daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 20th, 2005, 02:11 PM   #21
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3695

Good news, since you rarely see skyscrapers in Rome. I am glad it is not in the historical center though. I think this thing on the top should be in the middle of the roof though.

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2005, 03:31 PM   #22
Grygry
Grygry

Likes (Received): 30

The rendering is also a catastrophe. I wait for a better one to make up my mind.
Grygry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2005, 08:44 PM   #23
Prestonian

Likes (Received): 62

Not sure i like that one... Somehow, from looking at that mexican version, it seems that an arched building like that should be the surprise at a centre of a cluster, not a stand alone.
Prestonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2005, 12:27 AM   #24
CAESARS-PALACe

I see Nightsky has made a nice drawing of the building for the Rome-diagram on Skyscraperpage :

http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?c896

CAESARS-PALACe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2005, 01:34 AM   #25
Urban Dave
In Urbanity I Trust

Likes (Received): 1518

Some of the proposals look very nice!
Urban Dave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2005, 02:24 AM   #26
Nick in Atlanta

Likes (Received): 5

Rome should definitely follow Paris's example and keep the skyscrapers out of the old city. It looks like many of the skyscrapers standing now are in a segregated area, even if they are surrounded by the old city. These new buildings should definitely be built outside of the city limits, IMHO.
Nick in Atlanta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2005, 02:54 AM   #27
Turbosnail

Likes (Received): 266

No. Please not in Rome. Anywhere else but Rome.
Turbosnail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2005, 04:32 AM   #28
CAESARS-PALACe

Yes but EUR is far from the historical center, even further from the city than La Defense in Paris for example. EUR and it's modern buildings are not visble from the center. On this website you find a good description of the area :

http://www.italyheaven.co.uk/rome/areas/eur.html

EUR started as a giant project during the fascist era for the World Fair of 1942.It was designed as a "modern vision" of a New Rome, a completely new city outside Rome. Of course with a fascist inspiration and thus with monumental neo-classical buildings but also with modern "rationalistic" architecture. The construction began in the 1930's but was stopped when World War II started. Maybe 70% of the project was finished, but some buildings were left partially constructed, others such as the huge Arc of the Empire, a 320 meter high landmark that was to be one of the main attractions of the fair, remained forever on the drawing table. In the fifties the world forgot about the World Fair that never happened. The only reminder was EUR ,a strange semi-finished town in the fields outside Rome with monumental buildings in travertine.

some pictures made by SdR (a member of the Italian Forum)

Eur Masterplan 1939 :

Arc of the Empire :

But the city grew fast and in the sixties the ambition was back to realize new things. There were the Olympics of 1960 and the need for infrastructure. And so it was decided to regenerate EUR. The gaps in the old masterplan were filled in :with sporting facilities for the Games (Palazzo dello Sport....).The artificial lake was constructed and the metro-line that was already planned to connect the World Fair with the city, was finished.

The city also needed modern buildings and offices for the government departments... . So it was convenient that there was this modern mini-city already waiting outside Rome to be developed. EUR got it's first office-buildings and "highrise"buildings. Rome for more than 40 years had the vision of relocating all offices of the governement, city-council, university,UN-FAO,...to a real modern Central Business District called SDO (Sistema Direzionale Orientale). Renzo Piano designed skyscrapers for the SDO, Kenzo Tange worked years on a masterplan...but after decades of talking and dreaming, the SDO is still a paper dream. Meanwhile however EUR took the role as "Rome's modern city", a roman version of a CBD. And it is still developping today, with the Europarco but also with projects like the convention center that will go under construction within a few weeks :

Last edited by CAESARS-PALACe; April 22nd, 2005 at 04:38 AM.
CAESARS-PALACe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 06:30 PM   #29
Wssps

Likes (Received): 1

don't like it at all
Wssps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 06:42 PM   #30
metallinestorm

Likes (Received): 2

the area of the Europarco looks very modern. but the so called skyscraper is common.
metallinestorm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 08:05 AM   #31
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 480

Thank god its no where near the Historical Heart. This is a dodgy building possibly made with lego that goes over the top with a hideous antenna. Frankly, this building looks like a 3 year olds design and the antenna looks like an after thought. If i was a roman id quickly become one of those anti development people that protest highrises. No wonder Rome dosent build much skyscrapers...
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 02:20 PM   #32
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 82

White skyscrapers never work. Go and take a look at city tower in Manchester built in the 60s it was white but it sure aint now.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 07:00 PM   #33
Justadude

Likes (Received): 1

Rome needs skyscrapers, but this is a terrible design. The antenna is creative but very distracting. The rest of the building...
Justadude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 07:59 PM   #34
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3695

Thanks, Caesars Palace, this addition of this building makes Rome's diagram a little bit more interesting since there are almost no highrises there.

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 08:20 PM   #35
nicholasliha
Pubescent Singaporean

Likes (Received): 4

actually i like the skyscraper (altho its height pales in asia's standard of skyscrapers - so should we even call it that?) but its solidness and bauhaus skin tone and colour makes it very italian. EUR, for one, is almost fascist in its exaltation of the ubiquitous Italian arch. Of course its unfair of me to associate fascism with contemporary Italian architecture, but i guess its just that business activities in Italy, such economy driving enterprises, go way back in history with Italy's whole movement of nationalism. In quick steps of sequence we saw the kingdom unification, the rise of the Facist party under Mussolini, and general industrialisation of a country otherwise popularised by its bucolic olive grove imagery. Business districts like this, just like in Paris, were designed by planners to be collectivised away from the original urban centres in solitary clumps of a unison style. Individual designs for the EUR then tingled with concepts of state engineered excellence in the business industry, and in the EUR's case, fascism lingered too recent in history for the minimalist whitewashed edifices to be construed as anything but.

But very italian! i think it works.

"Others are absolutely free; Singaporeans are absolutely not. Freedom is elsewhere." - Simon SC Tay, chairman of the Singapore Institute of International Affairs
nicholasliha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2005, 12:52 AM   #36
AcesHigh
Taking On The World

Likes (Received): 7957

Now I know why São Paulo architecture is not that great... because of the city was like 50% born in italy in 1900!!

On the other hand, the first São Paulo skyscraper, built by an italian in 1928, the Martinelly building, is awesome.
AcesHigh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2005, 01:04 AM   #37
Ellatur

Likes (Received): 10

reminds me of the proposal of 2012 olympics residence in queens, NYC
Ellatur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2005, 07:16 PM   #38
colin
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

great and class.looking like mussolinian architecture.
colin no está en línea   Reply With Quote