daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 22nd, 2017, 05:47 AM   #1
SkyscraperLover2K16

Likes (Received): 49

DISCUSSION: PROPOSED SKYSCRAPERS OF ANY HEIGHT THAT WERE NEVER BUILT

Hello Skyscraper City, I started this thread because we'll attempt to put as many unfinished skyscrapers that weren't finished as we can (aka buildings where their construction was abandoned, proposed skyscrapers that were set to be built but weren't, and proposed skyscrapers that were meant to be just visions) we can fit in one forum, and it would be interesting to hear how about how many of them we can put in the forum.

This forum will start off with the first example: the Calatrava-designed Chicago Spire would have been the tallest building in the United States and the tallest in the Western Hemisphere had it been built, also, if it had been built, it would've been America's only megatall right now, with the building's tip at 610 meters (2,000 feet). First proposed in July 2005 as the Fordham Spire, which had a different design than the Chicago Spire that was left unfinished, and the Fordham Spire (also designed by Calatrava) would have had 116 floors, a hotel and condos inside the building, and an atenna that would top the building; then in 2006, Calatrava redesigned and renamed the Fordham Spire as the Chicago Spire, a 150 floor building that would have served as an all-residential building with condos in it, and this was the Chicago Spire that got built just to be a hole in the ground; the building got approved in 2006 when it was known as the Fordham Spire, and construction started in 2007, with its foundations being built, but in late 2008, construction came to a halt due to the Great Recession, and after construction came to an abrupt halt, the Chicago Spire architect Santiago Calatrava issued an $11.3 million lien on the site, but nothing worked, and in 2014, the location of the Spire was given to Related Midwest, who decided not to build the Chicago Spire, ultimately ending the life of the Spire. There are now numerous proposals to turn the Spire site, one into a deep pool, an open-air venue, a bird sanctuary, and a tower of the same height that would replace the Spire has been proposed by the giant architecture firm Gensler among others.

Here's the link to the original Chicago Spire thread:

http://skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=434232

Here's the link to the thread for Gensler's proposal for the Chicago Spire site, known as the Gateway Tower:

http://skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1770860

The design of the Fordham Spire (not really a good picture):

A Rendering of the Chicago Spire:

2 interesting videos that show what the complete construction progress of the Chicago Spire would have been like:

Part 1. http://youtube.com/watch?v=4v5LWchzlxE
Part 2. http://youtube.com/watch?v=q-hDTX-Qgd8

TowerVerre:), Focalor liked this post

Last edited by SkyscraperLover2K16; March 23rd, 2017 at 02:05 AM.
SkyscraperLover2K16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2017, 10:48 PM   #2
A Chicagoan
I Love Chicago!

Likes (Received): 1592

The Illinois was a 5680-foot tall, 528-floor skyscraper that was planned to be built in Chicago. It was never built. Sorry, I don't have an image.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 11:51 PM   #3
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31804

See below:

The Illinois (AKA the mile high tower) was the first real conceived and proposed megatall by Frank Lloyd Wright. Now that materials and engineering technology would make it possible, wouldn't it be great if this tower were actually built? *dreams* I found these by while researching the original proposal by Wright:

SkyscraperLover2K16, bus driver liked this post
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 01:59 AM   #4
SkyscraperLover2K16

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
See below:

The Illinois (AKA the mile high tower) was the first real conceived and proposed megatall by Frank Lloyd Wright. Now that materials and engineering technology would make it possible, wouldn't it be great if this tower were actually built? *dreams* I found these by while researching the original proposal by Wright:

A fact about this never-built tower is that it also made history by serving as the building that inspired the Burj Khalifa (the current tallest building in the world) and the Jeddah Tower (which would become the tallest building in the world either if it beats the Tower (Dubai) for the title or if the Tower ends up being a little less than a kilometer tall.
SkyscraperLover2K16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 03:08 AM   #5
A Chicagoan
I Love Chicago!

Likes (Received): 1592

Nice pictures, JuanPaulo!

JuanPaulo liked this post
A Chicagoan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 08:50 PM   #6
Pals_RGB
Resigned

Likes (Received): 8056

Google India tower (720m), Infosys tower (400 m), Lanco hills tower (603m), Wadala iconic tower (500+m), Noida tower (700+m), Indra tower (300m), Century IT tower (300m), Sikka dream high (300m), Brys buzz (300m), Four seasons (355 m), DLF towers (400m x 3), DBs (6/7 supertalls) among many.

TowerVerre:) liked this post
Pals_RGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 08:52 PM   #7
Pals_RGB
Resigned

Likes (Received): 8056

I'm sure China has hundreds of proposed skyscrapers of any height which were never built.

TowerVerre:) liked this post
Pals_RGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 07:00 AM   #8
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10806

The Eatons John Maryon Tower was proposed for downtown Toronto in 1971. It would have been, by far, the tallest building in the world. It was ultimately abandoned as it was not considered possible with the technology of the day.

This was the 2nd time that Eatons proposed a building that would have been a world record breaker. In 1928, Eaton's College Park broke ground. Upon completion it would have been the largest office and retail complex in the world. Construction came to a halt in 1930 with only one corner completed due to the Great Depression.

1971: Eaton's John Maryon Tower, 140 floors, 686m

1928: Eaton's College Park, 5 million sq ft

This is as far as they got

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

A Chicagoan liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; March 26th, 2017 at 11:47 PM.
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2017, 08:09 AM   #9
Focalor

Likes (Received): 87

Azerbaijan Tower, Khazar island, Baku, Azerbaijan | 1,054 m | 3,458 ft. | 189 floors

TowerVerre:), A Chicagoan liked this post
Focalor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2017, 05:00 PM   #10
DBadger
culled

Likes (Received): 4098

Here's one I bet you don't know about. At the time it would have been the tallest structure in the world. (Not worth reading the article, no info on the tower)

At the Merry Hill Shopping Centre, Dudley, UK.

I don't think it ever progressed past this drawing.

♣ WOLVERHAMPTON [WMCA] GREATER BIRMINGHAM

A Chicagoan liked this post
DBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2017, 11:53 PM   #11
spidey7312
Pro Web Slinger

Likes (Received): 547

Ameritrust Center, Cleveland Ohio, 365 meters/1198 feet, 63 floors.

Planned for a 1991 completion, it would have become the tallest building in the USA outside NYC and Chicago. The buildings standing on the site were demolished to make way for the tower but then Ameritrust was absorbed into Society Bank which cancelled the tower because they were already building a headquarters for themselves nearby, which became Key Tower after Society Bank was itself absorbed into KeyCorp.

http://www.clevelandskyscrapers.com/...meritrust3.jpg

http://www.clevelandskyscrapers.com/...meritrust1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/k9bO0x7.jpg

It's unfortunate it wasn't built but I personally think the 289 meter (948 feet) Key Tower (which ended up becoming the tallest instead) looks a whole lot better.

http://www.clevelandskyscrapers.com/...ndom2013_4.jpg

Sorry about the size of the last image, I can't remember how to limit it.
spidey7312 no está en línea   Reply With Quote