daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 9th, 2017, 02:56 AM   #41
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 9782

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELH View Post
The Deichmannske library. It will soon move out of this building and into a new building next to the Opera.

The building as of today gives me a mixed feeling as to its aesthetics. I think all that is needed for it to land safely on the "plus-side", however, is for it to lose its sub-military green and get a white based or teracotta colour. I guess a renovation could "be on" as the building finds a new role.

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/4005/Llj7Gm.jpg
I quite like it and I think it would be a shame to paint it white. I especially like the space it creates at Schandorffs plass. It is worth nothing that the building was never completed according to the plans and the lone colonnade towards Schandorffs Plass was supposed to be the main entrance with building mass on both sides of it.

Sadly the building have gotten mostly hidden behind the government quarter and I hope it will get a more prominent space in Oslos urban streetscape with the re-developed of the government area.

Notgnirracen liked this post
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2017, 03:20 AM   #42
Galro

I went past Camilla Colletts Vei and I thought I should take some picture. Camilla Colletts Vei is a 300 meter long street located behind the royal castle in the neighborhood of Uranienborg. It meets Skovveien in the east at Riddervolds Plass and at a corner towards this square is this large, luxurious complex. It was built by the builder Ole Olsen between 1896 and 1897 to a design by architect Carl Michalsen. It stretches over four individual buildings that are all designed in a similar, creating a larger unified complex.

Sadly even this complex have been the victims of some modifications throughout the years. All the buildings had initially the same decorations on the roof and beneath the balconies, but now only one building have kept the balcony decoration while only one other have kept the decoration on the roof.

The only building with original (in appearance) balconies:

ELH, Notgnirracen, soren5en, The Eagle liked this post

Last edited by Galro; June 9th, 2017 at 03:28 AM.
Old June 9th, 2017, 03:23 AM   #43
Galro

This is how the street originally looked like upon completion. Note all the spires/decorations on the roofs.

Notgnirracen, Roy Corduroy liked this post
Old June 9th, 2017, 06:46 PM   #44
Galro

On the opposite side of the square to the Masonic lodge is a building known as Skreddergården, or the Tailor building in English. It was built in 1894 with load-bearing construction in iron and with a design by architect Christian Reuter. The building got its name from the number of tailors it housed throughout the years. Third floor and up are dominated by beautiful silicate frescoes. Perhaps this is how Kongens Gate 2 would have looked like it was better preserved too? It is not known who made these frescoes, but I've seen Halfdan Davidsen and Arne Fladager mentioned as possible candidates.

The roof and the first floor was altered in 1929, but the later was restored back to almost original appearance in 2006 when Louis Vuitton moved into the premises. They have since moved down one block in the city and Vincci have moved in where they once where. The dark stone used on the columns are Larvikite while the red stone was originally Tønsbergitt. A notable lighter stone was used instead of Tønsbergitt on the restored first floor.

I took these pictures yesterday.

Old June 9th, 2017, 06:52 PM   #45
Galro

Here is how the building looked like originally.

... And how it looked since the altering of 1929 until restoration in 2006.

Notgnirracen, AbidM, Roy Corduroy liked this post
Old June 10th, 2017, 02:23 PM   #46
ELH

Likes (Received): 581

If wanting to cover the historic quarters called "kvadraturen" street by street, a natural street to beging with is the Karl Johans street.

Not because it`s classical architecture is doubtlessly the "best" inside of "kvadraturen", but it is the main pedestrian street going from east to west inside of Oslo´s center, beginning near the central train station. If for better or not, it is currently Oslos face to tourists and travellers.

I here cover just "lower" Karl Johans street, since the "upper" part of the street was covered under the topic of "Studenterlunden" in page one of this thread. Here are some impressions:

Notgnirracen, soren5en, tomPunk liked this post
ELH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2017, 04:08 PM   #47
Galro

These two buildings were constructed as part of the same development in 1895. They were both designed by Bernhard Steckmest, financed by Emil Lund (owner of the Dopheides department store) and built with load bearing constructions in iron which made the large window planes possible.

