daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 2nd, 2007, 01:37 AM   #301
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Memories of VH & Anger

Wow, I cannot believe they will actually tear down the clock tower and pier. I was just there this past summer during the nighttime...

It was so peaceful, with the pier's lights glowing gently and the harbor's waters lapping gently onto the wall. I remember feeling the night breeze blowing in and bringing a comfortable feeling unlike Hong Kong's daytime humidity. I remember seeing many young and old, locals and visitors, people and birds, strolling. I saw some holding hands, others taking pictures of the harbor and skyline. I recall seeing the Star Ferry traversing old Victoria Harbour, traveling the same path it did when I took my first ride. The memories...are so wonderful.

And now, those memories are being crushed by developers and big business, wanting to fill their pockets with more and more cash. The government and judges are not showing any sympathies towards Hong Kong's life giver and protector, nature's Victoria Harbour. They will not stop until one day there will be no need for a Cross-Harbour Tunnel or the MTR or any boats at all. For one day, the people of Hong Kong will literally be "united"; no more conservationists' groups, no more Save the Harbour foundations. Because one day I will be able to walk across from Hong Kong to Kowloon. Then, will everyone have nothing else to argue about-no more protests, no more hatred.
Only for that one day. Then, we will start regretting and hating and protesting on how we failed Mother Earth by reclaiming all of that land.

Save Hong Kong's Victoria Harbour from demolition. Because you might wake up one day and find it is too late.

~Hopefully this will change the government's hearts, hearing a cry like this from someone who wasn't even born in HK, trying to save it.~

Last edited by herenthere; January 2nd, 2007 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Title
herenthere no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2007, 10:17 AM   #302
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17802

The local heritage and preservation movements seems to have taken off quite dramatically over the past few years. Sadly, much of the colonial architecture that adorned the waterfront has already disappeared. What remains are the less beautiful buildings such as the old Star Ferry clock tower and Queen's Pier. I believe focus isn't as much on the architectural merit, but rather the collective and historic memory these buildings have on the people. But protest groups seem to lump these two together to generate as much publicity for their cause.

Keep in mind that the reclamation plans do not allow significant commercial constructions. In fact, the Central-Wanchai reclamation has very minimal developer interest because of the parkland plan (vs. Kai Tak and West Kowloon). On the other hand, the whole project seemed to have materialized because of a traffic need rather than a waterfront beautification objective. The latter was likely added on to appeal to the public interest instead.

Things are not that pessimistic. There are still a lot of Chinese-style villages in the New Territories with over a century of history.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 04:21 AM   #303
raymond_tung88

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
The local heritage and preservation movements seems to have taken off quite dramatically over the past few years. Sadly, much of the colonial architecture that adorned the waterfront has already disappeared. What remains are the less beautiful buildings such as the old Star Ferry clock tower and Queen's Pier. I believe focus isn't as much on the architectural merit, but rather the collective and historic memory these buildings have on the people. But protest groups seem to lump these two together to generate as much publicity for their cause.

Keep in mind that the reclamation plans do not allow significant commercial constructions. In fact, the Central-Wanchai reclamation has very minimal developer interest because of the parkland plan (vs. Kai Tak and West Kowloon). On the other hand, the whole project seemed to have materialized because of a traffic need rather than a waterfront beautification objective. The latter was likely added on to appeal to the public interest instead.

Things are not that pessimistic. There are still a lot of Chinese-style villages in the New Territories with over a century of history.
I think the architectural/ heritage preservation movement in Hong Kong doesn't work because the city is based on continuously changing and progressing. Not to mention many of the people in charge are business-minded and do not really express any sentimental feelings. That is the consequence of a financial city and a city that does not have enough land. You can't expect to preserve everything.

On another note, does anyone have any recent pictures of the reclamation efforts under way in Central/ Wan Chai?
raymond_tung88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 06:27 PM   #304
hkskyline
Hong Kong

皇后碼頭拆件保留 日後中環填海區覓地重置
01月 23日 星期二 05:05AM

【明報專訊】政府表示,皇后碼頭必須清拆以配合發展,但建議保留碼頭內的鐵器和非結構部分,日後在中環填海區覓地重置。房屋及規劃地政局指出,政府會就天星鐘樓及皇后碼頭的設計意念和選址進行研究,年底有結果後,將申請撥款重建鐘樓及重置皇后碼頭。

立法會規劃地政及工程事務委員會今天將召開會議,討論皇后碼頭及前天星舊址的規劃安排。房屋及規劃地政局向立法會提交的文件強調,了解市民珍惜對舊天星鐘樓和皇后碼頭的回憶,但中環填海計劃已履行所有法律要求和諮詢程序。

保留鐵器及非結構部分

政府初步構思是把皇后碼頭內的鐵器和非結構部分,一件一件小心地拆除並妥善保存,包括繫船柱、鐵欄、「皇后碼頭」中英文牌匾、導航燈、登岸階梯的混凝土條等。至於皇后碼頭混凝土上蓋和混凝土柱,局方專業部門會與專業人士研究最好的保存方法。

