daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers > Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 24th, 2017, 01:31 AM   #21
aquamaroon

Likes (Received): 3042

From the DTLA Development Facebook Group, some new (to us) renders of a previous design we had seen for the site, which may be one of the finalist designs (not sure though) from M-Rad architects:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&theater&ifg=1

aquamaroon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2017, 03:51 AM   #22
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

That will be budget cut to pieces, but I hope it gets some really great cladding!

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 07:19 AM   #23
aquamaroon

Alright! Some news is starting to trickle out onto the DTLA Development Facebook page!

From Josh Albrektson via Facebook:

Quote:
Three proposals. The most interesting thing about the first one is that they will lease the entire building to UCLA.

Onni did a block building.

MacFarland did the tallest building and in my humble opinion the best.

Both Onni and MacFarland builds an elementary school.

More comments in the thread chain linked. The MacFarland building seems to be a hit from the commenters; it's the tallest project. It's JUST under 1000 ft, which is on the shorter side of what we were hoping for and a tad disappointing, but hey it'd be another supertall in town! (and if Figueroa Centre can add another ten feet then will have 4 supertalls in town, not too shabby for now!) Also interesting that it was only three proposals and not four; it'll be interesting to hear what happened to the fourth proposal (I'm assuming it's the group that was using the MAD architecture firm.)

Here are some photos taken from the meeting by Facebook user Michael Shaolian. From the description it sounds like the stock of boxes design is Omni:

Old October 24th, 2017, 07:27 AM   #24
aquamaroon

And here we go! From the Facebook of DTLA city council member Jose Huizar:

McFarland/Peebles/Claridge

Lowe & Gensler

Omni

Quote:
Here are the 3 proposed design renderings for the Angels Landing site. Which one is your favorite ?
The first three are by McFarland/Peebles/Claridge. The next three are by Lowe & Gensler. The final three are by Onni Group.

My two cents? MacFarland is number one followed by Gensler at a close second. Not too crazy about the Omni proposal (which of course I've now reversed jinxed and that's what we'll get! )
Old October 24th, 2017, 08:22 AM   #25
aquamaroon

Here is the Urbanize article for the project:

First Look at the Skyline-Altering Options for Angels Landing

Here are some quick bullet points from the article for each proposal:

Quote:
Los Angeles-based developer Lowe Enterprises gave the first presentation of the night, along side project partners Cisneros Miramontes, Gensler, and RELM Studio. The group has merged together under the team name Angels Landing Develompent Partners, or ALDP.

ALDP's 1.27-million-square-foot proposal, rising to a maximum height of 883 feet above ground level, is envisioned as an urban campus for UCLA, inspired by the extension of the Purple Line subway. At the time of its completion, the Purple Line would offer an approximately 20-minute one-seat ride between Pershing Square station and UCLA's main campus in Westwood.

Plans call for:

655 residences geared toward UCLA faculty
600,000 square feet of academic and office space, as well as "synergistic private sector tenants."
200,000 square feet of Cultural and Civic Space for public programs.
The development team also spoke of a business incubator, which would potentially spur new start up activity in the adjacent Historic Core.

Quote:
Vancouver-based Onni Group, one of the most aggressive investors in Downtown Los Angeles over the past five years, presented second with their architect Stanley Saitowitz.

Their proposal calls for two towers, centered around a new staircase leading from Hill Street to California Plaza. A smaller 410-foot building at 4th and Olive Streets would include condominiums and a hotel. The second building, rising to an architectural peak of 840 feet, would include rental apartments above ground-floor commercial space and space for an elementary school.

In designing the project, Saitowitz drew inspiration from the property's immediate surroundings. The grid-pattern facade and stack of cube-like masses draw from the city's street grid and the Historic Core's proliferation of vintage mid-rise buildings. Public open space across the property takes inspiration from the design and form of Angels Flight, with plazas named for the two vehicles - Sinai and Olivet.

Quote:
The final presentation of the night came from Angels Landing Partners, a joint venture between MacFarlane Partners, the Peebles Corporation, and Claridge Properties, along with the design firms Handel Architects and Olin.

Their project is imagined with two towers - a 24-story edifice at 4th and Olive Streets and a sleek 88-story structure fronting Hill.

A full buildout of the project would include:

400 rental apartments - with 20 units for individuals earning 80 to 120 percent of area median income
250 condominiums
500 hotel rooms operated by SLS and Mondrian
50,000 square feet of retail space
A K-5 public charter school operated by Los Academy of Arts and Enterprise.

The project would set aside approximately 57,000 square feet of publicly accessible open space, including a 13,700-square-foot plaza along Hill and Angels Terrace - a 25,000-square-foot elevated plaza at the center of the property.

The larger of the two buildings, which would stand approximately 1,000 feet above street level, is intended as a "bookend" to the skyline with the nearby U.S. Bank Tower.
(emphasis mine)

Interesting point mentioned in the article on the last project, the partnership is minority backed, and this development would be the largest minority-owned development in the history of LA, and possibly the nation! I highlight that because it may provide a leg up considering that this may help the project politically with the LA City Council. And that'd be fine with me, that 1,000 footer is a beauty

Anyways, more renders of everything over on the Urbanize.la article

Hudson11, EPA001, aquaticko liked this post
Old October 24th, 2017, 08:49 AM   #26
aquamaroon

Sorry if I'm spamming the thread!... but just one quick additional thought to the proposals above: while I like the Angels Landing Partners project the most, the Gensler ALDP proposal would be an incredible project for DTLA and the whole region!

Having UCLA anchored in downtown, via the Purple line connection to Westwood, would:

- bring hundreds (thousands?) of white collar jobs into the historic core, promoting the kind of business activity we need downtown.
- in addition it would bring college students and all sorts of visitors into the downtown area who wouldn't normally come. They would bring their discretionary spending, AND it would also inspire young UCLA start-ups to plant their flag downtown.
- it would help to psychologically orient the center of LA back to the downtown region and promote urbanism in the region as a whole.
- with the purple line connection, it would be a strong driver for ridership on public transit and our rail system, and spur more aggressive interest in Transit Oriented Development.

So yeah, I think for the city as a whole, the UCLA project would be a real boon. They just need to make it a little taller! I mean, c'mon UCLA, there's already this building downtown:

Mack Urban 1120 S Grand by HunterKerhart.com, on Flickr

Don't you want to really stick it to the Trojans??

EPA001, aquaticko liked this post
Old October 24th, 2017, 08:56 AM   #27
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3592

I can't say I'm in love with any of the three, but I'll put in my two cents.

The Gensler proposal is my favorite: the tower portion is the most sophisticated and best looking of the bunch, although I wish it was taller. I love the idea of an urban campus for UCLA (go Bruins!) in the heart of downtown. The many-tiered base is impressive, activating all corners at several different elevations, with an interesting mix of programs. Still, I'd like to see what the non-university version of this proposal might have looked like -- if they offloaded some of the bulk from the base, they might have stretched some of their square footage into a taller, sleeker tower, that might've been a little more welcoming from street level.

Handel is my #2: obviously the height is nice (although I'm still surprised none of these proposals broke the 1000 ft. mark) but the street-level activation is exactly what I was hoping for. They really nailed the "urban hill" concept, and I think this would be by far the nicest of the bunch to wander through as a pedestrian. However, the tower itself is... well it's Handel. It's intensely forgettable.

Saitowitz's stack of boxes does nothing for me. I guess it will be "contextual" once the nearby Jenga tower of pools at Pershing Square, the other stack of boxes at 2nd/Broadway, and Gehry's Grand Ave project all rise... but honestly, I am ready for that trend to topple over and die already. It really doesn't help that they failed to include better renders of the pedestrian areas, but from the available images, this does not seem inviting at all.

Curious to know what's next, whether the competitors will be given the opportunity to further refine, if the community will get any say, or if the council will just pick one.

BLACK DAHLIA liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 01:20 PM   #28
Kenni
What?

Good visions but I can't help to be a little disappointed. Enough with the off-set cubes already! The UCLA one is ok, but I hate the bottom, such huge podium type base creating that huge "wall" all around, very un-inviting at street leven. Meh! MacFarland I guess.

A smidge disappointing....I took a look at the buildings built an being built in Mexico City and it puts all to shame.

baisaroff liked this post
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 07:11 PM   #29
totojuice

Likes (Received): 7

3 FINALIST DESIGNS

Unfortunately nothing above 1,000 feet..... Handel is best IMHO, Onni is second .....VERY disappointed with Gensler's uninspired entry that would be better suited for Buffalo than Los Angeles (no offense to Buffalo). How can the same people that brought us the spectacular Shanghai Tower propose this embarrassment and keep a straight face? Unlimited heights restrictions, prime location in Los Angeles....baffling.

GENSLER:

ONNI:

HANDEL:

https://urbanize.la/post/first-look-...angels-landing

Munwon, Kenni liked this post

Last edited by totojuice; October 24th, 2017 at 07:16 PM.
totojuice no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 07:17 PM   #30
pesto

Likes (Received): 3057

Some quick thoughts.

The area is currently bodies lying on the ground and zombies looking for handouts. This inclines me toward any proposal that privatizes land and makes access to the subway difficult. The city should make sure the final proposal does that.

Don't worry about height; it's what happening on the ground that matters. For the hundredth time: Greenwich Village is fabulous; Midtown and Wall St. are not. Same for a dozen other cities from SF to Paris to London, etc.

The UCLA tie-in is irrelevant; that can be put into any project if UCLA has any interest. I'm not sure why they would since they already have the Purple Line coming to Westwood so that anyone who wants to live DT and commute can do so.

The area needs greenery. I would incline toward any project pushing that.

All three proposals get the idea that open space and connection to the subway are critical; each can be tweaked to improve those areas if necessary. Generally, a very strong set of proposals.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 08:49 PM   #31
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 858

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Some quick thoughts.

The area is currently bodies lying on the ground and zombies looking for handouts. This inclines me toward any proposal that privatizes land and makes access to the subway difficult. The city should make sure the final proposal does that.

Don't worry about height; it's what happening on the ground that matters. For the hundredth time: Greenwich Village is fabulous; Midtown and Wall St. are not. Same for a dozen other cities from SF to Paris to London, etc.

The UCLA tie-in is irrelevant; that can be put into any project if UCLA has any interest. I'm not sure why they would since they already have the Purple Line coming to Westwood so that anyone who wants to live DT and commute can do so.

The area needs greenery. I would incline toward any project pushing that.

All three proposals get the idea that open space and connection to the subway are critical; each can be tweaked to improve those areas if necessary. Generally, a very strong set of proposals.
According to the rep from Lowe / Gensler, UCLA has an explicit interest in a downtown LA campus. Its in their plans.

All 3 projects will have schools btw... Onni and Macfarlane will have k to 5 Charter schools and Gensler with UCLA (and we asked about potentially adding an elementary and they said they need to confer with UCLA on that but its possible)
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 09:39 PM   #32
Origincountry
Hyperdensity Dweller

Likes (Received): 21

I think the Handel proposal is the obvious winner, due to the overall unity of the design. Both the base and the tower actually look like one varied structure instead of a clunky addition like the Gensler proposal, or the outright predictable Omni design. I like the base and the tower of the Gensler design as separate things, the base would be a pretty interesting mid-rise and the tower is sleek with a cool facade, but the way the two are married seems lazy and confusing. I will give that the Gensler design is probably the most functionally interesting, but in my opinion the Handel proposal is the most polished looking, in terms of aesthetics. Also the shape of the Handel design isn't typical for LA, and it will stand out due to that even if the design isn't the most groundbreaking.

MarshallKnight, baisaroff, loko_man13 liked this post
Origincountry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 10:40 PM   #33
pesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
According to the rep from Lowe / Gensler, UCLA has an explicit interest in a downtown LA campus. Its in their plans.

