daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises > Proposed Highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 4th, 2017, 04:14 AM   #1
kimahrikku1

Likes (Received): 6954

BUSAN | Haeundae Lotte Castle Star | 162m | 532ft | 49 fl x 4 | App

Haeundae Lotte Castle Star, Busan, South Korea
162m / Residential / App / 2017-2020

49Fl : x4

http://www.lottecastle.co.kr/
kimahrikku1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2017, 08:08 AM   #2
kimahrikku1

http://www.lottecastle.co.kr/apt/con...tMenuCd=AM0052
Old September 14th, 2017, 10:07 AM   #3
kimahrikku1

Old October 26th, 2017, 10:26 AM   #4
kimahrikku1

Old October 26th, 2017, 10:35 AM   #5
Elster

Likes (Received): 1079

Very impressive.
Would you say the standard for apartments construction nowadays in SK is 30-40-50 stories ? and do they demolish buildings as tall as 10-15 stories for taller buildings ?
Elster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2017, 11:07 AM   #6
kimahrikku1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elster View Post
Very impressive.
Would you say the standard for apartments construction nowadays in SK is 30-40-50 stories ? and do they demolish buildings as tall as 10-15 stories for taller buildings ?

Well, it depends on what you mean by standards, and what your perspective is. Overall, the average height for new construction increases, as well as the overall height of the buildings demolished. And a construction height that might have been considered impressive only 5 or 10 years is not viewed the same way now.

First of all, there is a confirmation bias, as on this forum, I used to have a rule of only posting threads for buildings over 30 floors (usually over 100m). I actually gave up because they were too many constructions matching these criteria. Now I only do the 30 floor rule for Seoul, and for other cities, I arbitrarily decide whether I feel it's worth my time to create a pic. A waterfront cladded 35-story building in Busan might make the cut, while a 45-story commieblock in the suburbs or a small town might not... So I'm being selective.

Also, it's important to not view Korean projects through the Seoul scope alone. Within city limits, Seoul is built everywhere, so there are virtually no apartments being built on previously unbuilt land. And Seoul has a high density of residential "commieblock" complex built in the 1970s and 1980s. In most other cities, the Korean apartments (the ugly blocks of 10 floor buildings) were only built starting from the late 1980s. So except in Seoul (and Busan, to some degree), there are fewer apartment blocks in other cities that have underwent reconstruction. Usually, for other cities, these are "redevelopment" (of tight neighborhoods of 2 or 3 story houses, called "villas" in Korea), rather than "reconstruction" (of existing commieblocks). And in many cities, the urban fabric is expanding, with the building of new neighborhoods on land previously used for farming. Most of the projects in dynamic cities such as Cheonan or New Towns such as Yongin or Ansan are of this nature.

Even for reconstruction (excluding redevelopment), I think the average height of the demolished buildings is still below 10 floor. There are outliers notably for Seoul, but for provincial cities, these 15-floor apartments are not yet considered too old or too bad. It will probably come in the next 10 years or so, but there are uglier buildings to demolish before demolishing the 15-floor ones.

For the height of the new buildings, Seoul has 35-floor height restriction around the river (with exceptions, but that's the big picture), which limits the average. But even though, most reconstruction/redevelopment of Seoul are below 30 floors (many in the 22-29 floor range). I actually believe that there are additional restrictions which apply starting at 30 floors (safety infrastructures, transportation...), so there are many apartments being built at no higher than 29 floors for this very reason.

But that being said, there are now many buildings built in the 40 to 50 floor range. While this was mostly limited to landmark or luxury projects in big cities, we can now see buildings in that range (or over 50) in second-tier cities and with limited buzz/marketing.

But true landmark projects are usually limited to Seoul or Busan, with cladded buildings or bold architectural choices. You might always get a couple of ones in Incheon (mostly Songdo International City) or Daegu, but the market for truly high-end residences is still mostly limited to these new cities.

I'm just a urban development enthusiast, not an expert and not actually Korean, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.
Old October 26th, 2017, 11:11 AM   #7
Elster

Likes (Received): 1079

Thank you, very well explained

kimahrikku1, aquaticko liked this post
Elster no está en línea   Reply With Quote