM   #171
Jules

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH
The number of supertalls built in Asia over the past years pulled down Chrysler's position on the top 20!

Anyway, Chicago may have developed the skyscraper but New York defined the skyline. It may sound silly but other skyline cities are always reffered to New York. Like LA being called New York West, Sao Paulo as New York of Latin America, Hong Kong as New York of The East and Frankfurt as Mainhattan
That may be true, but LA isn't called New York West due to its skyline.
Old January 25th, 2006, 05:51 AM   #172
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP1
That may be true, but LA isn't called New York West due to its skyline.
I got that LA info from whatelse, Emporis

City Hall, tallest building from the day it opened, lost that claim when a city ordinance, forbidding buildings over 150 feet high (due to earthquake threat), was lifted. Today, with engineering having come a long way, the skyline has been transformed into a kind of New York West. Time will tell if the "new" L.A. can really withstand the rigors of an 8.5 quake. Until then, L.A. is a vibrant city fresh with the spirit of optimism and loads of sunshine. Itís like no place on earth.

Old January 25th, 2006, 05:56 AM   #173
Jules

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH
I got that LA info from whatelse, Emporis

City Hall, tallest building from the day it opened, lost that claim when a city ordinance, forbidding buildings over 150 feet high (due to earthquake threat), was lifted. Today, with engineering having come a long way, the skyline has been transformed into a kind of New York West. Time will tell if the "new" L.A. can really withstand the rigors of an 8.5 quake. Until then, L.A. is a vibrant city fresh with the spirit of optimism and loads of sunshine. Itís like no place on earth.
That comes as a surprise. I was assuming it had something to do with mass media, movie production, something of that sort. When I think of LA NY comparisons I'm not thinking skyline. Oh well, you learn something new everyday I guess.
Old January 25th, 2006, 06:07 AM   #174
pottebaum
Minneapolis

Likes (Received): 4

Oh for God's sake Quickdraw......You're not helping Chicago with all this crap. Just settle down, all right?

Last edited by pottebaum; January 25th, 2006 at 06:13 AM.
pottebaum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 07:16 AM   #175
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP1
That comes as a surprise. I was assuming it had something to do with mass media, movie production, something of that sort. When I think of LA NY comparisons I'm not thinking skyline. Oh well, you learn something new everyday I guess.
LA though has the tallest building in the West Coast!

Old January 25th, 2006, 07:33 AM   #176
neilio
lolwut

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perth4life3
sorry but Torontos is not top 2 !! and im not a troll either !! look at it !! a few 250m plus buildings then the rest between 100m and 200m!!! Both NY and Chicago have many more over 200m im pretty sure !!

my list :P

1. New York (so dense)
2. Chicago (just mind blowing)
3. Toronto/Seattle
4. L.A (love the limited but tall scrapers)
5. Philadelphia
yaay the Troll is back!!! Damn i missed you, i use to spend countless hours laughing at your posts
Old January 25th, 2006, 07:37 AM   #177
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Toronto is worth getting no.3 because of the no. of skyscrapers, height and quality.

San Francisco on the other hand has a very impressive skyline and individual scrapers. It's tallest buildings like The Transamerica Pyramid are iconic. Alot of people back then looked at San Francisco as the next skyscraper capital equaling that of New York and Chicago. Even fictional movies like The Towering Inferno had the world's tallest building right in The Bay!

Old January 25th, 2006, 07:40 AM   #178
neilio
lolwut

Likes (Received): 34

by popular vote...1.NY 2.CHI 3.T.O

my list

1. T.O
2.CHI
3.NY

i am so backwards....
Old January 25th, 2006, 07:41 AM   #179
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilio
by popular vote...1.NY 2.CHI 3.T.O

my list

1. T.O
2.CHI
3.NY

i am so backwards....
Oh brother!

Old January 25th, 2006, 04:36 PM   #180
O.G. Gnarkill

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilio

i am so backwards....
No shit, Sherlock!!
O.G. Gnarkill no está en línea   Reply With Quote