daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers > Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 8th, 2017, 08:20 PM   #1
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3592

LOS ANGELES | Angels Landing | Pro

Per Urbanize LA and the Downtown Times, four finalists have been selected to redevelop Angel's Knoll.

From Urbanize:
Quote:
...The 2.4-acre site, located at the northwest corner of 4th and Hill Streets, is entitled for a building of up to 1.3 million square feet in size. According to the Downtown News, the City has now selected four finalists to develop the site, which has been dubbed Angel's Landing.
From DT:
Quote:
... All four are currently working on, or recently wrapped, other projects in Downtown.

Although no proposed designs have been revealed, the project is expected to be a skyscraper that includes any or all of an office, residential and hotel component.

One finalist is Lowe Enterprises, which opened the Garey Building in the Arts District last year; the national builder with a roster of projects from hotel to office to residential is partnering with the Downtown office of the architecture firm Gensler.

Also on the list is Canadian developer Onni Group, which is working on a number of apartment towers in Downtown, including the redevelopment of Times Mirror Square. It is paired with San Francisco’s Natoma Architects, perhaps best known in L.A. as the architect behind the Palladium Residences, the Hollywood mixed-use project at the heart of the Measure S anti-development fight.

The Peebles Corporation, MacFarlane Group and Claridge Properties, plus the design firm of Handel Architects, compose the third team. MacFarlane is currently developing the Park Fifth residential project just north of Pershing Square. Handel’s local projects include the completed 40-story residential tower Ten Thousand Santa Monica, and the Millennium Hollywood redevelopment that will create 1 million square feet of apartments and shopping.

The fourth finalist is Trammell Crow Company, which is in the midst of construction of a mixed-use project, La Plaza Village, near Olvera Street (the county of Los Angeles is a partner in the effort). It has teamed with Beijing’s MAD Architects, which drew up the curving space-age Lucas Museum at Exposition Park.

The four teams will now prepare formal plans, which must be submitted by Oct. 16. The final selection will happen in late fall, according to the office of 14th District City Councilman José Huizar.

“I’m happy to see the City take an important step forward in activating Angels Landing,” Huizar said in a statement to Los Angeles Downtown News. “Whatever team is ultimately selected, I believe the project’s goal should be to create an iconic project that efficiently utilizes the available space, while providing much-needed green space and seamlessly incorporating the historic Angels Flight rail line.

The Angels Landing property has no limits on height and flexible zoning that allows for residential, retail and commercial uses. It was appraised at more than $20 million in 2015.

BLACK DAHLIA, anakngpasig, aquaticko liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2017, 11:03 PM   #2
MarshallKnight

With unlimited height, direct connections to Metro Rail, and an ideal location between Bunker Hill, Civic Center and the Historic Core, this site has the potential to be the new centerpiece of the DTLA skyline. My hopes are very high, although I'm trying to temper my expectations.

Of the architect/developer teams on the short list, I'm not quite sure who I'm rooting to get the bid.

Gensler and Handel have the most experience with high rise architecture, and of course Gensler is behind Shanghai Tower, easily one of the best supertalls ever built...

I think our best hope is that Gensler approaches this opportunity to redefine their hometown skyline by putting their A-team on the job and delivering a tower of that same caliber.

Handel I'm less excited about. I find most of their buildings pretty bland (10000 SMB among them), but a few towers, such as 115 Winthrop in Botson...

...suggest they're capable of strong, if not completely groundbreaking work.

MAD could be fascinating. They do some very experimental stuff like the Absolute Towers...

...which could be great or could be terrible for such a prominent building.

Natoma's sort of a wild card. They do great low-and-mid-rise, very LA appropriate architecture like the new Palladium towers...

But they've done almost no high-rises.
Old August 8th, 2017, 11:13 PM   #3
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

Agreed!!Gensler is the one...(but LA is not their hometown!)
Handel is one of my favorite...musician!

MarshallKnight liked this post
BLACK DAHLIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2017, 11:37 PM   #4
MarshallKnight

LOS ANGELES | Angel's Landing | Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DAHLIA View Post
Agreed!!Gensler is the one...(but LA is not their hometown!)
Shoot, I always forget they were founded in SF -- well their home-state, in any case.

