daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 5th, 2006, 11:25 PM   #101
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss the Rain
um. lets see, rich getting benefit and poors get left out. I thought that was precisely the philosophy of america, so why would you care?
Yes, this does tend to happen quite often in the U.S., which is something I happen to care deeply about. But pointing that out does nothing to affect my original point about the Three Gorges Dam. Don't attempt to divert criticism of your own country's problems by pointing out the problems of another country. It's very disingenuous. So instead of making overly-defensive and illusory attacks that do nothing to advance the debate, why don't you try formulating a civilized, substantive response.

Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2006, 11:15 AM   #102
didu
Lord of the Ring

Likes (Received): 4

you don't have the moral high grounds to criticize other people who you are guilty of the same crime yourself.
Old May 6th, 2006, 11:29 AM   #103
Kiss the Rain
WoyaoDaJb

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by didu
you don't have the moral high grounds to criticize other people who you are guilty of the same crime yourself.
Well said.
Old May 6th, 2006, 12:30 PM   #104
warcry
LONDON ROCKS!

Likes (Received): 0

terribly sorry wrong dam

i think the one i was talking of was in taiwan or somewhere

Last edited by warcry; May 6th, 2006 at 03:38 PM.
warcry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 12:52 PM   #105
didu
Lord of the Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by warcry
is this the dam which is killing the bottle nosed dolphin population off?
as the bottle nosed dolphin lives in the sea and the dam is built on a fresh
water river inside china, the answer to your question is no.

Quote:
is this the dam which is killing millions of fish?
as building the dam doesn't require posioning fish to begin with, the answer
to your question is no.

Quote:
is this the dam which is causing the people who live in t

he forests to die of stavation beacuse the is no fish.
as people who lived in the dam area lived in villages and small towns, there
were no people who lived in the forest, so i guess to your question is no.

Quote:
is this the dam which cost 235 people there lives beacuse they were underpayed and not looked after!
as no one has died buiding this dam, the answer to your question is no.

Quote:
is this the dam that the chinese built for no GOOD REASON ON EARTH APART FROM A ******* BIT MORE ELECTRICITY!
if wanting a bit more electricity is not a good reason for building a dam for a
country that's lacking power, then ... the answer to your question is yes.

have you taken your reality pill today? or the big men in white coats haven't
come to see you today?
Old May 6th, 2006, 03:37 PM   #106
warcry
LONDON ROCKS!

well thanks for clearing that up

it must be another dam i was thinking of and a different dolphin something about a dam was threatening some sort of dolphin i thought it was in china so thats all
Old May 6th, 2006, 04:54 PM   #107
Rem

Likes (Received): 8

Huge reservoirs by their nature alter the ecosystem and threaten some habitats while helping other habitats. The Chinese River Dolphin and the Chinese Paddlefish, for example, are on the edge of extinction and will lose habitat and suffer divided populations to the dam. Of the 3,000 to 4,000 remaining critically endangered Siberian Crane, approximately 95% currently winter in wetlands that will be destroyed by the Three Gorges Dam.

While logging in the area was required for construction which adds to erosion, stopping the periodic uncontrolled river flooding will lessen erosion in the long run. The build up of silt in the reservoir will, however, reduce the amount of silt transported by the Yangtze River to the Yangtze Delta.

Cities such as Shanghai need ever increasing electricity to power its new modern skyline. With 26 HEP Turbines generating 18000 megawatts of electricity, This Dam will be a huge benefit to this power shortage.

The long term benefits are not so promising, as eventually the dam will fill up with sediment producing less electricity.
Rem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 05:01 PM   #108
didu
Lord of the Ring

the dam is on the river in which the fresh water white fin dolphins live. these dolphins
have been on the endangered list for china for 27 years and china has done
everything it can to save these animals. there were supposedly about 13 of them left
before the dam's construction began. for the dam, they've built carefully engineered
special tunnels to allow them pass freely. if the dolphins become distinct, it would be
very sad but it wouldn't be the fault of the dam which is going to provide 10% of the
electricity for china.
Old May 6th, 2006, 10:28 PM   #109
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Quote:
Originally Posted by didu
Are you serious? By your "logic," essentially no one in the entire world--save for a few saintly people--could criticize anyone else for anything, because basically all of us have f*cked up at one time or another. What kind of a ridiculous world would that be? I have a very hard time believing you abide by such an untenable principle.
Old May 6th, 2006, 10:44 PM   #110
wigo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

The proposal for three gorge dam was raised approximately 100 years ago, and the feasibility research was initiated 1930s although stoped because of Anti-Jap war, but was reconducted from 1950s to 1990s, until the plan was passed by National congress. Essentially all of the questions, such as endangered species, sendimentation, emigration and even nuclear strike were seriously addressed. I don't believe that there is any other hydroppower project has even been subject to this intensive and lengthy research as three gorge dam.