天星碼頭方面,政府將物色適當地點重新搭建鐘樓,亦會與天星小輪公司商討如何將銅鐘重新裝嵌在新的鐘樓內。

年底完成研究後申撥款

重建天星鐘樓和重置皇后碼頭的設計意念和選址,規劃署會在即將展開的「中環填海區城市設計研究」中探討。並委任獨立顧問研究,預計於4月及8月安排公眾活動,包括邀請立法會、專業團體、公眾等提出意見。預計研究於本年底完成後,政府會向立法會財務委員會申請撥款,重建舊天星鐘樓和重置皇后碼頭可保留部分。

政府消息指出,基於皇后碼頭地段的地面、地底將興建隧道、水渠等,又位處P2道路網絡,就算原址保留,皇后碼頭將處於馬路中間,未必有合適功能,因此原址保留並不可行,政府計劃在中環填海區物色地方重置。另外,日後中環新天星碼頭旁的9號碼頭將成為公眾碼頭,功能與現時皇后碼頭一樣,故重置後的皇后碼頭會否維持舊有角色,抑或轉為展覽場地或博物館,政府未有定案。

學者指未見數據支持拆卸

捍衛天星、皇后碼頭行動發起人之一朱凱迪認為,皇后碼頭的價值在於其所在位置,她與大會堂、愛丁堡廣場和天星碼頭,形成一個建築群和具有歷史象徵的整體。他重申希望原址保留。

身兼古物諮詢委員會成員的中大建築系教授林雲峰則批評,「我們未見有數據、圖則,在工程技術上支持皇后碼頭拆卸的做法,拆卸是否無可避免?」

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old February 14th, 2007, 08:07 PM   #305
Myster E

Likes (Received): 73

Hey dude, in english please! I can't read any of that!
Myster E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #306
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

We're talking about the Central one right? Not the TST one?

Personally, I believe there's gotta be balance between future and past, development and time must move on. I can't say I'm happy if they decide to tear down something like the TST clock tower, but at the same time I understand that as a city evolves, some history must be destroyed. I believe that preservation is good, to a certain level, but if overdone, then a city will not be able to evolve as well as it can. (Take many cities in the States, for example, many redevelopment projects are often hindered by protests, etc. for years, and slow it down).

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #307
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myster E View Post
Hey dude, in english please! I can't read any of that!
Basically they're going under study to try to save certain artifacts from the old building and non structural parts and move it to the new building.

Old February 15th, 2007, 10:39 AM   #308
Joel que

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
We're talking about the Central one right? Not the TST one?

Personally, I believe there's gotta be balance between future and past, development and time must move on. I can't say I'm happy if they decide to tear down something like the TST clock tower, but at the same time I understand that as a city evolves, some history must be destroyed. I believe that preservation is good, to a certain level, but if overdone, then a city will not be able to evolve as well as it can. (Take many cities in the States, for example, many redevelopment projects are often hindered by protests, etc. for years, and slow it down).
I visited HK last January,I notice there's massive "face lift" in central,is the parking lot going to demolish?
Joel que no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 12:30 PM   #309
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

Gov't Press Release:
Close of tender for Tamar
Old March 3rd, 2007, 04:35 PM   #310
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Old March 3rd, 2007, 04:47 PM   #311
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel que View Post
I visited HK last January,I notice there's massive "face lift" in central,is the parking lot going to demolish?
No idea, I was there last summer and the Star Ferry was still landing in the old piers, though there was a bunch of construction going on. I know they were going to tear down the old building, but I didn't even know there was a parking lot...

btw, i still think the new pier is ugly, it looks cheap and plastic, needs a bit of aging, I think

Old March 4th, 2007, 07:36 AM   #312
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
No idea, I was there last summer and the Star Ferry was still landing in the old piers, though there was a bunch of construction going on. I know they were going to tear down the old building, but I didn't even know there was a parking lot...

btw, i still think the new pier is ugly, it looks cheap and plastic, needs a bit of aging, I think
There's a parking lot just south of the old ferry pier next to City Hall.

See red circle.