Although they are both reasonable well preserved, they have also been slightly altered throughout the years. The small "infill" have lost the dome it once had on the roof (to the left in the first picture) while the first floor have been altered on the corner building. This building and the first floor have since been repainted white and the Vero Moda store in your picture have been replaced with Hugo Boss and Michael Kors.

Here seen when the building was brand new in 1895.

ELH, Notgnirracen, soren5en liked this post
Old June 10th, 2017, 04:27 PM   #48
ELH

Also the Karl Johan`s street has lost at least one classical architectural piece; the Robsahm building. It was lost to fire.

In stead of rebuilding, this "charm" was erected:

Now they´re thinking to seal past mistakes for another large number of decades by investing in this:

Notgnirracen liked this post

Last edited by ELH; June 17th, 2017 at 08:54 PM.
Old June 10th, 2017, 08:24 PM   #49
Galro

Quote:

This building, known as the Thune building, was originally three separate buildings that stood along Øvre Slottsgate. The corner building towards Karl Johans gate was built in 1860 and rebuilt into its current appearance by architect Ove Ekman in 1874, while the two neighboring buildings were newly built in 1893 in same architectural style as the 1874 corner building.

The most notable feature of the building is the large Freia advertisement billboard on the roof. This billboard was first lit on the 23th of December 1909 and it is claimed to have been Europes largest illuminated advertisement billboard at the time. It have went through a number of different designs through the years and the current one dates from 1950. Here is how it looked like in 1912 when it advertised the new Freia Kakao products:

The building have mostly kept is 1893 appearance intact. The only changes that have been made are on the first floor where the store fronts have through continuously modifications since 1913. The building is currently being restored and it looked like they might have been in the process of rebuilding the first floor back to original when I went past it this Thursday.

ELH, Notgnirracen, The Eagle liked this post
Old June 11th, 2017, 12:31 PM   #50
ELH

Prinsens gate (the prince` street) goes parallelly to Karl Johan`s street to the south.

I like the classical architecture of the prince` street better, actually. I can tell, because when trying to limit the post to max 8 photos, I feel I make more sacrifices.

The "sacrificed" buildings are sometimes 2-facade buildings, however, and may thus be presented when I get to the "crossing streets".

This one has the sign "øvre slottsgate 7" on its entrance, yet even that sign faces "prinsens gate", so I include it here.

I chose this photo for its street perspective, the road surface is actually a render of the soon to be completed improvement.

Last edited by ELH; June 11th, 2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old June 11th, 2017, 01:19 PM   #51
ELH

It seems each street has its own moronic demolition or otherwise loss of a classical piece of architecure.

In prinsens gate, the most prominent example would be Steen&Strøm. This is their former building:

For reasons of modernization and expansion, it was replaced with this building, which still stands:

To balance that with a positive note, this building (one of my favourites) still stand:

I`m not sure if this is a photo or a render of some restoration project, it looks lightly artificial (I`d have to walk by to note what the socket presently looks like). At any rate, the building is also depicted in the post above this one.

Notgnirracen, soren5en, Roy Corduroy liked this post

Last edited by ELH; June 11th, 2017 at 03:17 PM.
Old June 11th, 2017, 03:11 PM   #52
Galro

Quote:
It seems each street has its own moronic demolition or otherwise loss of a classical piece of architecure.

In prinsens gate, the most prominent example would be Steen&Strøm. This is their former building:
http://imageshack.com/a/img923/6634/uIPgMk.jpg

For reasons of modernization and expansion, it was replaced with this building, which still stands:
http://imageshack.com/a/img923/7499/tjJkYG.jpg
The first building, which was built in 1874 with Paul Due as the architect, actually burned down in 1929. The replacement was built 1930 and had Ole Sverre as the architect. I actually prefer the current building. It is grander and one of few Art Deco buildings in the city. I do wish the corner entrances were restored though.

Two more pictures of the old building.

Two more of the new building.

ELH, soren5en liked this post
Old June 11th, 2017, 03:33 PM   #53
Galro

Quote:
I chose this photo for its street perspective, the road surface is actually a render of the soon to be completed improvement.

It have actually been completed for a few months now. Here is a picture I took this past Thursday of almost the same angle (only slightly further back). The low, white building dates from around 1640 and is the oldest building still left along the street.

