daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 23rd, 2005, 05:19 PM   #21
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Can somebody clarify, if possible: isn't the 60 storey building, at least how it appears in the picture, the exact same one that would have been Grand Pier? I mean, have they chosen to go ahead with that design in tact? To me, it looks virtually the same.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 23rd, 2005, 08:30 PM   #22
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 881

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25
Can somebody clarify, if possible: isn't the 60 storey building, at least how it appears in the picture, the exact same one that would have been Grand Pier? I mean, have they chosen to go ahead with that design in tact? To me, it looks virtually the same.
It's not quite the same. The old design was designed by Fujikawa Johnson & Associates, the new desidn is by DeStefano. And remember the old design was a 2 tower project, and Cityfront Center proposal is a 3 tower project.

Old Rendering

New Designs

BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 01:56 AM   #23
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Well, I was walking by the garage today to see if that damned Dominicks had opened yet (nope) and noticed that the banners were up for CityFront Plaza.

I had never noticed this kick-ass outdoor escalator leading up to the new section of upper Illinois. I presume it's quite new.

'Nother shot of that escalator.

Signage on the garage's northeast corner advertising the proposed tower.
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:40 AM   #24
Latoso
C.B.P.

Likes (Received): 3

That escalator was ane awesome idea.

Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will themselves not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die. - Daniel Burnham
Latoso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 06:59 PM   #25
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

They installed the esculator last year, and the banners for the project have been up for about 2 months.

I don't really care for the design of the Fairbanks.
Old May 25th, 2005, 04:52 PM   #26
New York Yankee

Likes (Received): 4

awesome

it looks very small for 70 floors.
New York Yankee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2005, 11:32 AM   #27
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

I stopped by the sales center at Cityfront Center, and I was told that 20% of the units for The Fairbanks have been sold. They went straight to contracts. Also the second tower which is roughly 50 stories and on the western part of the project will be called The St. Clair. If they keep going this routh the third building will be called The Grand. The third and tallest tower currently does not have a name. I was told that it will be a combination of condos and a hotel, some of the hotel suies will be for sale.

I was able to snap some shots of the rendering boards that they have in the sales center.

I am going to call Centrum Properties to see if I can get a high resolution rendering.
Old July 7th, 2005, 01:45 PM   #28
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Dominick's at Grand Pier site delayed

July 7, 2005

BY SANDRA GUY Business Reporter

Dominick's has delayed until late October or early November the opening of its grocery store at the Grand Pier complex on Columbus Drive.

The store, on the block bounded by Grand, Illinois, Columbus and St. Clair, was originally planned to open early in 2005, but has run into repeated delays.

A Dominick's spokeswoman said Wednesday the original property owner had to tackle unspecified "environmental issues" that took six months to resolve. The next delay occurred when the original developer, Ray Chin, was unable to pay off a loan, enabling Lehman Bros. to take over the project.

"Now, we're reworking underground plumbing," spokeswoman Wynona Redmond said, declining to be more specific.

The new Dominick's will feature a pharmacy, a Starbucks cafe and a "natural" foods section.

Dominick's parent company, Safeway Inc. of Pleasanton, Calif., has started remodeling older grocery stores and building new ones to better compete against fast-growing, non-union rivals Wal-Mart, Target and Whole Foods.

The complex across the street from Dominick's, known as River East Center, will get three new tenants this fall -- Cold Stone Creamery, a specialty ice-cream shop; Max and Bennie's, a diner and deli, and Star Lanes, a high-end bowling alley.

The River East Center, a $1.5 billion retail and condo complex anchored by AMC 21 movie theaters, also includes Walgreens, the Holmes Place health club, P.J. Clarke's restaurant and a 58-story condo tower.
Old July 7th, 2005, 02:18 PM   #29
Chi_Coruscant

Likes (Received): 0

20% of units sold at Fairbanks? That's a pretty good start since the sales center opened last week.
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2005, 03:37 PM   #30
ChicagoLover

Man that tower on a minimally-disguised parking garage pedestal is getting to me. Don't these developers have any shame?
ChicagoLover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2005, 05:19 PM   #31
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoLover
Man that tower on a minimally-disguised parking garage pedestal is getting to me. Don't these developers have any shame?
Well, the previous developer Ray Chin who was developing the original Grand Pier project only got as far as the parking and that was about 3 years ago. The new developers couldn't just tear the garage down and start over. That would have been economically unrealistic.
Old July 7th, 2005, 08:04 PM   #32
ChicagoLover

Ah, I see.. Well I suppose I wouldn't mind as much, except that the condo towers themselves look rather ho-hum. Not Loewenberg-terrible or anything, just ho-hum.
ChicagoLover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2005, 06:16 AM   #33
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Another view of the proposed complex. I scanned this image from material that I got from the sales center.

