search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Fun Forums > Creative Corner > The Drawing Board > Stadium Design

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 15th, 2017, 07:08 PM   #1
MaTTiC
mStadia.net

Likes (Received): 366

Stadia Designers Cup ★★★ Everton F.C.

★ ★ ★
StadiaDesignersCup
Everton F.C.

Finally! The Day has become!

There`s few subtle but important changes, so first of all please read the regulations and if you have any questions or thougts - don`t be afraid to ask! First week is dedicated for discussions which might actually affects on regulations.

Now, I`ll lead you trough the regulations and explain each paragraph. Let`s go!

Quote:
1. General provisions

1.1 Competition organisers

1.1.1 Roles

3rd edition of „Stadia Designers Cup” is organised by:
  • Mateusz Cegielski (main organiser);
  • Malden Janković (co-organiser);
  • and Paul Olak (consultant).
further called "Organisers".

1.1.2 Competing organisers

Except main organiser, all others are entitled to take part in competition as a contestants (further called "competing organisers"). However, if any of organisers will decide to submit a competition entry, he is obligated to report it in public in offcial Stadia Designers Cup ★★★ thread on SkyscraperCity.com at least a month before current deadline date.

Competing organisers will lose an orgniser`s privileges after deadline date, i.e. they will not be allowed to see earlier submitted entries by other contestants before the beginning of voting process and will not have access to public and jury vote progress details.

1.2 Competition partners

Official partners of the competition are:
further called “Partners”.
You all know me, you all know Mladen, you all know Paul... I guess there`s nothing new to say. Well, maybe the fact that I as a main organiser cannot take part in competition as a contestant Mladen and Paul can but if they decide to submit their entries, month before current deadline date their co-organiser`s privileges will be limited! Everything is explained in regulations above

Oh, I almost forgot... OStadium, Passione Stadi - welcome onboard!

Quote:
2. Subject of the competition

2.1 The task

2.1.1 Main task

The essential task in 3rd edition of „Stadia Designers Cup” is to create a concept of a hypothetical new stadium for Everton F.C. at Bramley-Moore Dock site in Liverpool.

2.1.2 Site obstructions

There are two Grade II listed (on Statutory List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest) buildings at Bramley-Moore Dock site:
  • the hydraulic tower - cannot be demolished or moved, could be renovated or adapted to more suitable for new dock function purposes (e.g. club pub or fanshop);
  • and dock retaining walls - cannot be demolished (even partly), must retain unharmed.

2.1.3 Optional task

City of Liverpool has a chance to host one of the following editions of Commonwalth Games. Therefore, contestants who are eager for challenges may show their visions of the new stadium at Bramley-Moore Dock in two different versions:
  • in the athletics mode for Commonwealth Games;
  • and converted into the football mode for Everton F.C. games.
Decision whether the conversion will be permanent or not belongs to the author.

Realization of the optional task gives an opportunity to gain an extra 250 points to final results.

2.2 Concept requirements

2.2.1 Stadium

• have to fit in the area designated by Organisers;
  • must have a capacity around 55 000 (+/- 5 000) seats in football mode;
  • must have a capacity above 30 000 seats in athletics mode [1];
  • have to provide a possibility of hosting an athletics events [1];
  • have to meet the major conditions of 4th UEFA category;
  • should refers to the history and heritage of Everton F.C. and city of Liverpool.

2.2.3 Branding
  • stadium interior have to be decorated in “Stadia Designers Cup ★★★” branding;
  • competition and partners logotypes are available in “Attachment B - branding”;
  • competition and partners logotypes can be used only in color variants available in “Attachment B - branding”.
Huh... Here`s the part which about I expect the most question In brief: everyone has to design ~55 000-seater on which Everton F.C. could play its games in Premier League and European Cups.

