daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers > Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 26th, 2017, 09:04 PM   #21
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 2528

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
Okay, my admiration for this project and Gilbert is much lessened by the "need" for a tax abatement to make it happen. If Gilbert had a real altruistic streak in him, he'd be willing to contribute to the city's development and its fiscal situation by paying the taxes anyone with a lesser development proposal and less-prominent public image would have to.
This looks like an extremely expensive project to build. Rents would need to be (guessing) in the $4-5 range per square foot for the housing, even with "free" land. Some of that would be to support the affordable units. It would be tough to pencil in my expensive city, and it's quite a bet in Detroit.

Therefore it's a huge bet, and he's likely to lose money. He might even be planning to lose money, out of altruism/legacy (??) or using this as a loss-leader to continue the Downtown revitalization relative to his properties and overall.

He could have a good case about this project helping increase the value of other properties and drawing people to the city, and therefore helping the City's tax base more than the value of the abatement.

I'm not totally sold on the abatement or using public funds but am trending toward being in favor in this case. Not that my opinion matters.
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2017, 12:52 AM   #22
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1024

Fair points, but a lot of hypotheticals. I'm just aware of far too many projects of every kind that receive tax abatements without doing what they're hypothetically supposed to do in exchange. Providing those incentives for a project that could be, theoretically, very lucrative is a big gamble for any municipality, never mind one as desperate and destitute as Detroit.

Sure, you could argue that Gilbert's in the same boat--who seriously thinks that it isn't a risk to build a new 50-floor building in downtown Detroit?--but that's his risk to take. He's an entrepreneur; the city isn't.

I just don't like seeing effusive praise heaped on entities who do what they they're supposed to do and need goading to do it.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2017, 07:46 AM   #23
fajar shidq

Likes (Received): 4

a glassy one
fajar shidq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 09:20 PM   #24
Yackemflaber68

Likes (Received): 180

I can't believe this is real. Good for you Detroit.
Yackemflaber68 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 06:51 PM   #25
hotwheels123

Likes (Received): 316

Former Hudson's Site to Become Home to Detroit's Tallest Building
Quote:
Plans are now underway to redevelop the former Hudson's Site in downtown Detroit into what will become the tallest structure in the city, a slate of new renderings and additional information about the project have come forward from developers Bedrock and Rock Ventures displaying the design from NYC-based SHoP Architects and Detroit-based Hamilton Anderson Associates, who will be working together on the project.
hotwheels123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 09:35 PM   #26
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28159

Pretty cool and modern.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2017, 12:15 AM   #27
Future_Architect09

Likes (Received): 38

As I posted in another thread, I'm really excited to see this thing rise. Hopefully there will be more skyscrapers of this height (and maybe even taller. I still hold out hope for a supertall one day) being built soon. Detroit could really use some new additions to the skyline.
Future_Architect09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2017, 02:07 AM   #28
Anday

Likes (Received): 1016

Hudson's site project swells by $125M — and gets taller

Quote:
Jozef Guziewicz, vice president of construction for Gilbert's Bedrock LLC, said the residential tower is now planned to be above 800 feet,

enrigue8 liked this post
Anday no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2017, 02:21 AM   #29
nothatso

Likes (Received): 265

It's nice that they raised the height, but I don't think the design of the base is nearly as cool looking as the previous designs. I'm disappointed they decided to go in a more generic direction.
nothatso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2017, 06:38 AM   #30
enrigue8
BANNED

Likes (Received): 709

It's still a beautiful proposal .
enrigue8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2017, 06:23 AM   #31
msquaredb

Likes (Received): 354

Wow I actually think this is a huge improvement.

The EDM Student
msquaredb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2017, 04:26 AM   #32
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Shame.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2017, 04:47 AM   #33
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10268

To me this is a great improvement. Just 184 more feet please!

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)

Lmichigan, enrigue8 liked this post
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2017, 05:13 AM   #34
urbanlover
Living for the city

Likes (Received): 114

Lofty goals: Detroit breaks ground Friday on city's tallest skyscraper

Quote:
Memories of the historic Hudson's store will mingle with hopes for the future Friday as Detroit breaks ground on what promises to be the city's tallest skyscraper.

Businessman Dan Gilbert and Mayor Mike Duggan will headline the groundbreaking event at the site on Woodward Avenue where the 800-foot tall, $900-million mixed-use building will rise and where the old Hudson's store stood for decades.

The new project remains unnamed at this point, referred to simply as the Hudson's site for now.

It's been a long time coming. The vacant Hudson's store, focus of so many memories for long-time Detroiters of Thanksgiving Day parades and Christmas shopping, crashed down in a mountainous cloud of dust and ash in 1998 when it was finally imploded.
http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...per/888169001/

phoenixboi08, kanye liked this post
urbanlover no está en línea   Reply With Quote