daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 1st, 2017, 07:52 PM   #121
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 9782

I previously mentioned that Oslo got at least two buildings that were clearly inspired by the first Chicago school of architect. The first building have already been shown here so I thought I would now present the second one too.

The building in question is the Backer building in Kongens Gate in Kvadraturen. It was built in 1894 to '95 with Herman Major Backer as the architect. It is clad in marble from the Dunderland Valley in Northern Norway which were carved by Hans Utlien. The sandblasted glass people and animal decorations in the first floor were done at Hadeland Glassverk to a design by Herman Bongard at some point after ww2 (the original glass planes was destroyed in the Filipstad explosion.)

All pictures were taken by me.

ELH liked this post
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2017, 10:46 PM   #122
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 9782

And here are two picture of how it looked like when new. It have lost the roof tower/spire since then and it gotten simplified balconies.

Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2017, 06:44 PM   #123
ELH

Likes (Received): 581

Having posted from the rest of the city, I should try to do the city east justice.

Actually, I like the city east, it is just that it has less of what you would call "high quality" classical architecture - having originally developed as lower middle and working class part of the city.

So, I see as my job to choose photos that communicates why I like the city east while also incorporating buildings worth showing.

Since I´m a map freak, here`s another:

The area between the two vertical, light blue lines are neither east nor west, more like a transition zone. The purple lines are demarking borough-boundries, but not officially - based more on my own psychology as a person having lived many years in Oslo. I am also aware that the term "indre øst" is commonly used in a broader sense than I here do.

One thing the city east has which neither the city core or the city west has, is a river - albeit a small one. It`s called Akerselva (Aker river) and I want to show some of the bridges crossing it before showing other buildings. Here first are just two riverside impressions:

From the northern half of the city east:

Nearing the city core in the southwards direction:

soren5en liked this post
ELH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2017, 07:37 PM   #124
ELH

Hausmann bro ("Hausmann bridge"), just to the north-east of the city core.

soren5en, Roy Corduroy liked this post
Old July 2nd, 2017, 07:42 PM   #125
ELH

Aamodt pedestrian bridge, lying in Grünerløkka:

soren5en liked this post
Old July 2nd, 2017, 07:56 PM   #126
ELH

Vaterland bro then and now:

The origin of the name "Vaterland" as used in norway is not known to me. It is easy to suspect a german origin, in which case the name gives some strange connotations - lest we rename it in norwegian ("fedrelands-broen").

Off course "Vater" (it`s pronounced with a weak "v" in norwegian, not with the hard f-like "v") means "Wasserwage" in Norway. But I guess this is not the origin of the name. In Germany, I never heard of any "Wasserwageland-Brücke".

Last edited by ELH; July 2nd, 2017 at 08:35 PM.
Old July 2nd, 2017, 08:06 PM   #127
ELH

Ankerbroen, also called the fairy tale bridge:

soren5en liked this post
Old July 2nd, 2017, 08:11 PM   #128
ELH

Sannebrua:

Roy Corduroy liked this post
Old July 3rd, 2017, 04:54 AM   #129
joamox

Likes (Received): 474

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELH View Post

The origin of the name "Vaterland" as used in norway is not known to me. It is easy to suspect a german origin, in which case the name gives some strange connotations - lest we rename it in norwegian ("fedrelands-broen").

Off course "Vater" (it`s pronounced with a weak "v" in norwegian, not with the hard f-like "v") means "Wasserwage" in Norway. But I guess this is not the origin of the name. In Germany, I never heard of any "Wasserwageland-Brücke".
The name vaterland is derived from the Dutch word water and should be pronounced with a v-sound. Calling the area waterland was presumably a reference to the marshy ground and can be compared with gronland, which presumably was greener

Great job on the thread by the way

ELH liked this post
joamox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2017, 09:49 PM   #130
ELH

Quote:
Originally Posted by joamox View Post
The name vaterland is derived from the Dutch word water and should be pronounced with a v-sound. Calling the area waterland was presumably a reference to the marshy ground and can be compared with gronland, which presumably was greener

Great job on the thread by the way

Since you mention the dutch and Grønland in two short sentences, this building complex is called "Hollender-kvarteret" and lies in Grønland:

The whole complex (not just its court-like room) lies sort of hid away in a side street. It`s kind of untypical for Grønland, but fits somewhat better with the classical architecture of Schweigaards street; the main traffic artery going past Grønland (and it) right to the south.

