daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 14th, 2017, 01:46 PM   #61
ELH

Likes (Received): 580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galro View Post
You have made a nice casual overview indeed. But I still think it would be better to divide each post up more as we get very many pictures per page now and it makes the pages so incredibly long. Perhaps have five pictures per post or something, at least when there are many picture posts after each other.

Allright, I`ll take that advice on a general basis, but I want to complete the covering of the east-west streets of kvadraturen first, where I find a 5 photos is often too limited.

It`ll just be 1 to maximally 3 posts requiring that length.
ELH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2017, 08:18 PM   #62
ELH

Rådhusgata is the southernmost east-west street in the "kradraturen" area which feels as if its part of Oslos contemporary infrastructure. South of it, the "kvadraturen area" ebbs out in a kind of small town and antiquated paste and atmosphere - which again ebbs out in sort of a no mans land close to the historic military complexes. Here`s some impressions of the classical architecture of Rådhusgata.

Last edited by ELH; June 14th, 2017 at 09:03 PM.
Old June 14th, 2017, 08:26 PM   #63
ELH

To follow my own script - here the moronic demolitions of the street:

We get two for the price of one. The church in the back may not qualify for a moronic demolition. Its foundations had been damaged in an earthquake in 1904. For that reason, it was torn 25 years later. The lost building up front has also been shown earlier in this thread.

This is the same area; the end of Rådhusgata at the western end of kvadraturen as seen from the outer fortifications of Akershus castle.

Last edited by ELH; June 14th, 2017 at 10:14 PM.
Old June 14th, 2017, 11:14 PM   #64
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 9772

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELH View Post

This building, with the address Rådhusgata 26, was built in 1899 with Thune & Thürmer as the architects. It was fitted with a elevator and the load bearing constructions were partially bricks and iron.

The building have lost its corner entrance towards Rådhusgata, but it is otherwise preserved as how it was built as far as I know. What is perhaps more interesting is that the initial proposal for the building carried a large dome at the corner which was never built for reasons I do not know (but I suspect it could have something to do with the 1899 Kristianiakrakket).

ELH, soren5en liked this post

Last edited by Galro; June 19th, 2017 at 01:59 AM.
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2017, 11:26 PM   #65
Galro

Quote:

This building, with the address Kongengs Gate 7, was completed in 1897 to a design by Carl Michalsen. This building was also fitted with a elevator and load bearing constructions partially in wood and iron. The facade is well preserved, but both the original onion dome on the roof and the two gables have been greatly reduced. The building also used to have a small, five stories high building from the same period as its neighbor in Kongens Gate, but this building have since been demolished.

Last edited by Galro; June 15th, 2017 at 01:30 AM.
Old June 15th, 2017, 05:55 PM   #66
ELH

Below follows a map of Oslos innermost center. I´ve marked the 4 streets of Kvadraturen which I´ve covered thus far dark orange. The streets I have marked with light orange are those still not covered, but due to many corner buildings they have also gotten exposure:

Quite alot of buildings from the streets marked with light orange have also been displayed in this thread allready, albeit not on a street to street basis. To avoid very extensive "double-posting", I will not cover the rest of Kvadraturen street by street. In stead, I´ll show single buildings left out that are worthy of exposure.

First, a nice aerial of Kvadraturen seen from the south.

Last edited by ELH; June 15th, 2017 at 06:10 PM.
Old June 15th, 2017, 06:30 PM   #67
ELH

"Christiania Sparebank", lying in "øvre slottsgate 3":

Old June 15th, 2017, 08:10 PM   #68
ELH

"Posthallen", lying in "Dronningens gate"

soren5en liked this post
Old June 15th, 2017, 08:18 PM   #69
ELH

"Telegrafbygningen", lying in "Kongens gate"

soren5en liked this post
Old June 16th, 2017, 06:09 PM   #70
ELH

Here three photos from Bankplassen ("bank square"), in the southermost portion of the "kradraturen" area.

I leave out the main building of the square (the museum of contemporary art on the south side of the square), since it has been posted previously.

North side I

North side II

East side

soren5en liked this post

Last edited by ELH; June 16th, 2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old June 16th, 2017, 06:16 PM   #71
ELH

Grev Wedels plass ("count Wedel`s square"). The southern lining of the square is also the southernmost street of the entire "Kvadraturen" area.

