daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 23rd, 2017, 02:36 AM   #1
SkyscraperLover2K16

Likes (Received): 49

UNKNOWN | The Arconic Tower | 4800m | 15748ft | Vision

I'm surprised that no one has made a thread about this, today, I was researching and I ran across the article that can be seen a few lines below (it's the first one), and this skyscraper vision blew me away due to several factors (height, new window technology, and the fact that it will be constructed by 3d-printers if it gets built) and I'm pretty sure not many from SkyscraperCity know about this; anyways here's the skyscraper that is being talked about:

*Keep in mind that this is just a vision for now, and this skyscraper or one that contains similarities to this could be built in the future in an unknown location

First Article by The Independent:

This three-mile-high skyscraper design is coated in self-cleaning material that eats smog

By Chris Weller, Wednesday 11 January 2017 19:22 GMT

2017 only just arrived, but one manufacturing company is already looking 45 years into the future.

Arconic, a materials science company, has envisioned a three-mile-high skyscraper built from materials that are either in-development or have already been brought to market, including smog-eating surfaces and retractable balconies.

The tower was concocted as part of the company's larger campaign known as "The Jetsons," an homage to the 1962 cartoon set in 2062. Arconic's engineers worked alongside futurists to imagine the technologies that will be most useful several decades from now.

Sherri McCleary, one of Arconic's chief materials scientists, says one of the most exciting and immediate projects is EcoClean, a special coating that helps buildings self-clean and purify the surrounding air. It was first released in 2011 and offers a number of benefits over traditional pane glass windows, McCleary says.

"The functional coating provides aesthetics, it provides maintenance benefits, and it also provides a benefit to the surrounding environment by reducing the content of pollutants around it," she tells Business Insider.

EcoClean works with help from light and water vapor, which mix with the chemicals in the coating to produce atoms known as free radicals. These free radicals pull in pollutants from the air and break them down to get sloughed off the side of the building along with dirt and grime — almost like dead skin.

The end result is a cleaner building surrounded by cleaner air.

Another innovation is in the windows themselves, which Arconic also hopes could be a part of the three-mile-high tower. The new design is called Bloomframe. Essentially, it's a motorized window that converts into an all-glass balcony in under a minute.

Arconic has been showcasing the technology at trade shows around the world and will hit the market in the "near future," a company spokesperson says.

Rather than spend twice the money on materials to build separate windows and ledges, Arconic wants to invest in flexible components that can make buildings more than just static giants.

Skyscrapers built from 3D-printed materials could stretch more than three miles in the sky, Arconic says. Arconic

Some of Arconic's other futuristic designs include flying cars, ultra-lightweight car bodies, and aerodynamic airplane wings.

In the meantime, it continues working to push the limits of what modern-day skyscrapers can look like and do. Thanks to 3D printing, McCleary says many structures that aren't currently feasible could withstand high winds and unique climates.

"We're looking at optimizing the materials that can be 3D-printed to give more and more options to designers and architects," she says.

Second article by the Daily Mail:

Would you live in a 3-MILE-high smog-eating skyscraper? Architects say they could 3D-print one by 2062

The skyscraper is the vision of Arconic, a materials science company based in New York, as part of its larger campaign called The Jetsons – an homage to the 1962 cartoon, set in 2062.

The team has envisioned the Arconic tower – a three-mile-high skyscraper created using materials that are either in-development or have already been brought to market.

As well as being staggeringly tall, the tower will also have futuristic features, including smog-eating surfaces, and retractable balconies.

Arconic is currently working on a project called EcoClean, a special coating that allows building to self-clean and purify the surrounding air.

Sherri McCleary, one of Arconic's chief materials scientists, told Business Insider: 'The functional coating provides aesthetics, it provides maintenance benefits, and it also provides a benefit to the surrounding environment by reducing the content of pollutants around it.'

EcoClean uses a mix of chemicals, which use both light and water vapour to produce atoms known as free radicals.

These free radicals draw in pollutants in the air, breaking them down before they are shedded off the side of the building.

The end result is a cleaner building surrounded by cleaner air.

The windows themselves will also feature new technology, called Bloomframe – a motorised window that can convert into a glass balcony in just 60 seconds.

The firm has already showcased the Bloomframe technology at several trade shows, and hopes it will become available to buy in the near future.

Fitting in with The Jetsons theme, the firm is also working on flying cars, featuring ultra-lightweight car bodies and airplane wings.

Ms McCleary added: 'We're looking at optimising the materials that can be 3D-printed to give more and more options to designers and architects.'

A Rendering of the three-mile tall skyscraper:

A rendering of some floors of the building with the Bloomframe concept:

A rendering of the future San Francisco skyline with the building in the background:

Last edited by SkyscraperLover2K16; March 23rd, 2017 at 07:07 AM.
SkyscraperLover2K16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2017, 02:48 AM   #2
SkyscraperLover2K16

Likes (Received): 49

I just noticed that this building is taller than the previous tallest envisioned building, the X-Seed 4000, so the Arconic Tower is the tallest building ever envisoned.