What`s going on with this "athletics mode"? Keyword: Commonwealth Games. City of Liverpool wants to organise one of the following editions and it would be silly to build dedicated olympic stadium only for one event (what`s up London? ). So here`s two possible scenarios to solve this situation:
  • Manchester 2002-2003 way: build a stadium which is capable to host an athletic event and then, after it ends - redevelopment to permanent football mode.
  • London 2012-2016 way: athletics mode first, then redevelopment which allows to switch between athletics and football mode.

Everything`s clear? I hope so...

To help you design a dream stadium for The Toffees supporters, I tottally reccomend to read the article "A Place to Call Home" by Lyndon Lloyd. It`s really looong lecture but trust me - it`s worth it

Quote:
3. Competition entry

3.1 Application form

• architectural boards preferred;
  • entry has to be anonymous [2];
  • entry must be submitted in English;
  • obligatory presentation board ratio is 10:7 (format B); min. size 1772◊1240 px;
  • max. 10 boards named: name_surname_01-10;
  • preferred graphic files format: *.png for raster and *.pdf for vector files.

3.2 Content

3.2.1 Minimal requirements

• title board with a „full-screen” aerial/bird eye view;
  • one interior view in football-mode;
  • one interior view in athletics-mode [1];
  • one exterior view from human eye perspective;
  • basic masterplan/plan view;
  • one cross or longitudinal section;
  • 2 elevation views (western or eastern, northern or southern).

3.2.2 Recommended requirements
  • title board with a „full screen” aerial/bird eye view;
  • extra aerial/bird eye view from another perspective;
  • two or more interior views (in football- and atheltics-mode [1]);
  • two or more exterior views from human eye perspective;
  • beuaty-shot view [3];
  • semi-detailed masterplan/plan view;
  • at least one cross and one longitudinal section;
  • 4 elevation views [4] (western, eastern, northern, southern).

3.3 Submission
  • submitted design cannot be fully published in the internet/media [5] before voting process begins;
  • each contestant is entitled to submit only one entry;
  • entry must be sent by e-mail at [email protected] until 18 VI 2017, 23:59.59 CET;
  • message topic: Competition entry – name surname;
  • contestants are obligated to attach signed declaration, available in „Attachment C - declaration”;
  • entry without signed declaration will not be accepted.

3.3.1 Copyrights and personal data processing
  • copyrights to submitted design remains the property of the author;
  • published entry will be signed by contestant`s name and surname after announcing its final position in ranking;
  • signing a declaration is tantamount to the permission to publication of the entry in the internet/media by Organizers and Partners.
Two important things here...

Why presentations have to be anonymous? Two Public Votes behind us and statistics shows that voters very often doesn`t look on design but on the flag next to designer`s name. I hope making presentations anonymous will make Public Vote more objective.

Second thing is proportions of presentation boards. Please keep it in format B (10:7 ratio). It would really makes things easier when it comes to present efforts of your work.

Quote:
4. Voting process and final rankings

4.1 Abridged voting rules

4.1.1 Public vote

• voting platform will be open on 25 VI 2017, 18:00 CET and closed on 1 VII 2017, 23:59.59 CET;
  • each voter is entitled to vote only once by selecting his favourite 3 entries giving them respectively: 3, 2 and 1 star/point (3 is the highest note);
  • each voter is obligated to distribute all 3 points/stars, otherwise vote will not be valid;
  • each voter attempting to give more than one vote will not be included in the voting process at all.

4.1.1 Jury vote
  • Jury panel consists 5 (max. 7) members (details TBA);
  • voting platform will be open for Jurors on 3 VII 2017, 18:00 CET and closed on 8 VII 2017, 23:59.59 CET;
  • each Juror is obligated to assess all entries in two basic categories ("Idea" and "Presentation") in scale from 1★ to 10★;
  • each Juror is obligated to assess the entry in category "Conversion" in scale from 1★ to 10★, if design takes into account the implementation of optional task [1];
  • both categories have different "weight", respectively x3 for "Idea", x2 for "Presentation" and x5(!) for "Conversion".