All 3 projects will have schools btw... Onni and Macfarlane will have k to 5 Charter schools and Gensler with UCLA (and we asked about potentially adding an elementary and they said they need to confer with UCLA on that but its possible)
Per the article UCLA seemed pretty non-committal about this proposal.

Per my contacts at UCLA, they are looking for an area with large amounts of affordable housing. This wouldn't seem to be it, but who knows.

Last edited by pesto; October 24th, 2017 at 11:21 PM.
Old October 24th, 2017, 11:25 PM   #34
pesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origincountry View Post
I think the Handel proposal is the obvious winner, due to the overall unity of the design. Both the base and the tower actually look like one varied structure instead of a clunky addition like the Gensler proposal, or the outright predictable Omni design. I like the base and the tower of the Gensler design as separate things, the base would be a pretty interesting mid-rise and the tower is sleek with a cool facade, but the way the two are married seems lazy and confusing. I will give that the Gensler design is probably the most functionally interesting, but in my opinion the Handel proposal is the most polished looking, in terms of aesthetics. Also the shape of the Handel design isn't typical for LA, and it will stand out due to that even if the design isn't the most groundbreaking.
Overall unity of design isn't much of a concern when you are surrounded by a 100 year old railway and buildings from every era. To say nothing of a hill, a subway and hosts of derelicts. In urban contexts relating to the given environment is more critical.
Old October 25th, 2017, 02:34 AM   #35
Kenni
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by totojuice View Post
Unfortunately nothing above 1,000 feet..... Handel is best IMHO, Onni is second .....VERY disappointed with Gensler's uninspired entry that would be better suited for Buffalo than Los Angeles (no offense to Buffalo). How can the same people that brought us the spectacular Shanghai Tower propose this embarrassment and keep a straight face? Unlimited heights restrictions, prime location in Los Angeles....baffling.
Absolutely correct. No doubt about it. That is exactly part of the huge disappointment in all of this, Gensler....oy! LA is the future, look at the Lucas museum....Disney Concert Hall, Wilshire Grand......
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2017, 08:30 AM   #36
circuitfiend

Likes (Received): 17

I find it amazing that people judge a building's architecture by the potential tenants who may or may not inhabit said proposed building.
circuitfiend no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2017, 09:31 AM   #37
Yackemflaber68

Likes (Received): 180

handel
Yackemflaber68 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2017, 09:53 PM   #38
totojuice

Likes (Received): 7

One potential
totojuice no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2017, 11:49 PM   #39
JMGA196

Likes (Received): 5158

My opinion:

On the Gensler design: The tower itself looks amazing, I'm pretty sure the cladding would be top notch. The crown looks great, but the one thing I hate and in my opinion destroys the rest of the proposal is the podium. It's simply ugly, can't say much more than that.

On the OMNI design: Wow, another stacked boxes design but this one has a really boring facade so it's different to other stacked boxes designs around the world. How exciting.

On the Handel design: Doesn't look bad at all, I think it would fit LA's skyline pretty nicely, and the little we can see of the podium, looks good. I'd like to see more renderings.

Mimar Sinan - Sebastian Treese - Sejima - Nishizawa - Pawson - Horia Creangă - McKim, Mead & White - Gord Scott - Peter Pennoyer - Charles Hilton - Annabelle Selldorf - Roman and Williams - Morris Adjmi - Diller Scofidio + Renfro

★★★ MAKE ARCHITECTURE GREAT AGAIN! ★★★
JMGA196 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2017, 12:15 AM   #40
meteoforumitalia

Likes (Received): 10971

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamaroon View Post
Today is a big day!! If you're able and interested there is a public meeting planned downtown for the project this evening:

Also a sign popped up today on Angel's Landing. From photographer Hunter Kerhart via Facebook:

Angels Tower Coming Soon?! We'll see soon I guess!
I'm sorry, but the design doesn't look nice to me, and if the proportions are right, it doesn't even seem to be a significantly huge (tall) building...hope it's just a draft

ps and ot: omg, the Absolute towers posted here are so amazing, gorgeous

edited: ops, I saw now the second page
meteoforumitalia no está en línea   Reply With Quote