_ph_ liked this post
SkyscraperLover2K16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 05:05 AM   #3
FloripaNation
Não creio no que não vejo

Likes (Received): 11193

Old March 23rd, 2017, 11:12 AM   #4
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

No doubt, it looks pretty cool.
ZZ-II está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 12:04 PM   #5
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8231

I am not a big fan of the top. It looks a bit overdesigned and i wish they would have kept it more symmetric

Zaz965 liked this post
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 08:18 PM   #6
Copperknickers

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscraperLover2K16 View Post
I just noticed that this building is taller than the previous tallest envisioned building, the X-Seed 4000, so the Arconic Tower is the tallest building ever envisoned.
'Envisioned' by an unknown person for an unknown location using unknown technology. Can I envision a building that is 4801m tall? I guess that would be the tallest envisioned, if I envision it. Am envisioning now. Wow... that's a nice envision. Wish you guys could see it.

zwischbl, doguorsi2, Maciek M liked this post
Copperknickers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 11:30 PM   #7
SomeKindOfBug

Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperknickers View Post
'Envisioned' by an unknown person for an unknown location using unknown technology. Can I envision a building that is 4801m tall? I guess that would be the tallest envisioned, if I envision it. Am envisioning now. Wow... that's a nice envision. Wish you guys could see it.
I can imagine your imaginary building and it is probably amazing.

Copperknickers, frabe.81 liked this post
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 01:06 AM   #8
jhalsey

Likes (Received): 181

San Francisco might not be the best city for it.

FM 2258 liked this post
jhalsey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 09:22 PM   #9
Intrepidity

Likes (Received): 42

While very cool looking, I'm just going to come out and say it: never gonna happen.

HBC liked this post
Intrepidity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 10:19 PM   #10
meteoforumitalia

Likes (Received): 10964

I think it would look much taller than that, if really 4800 m

Ivan the Immigrant liked this post
meteoforumitalia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 10:36 PM   #11
d.henney

Likes (Received): 476

Is that the Star Trek United Federation of Planetes headquarter building? ;P

Same tower, different location?

https://www.artstation.com/artist/mattmatters

Nice from the top!

the tower appears in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37waZeR4isc

Orion602, Leeooo, DzhendoyanV liked this post

Last edited by d.henney; March 24th, 2017 at 10:45 PM.
d.henney no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 12:33 AM   #12
ballom

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.henney View Post
Is that the Star Trek United Federation of Planetes headquarter building? ;P

Same tower, different location?

Nice from the top!

If this wasn' so stupidly extremely overdesigned, wanky and freaking physicaly ridiculous the overall design and shape of the tower could be awesome

The second half of the tower have actually a really nice shape

meteoforumitalia liked this post
ballom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 06:49 AM   #13
Santywatashi
:D

Likes (Received): 1200

idk why but looks like something straight out of zootopia

enjoi liked this post
Santywatashi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 10:36 AM   #14
blacktrojan3921
Yes, that is my face~

Likes (Received): 88

And of course, it's basically an Acrophobic's hell on earth if they are forced to live in there.
blacktrojan3921 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 11:03 AM   #15
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57864

Jeez, it looks so fragile, I'd never even consider taking a footstep in such a building.
Nice playful vision though.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 01:18 PM   #16
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1548

Interesting
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 06:02 PM   #17
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8231

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.henney View Post
Yeah, so not really vision, but more like fiction. They designed these to make a world similar to a cartoon.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2017, 10:39 AM   #18
Ultros
Evil Octopussy

Likes (Received): 318

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhalsey View Post
San Francisco might not be the best city for it.
Building the tallest structure ever, in an earthquake-prone part of the world.. what could possibly go wrong? But the biggest problem is that SF's real estate market would probably make each unit in that tower cost a minimum of a billion dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepidity View Post
While very cool looking, I'm just going to come out and say it: never gonna happen.
Oh don't be such a downer, it looks perfectly feasible. Just look at the way the upper portions of the tower are supported by empty air and require constant elevator changes. I'd pay big $$$ to live/work at the top and have every trip down to buy groceries become a pilgrimage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscraperLover2K16 View Post
Not really, I'm currently envisioning a tower twice as tall and as equally realistic. And if someone envisions anything taller, I'll envision mine even taller.

doguorsi2 liked this post
Ultros no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2017, 12:17 PM   #19
ballom

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultros View Post
Building the tallest structure ever, in an earthquake-prone part of the world.. what could possibly go wrong?
Well Taipei 101 wich was at his time the tallest skyscraper was built in a very sismic active area.

But yeah , build a tower that look so freaking fragile in an area where we're expecting one day a big one .....
ballom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2017, 03:44 PM   #20
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15902

Vision

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.

Zaz965 liked this post
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote