daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 10th, 2005, 02:23 PM   #81
Urban Dave
In Urbanity I Trust

Likes (Received): 1546

Great update. Thanks!
Urban Dave no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2005, 06:06 PM   #82
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/07/ny.../07postal.html
Uncle Sam Sells Air Rights, and Preservationists Cringe

By JOHN FREEMAN GILL
Published: August 7, 2005

Keith Bedford for The New York Times

A condo tower next to the Times Square postal station obscures the McGraw-Hill Building from the west.

Two disputes in Manhattan feature a player seldom seen in such battles: the United States Postal Service.

The service has sold the air rights of two of its post offices, and the sales have attracted the scrutiny of a federal advisory council and a private preservation group.

The transfer of the air rights, from the Cooper Station in the East Village and the Times Square Station on West 42nd Street, will allow developers of adjacent properties to erect far larger buildings than they otherwise could. But both stations sit next to historic structures - St. Ann's Church on East 12th Street, now largely demolished, and the landmark McGraw-Hill Building on West 42nd Street - and the Cooper Station itself is on the National Register of Historic Places. As a result, preservationists are alarmed by the effects of these deals.

The federal agency, the Advisory Council on Historic Preservation, sent the Postal Service a letter last month that questioned whether it should have sold air rights without first studying the impact on historic buildings. Don L. Klima, a council official, wrote in the letter to Arthur E. Strange, the national manager of real estate for the Postal Service, that the air rights sales appeared to be actions regulated by the National Historic Preservation Act. Among other provisions, that law requires federal agencies to take into account the effects of their actions on historic properties, and sets forth procedures for consulting with the state and the public to avoid or limit harmful effects.

In response, the Postal Service said that in these two sales, it had determined that it did not have to hold such discussions. In a July 20 letter to the advisory council, Mr. Strange wrote that the air rights transfers could not by themselves have any impact on historic properties. Any impact would come only when the developer who bought the rights used them, he said.

Andrew Berman, executive director of the Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation, which has objected to the Postal Service's sales, faulted this reasoning. "Given that they are a public or semipublic agency, they have a responsibility not to act just like a private developer selling to the highest bidder," he said.

Behind this legal back-and-forth lie two signature city buildings, the older being St. Ann's Church, built in 1847 and 1870. Earlier this year, the Postal Service sold the air rights from its adjacent Cooper Station, on East 11th Street and Fourth Avenue, to Hudson Companies, which owns the church. Armed with the air rights and plans to put up a building of at least 20 stories, Hudson has torn down the church except for its rusticated-stone facade and tower. Hudson has not decided whether to keep those remaining structures in the planned building.

Over on West 42nd Street, the Postal Service sold the air rights from its Times Square Station to Intell Management and Investment, which combined those rights with others to permit construction of a 61-story condominium. The tower, which will be the city's sixth-tallest residential building, is now rising between Eighth and Ninth Avenues, separated from the 1930 McGraw-Hill Building by only the post office itself. The tower's frame has already grown taller than the 35-story landmark, obscuring the view of it from the west.

Robert A. Anderson, a Postal Service spokesman, said his agency was seeking further guidance because the preservation rules were open to different legal interpretations. "We're now going back to the advisory council and Don Klima," he said, "to determine how to proceed in the future and how we can satisfy everyone."
Old August 11th, 2005, 12:23 AM   #83
Phobos

What's exactly is happenening to St. Ann's Church?
How is it possible to destroy a building dated back to 1847?
Old August 11th, 2005, 11:49 AM   #84
New York Yankee

Likes (Received): 4

originally posted by edward from wired new york Forums.

looks the orion!
New York Yankee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2005, 12:42 PM   #85
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3684

Surprisingly similar looking to the Bloomberg.

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2005, 01:35 AM   #86
TowersNYC
Carlos V

Likes (Received): 16

sunday august 14, 2005

latest look

"Higher and Higher baby...It's a miracle, what a beautiful thing to see..."

I WANNA LIVE HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!

I Love NY

Last edited by TowersNYC; August 15th, 2005 at 05:35 AM.
TowersNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2005, 01:40 AM   #87
Sonic from Padova
Николай

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowersNYC
I WANNA LIVE HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!
The same for me! I want to live in a New York skyscraper!!!!!
Sonic from Padova no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2005, 05:48 PM   #88
TalB
Refugee

http://www.observer.com/therealestate/
Party at Orion Features Doctoroff, Potato Salad

Yesterday, Corcoran's elite brokers and executives mixed it up with a few hundred burly construction workers on the 51st floor of The Orion, Gary Barnett's recent development that will soon be the sixth-tallest residential building in the city. Guests were nervously transported up a rickety elevator to the "topping out party," an event staged when the highest point is reached during construction.

CEO Pam Liebman and new marketing COO Jeff Yamaguchi--who just arrived from Las Vegas this week--were among the real-estate big-wigs on hand.

And to let the workers know their sweat was not excreted in vain, Ms. Liebman informed the crowd that she bought one of the first apartments available. "I know where I'm going," said one brawny guy while giving his friend an elbow in the ribs.

