daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 12th, 2017, 12:52 AM   #21
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValterPravnik View Post
It is not of a big difference between these regions except for the difference between northern coast cities and the rest
There actually is, but Tolbert is a bit overzealous showcasing literally every German town and so it all blurs together, looking fairly similar to laymen.

Titus-Pollo did a great job depicting only the very distinct architecture styles of France. I will be trying to do the same for Germany, even though Germany can't quite match France in this regard. France has the most diversity in Europe by far.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2017, 01:52 PM   #22
Velaxa

Likes (Received): 1419

People, how can you say Germany is diverse in architecture? Lol, maybe now, after the war, but in general, Germany looks just so similar.

Romania,
West regions influenced by central european culture,
East regions, influenced by orthodox-russian neo-classicism,
saxon cities in Transylvnaia , commie cities everywhere,
Bucharest is like a communist paris influenced by neo-romanian style,
Dobrogea balkanic feelings, mosques and oriental influences.

ValterPravnik liked this post

Last edited by Velaxa; August 12th, 2017 at 01:58 PM.
Velaxa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 05:33 PM   #23
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5325

Belgium PART 1

All differences are placed within 100km from eachother.
I will take examples of towns people from outside Belgium are usually not known with.

Examples of historic styles West of Brussels:
Main cities in this style: Bruges and Ghent

Lissewege
Lissewege by Rudy Pické, on Flickr

Veurne
The marketplace of Veurne, Belgium ( Unesco world heritage) by Frans Sellies, on Flickr

Damme
Damme by Emile Deguise, on Flickr

East Of Brussels:
Main cities in this style: Luik (BE), Namur (BE) and Maastricht (NL)

Sint-Truiden:

De Stadt van Luijck, Sint-Truiden by ArcheoNet Vlaanderen, on Flickr

Tongeren:

http://www.tongeren.be/dsresource?ob...osition=inline

North of Brussels
Main cities in this style: Antwerp

Mechelen:
Mechelen: Grote Markt by Margarit Jesikka, on Flickr

Sint-Niklaas
Sint-Niklaas by Peter, on Flickr

soren5en, Titus-Pullo liked this post

Last edited by joshsam; August 12th, 2017 at 05:40 PM.
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 05:52 PM   #24
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5325

Belgium Part 2

South of Samber adn Meuse river the architecturel landcape changes drastically. The use of brick and lime stones wich can be seen in Northern part (Flanders and Northern Wallonia) is replaced by the use of nature stone.
There are no big cities build in this style.

http://belgische-ardennen.com/wp-con...e-ardennen.jpg

Last edited by joshsam; August 12th, 2017 at 05:58 PM.
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2017, 08:55 PM   #25
emperormadness

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velaxa View Post
People, how can you say Germany is diverse in architecture? Lol, maybe now, after the war, but in general, Germany looks just so similar.

Romania,
West regions influenced by central european culture,
East regions, influenced by orthodox-russian neo-classicism,
saxon cities in Transylvnaia , commie cities everywhere,
Bucharest is like a communist paris influenced by neo-romanian style,
Dobrogea balkanic feelings, mosques and oriental influences.
To the first part of your post, please see what I wrote on the previous page, also what Tiaren said. I think you can just compare three small cities from different parts of Germany to realize that it does indeed have a lot of architectural variety: Landshut in Bavaria, Celle in Lower Saxony and Stralsund in the Hanseatic North.

As for Romania, I agree there is a lot of diversity there; in particular, I think one might differentiate the late 19th/early 20th century Austro-Hungarian architecture of Cluj, Oradea or Timisoara, the late medieval/renaissance German architecture of Sibiu and Brasov and the ecletic, mix of Paris-neo-Romanian and communist of Bucharest and some other major cities in Wallachia/Moldavia.

I think there is an argument to be made that smaller countries might have proportionally greater diversity than bigger countries such as France or Germany, even if they only have two or three distinct styles. Switzerland is an obvious example, Zurich feels a world apart from Geneva, which in turn is so different from Lugano, although I am sure language also contributes to the general impression. Romania is another example, and then so is Belgium (as you can see in joshsam's really nice pictures), with the difference between the historical Flanders (i.e. Brugge and Gent), Brabant, i.e. Antwerp and Brussels (which retains its origins mostly in the Grote Markt), Liege and then the rest of Wallonian territories such as Hainaut with Mons.
emperormadness no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2017, 08:22 AM   #26
Tolbert

Likes (Received): 1607

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
There actually is, but Tolbert is a bit overzealous showcasing literally every German town and so it all blurs together, looking fairly similar to laymen.
Yeah you have a point here. I think i got a bit carried away with my last two posts. I was a bit overwhealmed by the beauty of those cities I will reduce them a bit, and i will get more essentially with my next posts!

Last edited by Tolbert; August 14th, 2017 at 09:16 AM.
Tolbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2017, 05:53 PM   #27
IVAN-RSM
Twitter: @IVAN_RSM

Likes (Received): 573

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...6&postcount=50
Old August 18th, 2017, 10:30 PM   #28
greg111

Likes (Received): 385

Danzig
https://brylla-reisen.de/files/bryll...angermarkt.jpg

Well, this is not the best example of the differentiation of German urban architecture. Most of the front and left flanks were built after 1946. The houses used plasters and baroque details to make them more "Polish" They were supposed to resemble Danzig appearance when it belonged to the Kingdom of Poland and although patricians spoke German, the city was politically part of the Polish Kingdom. It would be equally useful to point out Danzig as an example of the differentiation of the architecture of Polish cities. The Breslau and Hirschberg markets are also largely Polish reconstruction or a historical creation that rather reminisces more or less the earlier architecture.
But, the thread is generally very interesting
greg111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2017, 04:18 PM   #29
catcha
Ich bin ein Lubliner.

Likes (Received): 2313

stop trolling, Gdansk/Danzig originates its historical core from Hanseatic times and was German as such for around 10% of its time on map of Europe.
catcha no está en línea   Reply With Quote