daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 8th, 2017, 11:58 AM   #21
mapece

Likes (Received): 522

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandru.mircea View Post
The decoration can be an integral part of a building, which doesn't actually mean that it is part of its architecture. A building is a creation for whose accomplishement architecture, painting, sculpture, and various decorative arts (tapestry, mosaic, ceramic, marquetry etc) concur. The architect does have to master the harmonious deploying of all these arts that aren't architecture - in this, he is very similar to the film director, who oversees the work of the writer and scriptwriter, of the storyboardist, of the "photographer" / camera operator, of the set designers (which includes the entire array of plastic and decorative art disciplines), of the music composer, and of the performers (actors), without having to be a master of all these arts himself.

In this particular case the architecture of the Sistine Chapel can be better seen in the images kindly posted by JMGA196: I'd say it's decent but nothing special by the standards of the High Renaissance. The fact that its vaults and then one of the vertical walls were later used as support for what turned out to be one of humanity's supreme expressions is rather incidental, and Michelangelo paintings are not even really integral to the building. Finally, Michelangelo's achievements there do not "score points" for the Sistine Chapel architect or his creation; but they do all match-up into a great artistic landmark to which the greatest contribution is by far that of the painter.
thank you, tha was exactly what I meant.
mapece no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 9th, 2017, 02:57 AM   #22
JMGA196

Likes (Received): 5158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture lover View Post
Yeah, and your argument was? Because I can't spot a constructive argument over your post. In fact, I've never read anything more subjective and contradictory in the same time. Also this type of threads appear rather tiring, the same old people discussing the same old stuff. I just can't wait for @erbse to come and stick around, trying to convince us that modern architecture is awfully scary, and that it actually has political backgrounds and politicians with their world orders and aliens and sparks and such creative stuff. It is said that Classical architecture with faux limestone is the only way to save ourselves from such frightening world dominations and orders. PVC windows could help us too, and Stern is The New Savior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
We also need to protect our architectural heritage (unless it's mid-century, then feel free to tear down whatever you want)
I don't know what's worse. People that glorify RAMSA's faux art deco cheap plastic designs, or you guys glorifying mediocre prefabricated concrete/steel structures that look like abstract compositions from a first year architecture student. Most of these buildings are easily replaceable, hardly relevant and as I always say, they completely ignore the context and cultural background of the place they stand in. I really try not to make stupid generalizations, but come on, a good part of buildings from the 1950s to nowadays are just like that.

Should we all praise Calatrava because he discovered that some white repeating elements look kinda cool? Should we call Zaha the greatest ever because she hired a group of engineers that managed to build her shapeless figures? Does Mies actually deserves to be listed among the greatests ever because he literally built a 140 m2 crystal box?

I'm not saying every modern building/style/architect is garbage, there are many that I consider amazing, but what world do you want to live in? A world rich in culture, history and heritage moving towards the future, where every place is different and feel a unique sense of identity and belonging? or a globalized world, a blend of nothing, where everyone and everything looks the same?

Mimar Sinan - Sebastian Treese - Sejima - Nishizawa - Pawson - Horia Creangă - McKim, Mead & White - Gord Scott - Peter Pennoyer - Charles Hilton - Annabelle Selldorf - Roman and Williams - Morris Adjmi - Diller Scofidio + Renfro

★★★ MAKE ARCHITECTURE GREAT AGAIN! ★★★

Last edited by JMGA196; April 9th, 2017 at 03:11 AM.
JMGA196 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2017, 03:36 AM   #23
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Cities will inevitably start to look more similar as the world gets more connected and unnationalized. Most of the old buildings in Europe looked the same when Europeans mostly stayed in that part of the world.

Can you tell which European countries these cities are in? They are all different and spread from all across Europe

[img]https://us.*****.com/450wm/gary718/gary7180803/gary718080300008/2644442-vue-aerienne-de-la-place-de-la-vieille-ville-a-prague-quartier-du-haut-de-la-mairie.jpg[/img]

alexandru.mircea liked this post

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; April 9th, 2017 at 03:41 AM.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote