daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 7th, 2017, 04:05 PM   #1
qjone2

Likes (Received): 479

The Most Beautiful European City Before WWII

While it is true that the European cities we often hold to be quintessentially beautiful today (Paris, Prague, Vienna, Rome etc.) have long been so, how did they compare to those cities that were irreparably altered by the ravages of time and (in particular) WWII? Were they still be deemed the 'most beautiful', or did they have some stiff competition? What do you think?

Please post pictures if possible, whether they be modern photos that demonstrate the beauty that still exists, or images of lost cityscapes trapped in the amber of the moment

For example:

Berlin:

Dresden:

Credit: Soren5en

Warsaw:

Last edited by qjone2; June 7th, 2017 at 04:36 PM.
qjone2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2017, 06:36 PM   #2
rob in cal

Likes (Received): 8

Wonderful photos, but also depressing in that those cities are nowhere near as beautiful now.

qjone2 liked this post
rob in cal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2017, 09:02 PM   #3
mybola
Boby Bola

Likes (Received): 1

If I hear the beauty of it that is in Europe I really really want to visit there but when I do not know
Old June 19th, 2017, 03:58 AM   #4
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

A good friend who was much older that i and is now long passed on, told me how his father could see the tragedy of another war coming in the 1930s and took the entire family on a vast European tour. The father felt the next war, unlike The Great War, would lay waste to the continent and the cities, in addition to the ungodly human loss likely to be on par with The Great War.

His goal was to see the greatest and most beautiful cites before they disappeared, at least in terms of how they currently existed in the 1930s. Some of the cities they visited were:

Berlin
Vienna
Munich
Florence
Venice
Breslau
Baden Baden
Hamburg
St Gallen
Strasbourg
Karlsruhe
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2017, 07:10 AM   #5
qjone2

Likes (Received): 479

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
Berlin
Vienna
Munich
Florence
Venice
Breslau
Baden Baden
Hamburg
St Gallen
Strasbourg
Karlsruhe
Sounds like an amazing trip Luckily for him, 6 of these came out of the war largely undamaged, and Munich and Breslau (Wrocław) were rebuilt quite tastefully. Berlin, Karlsruhe, and Hamburg were not so fortunate, sadly.

To my tastes, Vienna was and still is one of Europe's (and the world's) most beautiful cities.

[IMG]https://ak8.picdn.net/************/videos/7478008/thumb/1.jpg?i10c=img.resize(height:160)[/IMG]

emperormadness, keepthepast, MJEF liked this post
qjone2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, dresden, paris, warsaw