daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 5th, 2005, 12:25 AM   #41
dewback

Likes (Received): 1

Ugh, hopefully it won't cause a disaster.

Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2005, 12:45 AM   #42
General Huo

Likes (Received): 442

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm
People are protesting this project for one of three main reasons:

1 - Over 2 million people are being re-located by force, including some villages that have been in the same spot virtually untouched by civilization and technology for thousands of years. And the housing that they are building for these people is considered a "step down" in quality at best.

2 - The Three Gorges is not only naturally beautiful, but it's a huge tourist draw. And now it's going to be underwater.

3 - The reservoir the dam is creating just might be the most polluted body of water on earth, because not only are they not clearing out man-made infrastructure, they're dumping all kinds of raw industrial waste and toxins into it like it's a giant sewer. The reservoir has just begun to fill up and even by its own government standards, it's polluted... badly.

BONUS 4 - This dam is 600 feet tall and a mile wide. And during construction they've found massive cracks in it. God forbid if this dam ever failed it would make previous Yangtze floods look like a picnic.

** I'm not saying I agree with these arguments and that the pros outweigh the cons, I just thought I'd put these up for people to think about.
Pure lies.

“匈奴未灭,无以家为也!” 汉冠军侯景桓侯骠骑大将军大司马霍去病
General Huo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2005, 12:45 AM   #43
magz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haber
Tell that to the 200,000 + people who were killed when those dams burst.
I'd like to tell you who are going to be killed in the next car accident when you're walking on the street.
magz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2005, 05:11 PM   #44
metallinestorm

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Tell that to the 200,000 + people who were killed when those dams burst.
wow, are you a terrorist? can you tell me how to get a nuclear bomb and how to fix it in the dam?
metallinestorm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2005, 06:33 PM   #45
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

have to wonder if some of you get the news when we see such big denials
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2005, 07:42 PM   #46
SYDNEY

Likes (Received):

I would like to see a sattellite photo of before the dam was built and then after the dam was built - does anybody have one ?
Old July 6th, 2005, 03:58 AM   #47
Haber

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallinestorm
wow, are you a terrorist? can you tell me how to get a nuclear bomb and how to fix it in the dam?
Wow, I think I'll spend some time to clarify all this. I don't think you guys got what I was saying. I'm saying this project is a disaster waiting to happen because it is built in an earthquake zone. I was making reference to the Shimantan and Banqiao dam disasters. Those dams were poorly run and burst. The ensuing flash flood killed over 200,000 people.

The point I was making is that sure it will prevent flooding in that area which hurt a few thousand people, but because it is built in a unstable area when it bursts many more people will die. It's history repeating itself.
Haber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2005, 04:00 AM   #48
Haber

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Huo
Pure lies.
So you actually believe that nationalist propaganda. Wow you are naive.
Haber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2005, 06:40 AM   #49
General Huo

Likes (Received): 442

Quote:
I believe the truth, your dumb.

BTW, you should first tell those americans living in the washington state, that grand coulee dam is built in the earthquake prone western coast of america. They are doomed. Run, run for their lives, LOL liar.

“匈奴未灭,无以家为也!” 汉冠军侯景桓侯骠骑大将军大司马霍去病
General Huo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2005, 06:47 AM   #50
LacLongQuan
BANNED

Damn I wonder what'll be the consequence if the damn burst under pressure or a foreign power decide to bomb it.
LacLongQuan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2005, 10:46 AM   #51
metallinestorm

Quote:
Wow, I think I'll spend some time to clarify all this. I don't think you guys got what I was saying. I'm saying this project is a disaster waiting to happen because it is built in an earthquake zone. I was making reference to the Shimantan and Banqiao dam disasters. Those dams were poorly run and burst. The ensuing flash flood killed over 200,000 people.

The point I was making is that sure it will prevent flooding in that area which hurt a few thousand people, but because it is built in a unstable area when it bursts many more people will die. It's history repeating itself.
you are wrong, Yangtse river is very big and china lost more than 2000 people and over 120 billion US dollars because of the big flood in 1998. if the dam break down that is a big problem, but comparer with US Russia or Chinese nuclear weapon depository that is nothing. by the way, who tell you that area is unstable, in fact Yangtse river cut off that mountain area so we can see three gorge now, that area must not changed by earthquake millions years, experts worried about the big reservoir can change this or not.