Old March 5th, 2007, 06:18 PM   #313
hkskyline
Hong Kong

專家建議物盡其用
紅磡海濱美化長廊擬通啟德

05/03/2007
太陽報

【專案組記者潘嘉寶報道】政府有意在紅磡海旁打造長約兩公里的海濱長廊,長廊更會將尖東及啟德連接,但計劃需掃除海旁區阻礙維港景致的高建築物。參與規劃的專家認為需要移走國際郵件中心及九鐵貨運碼頭等建築物,同時應在長廊海旁舉辦各類水上主題活動,加強 「玩樂」功能,否則單線發展海濱長廊只會徒勞無功。

規劃署早前委聘顧問公司展開「紅磡地區研究」,計劃打造長約兩公里的海濱長廊,從西面起即紅磡火車站開始,至東面海逸豪園海旁區域。該署又計劃,當貫通尖東與紅磡海濱後,再與啟德海濱區連接。當局現正就有關研究進行諮詢,其中參與是次規劃的中大建築學系副臈授鄭炳鴻表示,現時紅磡海旁存有一些因素,令興建海濱長廊有一定的局限性。他舉例,位於紅磡香港體育館後、佔地逾十四公頃的國際郵件中心阻礙了海濱景觀:「紅館散場後,皷觀眾都唔知原來有個海景,畀郵件中心遮住畄。」因此,他建議將郵件中心搬走,重現景觀,刺激人流。

加添水上主題元素
另外,郵件中心附近亦有一個屬於九鐵的貨運碼頭,與恬靜的海濱格格不入,鄭建議可將部分貨櫃躉船遷至別的地方,亦可美化貨運碼頭內的空置貨櫃,例如改裝成銷售紀念品的小店,供遊人購物。

他續指,以往本港的海濱長廊大多欠缺特色及單調,「尖東海濱淨係得打手印砼特色」。因此,政府可以在紅磡海濱加添水上主題元素,如興建海上餐廳、辦水上活動及邀請團體舉辦文化活動等。現時市民可利用附近的行人天橋往紅磡海旁,但十分迂迴,而途中有不少大型天橋。他指出,政府其實可利用天橋底下的公共空間作為活動場地,讓團體、組織使用,但「政府比較因循,往往不能物盡其用」。

同樣有向規劃署提供意見的九龍城區議員蕭婉嫦表示,知道區內居民就政府興建長廊表示歡迎,她認為長廊一部分可從事商業用途,如經營咖啡店,一部分可作休閒之用。

Old March 9th, 2007, 01:48 AM   #314
hkth

RTHK News:
Plan to build 2 blocks in front of IFC2 comes under fire
Old March 9th, 2007, 03:24 AM   #315
hkskyline
Hong Kong

The area in front of 2 IFC is quite empty at the moment. It can use some intensification to add more people flow to the area. It's a fairly good location, with ferry, train, and bus transport exchanges. I wonder how tall those buildings will be? There's a need for more Grade A office space in Central these days.

Old March 9th, 2007, 03:49 AM   #316
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Just answered my own question

Planned buildings `will block sun, air'
Hong Kong Standard
Friday, March 09, 2007

A number of legislators have opposed the construction of two tall buildings on Hong Kong Island's north shore facing Tsim Sha Tsui, saying they will have a wall effect and block air flow and sunlight in Central.

They also pointed out plans for these buildings were drawn up more than 10 years ago when the public had a different perception of town planning.

The objections were raised Thursday at a Legislative Council planning, lands and works panel meeting after the Planning Department raised a layout plan for a reclaimed prime site adjoining Central Piers No4 and No6 and the commercial site to the north of Two International Finance Centre.

One of proposed buildings is an office block 28 stories high, while the other is an 18-story hotel.

Democratic Alliance for the Betterment and Progress of Hong Kong legislator Choy So-yuk said the buildings are too high and will create a wall-like effect and prevent the circulation of air while blocking out the sunlight from parts of Central.

"Some 10 years ago, the public was not aware of similar problems, but now it has different views about town planning," Choy said.

Another DAB legislator, Chan Kam-lam, said the proposed site was intended for low-density development and should be utilized for both commercial and public use.

Independent legislator Kwok Ka-ki, a member of the Action Group on Protection of the Harbour, accused the government of looking at short-term gains instead of long-term benefits.

"I wonder if any international city would build two walls along the waterfront. It will block not only air ventilation but also the views from other buildings," he said.

"If one is looking for quick economic returns, then the best plan is to go 80 stories up. But it is significant the public no longer agrees with such buildings. We can't focus on short-term gains."

Kwok urged the government to reserve an open space for the public and to build commercial blocks in other places.

Planning Department chief town planner Phyllis Li Chi-miu said the proposed layout had been approved 13 years ago and had gone through the Regional Council.

She also stressed there was a high demand for top-grade commercial buildings in Central.

Old March 23rd, 2007, 03:01 AM   #317
hkth

Display for the design of the Tamar Gov't HQ
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:55 AM   #318
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2572

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkth View Post
Definitely not a good idea!

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 07:17 AM   #319
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
There is a great demand for office space in Central, which is pushing up rents and reducing Hong Kong's competitiveness. It's not just from a cost perspective, but with so much expansion in regional operations, some companies that are willing to pay a higher price can't find enough space to house them.

Having bus, ferry, and train connections nearby, that site has prime development potential.

Old March 25th, 2007, 11:42 AM   #320
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
I don't know, it would reduce the prominence of 2IFC a bit, which, IMO (and only IMO, I totally understand the other POV) juts out a bit too much and is too "in your face" in the HK skyline right now.