The Gensler LA office, as I gathered during my visit, has a ton of local pride. Since they've been watching AC Martin's supertall rise right out their window for the past couple years, I'm sure they're dying for the opportunity to design their own (potentially tallest) icon for the West coast.

Last edited by MarshallKnight; August 9th, 2017 at 07:20 AM.
Old August 8th, 2017, 11:39 PM   #5
tanzirian

Likes (Received): 492

Unless I'm mistaken, thread title should be changed to "Angel's Landing" not "Angel's Flight"

Angel's Flight is the name of a famous old funicular in downtown LA.
tanzirian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2017, 11:58 PM   #6
MarshallKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanzirian View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, thread title should be changed to "Angel's Landing" not "Angel's Flight"
Yup, total brain fart (I think I was midway through reading the part of the article about incorporating Angel's Flight into the development when I posted).

Edit: Updated!

Last edited by MarshallKnight; August 9th, 2017 at 04:16 AM.
Old August 9th, 2017, 12:32 AM   #7
BWYuko

Likes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
With unlimited height, direct connections to Metro Rail, and an ideal location between Bunker Hill, Civic Center and the Historic Core, this site has the potential to be the new centerpiece of the DTLA skyline. My hopes are very high, although I'm trying to temper my expectations.
When we started hearing whispers of this proposal a few months back, the potential for something incredible was immediately apparent, but it all seemed too good to be true. A vacant, cheap, massive downtown plot with loose zoning rights, municipal backing, no height restrictions, and mass transit connections -- it was such a perfect combination of everything needed to build the tallest thing in the city, it had to be just another silly, dismissible vision or rumor.

I'm so delighted to see this is now a formal proposal. Let's hope they don't squander the opportunity to build a landmark tower here before the games in 2028. Could end the frivolous LA height debate once and for all, but yes -- let's not count our chickens before they've hatched.
Old August 10th, 2017, 11:25 AM   #8
chjbolton
chjbolton

Likes (Received): 75

CAN. NOT. WAIT.
Old August 24th, 2017, 09:50 PM   #9
Luke09

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:

Of the architect/developer teams on the short list, I'm not quite sure who I'm rooting to get the bid.

Gensler and Handel have the most experience with high rise architecture, and of course Gensler is behind Shanghai Tower, easily one of the best supertalls ever built...

I think our best hope is that Gensler approaches this opportunity to redefine their hometown skyline by putting their A-team on the job and delivering a tower of that same caliber.

Handel I'm less excited about. I find most of their buildings pretty bland (10000 SMB among them), but a few towers, such as 115 Winthrop in Botson...

...suggest they're capable of strong, if not completely groundbreaking work.

MAD could be fascinating. They do some very experimental stuff like the Absolute Towers...

...which could be great or could be terrible for such a prominent building.

Natoma's sort of a wild card. They do great low-and-mid-rise, very LA appropriate architecture like the new Palladium towers...

But they've done almost no high-rises.
Natoma just went up a notch for me after seeing the latest renderings for the Hollywood Palladium, if they're behind those

MarshallKnight liked this post
Luke09 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2017, 10:43 PM   #10
pesto

Likes (Received): 3057

I wasn't expecting much until I came here. Now I'm primed for major disappointment.

The new renderings for the Palladium were a bit of shock to me after seeing the original ones. Quite a new look for LA, which is generally not that cutting edge (leaving aside Gehry, Mayne and Moss who rarely do skyscrapers). Maybe it's LA's time to get some excitement.

BLACK DAHLIA, aquamaroon liked this post
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2017, 10:30 PM   #11
MarshallKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke09 View Post
Natoma just went up a notch for me after seeing the latest renderings for the Hollywood Palladium, if they're behind those
Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
The new renderings for the Palladium were a bit of shock to me after seeing the original ones. Quite a new look for LA, which is generally not that cutting edge (leaving aside Gehry, Mayne and Moss who rarely do skyscrapers). Maybe it's LA's time to get some excitement.
Alas, the new renders are by Large Architecture, who I agree have a strong signature style -- too bad they're not also among the competitors.