Old July 10th, 2005, 11:33 AM   #34
itsnotrequired

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
Another view of the proposed complex. I scanned this image from material that I got from the sales center.

Pretty ordinary (except for the middle one). Let's try and shake things up...
itsnotrequired no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 06:43 PM   #35
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Development is development is development. I'll take 'em - grinning all the way.
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2005, 11:58 AM   #36
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

www.loftliving.com
July 21, 2005
Fairbanks starts with big base of sales
by Sarah Unke

Developer Centrum Properties hit the 25 percent sold mark during its first weekend of sales at the Fairbanks at CityFront Plaza, a 31-story condo development planned for the 200 block of East Illinois Street, in Streeterville.

It was an auspicious start for the first phase of a mixed-use project set to replace R.M. Chin & Associates' failed Grand Pier project, which halted a few years back after a string of environmental, contractor and financing problems. Developer Raymond Chin only realized eight stories of his ambitious vision, leaving Centrum with a large parking garage to work into its development.

Centrum has tried to turn that leftover structure into an asset, creating a large private landscaped plaza over a base of residential lofts and parking. Among other things, this configuration allows for "terrace homes," immediately above the base, with private outdoor gardens. These large units have 1,068 to 1,903 square feet and are priced from the $500s.

To facilitate its construction over the existing garage, the Fairbanks was designed as a steel frame structure, according to Scott Sarver, of DeStefano & Partners, architects for the new tower.

"It's a very unusual building because it's steel," Sarver said, speaking of the decidedly contemporary design. "There are higher floor-to-floor heights." Chicago's residential towers tend to be concrete, but Sarver said steel construction would allow Centrum to build higher, maximize views and create soft curves on the north and south faces of the building.

Centrum bought the site, bounded by Saint Clair Street, Illinois Street, Fairbanks Court and Grand Avenue, in December of 2004, planning roughly 1,000 luxury condos in three phases. Phase II of CityFront Plaza calls for a 65-story tower with condominiums, a boutique hotel and a spa, and phase III will be a 40-story condo building. The entire development should be complete in four or five years, according to Nathalie Tourre, sales manager for the Fairbanks.

The first of those phases, the Fairbanks, has 281 units with prices ranging from the mid-$300s to more than $2 million. The condos have one to three bedrooms, one to three baths and indoor parking spaces priced from about $40,000 to $60,000.

Features include floor-to-ceiling windows, pre-wired media centers, marble tile bathrooms, Kohler and Grohe fixtures, granite countertops and built-in stainless steel appliances. The building will have a 24-hour doorman, a concierge, a garden terrace with an outdoor pool and fitness center, a clubroom with a pool table, a business center, a private theater, a media room and a bar.

The location, however, may be the top draw for Fairbanks' buyers, according to McLinden, and a new spate of Streeterville highrise developments ranging from the ParkView and 550 N. St. Clair to the Helmut Jahn-designed 600 N. Fairbanks Court seems to prove his point.

"This one is probably the best location of anything out there right now," McLinden said. "Streeterville has the greatest thing this city has to offer - the lake."

The Fairbanks at CityFront Plaza, www.CityFrontPlaza.com, is slated to break ground during the first quarter of 2006, and a sales center opened on site, at 240 E. Illinois St., in late June.
Old September 7th, 2005, 09:51 PM   #37
Chris84

Does anyone have any new info on this building? how tall will this building be?
Chris84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2005, 06:46 PM   #38
richardsonhomebuyers

Likes (Received): 1

Did anyone else notice the fact that there is a new crane at this site? I just saw it a few minutes ago walking down michigan. At first I thought it was for Avenue East but it looks like it is set back to far. I will try and walk by it or see if I can get a better view from my roof in a little bit. I'll try and take some pictures if I can figure out how to post on here.
richardsonhomebuyers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2005, 07:12 PM   #39
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

I think it's for the Fairbanks, which'll start soon.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2005, 08:08 PM   #40
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy999
I think it's for the Fairbanks, which'll start soon.
it is for The Fairbanks. They've been installing it for the past few days