Last edited by wigo; May 7th, 2006 at 02:44 AM.
wigo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2006, 11:00 PM   #111
wigo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrogen
Are you serious? By your "logic," essentially no one in the entire world--save for a few saintly people--could criticize anyone else for anything, because basically all of us have f*cked up at one time or another. What kind of a ridiculous world would that be? I have a very hard time believing you abide by such an untenable principle.
You know, as US shock therapyed Russia, it bankrupted Russia. And by your fantastic China-bashing logic, I can turn down your whole country. So, stay away from China, dude.
wigo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 02:12 AM   #112
Crispy

Three Gorges Dam

I think that China did the right thing for its people in building this magnificent dam, and I think that it is doing the right thing in building nuclear power plants. The situation is simple: (1) Energy is needed; (2) dams and nuclear power plants are the most efficient, the cleanest and the overall best way to provide the needed energy. Also, there is no danager of invaders successfully destroying the dam, simply because missiles can be placed nearby to prevent this. In essence, the Chinese government, in regard to providing energy for its people, is doing an absolutely outstanding job. The same could not be said of many other governments.
Crispy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 02:16 AM   #113
Modernization
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy
I think that China did the right thing for its people in building this magnificent dam, and I think that it is doing the right thing in building nuclear power plants. The situation is simple: (1) Energy is needed; (2) dams and nuclear power plants are the most efficient, the cleanest and the overall best way to provide the needed energy. Also, there is no danager of invaders successfully destroying the dam, simply because missiles can be placed nearby to prevent this. In essence, the Chinese government, in regard to providing energy for its people, is doing an absolutely outstanding job. The same could not be said of many other governments.
Thank you for realzing the postive side of this project. How is the construction going?
Modernization no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 02:17 AM   #114
Sen

Likes (Received): 24

who cares about dolphins? the people are more important, some people never cease to amaze me.
Sen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 02:18 AM   #115
Sen

Quote:
Most of the benefits will be reaped by relatively affluent city-dwellers rather than the poor.
city dwellers dont die when the river floods, villages do.
Old May 7th, 2006, 02:20 AM   #116
Sen

Quote:
Fascinating project. It's just unfortunate that so many ancient villages and temples that are part of China's history had to be abandoned and destroyed to make way for the rising waters created by the dam.
it's sad some historical monuments have to be flooded/moved, but we are also building history, this dam will amaze more people than whatever is destroyed to build this dam.
Old May 7th, 2006, 02:22 AM   #117
Modernization
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen
who cares about dolphins? the people are more important, some people never cease to amaze me.
White dolphins are important because they're considered endangered species. China has the most people in the world i guess losing a few won't matter to them. that's just me though
Old May 7th, 2006, 02:25 AM   #118
i_am_hydrogen
muted

I'm actuallly torn both ways by this project. I've read a lot about it. It has advantages as well as disadvantages. Please don't assume my criticism of the Three Gorges Dam translates into dislike for China in general. I happen to be extremely fascinated by China and its history and hope to visit sometime in the future.
Old May 7th, 2006, 02:29 AM   #119
Modernization
BANNED

Quote:
I'm actuallly torn both ways by this project. I've read a lot about it. It has advantages as well as disadvantages. Please don't assume my criticism of the Three Gorges Dam translates into dislike for China in general. I happen to be extremely fascinated by China and its history and hope to visit sometime in the future.
more advantages than disad..
Old May 7th, 2006, 02:34 AM   #120
xAKxRUSx

Likes (Received): 7021

I think a lot are missing the point...

What is better? A bunch of coal plants or oil plants or a dam?

There is going to be an environmental inpact with anything... and I think a dam is better than coal or oil... Especially today.

We can learn from the Aswan High Dam in Egypt. It did a lot of good things for Egypt.
Yes, there was some environmental impact... but imagine if they built a bunch of coal plants there instead?
xAKxRUSx no está en línea   Reply With Quote