Deputy Mayor Dan Doctoroff spoke, too, and received thunderous applause every time he flashed his union cred. Mr. Doctoroff enthusiastically proclaimed that New Yorkers would soon witness "one of the greatest building booms in the city's history." What West Side Stadium?

Mr. Barnett, whose Extell Development Company is popping up everywhere lately, appeared jubilant with his 60-story building topping out after breaking ground only 15 months earlier. Afterwards, he dodged a reporter's question about the M.T.A. overlooking Extell's proposal for a development in downtown Brooklyn on the spot where Bruce Ratner wants to build Stadiumland.

People came here to party, not answer uncomfortable questions!

After the speeches, brokers and starving real-estate reporters took off their bright-white hardhats and headed toward the potato salad and star-shaped brownies ("Far above the city lights, right below the stars!" read the invitation to the event). One floor below, the workers chowed down together and presented each other with various awards.

For about an hour or so, we felt some real unity. This must be what it's like to build in Des Moines!

(A note on the images: Extell actually wants you to pay to use an image of their building! Fine with us. The real Orion is more impressive anyway. But if anyone wants to send us a fair-use picture gratis, we'll put it up.)

- Michael Calderone

Posted by Tom 8/18/2005 08:26:00 AM
Old August 21st, 2005, 02:57 AM   #89
TowersNYC
Carlos V

latest look..OFFICIALLY TOPPED ...august 20, 2005...lurking behind.....

I Love NY

Last edited by TowersNYC; August 21st, 2005 at 03:14 AM.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 03:33 AM   #90
TowersNYC
Carlos V

VIEW OF THE ORION FROM THE 40TH FLOOR

NYC, SUNDAY AUGUST 21, 2005

Went to visit my friend, he lives on th 40th floor of the "zebra" building ....This is his view...

NOT BAD .....

I Love NY
Old August 22nd, 2005, 03:45 AM   #91
TalB
Refugee

Your friend must have been so lucky to have views of The Orion durring its construction phases.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 10:46 AM   #92
hella good
Something of a monster

Likes (Received): 2694

its gorgeous!!!! i love it!
CODA Instagram
hella good no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 07:06 PM   #93
Marco Polo

Carlos - this is a great update, thanks!!
We do not mind occasional pics of workers... (we all have our weaknesses), but do not forget the buildings!!
Marco Polo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 09:46 PM   #94
Phobos

Great update.
I enjoyed a lot the pictures!
Old August 22nd, 2005, 10:58 PM   #95
hella good
Something of a monster

Likes (Received): 2694

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Polo
Carlos - this is a great update, thanks!!
We do not mind occasional pics of workers... (we all have our weaknesses), but do not forget the buildings!!
i wouldnt say no to a thread about the builders. hee hee
CODA Instagram
hella good no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 02:17 AM   #96
TowersNYC
Carlos V

^ right on

I Love NY
Old August 24th, 2005, 06:25 PM   #97
Muse
Supernature

Likes (Received): 32

The Orion will be a welcome addtion to N.Y.C.'s density. Loving the sleek glass cladding guys [IMG]http://www.**************/invboard/html/emoticons/wub.gif[/IMG]

BTW Carlos...

1) Is condo in U.S.-speak meaning apartments is Aussie-speak or something else? and...

2) What is the "zebra" building you speak of Carlos where you friend lives in N.Y.C.?

Last edited by Muse; August 24th, 2005 at 06:35 PM.
Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 08:54 PM   #98
peterdn

Likes (Received): 186

Nice update.
These are fantastic pics.
peterdn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 03:49 AM   #99
TowersNYC
Carlos V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse
The Orion will be a welcome addtion to N.Y.C.'s density. Loving the sleek glass cladding guys [IMG]http://www.**************/invboard/html/emoticons/wub.gif[/IMG]

BTW Carlos...

1) Is condo in U.S.-speak meaning apartments is Aussie-speak or something else? and...

2) What is the "zebra" building you speak of Carlos where you friend lives in N.Y.C.?

1) A Condo
When you purchase a condominium, you are purchasing the actual unit you will live in. You own it (as some have said) "from the inside paint in". If they do not involve major structural changes, you are free to make most decorating and rennovation decisions without acquiring permission (though you should check your contract if you are considering serious rennovation).

Most condomium complexes have an association board made up of owners.

This board oversees maintenance of common facilities and areas (like snow removal and lawn services) and maintenance of the buildings themselves (including exterior paint, damage repair and like issues). To pay for expenses involved in maintenance and repair, you will usually pay a monthly common fee or association fee.

The board will also act as mediator in disputes between owners, enforce complex regulations, and make decisions regarding special owner requests (like major rennovations).

If you want to rent or sell your condo, doing so is usually simply a matter of finding a qualified tenant or buyer. Tenants who rent condominiums are required to follow all rules and regulations for the community, and the owner is responsible for any violations.

2) The "Zebra" is the brown and Tan brick residential tower on 42nd street...it is 41 stories high.

Theatre Row Tower, built in 2001.

I Love NY

Last edited by TowersNYC; August 25th, 2005 at 04:06 AM.
Old August 29th, 2005, 10:47 PM   #100
TalB
Refugee

A recent shot from the Lincoln Tunnel.

Originally posted on Wired NY by Edward