Pesto, you've got me quaking in my boots thinking about a Moss supertall. Is the world ready for such a thing?

Edit: Correction, apparently those Large Arch renders are old. Still gorgeous though.

Last edited by MarshallKnight; August 26th, 2017 at 05:07 AM.
Old September 7th, 2017, 07:17 PM   #12
BWYuko

Likes (Received): 63

In case anyone is unfamiliar with the plot:

It's a little over 2 acres, with the Angel's Flight funicular riding up the side:

The funicular is a historic landmark, which just re-opened to the general public last week on August 31st after a long period of downtime for maintenance.

October 16th submission deadline is 5 weeks away! Sometime later in October/November, one of the four finalists will be selected. Hopefully we get some good news (or even a render or two) before 2018.

msquaredb, gaab1972, aquamaroon, Kenni liked this post
BWYuko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2017, 04:31 AM   #13
aquamaroon

Likes (Received): 3042

18 days away now from the submission deadline! Nothing announced to speak of yet, but soon!

Quote:
I know!! I'm trying to keep myself in check too, it's so hard though.
aquamaroon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2017, 04:43 AM   #14
aquamaroon

I think of the finalists MarshallKnight posted, Gensler is probably the safest choice. They've already designed an incredible supertall in Shanghai, and they know LA extremely well and have plenty of work in this city. And I could see them giving their all for LA!

Of the other architects MAD is the most interesting to me. I really like Ma Yansong's work, and something at this level has the chance to be really spectacular. And in a geopolitical sense, it'd be a nice touch if LA's largest and grandest building had design roots in China and the Eastern Pacific Rim, a sign that we are "open for business" across the Pacific so to speak!

MAD has already done some nice standout work in LA as well. Their biggest project so far in town is the new Lucas Museum of Narrative Art, set to break ground next year in Exposition Park:

In a smaller project, Ma's firm has also designed a small townhouse development on Wilshire Blvd. just over the city line in Beverly Hills:

MarshallKnight, WillBuild, teddybear liked this post

Last edited by aquamaroon; September 29th, 2017 at 04:48 AM.
Old October 18th, 2017, 11:44 PM   #15
totojuice

Likes (Received): 7

Any word on the 4 designs? Does anyone know when they'll be unveiled to the public?

chjbolton liked this post
totojuice no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2017, 09:34 PM   #16
totojuice

Likes (Received): 7

HOPING FOR ELEGANT LEDs.....

Hoping at least one of the submissions incorporates LEDs in a beautiful way.... I've always loved what Jean Nouvel did with Doha Tower....such a jewel....

totojuice no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 12:39 AM   #17
aquamaroon

Today is a big day!! If you're able and interested there is a public meeting planned downtown for the project this evening:

Also a sign popped up today on Angel's Landing. From photographer Hunter Kerhart via Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&theater&ifg=1

Angels Tower Coming Soon?! We'll see soon I guess!

Kenni liked this post
Old October 24th, 2017, 01:03 AM   #18
Kenni
What?

I like the design, but it looks like a 50 story building, I want massive, I want tall....¡ grande por favor, enorme !.

aquamaroon, redspork02 liked this post
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 01:18 AM   #19
MarshallKnight

Something about this seems suspicious to me. They're already putting signage up before an official announcement?

Further, this design doesn't seem to fit the signature style of any of our finalists. And upon a quick Google search, there doesn't appear to be a relevant listing for "Walker Construction," at least not a major construction firm that could realistically build a skyscraper.

I'm going to reserve judgment until we get word from the meeting this evening, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was not the design.

aquamaroon, Kenni liked this post
Old October 24th, 2017, 01:28 AM   #20
aquamaroon

I'm kinda with you guys, personally this looks more like a prop for a TV show/Film than anything else! That wouldn't be a rare site in this town by any means. However, Walker Construction is a real company, at least there is A company that goes by that name from Washington State (Website). And Angels' Tower is obviously in line with the presentation today, so we'll see!

And I'm with you Kenni, with this site... go Supertall or go home!!

ETA: good job on the internet sleuthing MarshallKnight! You're right, the company I found didn't realistically seem in the supertall tower business so that was a bit of straw grasping on my part.

Kenni liked this post