daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 5th, 2017, 04:31 PM   #21
ELH

Likes (Received): 597

I`ve mentioned how the southernmost part of "Kvadraturen" forms a strange and scattered landscape - left behind by development. However, for that reason some honorable historical buildings have been left. All which is needed for the future is to give these buildings a worthy urban context.

First a map of the area I speak of: Mostly the brown marked buildings, but I´ve included also one or two of the adjacent, grey marked buildings below.

General Glads bolig; litterary translated: The house of general happy.

The old loge.

An old military caserne, now sold to Oslo to be converted into some kind of school (a positive move, I guess).

The military society.

Formerly the norwegian defence department.

Formerly the HQ of the norwegian bank (DNB), now museum of contemporary art.

Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2017, 05:53 PM   #22
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 10026

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELH View Post
Formerly the norwegian defence department.
This is how this building used to look like in a period after the 1899 extension by Christian Fürst of the Tostrup building fame. The current appearance is actually a result of a modern attempt at trying to reconstruct it back to its original appearance while maintaining the volumes of the 1899 extension.

ELH, Notgnirracen, soren5en, The Eagle liked this post
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2017, 06:02 PM   #23
Galro

Quote:

I still would have preferred the former situation to the present:
There used to be another nice 9th century building to the left of this view (seen in the middle here):

It went through a re-clad some time into its life:

Before it was eventually demolished along with the building farthest to the left in the view you posted.

ELH, Notgnirracen, The Eagle liked this post
Old June 5th, 2017, 06:40 PM   #24
Galro

Quote:
Formerly the HQ of the norwegian bank (DNB), now museum of contemporary art.
DNB (previously known as Den Norske Bank) is the result of a merger of a number of Norwegians bank, some of which also had their headquaters in Kvadraturen like Christiania Sparebank and Den Norske Creditbank, but they were never located in that building. That was instead the headquarter of Norges Bank which is the Norwegian central bank.

But I digress ... Anyway, right opposite the square of this building you have Kongens Gate 2 or Christensengården as it is also known as. It was completed in 1894 with Henrik Nissen as the architect. The building as such still stand, but it have lost its once gorgeous fresco paintings which have reduced it to a rather anonymous structure.

Today:

ELH, Notgnirracen, The Eagle liked this post
Old June 5th, 2017, 10:22 PM   #25
Galro

Another architectural loss is also visible from Bankplassen (the square in front of the old Norges Bank building): namely Kirkegata 5, built in 1899 with Stockholm born Carl A. Aaman as the architect. Aaman had moved to the city the same year. The building used to have a massive spire/dome on the corner towards Rådhusgata, but this have since been lost through the building of loft apartments. The tile roof have also been replaced like so often is the case.

Viewed from Bankplassen.

A period ad featuring the then new building with its spire. The building was built with a elevator, electric lighting and a telephone line. Scandinavia had a unusually high density of telephones at time. Stockholm were the city in world with the highest density of telephones, while Oslo had slightly lower telephone density than New York but more than twice the one of London and three time the one of Vienna.

Now without it.

This however is how Aaman had initially drawn it, but I guess the "kristianiakrakket" market crash of the summer of 1899 resulted in the revised plans.

Notgnirracen, ELH, The Eagle liked this post

Last edited by Galro; June 5th, 2017 at 10:36 PM.
Old June 5th, 2017, 10:52 PM   #26
Galro

And right across the street was this building: Kirkegata 8, built in 1899 with Ivar C0ck (written with a o) as the architect. It was demolished to make way for the new Norges Bank building when they moved out of their old headquarter seen above.

Today ... The replacement actually have a lower facade towards the street.

Notgnirracen, The Eagle liked this post
Old June 6th, 2017, 04:38 PM   #27
Galro

Quote:
On the north side, Thostrupgården.
Some more about this building:

It was completed in 1898 with Christian Fürst, Waldemar Hansteen and Torolf Prytz as the architects on behalf of goldsmith Jacob Tostrup. Prytz had gotten inspired to the architecture of the building when visiting the World's Columbian Exposition of 1893 in Chicago. It was built with load-bearing steel skeleton and fitted with a elevator and electrical lighting upon completion. The lower facade was clad with black Labradorite stone while the upper floors were with marble from Fauske in Northern Norway. It is one of at least two buildings in central Oslo that can claim to be derived from the first Chicago school style.

The building is still very well preserved, but even it have not be spared from some modifications through the years. It have lost the ornamentation and the small, secondary windows around the roof windows (except the four windows in the middle). It have also lost the statues above the cornice.

Old June 6th, 2017, 05:37 PM   #28
ELH

Three pictures from Sehesteds plass (Sehested`s square):

This is actually a contemporary, black/white photo.

The "inside view" of the square. This building houses the publishing house "Aschehoug". The entrance is from the street on the opposite side of the city square.

View to the modern theater facade:

Notgnirracen, The Eagle liked this post
ELH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2017, 06:49 PM   #29
ELH

Different impressions of "Kirkeristen", lying to the north inside the old "Kvadraturen" area:

Notgnirracen, The Eagle, tomPunk liked this post
Old June 6th, 2017, 09:37 PM   #30
Galro

Quote:
View to the modern theater facade:
http://imageshack.com/a/img922/1067/0gQbip.jpg
And where this theater is now was what was once called Eventyrgården (the fairy tale building). It was completed in 1873 with Heinrich Ernst Schirmer as the architect. It was given the name fairy tale building due to the facade which featured medallions with decorations from Norwegian fairy tales. Deichmanske public library was located in the building from 1894 until their purposely-built building at Hammersborg was completed in 1933. The building was demolished in 1985.