Last edited by ELH; July 3rd, 2017 at 09:54 PM.
Old July 3rd, 2017, 10:50 PM   #131
ELH

The western half of Schweigaards street marks the southern line of Grønland. It is currently turning from urban wasteland north of the central station to being the most modern part of the center. The transition is nearing complete.

As part of that transformation, I remember a peculiar incident. This building was a storage and sell-out facility for all kinds of wooden materials. Developers wanted to replace it with large scale residential complexes. They weren`t allowed to by the preservatory agency for architecture.

So, one day, the building just burns. I remember the developers were still not allowed to tear, out of suspicion they had set the building on fire. After all, the facade still stood. For years, the facade was supported by equipment blocking the whole sidewalk. I remember having to change the street side as a pedestrian.

I guess they made some sort of compromize to save the facade and incorporate it into the new development.

Actually, I`m pretty happy for the neighborhood now. This new - old constellation definately has something to it.
Old July 3rd, 2017, 11:35 PM   #132
ELH

Further east, Schweigaards street turns into a street of classical architecture.

Here are two photos of the intersection Schweigaards gate and Grønlandsleiret, where "Grønland" goes over into "Old Oslo".

This building, albeit OK, is not chosen just for its architectural values. It attracts black metal fans from all over the world for having housed "helvete" ("hell"); the record shop which was the center for the most macabre real life band history in rock - building a dubious norwegian brand in the process.

These buildings (from the 90s I believe) lie further up Schweigaards street. A digression actually, because they`re not classical, but I find them to have classicalist elements. It`s not comparable to the now famous, so called "Berlin style" or similar, but it takes the classical and respects it as frame of reference, something projects having been posted in the Hamburg projects thread also do, as example. It`s clearly the road Oslo also needs take much more frequently.
Old July 4th, 2017, 07:49 PM   #133
ELH

Gamle Oslo ("old Oslo") is the area where Oslo was first founded as a Viking settlement. I showed photos of some of the ruins from old Oslo in the third post of this entire thread.

Since approximately the time of industrialization, main infrastructural trajectories have always went through the area. Developments have been torn down in part to give space for reorganization and expansion of those, including multiple train access lines to the central station and main arteries for motorized trafic.

Under these condition, no "normal" borough could develop, as you can see in the first photo below. One could think this makes old Oslo the least attractive part of the city proper, but I disagree to that. You may be attracted to it for the same reasons people are attracted to Detroit or certain section of eastern Berlin. Some streets will have an almost dystopian atmosphere, then comes a park with ruins or some single, standing historical building, then again train tracks.

In fact, old Oslo is "nicer" now than it used to be. After all, there is no freeway og highway going through the area anymore, just local roads and access roads to the freeway tunnel systems. There are also further plans to improve the living quality of the area.

Here is "Ladegården", one of the historical buildings of the area.

This photo illustrates very well the near dystopian atmosphere some isolated parts of the area can be felt to have. In other parts of our history, those buildings would be up for deconstruction if prioritized. Now, in stead, priority is to keep them and fresh up their surroundings. Who knows, maybe there will even be new fill-ins with time.

When it comes to the more "normal" streets inside "Old Oslo", this shot manages to show a very "typical" one.

Roy Corduroy, soren5en liked this post

Last edited by ELH; July 4th, 2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old July 4th, 2017, 10:44 PM   #134
ELH

Turning again to the borough of "Grønland", it will be a quick passage for such a sizeable chunk of the city. I simply find Grønland overall a challange to classical taste in archtecture - and my "like-factor" is also lower than for the rest of the "City East". A paradox then, that I once lived there for more than a year.

