daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 3rd, 2005, 09:12 PM   #1
ThirdCoast312

Likes (Received): 0

Cityfront Plaza - Fairbanks: 387'/32 (Com); St Clair: 560'/40 (Can); Twr 3: 750'/65 (Can)

The Fairbanks at Cityfront Plaza
Height: 387 ft
Floor count: 32
Construction end: 2007
Architect: DeStefano + Partners, Ltd.
Developer: Centrum Properties, Inc.

The St. Clair at Cityfront Plaza
Height: 560 ft
Floor count: 40
Architect: DeStefano + Partners, Ltd.
Developer: Centrum Properties, Inc.

Tower III
Height:
Floor count:
Architect: David Hovey
Developer: Optima Inc.

Website

From left to right: The St. Clair, Tower III (old design), The Fairbanks

Closer view of the Fairbanks

The St. Clair

Photo by Retrograde

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; June 4th, 2008 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Added renderings/info.
ThirdCoast312 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2005, 10:22 PM   #2
lazar22b

Oh hey! thats the north pier development on illinois and columbus. They already built the garage and i know they were saying they would start construction on the towers after the garage. The original plan was a building that was around 80 stories. This one looks smaller but there are two other buildings there with it.

By the way, isn't the sheradon hotel missing in that picture???
lazar22b no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2005, 10:32 PM   #3
LA1

Likes (Received): 9

Awesome.
LA1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2005, 10:59 PM   #4
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
The architecture deserves an F though, especially those two towers on either ends, Yuck!, couldn't they do any better. Who designed those pieces of shit anways?
Really? I really like the central tower, the way it projects out of the nonglass base. I do hate the towers ont he ends... just a really modern version of base-podium architecture BLAH.
Old April 3rd, 2005, 11:12 PM   #5
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

lazar - there is LOTS of stuff missing from that rendering (presumably to dupe people into thinking they'll have less obstructed views than they really will).
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2005, 11:42 PM   #6
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 881

I think you mean that's the old Grand Pier project, not north pier. No the Sheraton hotel isn't missing from the shot. the sheraton is at Columbus and North Water Street on the Chicago River. The only building that I can tell that's not in this rendering is River East Tower.

Hold that thought. There are some towers to the north that are missing. some of the scrapers close to chicago and michigan, but what does that matter, they aren't close enought to affect the views of cityfront place.

i do have a feeling though that the 70+ story building and that 40+ story on the west end of the project might reverse places, but we'll see.

I take back what I was saying about things missing at the Michigan-Chicago end, I saw the rendering in the paper myself, and they're there, the only building I don't see is River East.

Last edited by BVictor1; April 4th, 2005 at 12:08 AM.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 04:47 AM   #7
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

What is missing are all the buildings hugging the Drive around Ohio/Ontario/Erie/Huron. That area is packed with highrise residential and none of it is shown.
Old April 4th, 2005, 04:57 AM   #8
Bahraini Spirit

Likes (Received): 4

Nice, fits in quite nicely.
Old April 4th, 2005, 05:17 AM   #9
Azn_chi_boi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

wow, blooming tons of new buildings on the Chicago River!

wow 70 stories!
Azn_chi_boi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 07:34 AM   #10
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Likes (Received): 1296

nice find there thirdcoast, thanks for posting.
Old April 4th, 2005, 08:22 AM   #11
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

I'm not sure that I would exactly categorize this as "riverfront" development.
Old April 4th, 2005, 05:11 PM   #12
lazar22b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
I think you mean that's the old Grand Pier project, not north pier. No the Sheraton hotel isn't missing from the shot. the sheraton is at Columbus and North Water Street on the Chicago River. The only building that I can tell that's not in this rendering is River East Tower.

Hold that thought. There are some towers to the north that are missing. some of the scrapers close to chicago and michigan, but what does that matter, they aren't close enought to affect the views of cityfront place.

i do have a feeling though that the 70+ story building and that 40+ story on the west end of the project might reverse places, but we'll see.

I take back what I was saying about things missing at the Michigan-Chicago end, I saw the rendering in the paper myself, and they're there, the only building I don't see is River East.

You're right, i did mean grand pier and not north pier.
lazar22b no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 05:24 PM   #13
Chicago3rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond
lazar - there is LOTS of stuff missing from that rendering (presumably to dupe people into thinking they'll have less obstructed views than they really will).
And am sure it is also to show off the building. It would be hard to see and focus on if it were in the mass of highrises that are there.

Sheraton is east of the NBC tower. In Newpaper's picture NBC Tower can be seen on the right.