Edit: Here is also a picture taken in the middle street by me. Prinsens gate 25 can be seen under restoration in the back. Sadly there does not appear to be a plan to restore the "frieze" (or what you want to call it) back to original appearance as part of this restoration though.

ELH, AbidM liked this post

Last edited by Galro; June 11th, 2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old June 12th, 2017, 06:46 PM   #54
Galro

Quote:
Now they´re thinking to seal past mistakes for another large number of decades by investing in this:
Although the changes towards Stortorvet are most noticeable, the '60s Kredittkasse building also resulted in the demolition of this building towards Nedre Slottsgate. It was built in 1877.

Same angle taken by me:

It is also worth nothing that the Stortorvet 7 redevelopment project have been re-designed to "better fit" with the current building.

ELH liked this post
Old June 12th, 2017, 08:13 PM   #55
ELH

Having covered Karl Johans gate and Prinsens gate, Tollbugata is the next southward parallell street to those. It has been the grittiest street of the "Kvadraturen" area, more so than both Prinsens gate to the north and Rådhusgata to the south. Still, it contains some valuable pieces of classical architecture.

Again, it is a bit random what corner buildings I include here and which ones I save for some later coverage of the crossing streets.

Galro, The Eagle liked this post

Last edited by ELH; June 12th, 2017 at 08:20 PM.
Old June 12th, 2017, 08:27 PM   #56
ELH

Galro has covered it more than once before, so it`s butter on fat.
To be systematic as pertains to the street by street coverage, however, this is Tollbugatas probably most prominent moronic demolition......

......and its wonderful replacement. Mark especially the eqsquisite finishing work towards the pavement.

Last edited by ELH; June 12th, 2017 at 08:39 PM.
Old June 13th, 2017, 01:05 AM   #57
Galro

To be honest I think this thread would be easier to navigate if we spread out the pictures more. I think it would be nice with more information about each individual building too. Just some feedback.

Quote:
This building, with the address Tollbugata 31, was built in 1898 with Kritsten Rivertz as the architect. It was built with a elevator. The roof of the building have been altered through the years and it have gotten lowered gables and simplified domes.

Few historical pictures seems to exist of Tollbugata 31, but it can at least be seen to the left in this picture from 1905.

AbidM, The Eagle liked this post
Old June 13th, 2017, 12:35 PM   #58
ELH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galro View Post
To be honest I think this thread would be easier to navigate if we spread out the pictures more. I think it would be nice with more information about each individual building too. Just some feedback.

You know much more about concrete building history than me, which is exactly what I appreciate about your posts. I find them a necessary contribution to give the thread a good overall quality.

I think quite many SSC users have a very casual interest or curiosity about each city, however, and wanting to have the cruder overall view before deciding whether to delve into details.

If my attempt at making a crude overview (give the more detailed and concrete a "city wide context") is easy to navigate is different topic, however. What seems as a good concept for an overview to me as one who knows the city must not be for People who don`t know it.
Old June 13th, 2017, 06:38 PM   #59
mhjo
mhji

Likes (Received): 90

That monster should be taken down and the old ones rebuildt. It just spoils the only "markt" I know of in Oslo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galro View Post
Although the changes towards Stortorvet are most noticeable, the '60s Kredittkasse building also resulted in the demolition of this building towards Nedre Slottsgate. It was built in 1877.

Same angle taken by me:

It is also worth nothing that the Stortorvet 7 redevelopment project have been re-designed to "better fit" with the current building.
mhjo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2017, 02:05 AM   #60
Galro

Quote:
[...]
You have made a nice casual overview indeed. But I still think it would be better to divide each post up more as we get very many pictures per page now and it makes the pages so incredibly long. Perhaps have five pictures per post or something, at least when there are many picture posts after each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhjo View Post
That monster should be taken down and the old ones rebuildt. It just spoils the only "markt" I know of in Oslo
I agree. It really ruins the whole of Stortorvet which really could have been so nice if only the architecture that surrounds it had been preserved.

But at least it ruins some of the "purity" of the buildings which could perhaps make it easier to demolish later on.