This historical photo is from Grønlandsleiret, the main street going through Grønland. It would be clearly recognizeable as the same motive today. A majority of the buildings still stand.

Grønland church

The Tøyen-church

This is the former, local police station and arrest seen from the back yard. It is presently an exhibition space.

soren5en liked this post
Old July 5th, 2017, 06:04 PM   #135
ELH

I tagged a small part of the map (above on this page) "indre øst" ("inner east"). It`s maybe badly chosen, because the term is commonly also used in a broader sense, but I`d rather call it that than to simply invent a novel term for it.

The area simply isn`t part of Grünerløkka to the north of it and not part of the city core to the south of it. I tend to view the area as a "growth buffer" for the city core, although it does contain a few classical architectural pieces that will get preserved no matter what gets torn and rebuild around them. A few of these are what I`d like to show now:

"Torggata bad": A former public bath. It has since long been transformed into a concert venue, mostly for rock artists (it`s aptly called "Rockefeller"). Now they`re about to renovate it and install more restaurants, street cafes, etc. in it.

One of the few pedestrian zones in the area. Galro has previously posted photos of the improved street finish in the Oslo projects thread:

One of the very few historical building with a big "H" still present in the area. Unfortunately, its surroundings are rather uninviting. I hope that future central development will go hand in hand with a daring attitude to city planing. The city block where this building lies could profit from being divided into two block through a new street. It would also expose this building to street views from more sides.

A waterside impression of a building evoking a certain "Hamburgian Speicher - vibe".

Another impression of the no-nonsense, down to earth, working class style - yet still "classical" brick architecture of the area. The nearest "crossing road" visible in the photo marks the dividing line between the city core and the area I here present under the tag "inner east".

soren5en liked this post
Old July 6th, 2017, 06:09 PM   #136
ELH

Grünerløkka is the only district in "Oslo East" that posesses a sense of "completion" as borough. It feels as if it could also be a separate, smaller city. It can be defined narrowly or boradly. I choose to define it broadly, so that it includes Sofienberg, Rodeløkka and the west bank of the Aker river (se map above on this page).

It was built as a working class bastion, but from the 90s on, it turned into the Oslo`s hipster area. Now, that hipster factor is washing off, but it helped revitalize the part of the city. Now, it feels more alive than some parts of the city core and with a better balance of living, working, retail and leisure.

Here`s an historical aerial, it shows at least the whole of Grünerløkka as narrowly defined.

A zoom-in of a north-south street, looking in the direction of the city core.

A ground photo from "Birkelunden", a block-sized square / park to the north of Grünerløkka. In fact, Birkelunden is only one of several similar "lungs" within the borough.

Another aerial. This time contemporary and showing the northern part of Grünerløkka.

Grünerløkka is a "more-posts-topic", so this post is just the introduction, then.

suburbicide liked this post

Last edited by ELH; July 6th, 2017 at 08:17 PM.
Old July 7th, 2017, 05:19 PM   #137
ELH

When you come into Grünerløkka from the south; from the city core, one of these views are normally what greets you as the borough`s "south end":

soren5en liked this post
Old July 8th, 2017, 12:02 PM   #138
ELH

Downstreets views from Rathkes plass ("Rathkes square") in 2 different angles.

It lies sort of "hidden away" in a "dead zone" where Grünerløkka as most narrowly defined parts from the blocks going parallel to the former main road Trondheimsveien. Most technically, it lies in Sofienberg.

Old July 8th, 2017, 12:10 PM   #139
ELH

Schous plass "Schou`s square" is among the more anonymous squares in Grünerløkka - in the sense that the main streets don`t allow full views to it. For the same reason, it is a bit underrated and has unfulfilled potential.

A mix of older and newer south-east of the square.

The Grünerløkka franchise of Deichmannske library.

Last edited by ELH; July 8th, 2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old July 8th, 2017, 12:30 PM   #140
ELH

Grünerløkka has a rich industrial history and in part still living industries.

The chocolate factory of the company "Freia".

Ringnes brewery

The Ringnes Villa.

The bell/tower of Schous brewery

Schaukjelleren ("The Schau vault")