Last edited by metallinestorm; July 6th, 2005 at 11:01 AM.
Old July 6th, 2005, 10:53 AM   #52
metallinestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LacLongQuan
Damn I wonder what'll be the consequence if the damn burst under pressure or a foreign power decide to bomb it.
maybe no country decide bomb it only terrorist want do that. bomb it must use nuclear bomb and use advanced ICBM. there only few country has that ability. but if do that, Chinese army must retaliate it and use their ICBM and load nuclear bomb. no one want see and accept that.
Old July 6th, 2005, 08:52 PM   #53
[Kees]
Kees

Likes (Received): 45

This project is amazing!
Old July 6th, 2005, 11:34 PM   #54
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Pure lies.
Quote:
The truth probably falls somewhere in between the ignorance of the Western media and the state-run Chinese news agencies. Yes people are being relocated, but it's probably not as horrible as the West would have you believe. Yes large cracks have been found in the dam during construction, but I'm pretty sure no one has ever built a concrete dam without a few. As far as the water quality goes, even CCTV reported that the reservoir water was failing inspections for cleanliness, so that I tend to believe.

@ Haber - I'd be willing to bet the Three Gorges won't suffer the same fate as the two dams you mentioned back in the 60s. Beijing knows the TGD is a symbol of national pride, and also that failure of the dam would be a nightmare of epic proportions not only envioronmentally but politically.

@ metallinestorm - I believe the '98 flood cost the government somewhere between $20 and $30 Billion U.S. dollars, which is why the cost of the dam was easily justified.
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2005, 11:44 PM   #55
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
I believe the truth, your dumb.

BTW, you should first tell those americans living in the washington state, that grand coulee dam is built in the earthquake prone western coast of america. They are doomed. Run, run for their lives, LOL liar.
Well yea but this damn is way bigger and is sitting on a fault
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2005, 04:24 AM   #56
metallinestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm

@ metallinestorm - I believe the '98 flood cost the government somewhere between $20 and $30 Billion U.S. dollars, which is why the cost of the dam was easily justified.
$30 billion? the data i say come from Discovery not Chinese media. In fact, many people said may more than that, China media said we used nearly all Chinese soldier and resource near the Yangtse river to protect big cities. Wuhan,Nanjing,Shanghai are right but many other area in Hubei Jiangxi Jiangsu Zhejiang in big trouble, only Zhejiang Jiangsu and Shanghai ( jiangzhe area)GDP is about $250 billion in that year, now is about $400 billion if use PPP that is much much bigger, according to Weat media may $1200 billion, over 1/5 of China, add Wuhan and other provinces it may 1/3 of China, so China need a great dam.
Old July 8th, 2005, 06:27 AM   #57
xeror

Likes (Received): 33

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting
xeror no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2005, 08:26 AM   #58
7 World Trade
Long live the Twins!

looks imposing, but the dam looks kinda crude. hopefully later construction would change that. the idea that the dam would burst is pure b.s. though. the last thing they would do is a shroudy construction job on a dam that they have been boasting about for years.

i find it hard to trust both the biased views that western media have on china and china's own claims about events within its borders. i really wish that we can get unbiased, non-exaggerated information on what positive/negative impact does this project have on the chinese people. but i guess that'll be hard to come by as china and the u.s. escalate their fight against each other for economic dominance.
The Ground Zero Rebuilding Scandal- Justin Berzon's complete story of the WTC rebuilding scandal
Proud fan of NASCAR drivers Kevin Harvick and Scott Wimmer
7 World Trade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2005, 12:04 PM   #59
Van der Rohe
mies fan

Likes (Received): 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 World Trade
i find it hard to trust both the biased views that western media have on china and china's own claims about events within its borders. i really wish that we can get unbiased, non-exaggerated information on what positive/negative impact does this project have on the chinese people. but i guess that'll be hard to come by as china and the u.s. escalate their fight against each other for economic dominance.
I fully agree.
Van der Rohe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2005, 03:16 PM   #60
metallinestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 World Trade
looks imposing, but the dam looks kinda crude. hopefully later construction would change that. the idea that the dam would burst is pure b.s. though. the last thing they would do is a shroudy construction job on a dam that they have been boasting about for years.

in fact, this bigget one still underconstruction, many work need do, we can just see a rudiment now.
IMO, everyone has his own view about this project, that is my right. goverment and media do many things persuade some people change his view so they can do their works and make money. IMO china need hear scientists' advice and do more work for a bare possibility, chinese must prepare for disaster which may never happen, others has no business.
i thanks all people care about chinese but many people just know this dam's negative side. It's a cost china need pay, we need a dam to make sure Yangtse river not destroy the cities towns and villages near it year by year.

Last edited by metallinestorm; July 10th, 2005 at 03:23 PM.