This is for once a building I don't particularly miss as I do not think the old design was really that successful.

The Eagle, Notgnirracen liked this post
Old June 7th, 2017, 04:27 PM   #31
Galro

Further down the street of Eventyrgården is Professor Aschehougs plass where the Grense building is located. The building was completed in 1897 with Hagbarth Martin Schytte-Berg as the architect responsible. Although the building is still standing, it have been significantly altered through the years. The whole facade have basically been ribbed for ornamentation, the spire have been lost, the gable have been modified to hold two windows and the store front have been given a more closed-off appearance with smaller windows.

Notgnirracen, soren5en liked this post
Old June 7th, 2017, 06:45 PM   #32
ELH

A detour outside the city proper:
Oscarshall lies on the peninsula of Bygdøy, with view towards city west.

Old June 7th, 2017, 06:52 PM   #33
ELH

Oslo`s stock exchange:

Notgnirracen liked this post
Old June 7th, 2017, 10:40 PM   #34
Galro

Neighboring the Grense building is the Norske Folk building with the address Grensen 17. It was initially built in 1891, but it got severely damaged in a fire in the late 1890s and it was rebuilt in 1899 to the appearance seen in these historic pictures. Hagbarth Martin Schytte-Berg was responsible for the design just like with the neighboring Grense building. The Norsk Folk name was taken from the former Norske Folk insurance company that had their offices in the building. The building was the site of the Oslogjengens sabotage action against Arbeidstjenesten during ww2.

It went through an extensive rebuilding in 1971: An entrance to Stortinget metro station was added at the ground floor and the building was extended with one additional floor on the roof, result in a large, black box where there once was was gables and a corner tower.

soren5en, Notgnirracen, ELH liked this post
Old June 7th, 2017, 11:18 PM   #35
Galro

I just discovered that that building have been just or are currently being renovated. It will keep its god-awful roof, but it appears like first floor will be rebuilt to closer to how it once was.

Old June 7th, 2017, 11:34 PM   #36
Galro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galro View Post

Apparently they have come farther with this project than I thought and it seems like this is their solution on how to open up the facade. I guess it is better than the current situation, but I would much prefer a reconstruction.

What I do not like however is that they are planning to put a box on top of the old Telegraf building which will ruin the roof line of the building if you ask me.

https://www.finn.no/realestate/busin...nkode=94700699
Old June 7th, 2017, 11:40 PM   #37
ELH

Yes, this is the kind of decision which will hinder the prospect of a reconstruction for decades at best; a decision likely to be disrespected and mocked for the same span of time!

Is the present modernist building claimed to have preservatory values? If not, rebuild the classical building that definately had. If yes, then its planned alteration is a desecration on par with the former classical building being given the same, two story, sole glass socket. Either way, the building is left Architecturally Value-less.

Not just that, one should ask: what does the proposal give Oslo in terms of attractiveness, urban flair or cosmopolitanism? Nothing! It's the same unrounded "I know no better" or "I can no better" as has shaped Oslo less well than deserved for many decades.

Last edited by ELH; June 8th, 2017 at 12:55 AM.
Old June 8th, 2017, 07:41 PM   #38
ELH

The Deichmannske library. It will soon move out of this building and into a new building next to the Opera.

The building as of today gives me a mixed feeling as to its aesthetics. I think all that is needed for it to land safely on the "plus-side", however, is for it to lose its sub-military green and get a white based or teracotta colour. I guess a renovation could "be on" as the building finds a new role.

Roy Corduroy liked this post
Old June 8th, 2017, 09:23 PM   #39
ELH

The norwegian supreme court:

soren5en liked this post
Old June 9th, 2017, 01:47 AM   #40
Galro

Quote:
Yes, this is the kind of decision which will hinder the prospect of a reconstruction for decades at best; a decision likely to be disrespected and mocked for the same span of time!

Is the present modernist building claimed to have preservatory values? If not, rebuild the classical building that definately had. If yes, then its planned alteration is a desecration on par with the former classical building being given the same, two story, sole glass socket. Either way, the building is left Architecturally Value-less.
Intuitively I would think it was under some sort of protection as all buildings of that period with an distinctive design appears to be, but I don't know. I do not believe they would have been allowed to do that if it was protected on national level by Riksantivkaren though.

To be honest I'm not sure it is particularly realistic to see any mayor reconstruction work happens until a decades time anyway. Most people are not familiar with all the architecture that Oslo have lost and hence there is little public push for reconstruction while many architects and authorities will likely be opposed to any project that includes demolish post-war buildings. So if it is to happen then a lot of works needs to be put into informing the public about what once we had.
Quote:
Not just that, one should ask: what does the proposal give Oslo in terms of attractiveness, urban flair or cosmopolitanism? Nothing! It's the same unrounded "I know no better" or "I can no better" as has shaped Oslo less well than deserved for many decades.
They would probably argue that is revitilaize an building that have stood partially empty for a long term while it brings some life to a part of the city that mostly been neglected.