daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 22nd, 2006, 08:38 AM   #301
Pax Sinica
Rise of SERES

Likes (Received): 0

Chinese have been finding methods to control the flooding of rivers in the past over 4000 years. The founder of Xia dynasty, the first dynasty in Chinese history, are still glorified now because of his contribution in flood control.
Pax Sinica no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2006, 08:47 AM   #302
didu
Lord of the Ring

Likes (Received): 4

To be honest, I'm not sure I support the building of this dam, especially after reading all the opposing views, basically there are three major benefits this dam can bring:

(1) large quantity (3% of all of China's electricity) of hydro-power which is clean.
(2) flood control
(3) increased shipping capabilities -- from 10 million tons to 50 millions tons per year

However, there are just too many signficant problems:

(a) The silt and sedimentation accumulation will raise the bottom of the dam and the river, thereby reducing the dam's ability to carry out flood control and shipping-- this would reduce the benefits of (2) and (3). The current technology used by the dam to solve this problem has not been proven (or disproven).
(b) The dam sits on a sesmic fault line -- if the dam were to burst, that would be the end of the richest part of China.
(c) the quality of the dam may be very low due to corruption.

Honestly, I don't know what to think.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:35 AM   #303
letsgo

Likes (Received): 0

To west medias:
Yes, we built a dam which is bigger than yours.
We understand this may post some threats to your propaganda business. So we provide you a solution: find a wall and hit it.
letsgo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:09 AM   #304
conc.man

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by didu
However, there are just too many signficant problems:

(a) The silt and sedimentation accumulation will raise the bottom of the dam and the river, thereby reducing the dam's ability to carry out flood control and shipping-- this would reduce the benefits of (2) and (3). The current technology used by the dam to solve this problem has not been proven (or disproven).
(b) The dam sits on a sesmic fault line -- if the dam were to burst, that would be the end of the richest part of China.
(c) the quality of the dam may be very low due to corruption.
Corruption will bring a higher quality, If my boss bribes me with some holidays or more salary, I will surely do a better job.

As your (a/b/c) have mentioned, I had to say the problem is not the dam itself. It is the media bring some bad imagination to common people without any concepts about a real engineering project. I remember some Chinese media even say those samll crannies on the Sanxia dam is quality accident. That's really joking. They don't know all concrete solid have crannies. If one day they find most highrise buildings have deformation joints or aseismatic joints, I guess they will be very scared at the fact buildings are not complete firm unit as they thought.
conc.man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:15 AM   #305
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

Likes (Received): 6

I understand where all the forumers are coming from. Some criticised the dam construction because people were asked to leave their land. Whether it is a lie that the Chinese government hasnt done enough to secure those who left their homes is indeed arguable. Havind said that, we should be grateful to the media who reported the traumas faced by these people. The local government officers who are involved in persecuting the people should be prosecuted. No doubt about that.

Nonetheless, a crucial question here is, if China does not build a huge dam like this to provide electricity to its huge population, what are the other options should China go for? Build massive nuclear power plants? We all know the latter is certainly the worse option than the first.
Lastresorter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:23 AM   #306
Saigoneseguy
Vivat capitalismus

Likes (Received): 106

Don't put Vietnam into your never-ending discussion, China invaded Vietnam coz Vietnam invaded Cambodia, Vietnam invaded Cambodia because we wanted to topple out the Khmer Rouge when the US and China were shaking hands and nobody gives a damn about Khmer Rouge atrocites. Now it seems the situation has changed but DON'T bring Vietnam into this
Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:10 PM   #307
wigo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio
I wouldnt be too sure about that.
then you are just an idiot, period.

Last edited by wigo; May 22nd, 2006 at 06:49 PM.
wigo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:33 PM   #308
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4202

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigo
then you are just an idiot, period.
Quote:
The overriding principle of this world is NATIONAL INTEREST, not democracy or human rights. Hence a good country always STAYS AWAY FROM other countries, while a bad one always CARES ABOUT others.
Do you actually believe in that?

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Last edited by goschio; May 22nd, 2006 at 07:38 PM.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 08:47 PM   #309
wigo
BANNED

Quote:
Do you actually believe in that?
We have seen Russia bankrupted under the euphology of the west, is that enough?

So stay away from us. And I am not interested in Germany.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:12 PM   #310
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Likes (Received): 1355

Quote:
Originally Posted by conc.man
Corruption will bring a higher quality, If my boss bribes me with some holidays or more salary, I will surely do a better job.
"Sorry, your concrete doesn't meet our quality standards."
"Will it meet your quality standards, if I give some thousand dollars in cash? Think of your wife, and your children. You have to pay their education somehow."
"Erm...under these circumstances...ok. We take it."

One imaginary example of corruption. Corruption undermines fairness, working and quality standards and harms the whole economy while it benefits only the people directly involved in the bribery.
DiggerD21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 04:13 AM   #311
General Huo

Likes (Received): 440

come on, guys. we should really not care about some joke western media or haters' biased reports or propaganda against TGD or China. This is our moment, let's enjoy it and let losers crying hard.

Three gorge dam is just the dawn, not dusk of ambitious plans to build giant dams in China. in next 10-20 years, China will and is building 100 new big dams on Yangtse river and its branches upstream Three Gorge.

CHEERS!

匈奴未灭,无以家为也! 汉冠军侯景桓侯骠骑大将军大司马霍去病
General Huo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:05 AM   #312
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4202

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigo
We have seen Russia bankrupted under the euphology of the west, is that enough?

So stay away from us. And I am not interested in Germany.
So its the fault of the west that russia bancrupted? If you dont know, it was communims that didnt work out.

China realised that as well and transfomed its economy toward a market economy.

And dont think that china did this alone. It got lots of help and advice from western countries. Many institutions are designed after western models.

So what you are saying is quite ignorant.

I think countries should work together and learn from each other. I am sure that western countries, like Germany, can learn alot from china as well. Nobody has to do the same mistakes other countries already did. Western countries have alot of knowledge about environmental issues. And indeed the chinese government is very interested in it. China cant afford to do the same mistakes. Its population is much higher and progress is much faster.

Anyway, great project!

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 04:58 PM   #313
wigo
BANNED

Quote:
So its the fault of the west that russia bancrupted? If you dont know, it was communims that didnt work out.

China realised that as well and transfomed its economy toward a market economy.

And dont think that china did this alone. It got lots of help and advice from western countries. Many institutions are designed after western models.

So what you are saying is quite ignorant.
Sorry you are dodging the key point. There are different ways to transform communist economy, the way praised by west failed miserably. While the one successed is still constantly cursed by west. BTW, you need to know that communist system enabled China to establish an industrial system from ground zero, and under west embargo.

Quote:

I think countries should work together and learn from each other. I am sure that western countries, like Germany, can learn alot from china as well. Nobody has to do the same mistakes other countries already did. Western countries have alot of knowledge about environmental issues. And indeed the chinese government is very interested in it. China cant afford to do the same mistakes. Its population is much higher and progress is much faster.
I really don't have problem with any country. However, it is very annoying to notice that every time when west says something about China, it appears that China is the most horrible place on earth. To be honest, the more we see this, the less we have problem with CCP.

Anyway, I guess this is the fact that we have to live with, cheers.