4.2 Final ranking

4.2.1 Final results

• contestant whose design will score the highest number of points/stars in Public and Jury vote combined will become The Winner of the 3rd edition of “Stadia Designers Cup”;
  • if two or more contestants will score the same total of stars/points in Public and Jury Vote combined, the one who had better result in Jury Vote will be classified higher in the final ranking;
  • if still tied, contestant who received more 3 points/stars notes in Public Vote will be classified higher in the final ranking (if still tied, repeat respectively with 2 and 1 point/star notes).

4.2.3 (-1) penalty

Designs which in some way does not meet competition regulations will be moved 1 place down in final ranking. No matter how spectacular design would be, if it incompatible with regulations it cannot take 1st place in final ranking.

4.3 The Winner privileges

4.3.1 Prize

The Winner of 3rd edition of “Stadia Designers Cup” will receive a personalized glass statuette and an official 2016/2017 Everton F.C. match jersey.

4.3.2 „The Cup follows the Winner” rule

The country which The Winner comes from will be invited to "host" the the following edition of "Stadia Designers Cup", i.e. Organisers will look for subject of next edition in Winner`s homeland.
In brief: do your best for you country! But seriously... It would make things much more easier for us, Organisers. Picking a topic is very hard and responsible task and this is the way you could help us in organising following ediotions.

Quote:
5. Competition schedule

5.1 Agenda

• 15 III 2017, 18:00 CET - competition launch
  • 15-22 III 2017 - Q&A and potential major changes in regulations
  • 30 VI 2017, 23:59.59 CET - submissions deadline
  • 1-2 VII 2017, 23:59.59 CET - voting process preparations and potential correction of submitted entries
  • 3 VII 2017, 18:00 CET – 8 VII 2017, 23:59.59 CET - public and jury vote
  • 9 VII 2017 - final results announcement

Deadline date could be postponed on contestants special request.
Nothing new... pretty much clear

Quote:
6. Final provisions
  • Organisers claim the right to change the regulations;
  • Organisers obligate themselves to inform contestants about any regulations changes in public in official competition thread on SkyscraperCity.com;
  • not having fun due the competition is absolutely forbidden!
If we`ll change something - you`ll know it!

Your "must have" pack.

Land plot doesn`t includes tower and walls models. You`ll have to recreate them by yourself in places marked on red or wait for an update (sorry guys, lack od free time! ).

Area designated for works is also an unsure thing... There`s no official informations where the exatcly is the border of the study. We only know that stadium will stay in place of filled Bramley-Moore Dock. Rest is based on the assumption.

Quote:
8. References

[1] - applies only if the optional task has been realised
[2] - presentations cannot be signed or marked in any other way which could guide to author`s personality and nationality
[3] - panoramic view on the interior from the highest possible point in stadium corner
[4] - western or eastern/northern or southern if object is symmetrical
[5] - occasional workflow updates are welcomed in official competition thread on SkyscraperCity.com
Explanations, explanations... Aaaand that`s all

Questions?
No? Good luck then!

P.S.
Apologize for delay! I`m still at work...

-----

Update no. 1 - 17.06.2017

Quote:
5. Competition schedule

5.1 Agenda

• 15 III 2017, 18:00 CET - competition launch
  • 15-22 III 2017 - Q&A and potential major changes in regulations
  • 30 VI 2017, 23:59.59 CET - submissions deadline
  • 1-2 VII 2017, 23:59.59 CET - voting process preparations and potential correction of submitted entries
  • 3 VII 2017, 18:00 CET – 8 VII 2017, 23:59.59 CET - public and jury vote
  • 9 VII 2017 - final results announcement

Deadline date could be postponed on contestants special request.

Check out previous editions results!
| ★★ | ★★★

Last edited by MaTTiC; July 2nd, 2017 at 10:15 PM.
MaTTiC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2017, 09:23 PM   #2
ryanjmcconnell

Likes (Received): 63

So we can only build within the hatched area of the the attached land plot?
ryanjmcconnell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 10:34 PM   #3
MaTTiC
mStadia.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjmcconnell View Post
So we can only build within the hatched area of the the attached land plot?
Exatcly!

| ★★ | ★★★
Old March 16th, 2017, 12:23 AM   #4
brettstaats222

Likes (Received): 53

Sweet I'm starting now do we need to have 3d seats?
brettstaats222 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 12:44 AM   #5
MaTTiC
mStadia.net

Feel free to use 2D texture-seats

| ★★ | ★★★
Old March 16th, 2017, 01:22 AM   #6
pompeyfan

Likes (Received): 84

I think I will wait for the updated plot.

That being said, I am really happy with the change to anonymous entry - let the designs be judged on their merits, rather than the designer's nationality.

I'll definitely be taking on the conversion - but who said you can't design for both athletics and football? London may have done an awful job of it but it can be done. And concerts - can't forget about those!

More seriously though, I had a wave of inspiration whack me over the head last night so I have a basic idea for the venue in mind. It's well suited for me to try out my design ideas I've been holding onto for a little while, so I will do that.

Good luck to everyone involved in the competition.

Keep up with my latest projects here

Christchurch liked this post
pompeyfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 01:36 AM   #7
brettstaats222

Really excited for this
Old March 16th, 2017, 04:49 AM   #8
Christchurch

Likes (Received): 413

Stadia Designers Cup ★★★ Everton F.C.

I've got a good idea of what I'm going to do and I'm really excited to see what others come up with

I have one (simple) question though, are we allowed to dig down so that the lower tier is below ground level?

This would mean that when it's in athletics mode, the track Is on ground level if it covered the lower tier or does the water table mean we aren't able to do this?

EDIT: I'm also going to wait for the detailed site before I start hint hint

Last edited by Christchurch; March 16th, 2017 at 05:01 AM.
Christchurch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2017, 04:51 PM   #9
MaTTiC
mStadia.net

Information for those who preffer to wait for updated land plot model: around the weekend... not earlier.

As you can (or actually can`t) see there`s no info about #sdc3 in social media or on our partners sites. I`m really swamped last few days and I`ll do my best catch up on everything on weekend!
---

@pompeyfan
Quote:
[...] but who said you can't design for both athletics and football?
I don`t know who but it wasn`t me Singapure Sport Hub is a perfect example how to deal with conversion between modes.
---

@Christchurch

Quote:
I have one (simple) question though, are we allowed to dig down so that the lower tier is below ground level?

This would mean that when it's in athletics mode, the track Is on ground level if it covered the lower tier or does the water table mean we aren't able to do this?
It`s XXI century.... Technically it`s not a problem but that solution would require some really ground stabilizations. Also, if you want to dig down you can`t forget about the fact that river is very, very close So floods, etc. That`s a toughy
---

P.S.
Today I`ll get back home same late as yesterday (~10:00 PM CET) or even later (sic!) so don`t except many activities from me before this hour

| ★★ | ★★★

Christchurch, pompeyfan liked this post

Last edited by MaTTiC; March 16th, 2017 at 06:15 PM.
Old March 16th, 2017, 11:49 PM   #10
Liverpudlian82

Likes (Received): 239

I once made an athletics track and field model with exact dimensions that you might find useful for this competition.

You can download it here: https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/mod...esign-purposes
Old March 17th, 2017, 12:52 AM   #11
pompeyfan

@Liverpudlian82 - Very nice! I wish I had seen that yesterday when I made mine - Google's is massively too narrow and out of proportion for it to be used in this competition.

@MaTTiC - Don't sweat it - we've all got plenty of work to get done on our projects - they're just a couple of props to finish the project with. Go have a game of tetris or something

I've just completed the layouts for my lower tiers and they come to 22,580. Definitely on the right track when it comes to getting to 55,000.