In my picture below is the eastside of the NBC tower (lower right hand corner) and my picture is from the Sheraton. Picture was taken last May.

Last edited by Chicago3rd; April 5th, 2005 at 01:08 AM.
Chicago3rd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 02:38 AM   #14
24gotham
Formerly InTheLoop

Developers are notorius for leaving out details which may detract from a sale. At my building, half the units face an alley, but the developer went out of their way to disguise the fact that is was an alley by not showing the building across the alley in renderings, and also by using the alley's 19th century street name instead. I mean everybody knows where West Calhoun Place is, right? Fortunately, I was smart enough to do my research before signing a contract, but I have several neighbors across the hall that tell they didn't know. (Poor Suckers...)

Formerly "InTheLoop" of Chicago.
24gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2005, 02:25 PM   #15
Chi_Coruscant

Hi! I saw an article on CityFront Plaza from the today's Tribune:

3 towers in Streeterville taking over from the hulk

By John Handley
Tribune staff reporter
Published April 22, 2005

The concrete hulk stood empty and unfinished for more than two years, a stark reminder of the perils of real estate development.

Just a block east of the Magnificent Mile, the eyesore was supposed to be a parking garage for Grand Pier Center, a $375 million, mixed-use project. But financial problems stalled construction of the project in June 2001.

Now, another developer is picking up the pieces and has revealed plans to jump-start the project and build three residential towers with approximately 1,000 units at the Streeterville site, bounded by Grand Avenue, Columbus Drive and Illinois and St. Clair Streets.

Chicago-based Centrum Properties Inc. acquired the site from Lehman Brothers in December, and has been reworking plans for the massive project.

John McLinden, partner in Centrum, the new developer, said the three slender buildings will be 31, 65 and 40 stories.

The first tower will be built over the existing parking garage, which has been finished, and also will house a 55,000-square-foot Dominick's supermarket. It will total 31 stories.

"The project has been renamed CityFront Plaza to rebrand its image and sever the ties with the past," McLinden said.

The trio of high-rises, an $800 million project designed by Chicago-based architects Destefano and Partners, should be completed in six years, McLinden said.

"This is an important site that will be visible from Michigan Avenue," he added.

The first building, named the Fairbanks, will have 281 condos priced from the mid-$300,000s to more than $2 million. A sales center will open in June. Construction should begin by the first quarter of next year, McLinden said.

The original project by developer Raymond Chin was planned for a 480-room hotel over the garage and a separate condo tower with 538 units.

"We scrapped the old development plan. It just didn't make sense," McLinden said. "Our new vision is completely different."

He said planning for CityFront Plaza is in the final stages and should be completed soon.

The existing parking garage, designed for 750 cars, will be modified. Part of its six floors will be converted into 42 loft condos, McLinden said.

The main access to CityFront Plaza will be on upper Illinois Street, which runs between Michigan and Columbus. Four restaurants are planned on Illinois in the three new buildings. "They will create new street life," McLinden said.

The Fairbanks will have an outdoor swimming pool, fitness center and media room.

A boutique hotel and spa will be located in the second building. When complete, the project will have parking for 1,300 cars.

CityFront Plaza is just one of several residential high-rises planned for the Streeterville neighborhood between Michigan and Lake Shore Drive, north of the Chicago River.

"Some 3,500 new residential units are planned for the area," said Daniel McLean, president of MCL Cos., a pioneer in Streeterville development. "So far, the market has been good," he added.

Even with the boom in new residential projects, real estate analyst Gail Lissner does not expect a glut.

"In the last 15 years Streeterville has been somewhat ignored by developers while other downtown areas have been developed with new residential. Now Streeterville's time has come. The new projects should gain market acceptance. There should be no glut," said Lissner, vice president of Chicago-based Appraisal Research Counselors.

Lissner said the Centrum project has the advantage of having a direct link to the Magnificent Mile on upper Illinois Street. "Every residential developer wants to be as close to Michigan Avenue as possible," she said.
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2005, 02:41 PM   #16
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 881

Shit, you beat me to posting that awsome article...
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2005, 01:17 AM   #17
ChgoLvr83

Thats fantastic news.
Old April 23rd, 2005, 05:06 AM   #18
Azn_chi_boi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

Wow, the skyline is changing too fast, espcially with many other projects planned
Azn_chi_boi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2005, 09:42 AM   #19
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

too fast? No such thing.
Old April 23rd, 2005, 10:15 AM   #20
Rivernorth
Vertigo City

agreed. the skyline has one too many 60s and 70s towers as well, making the skyline seem a little outdated. we need some fresh new towers to modernize our skyline... Trump and Waterview especially will help in that respect.