daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 23rd, 2005, 07:54 AM   #121
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10131

Quote:
Originally Posted by phi1ip

Bear in mind 21st Century Tower has a whopping great spire on top, whereas Eureka has apartments right up to 280 metres. I believe apartments up to level 55 (i.e. the lower setback) are just about to be occupied in the next three months, at which point Eureka can (briefly) take the crown from Dubai... I believe there's a 340 metre high all-residential use one u/c which is due 2007 or so.

I'm amused people are writing this building off (and apologising) when:
a) it's clear few of the renders have captured the unusual geometries of the building's crown - it really has to be appreciated from many angles!
b) only the core has topped out, and we are just now beginning to see the floorplates give definition to the tapering form of the tower from level 55 upwards.
c) as has been pointed out by Grollo, even if the mast goes ahead - and it may not! - even then, the design we have seen thus far is not necessarily set in stone.
Dubai now have some real talls UC.
they have 4 resi towers uc taller then Eureka . If Eureka gets mast approval there will be just one higher (23 marina).

all these are pure residential

23 Marina - 380 m /90 /2008
Princess Tower - 340 m/ 90 /2009
Najd Tower -340m / 82 /2008
Ocean Heights -310 m /82/ 2007
Bright Start Tower - 280 m/ 59/ 2007

Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2005, 08:14 AM   #122
isoboy

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barsby
ever been up close to it since it has topped out isoboy?
No, I haven't been to Melbourne since January. Do tell me what amazing revelation has transpired since then, which will completely change my opinion, and which is not evident in any of these photos.
isoboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 08:22 AM   #123
isoboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakor1
Up until recently I would agree with you, but the interesting part is only just starting to come to light . The pinnacle of this building will be its crowning glory, intersecting angles and a gleaming golden summit. Yum.

Stu
I'll have to wait until it's complete, but I don't like the gold summit at all, from what I've seen in renderings. A gold-capped skyscraper will comletely clash with the rest of the building, and Melbourne's skyline in general, IMO. I'd actually like the building much more without the disharmonious pinnacle.

God knows, if a gold-capped skyscraper went up in Sydney or Brisbane, it would be endlessly disparaged as "tacky" by Melburnians...
Old May 23rd, 2005, 08:43 AM   #124
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10131

^ hey sydney already has a 300m gold capped structure!! lol

Old May 23rd, 2005, 09:32 AM   #125
isoboy

Which just highlights my point - many people opine that it's tacky as hell!
Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:01 AM   #126
Drunkill
Lord Melbourne

Likes (Received): 1004

Yes i like Centrepoint, but i hope E's glass is better looking =\ that looks like bronze, in a way... plus thats not glass is it? Anyway we will see...
Old May 23rd, 2005, 10:33 AM   #127
Barsby
Arsenal4Life

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by isoboy
No, I haven't been to Melbourne since January. Do tell me what amazing revelation has transpired since then, which will completely change my opinion, and which is not evident in any of these photos.

well there are foto's and there is real life. Come and have a look at it, and if ur not amazed by the Eureka then there is either something wrong with u, or ur just saying it because of the sydney Melbourne rivalry, something which i am quite frankly sick to death of. We are all Australians and can be proud of Eureka!
Barsby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 11:12 AM   #128
isoboy

Quote:
if ur not amazed by the Eureka then there is either something wrong with u, or ur just saying it because of the sydney Melbourne rivalry
There is no right or wrong when it comes to aesthetic opinions. I would never say "there is something wrong with you" just because you didn't agree with my assessment of a building. How old are you? 12? And BTW, I do not buy into Sydney-Melbourne rivalry - I'm not from either city. I live in Sydney at the moment, but actually prefer Melbourne in many ways.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 11:15 AM   #129
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

I'm liking Eureka more and more as the floorplates catch up to the core. In some of those pics, it's looking supertall!
Wezza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 12:39 PM   #130
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkill
Yes i like Centrepoint, but i hope E's glass is better looking =\ that looks like bronze, in a way... plus thats not glass is it? Anyway we will see...
I have said it before and I will say it again, Eureka looks fantastic, I just hope the glass at the summit is Mandalay Bay style highly reflective metallic gold glass. We have been let down by Q1 but it seems that Eureka will live up to each and every expectation.
Avatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2005, 02:03 PM   #131
Peyre
Waiting for 122

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse
A beautiful pic taken (again) by uewepuep, from his Eureka webcam @ http://www.melbournephotos.net

Peyre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2005, 05:48 AM   #132
Barsby
Arsenal4Life

Quote:
There is no right or wrong when it comes to aesthetic opinions. I would never say "there is something wrong with you" just because you didn't agree with my assessment of a building. How old are you? 12? And BTW, I do not buy into Sydney-Melbourne rivalry - I'm not from either city. I live in Sydney at the moment, but actually prefer Melbourne in many ways.
yeh i'm 12 .......bottom line is u cant make a fair assessment of a building unless u see it in the flesh. So yeh there is something wrong with u if u believe that you can.
Old May 25th, 2005, 12:22 AM   #133
Mikey
Aerial Erector

Likes (Received): 9

Beautiful........
Old May 25th, 2005, 09:25 AM   #134
isoboy

Quote:
yeh i'm 12 .......bottom line is u cant make a fair assessment of a building unless u see it in the flesh. So yeh there is something wrong with u if u believe that you can.
Then why are you even on skyscrapercity? These forums are all about posting pics of skyscrapers (or renderings or models) around the world and discussing them. Or do you fly to each and every individual site before making comment? Somehow, I doubt it.

Like most people here, I have seen numerous Eureka renderings. I have seen the latest pics. I have also been to the site several times over the construction phase, as recently as a few months ago. I am familiar with how the project has progressed, how it looks now, and how it is meant to look upon completion. If I want to comment, I will. By your logic, this thread is restricted to Melburnians or forumers currently visiting the city. Ridiculous.
Old May 25th, 2005, 09:41 AM   #135
Principes
To Engineer is Human

Gold tip already!!
Old May 25th, 2005, 10:07 AM   #136
Barsby
Arsenal4Life

Quote:
Then why are you even on skyscrapercity? These forums are all about posting pics of skyscrapers (or renderings or models) around the world and discussing them. Or do you fly to each and every individual site before making comment? Somehow, I doubt it.

Like most people here, I have seen numerous Eureka renderings. I have seen the latest pics. I have also been to the site several times over the construction phase, as recently as a few months ago. I am familiar with how the project has progressed, how it looks now, and how it is meant to look upon completion. If I want to comment, I will. By your logic, this thread is restricted to Melburnians or forumers currently visiting the city. Ridiculous.
feel free to comment, just dont expect everyone to agree with what you're commenting on.
Old May 25th, 2005, 10:26 AM   #137
isoboy

Quote:
feel free to comment, just dont expect everyone to agree with what you're commenting on.
My point, exactly. I'm glad you agree.
Old May 25th, 2005, 11:10 AM   #138
Curtain

Likes (Received): 748

Yeah the spire is not an elegant solution, its slap dash.
I don't there are many people who like it who would complain if it was altered for aesthetics.

At least the Dubai tower spires / pinnacles actually look congruous to the design of the tower.

Still its a great unknown, we haven't heard anything since it was proposed so we can admire / complain about it when and if it happens.
Old May 25th, 2005, 11:13 AM   #139
Curtain

Likes (Received): 748

Oh sorry, its the Gold Crown we hate - havent heard of that one
Curtain no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2005, 02:27 AM   #140
mello
babylon falling

I can't wait to be there in person to see that. Melbourne's skyline is really shaping up to be a classic.
mello no está en línea   Reply With Quote