Talking shop for a moment, I have genuine concerns about access and egress onto the site - you've got two small access points to get 55,000 people in and out of the site. A fire or bomb could prove truly devastating and I don't see any easy way to prevent that, short of secondary access routes through Wellington Dock. Add to that - how do people get there? Parking is going to be a problem and there's limited public transport access in the surrounding area. Add on that the footpath is very narrow at the front of the site and people will be queued up onto the street most likely.

Old March 17th, 2017, 04:55 AM   #12
brettstaats222

Yeah I'm just finishing up the athletic mode seating
I also have a concern what would happen if there was an flood is their already countermeasures aginst flooding? Also what is the fa stance regarding standing areas
Old March 17th, 2017, 12:30 PM   #13
MaTTiC
mStadia.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompeyfan View Post
Talking shop for a moment, I have genuine concerns about access and egress onto the site - you've got two small access points to get 55,000 people in and out of the site. A fire or bomb could prove truly devastating and I don't see any easy way to prevent that, short of secondary access routes through Wellington Dock. Add to that - how do people get there? Parking is going to be a problem and there's limited public transport access in the surrounding area. Add on that the footpath is very narrow at the front of the site and people will be queued up onto the street most likely.
There`s a lot of assumptions and future roads plan in docks area is one of them. Of course if Everton would build a stadium in BM Dock, Regent Rd and whole area around would change a lot.

Here`s short, but important hint what City has in plan to do with this area.

Also, I`m 99% sure that "Ten Streets" program includes redevelopment of Regent Rd so don`t get attached to nowadays look (old garages, hangars, etc.) of this area.

| ★★ | ★★★
Old March 17th, 2017, 12:40 PM   #14
pompeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTTiC View Post
There`s a lot of assumptions and future roads plan in docks area is one of them. Of course if Everton would build a stadium in BM Dock, Regent Rd and whole area around would change a lot.

Here`s short, but important hint what are City`s plan for this region.

Also, I`m 99% sure that "Ten Streets" program includes redevelopment of Regent Rd so don`t get attached to nowadays look (old garages, hangars, etc.) of this area.
It goes without saying - the whole area at present is depressing. Between that and the Liverpool Waters project, there should be enough additional development to support the stadium - and I imagine greater pedestrian access to Sandhills station will improve transport links. As it stands, the project would collapse upon itself if things stayed as they are now.

Old March 17th, 2017, 04:32 PM   #15
brettstaats222

Does anyone know if eden parks retractable seating is sturdy
Old March 17th, 2017, 05:53 PM   #16
Mr_Carýzo
NC11

Likes (Received): 153

Attachment B - branding

I could have the file for SU2015 please?
I cannot update the software and have SU 2017
Mr_Carýzo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2017, 06:36 PM   #17
MaTTiC
mStadia.net

I`ve uploaded it to Warehouse and switched links in regulations

| ★★ | ★★★

Mr_Carýzo liked this post
Old March 19th, 2017, 10:59 PM   #18
MaTTiC
mStadia.net

It`s so quiet here... Don`t you have any questions or you`re not interested in competition at all?

FYI Corrected version of land plot should be ready in max. two days. Adding walls and gates was easy but hydraulic tower is a pickle...

Also, I think that it`s gonna be helpful for you guys if I`ll precise what can and can`t be done outside the walls. It`ll make you easier to plan an acces to the stadium.

Note for mod: Apologize for DP!

| ★★ | ★★★

Last edited by MaTTiC; March 20th, 2017 at 04:32 PM.
Old March 20th, 2017, 01:57 AM   #19
brettstaats222

I have a question are you doing one plus are you going to put up your models like szczecin stadium ?
Old March 21st, 2017, 03:09 PM   #20
stefan2000

Likes (Received): 159

Can we use temporary stands for the Commonwealth Games?