daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 14th, 2017, 11:29 PM   #1
Victoria123

Likes (Received): 1765

SEOUL | Seoul Sewoon Grounds & Sewoon Market Building Rejuvenation Project | Pro

Construction slated to begin in 2021 ~ 2023.

This is the winning design.

http://www.slnews.co.kr/news/article...tml?idxno=3083

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfrH6ckD-ls

Basically coming in beside the Sewoon market building.

The original Sewoon market building - rejuvenation currently underway.

Before

Last edited by Victoria123; March 15th, 2017 at 03:00 AM.
Victoria123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2017, 02:05 AM   #2
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1024

This looks brilliant. Finally, a design-centered proposal and a rejuvenation of an existing structure, as opposed to a demolition of what already exists and a bunch of bland concrete towers.

I know this isn't a residential project, and therefore that it wouldn't likely have been anything like that anyway, but at least Seoul is paying attention to its public spaces.

Victoria123 liked this post
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2017, 05:53 AM   #3
kimahrikku1

Likes (Received): 6959

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
This looks brilliant. Finally, a design-centered proposal and a rejuvenation of an existing structure, as opposed to a demolition of what already exists and a bunch of bland concrete towers.

I know this isn't a residential project, and therefore that it wouldn't likely have been anything like that anyway, but at least Seoul is paying attention to its public spaces.
I love the Sewoon District 4 project. I hesitated about posting a thread about it a couple of days ago, but when I saw it would only start in 2021, I held off. I really hope they complete it as planned.

As for the Sewoon Market, I'm much more cautious. This place looks like a dump right now, and tourists / bystanders would pretty much never think about visiting is as is. Due to the site's bad image, I think the restoration project would have to be massive to change the people's opinion about Sewoon. I'm not entirely sure it will be sufficient. But I might be proven wrong. If it works it would be great, because a structure such as Sewoon is unique and it would make for a great experience to stroll on top of the redesigned complex.
kimahrikku1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2017, 10:57 PM   #4
inno4321

Likes (Received): 12418

Amazing rendering. I agreed that this project stunning. I'm skeptical they built it as like rendering shape though
but worst mayor preserved beside old ugly concrete building which one originally has plan to demolish and turn into massive public park from world heritage~namsan mountain.
suffocating boxy concrete and mayor.

"Theory of Quantum Mechanics, theory of Inflation, M-theory imply Multiverses. Probably We're a part of Infinity&Nothing" inno4321
inno4321 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2017, 11:53 AM   #5
Victoria123

Likes (Received): 1765

SEWOON 6-3-1,2

SEWOON 6-2-46

inno4321 liked this post

Last edited by Victoria123; May 17th, 2017 at 12:10 PM.
Victoria123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 08:55 AM   #6
kimahrikku1

Didn't remember about this thread, so I posted this message on the Projects & Construction page last week.

Sewoon Again Project

Phase 1 of Sewoon Again Project (well actually it's not exactly phase 1, there's already some kind of incubator which they set up last year in the building) will open next Tuesday. As you know, Sewoon is this horizontal shopping mall built around 50 years ago in the middle of the city and across Cheonggyecheon. It was decrepited, and now it's getting a new life. I was fairly skeptical about this project, but looking at the pictures, I think it will be better than I expected. Once again, this is an urban regeneration project, so the scale (and pricetag) is smaller than other projects. Well, you be the judge. Contruction is not quite finished yet.

http://blog.naver.com/dahliakim/221096290966

Last edited by kimahrikku1; September 25th, 2017 at 04:00 AM.
Old September 25th, 2017, 04:40 AM   #7
kimahrikku1

So, I went there on Saturday to visit, and here are my impressions.

The scale of the project is fairly small. They have added these elevated alleys on each side with the pedestrian bridge over Cheonggyecheon, but not too much else that I could see. For full disclosure, I didn't know the detailed renders about the project, the internal layout or these kinds of things, which allowed me to visit it the way most locals do, as a simple and curious tourist.

For what has been done, I think the design is decent, fairly slick, and with a nice mix of glass and container-like structures. My main disappointment is that the inside of the Sewoon Arcade still seemed to be the same: narrow, dark, and uninviting. I didn't feel appealed to get in, so I didn't do it. Maybe they had redesigned the inside, but nothing led me or other people to believe so.

On the new alleys, the inner side (old building) is still occupied by the hardware or electronics traders, while on the outer side, it is the "start-up" themed MakerCity concept (or whatever, I don't exactly know how this work, or if it's a full scale incubator). I'm surprised that on the inner side of the alleys, none of the old stores have been replaced by coffeeshops or other cool stores. I know such projects take time, but for Gyeongui Line Forest Trail, I think there were some coffeeshops or dessert joints opened from Day 1. There might be regulations regarding the type of businesses allowed there, so doubts about the economic viability, or maybe it just takes time before new businesses move in.