North side

East side

South side
Old June 16th, 2017, 06:37 PM   #72
ELH

The eastern rim of the "Kvadraturen" area borders the square in front of the central train station. Here are three photos from the "Kvadraturen - side" of the square:

soren5en liked this post
Old June 16th, 2017, 08:31 PM   #73
Galro

Quote:
Grev Wedels plass ("count Wedel`s square"). The southern lining of the square is also the southernmost street of the entire "Kvadraturen" area.

North side
This is Simergården or Grev Wedels Plass 4. It was built in 1895 with Herman Backer as the architect. Simers & Co, a local manufacture of distilled beverage, was the developer behind the project and gave the building its name. The roof of this building have been badly altered like what often is the case. It used to have a number of spires and small domes of which little have been preserved.

Here is how the building was originally envisioned by Backer:

Few good period pictures exist of it, but it is seen to the left here at least:

While it is barely visible in the background here:

Old June 17th, 2017, 11:52 AM   #74
ELH

I´ve made an extremely preliminary map of those pieces of high quality classical architecture that have been lost inside of Oslo`s core. Countless "lower quality" buildings could be worthy of preservation for preserving the urban "milieu", but are not included here.

Most (but not all) of those buildings have been shown in this thread allready. In addition, there are not unlikely a few more I`m not yet aware of.

I include buildings which stand, yet have lost their entire classical facade and appearance. However, I do not include buildings which have been somewhat altered or reduced, yet clearly recognizable as original pieces of classical architecture.

Till yet, I have counted a total of 18 to 20 such buildings inside of the area shown on the map (depending on definitions of what counts as single buildings). Additionally, there are cases outside of the city core. Solli plass right west of the map has at least two, for example.

It would make a considerable impact on the city`s "flair" if they were all rebuild. Off course, all can not be, like "Circus Verdenstheater" - to rebuild that you`d first have to reverse the entire pre-war, planned transformation of Vika, which will not happen.

The orange plots mark the mentioned, lost buildings:

Last edited by ELH; June 17th, 2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old June 17th, 2017, 02:38 PM   #75
Galro

There are a few more. One example is Akersgata 8 which I don't really know much about. It was located at the corner towards Tollbugata.

It is the building with the high spire in the background here:

The original drawing for it, but it appears to have been redesigned before construction.

Today:

ELH liked this post
Old June 17th, 2017, 02:45 PM   #76
Galro

The neighboring Akersgata 16 (also known as the Blaauw building) have also been badly altered. It was initially built with Ove Ekman as the architect.

Then.

Now after extensions and altering of the facade. It almost looks like a early modernistic building now.

ELH liked this post
Old June 17th, 2017, 03:00 PM   #77
Galro

Down in Stortingsgata, right opposed Spikersuppa and Karl Johan, was a building known as Cecil-hjørnet with the address Stortingsgata 8. The building was originally built in 1890, but it was extended and re-designed in 1921 into the appearance seen here. It burned down in 1986. It is claimed that Norway was the country in the world with the most fires at the time. A post-modernistic replacement was built on the site in 1989 which still stands.

Fire.

Today.

ELH liked this post
Old June 17th, 2017, 03:13 PM   #78
Galro

As far as I know there does not exist a single period picture of this building. Nevertheless Nedre Slottsgate 21 have gone through massive changes too. It was rebuilt and extended into a five floor high building in Nordic neo-baroque style in 1912 architect Kristian Biong. The building was then again re-clad in 1958 into the appearance it have today. As a fun fact this is also the location where Norways first McDonalds restaurant opened in 1983.

The 1912 design.

Today.

ELH liked this post

Last edited by Galro; June 17th, 2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old June 17th, 2017, 04:29 PM   #79
Galro

Then there is Grensen 12 at the corner of Øvre Slottsgate. It was built in the 1880s, probably with Ove Ekman as the architect. It burned down in 1951.

Today.

ELH liked this post
Old June 17th, 2017, 07:04 PM   #80
ELH

Is that a live fire happening in the upper left corner of that picture, or is it just a disturbance to the photo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galro View Post