But, the place has a lot of charm. As you know, the area around Sewoon Arcade is a bit of a slum, and being there on these modern catwalks overlooking the slums and the modern city in the background (Jongro to the West, Dongdaemun to the East) was absolutely great. The rooftops have also been redeveloped, as there is an elevator taking people all the way up to 9th floor (the rooftop) from the Jongro Street side. The view from the top is spectacular, with great view to Namsan (South) and to Jongmyo/Changdeokgung/Bukhansan (North). The rooftop itself has great lounge potential, and is very hip. There was a small conference there, but it could work as a place for parties or lounge very well.

On the 1st floor on the North Side (main entrance), there are also excavated remains of old buildings foundations. It's small, but it's a nice touch. There were also a small attached Exhibition Center (near the foundations) and apparently other things to do on 4th and 5th floor, which I didn't do.

As far as affluence, it wasn't a big crowd, but for an opening that was hardly advertised, I thought the crowd was decent, and people seemed genuinely interested when they were walking by Jongro and noticed the newly renovated Sewoon Arcade. I definitely believe this place could grow on people and be successful. It will take time of course. And I would have liked the renovation project to further integrate the inside of the complex which doesn't seem to have changed much. So a larger scaled project would have been more to my liking.

If you do go there, I definitely recommend going to the 9th floor, which offers unparalleled views of downtown Seoul.
Old September 27th, 2017, 02:25 AM   #8
inno4321

Likes (Received): 12418

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimahrikku1 View Post
So, I went there on Saturday to visit, and here are my impressions.

The scale of the project is fairly small. They have added these elevated alleys on each side with the pedestrian bridge over Cheonggyecheon, but not too much else that I could see. For full disclosure, I didn't know the detailed renders about the project, the internal layout or these kinds of things, which allowed me to visit it the way most locals do, as a simple and curious tourist.

For what has been done, I think the design is decent, fairly slick, and with a nice mix of glass and container-like structures. My main disappointment is that the inside of the Sewoon Arcade still seemed to be the same: narrow, dark, and uninviting. I didn't feel appealed to get in, so I didn't do it. Maybe they had redesigned the inside, but nothing led me or other people to believe so.

On the new alleys, the inner side (old building) is still occupied by the hardware or electronics traders, while on the outer side, it is the "start-up" themed MakerCity concept (or whatever, I don't exactly know how this work, or if it's a full scale incubator). I'm surprised that on the inner side of the alleys, none of the old stores have been replaced by coffeeshops or other cool stores. I know such projects take time, but for Gyeongui Line Forest Trail, I think there were some coffeeshops or dessert joints opened from Day 1. There might be regulations regarding the type of businesses allowed there, so doubts about the economic viability, or maybe it just takes time before new businesses move in.

But, the place has a lot of charm. As you know, the area around Sewoon Arcade is a bit of a slum, and being there on these modern catwalks overlooking the slums and the modern city in the background (Jongro to the West, Dongdaemun to the East) was absolutely great. The rooftops have also been redeveloped, as there is an elevator taking people all the way up to 9th floor (the rooftop) from the Jongro Street side. The view from the top is spectacular, with great view to Namsan (South) and to Jongmyo/Changdeokgung/Bukhansan (North). The rooftop itself has great lounge potential, and is very hip. There was a small conference there, but it could work as a place for parties or lounge very well.

On the 1st floor on the North Side (main entrance), there are also excavated remains of old buildings foundations. It's small, but it's a nice touch. There were also a small attached Exhibition Center (near the foundations) and apparently other things to do on 4th and 5th floor, which I didn't do.

As far as affluence, it wasn't a big crowd, but for an opening that was hardly advertised, I thought the crowd was decent, and people seemed genuinely interested when they were walking by Jongro and noticed the newly renovated Sewoon Arcade. I definitely believe this place could grow on people and be successful. It will take time of course. And I would have liked the renovation project to further integrate the inside of the complex which doesn't seem to have changed much. So a larger scaled project would have been more to my liking.

If you do go there, I definitely recommend going to the 9th floor, which offers unparalleled views of downtown Seoul.

Well good explanation.
Still I think this old sawoon must demolish and make great public park from 종묘 Joungmyu palace to Namsan MOUNTAIN.
But what can i do? i'm just ordinary citizens. I have no power to demolish this ugly ridiculous building turn to green park.

BTW I'm very interesting that you recommended roof top.
Yes I'm not yet go there but i'm sure that definitely roof top allow awesome seoul landscape view.
I think that place best area for EDM party.

Yes seoul didn't do there best for marketing or advertisement about this project especially when compared with Seoulro bridge most citizen don;t know this sawoon project open.

So it is time to need more coffee shop and other commercial shop substitute old shop.
BTW I'm little bit skeptical woman like this building like kyoung e train road forest.

"Theory of Quantum Mechanics, theory of Inflation, M-theory imply Multiverses. Probably We're a part of Infinity&Nothing" inno4321
inno4321 no está en línea   Reply With Quote